As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends]: It's something to do when Diablo 3 is down.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Also it is really depressing to do better than the rest of your team as bruiser Nidalee when you don't even know what to build or skill or even actually what e does in cat form.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    OK, here's the deal for captains and players:

Captains - Please show up in the painhouse channel about 5-10 minutes prior to 8PM EST. If you do not show, we will be forced to pick someone else to captain. Also, having a mic would be ideal. There will be a giant channel in Vent that you can join whenever.
    Players - Please join the "Painhouse Draft" channel at about 8PM EST, as that's when we will start picks. In addition, please set your summoner comment to "Mic" or "No Mic" so captains have an idea if you can jump on vent or not. If you are late or it looks like shenanigans (IE, people jumping into the draft pool when a certain captain is picking), you may be excluded from being picked.
    Picks will be based on SUMMONER names, not vent names. Once you have been picked, please leave the draft channel.
    Casters - please show up as early as possible so we can get you assigned.

Draft format will be snake draft with first captain determined via dice rolls (I or Rius will roll for everyone to prevent clusterfuckage). At some point soon I'll setup a google spreadsheet so everyone can view picks as they happen.
    As soon as the draft is finished, I'll hopefully have the game schedule up, including caster assignments. Casters are more than welcome to swap, but I do ask that you let me or rius know.

POSTGAME: Post your screenshots in the thread and shoot Rius and myself (if I'm on) a note indicating your game is done and who won. It is up to you to get in touch with the next team to play.

Spreadsheet link:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al8wcjKN9tZLdDNkTWdheE4xazFyZ21pMWxwWW0zUkE

schuss on
  • Options
    ZeroZedZeroZeroZedZero Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    OK, here's the deal for captains and players:

Captains - Please show up in the painhouse channel about 5-10 minutes prior to 8PM EST. If you do not show, we will be forced to pick someone else to captain. Also, having a mic would be ideal. There will be a giant channel in Vent that you can join whenever.
    Players - Please join the "Painhouse Draft" channel at about 8PM EST, as that's when we will start picks. In addition, please set your summoner comment to "Mic" or "No Mic" so captains have an idea if you can jump on vent or not. If you are late or it looks like shenanigans (IE, people jumping into the draft pool when a certain captain is picking), you may be excluded from being picked.
    Picks will be based on SUMMONER names, not vent names. Once you have been picked, please leave the draft channel.
    Casters - please show up as early as possible so we can get you assigned.

Draft format will be snake draft with first captain determined via dice rolls (I or Rius will roll for everyone to prevent clusterfuckage). At some point soon I'll setup a google spreadsheet so everyone can view picks as they happen.
    As soon as the draft is finished, I'll hopefully have the game schedule up, including caster assignments. Casters are more than welcome to swap, but I do ask that you let me or rius know.

POSTGAME: Post your screenshots in the thread and shoot Rius and myself (if I'm on) a note indicating your game is done and who won. It is up to you to get in touch with the next team to play.
    If I can't get into a team, I would be happy to spectator mode commentate and record/stream that stuff. Would be fun, and I have flavorful things to say. Would rather play, but I can totally do the commentating. Like a soccer commentator. So I expect many PENTAHKEEEEEEELS.

steam_sig.png
    Come watch me on my stream : http://www.own3d.tv/ZeroZedZero
  • Options
    Now streaming again. this time 5v5 with a PA group. http://www.own3d.tv/live/246159

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    I don't know why I watch TheOddOne's stream. His voice is fucking obnoxious.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Is studio still around? Maybe after recording tonights Painhouses somebody should send him the replay to see If it could become a daily :D

• Options
    Spreadsheet link:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al8wcjKN9tZLdDNkTWdheE4xazFyZ21pMWxwWW0zUkE

I'm not doing a player signup, as we'll just be going with who is in the draft channel. If you want to captain, PM me.

• Options
    Do Captains pick alternates or should there only be four picks, schuss?

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Captains; we're going to want to get through the draft and game lobby portions really quickly tonight; that is our goal, methinks. More time spent playing, less time spent organizing. So if you're going to be a captain, please be prepared to have the Painhouse Draft channel open in-game and also to have the player data google spreadsheet open. Or, alternatively, be prepared to pick people at random until you have five, hehe.

@ZeroZedZero, what are your internet speeds like? Xsplit is a free download and you can sign up for a free twitch.tv account. Combined, I was able to stream LoL at 480p/20fps with 3mbs upstream and have all my streams automatically saved on my twitch.tv channel for later watching. I set mine up last week at the last second and had some troubles; my first streamed game had no video and my second streamed game didn't get sorted out until 7 minutes in. So there's some configuration that needs to be done.

In the perfect situation we'd have two people spectating each game; both to comment and one to stream/record. I'm not entirely sure how you get a second person's commentating bundled into your stream but I imagine it's pretty simple. I'll look into that when I get home.

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Getting five level ten friends gets you a rune page, plus a total of 3750 IP. Not bad.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    In the perfect situation we'd have two people spectating each game; both to comment and one to stream/record. I'm not entirely sure how you get a second person's commentating bundled into your stream but I imagine it's pretty simple. I'll look into that when I get home.

There's a button for toggling whether you want to include your speaker sounds into the stream, so as long as you're talking to the person in vent/skype and you have that enabled it'll get picked up in your stream.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Black cleaver might have been good, I'll have to consider that.

It was Ashe/Janna/Ryze/Singed/Skarner vs. Corki/Soraka/Ahri/Swain/Udyr. Only Udyr had any armor that I remember at endgame (Randuins).

For Ashe Black Cleaver is not a great item. She is one of the few carries it almost never makes sense to buy it on unless the enemy has pretty much zero armor.

The reason for this is because of her Autocrit significantly increases the damage that she does before any shred from the Cleaver and it takes a lot of time, probably more time than your enemies have HP to make it up.

Also, on characters that don't have an AS steroid[or attack reset/ability weave] If your opponent has no armor and you already have boots2/IE/PD/BT get a second PD before another damage item. The move speed and crit will give you more effective damage than a BT will.
    Spectrum wrote: »
    Rammus is actually really dangerous to top and mid laners no matter what because of Flash Taunt. It doesn't matter how much you counterjungle him, similar to Amumu, he can just show up and get a successful gank in with the duration of taunt and his mechanics.
    He can also approach through pretty much any angle even with wards placed due to the strength of his q.

fake edit: I will not be captaining again. I might play, but i've no mic and that made things hard [pretty much had to delegate things]

Wat.

Goum ive punched and crunched on bs vs lw, bs beats lw until you are talking about 250ish armor when you have 2.0 as.

Black cleaver is amazingly good on ashe, after IE and PD. Her autocrit is not that statistically significant. Black cleaver is pretty much not good on any champ that depends on abilities to push damage, like Riven.

Also vs tanks, or things with lots of armor, what matters for a carry is that you just outlifesteal their damage, not kill them faster. Often being able to kill the things that can kill you is much more important. amumu has 350 armor? Big deal, as long as the enemy ap carry, ad carry and bruiser all have less than 250 you should get a bc over lw.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    nolifeking wrote: »
    I'm not saying ram isn't viable, or even good with certain pairings (ahri is devastating), but that in general he is not op, not ban worthy, and there are scarier junglers that can do his job better (Ali, amu).

I would much rather have Rammus than Ali or Amumu in the jungle. Ali and Amumu have scarey ganks, but amumu is even easier to counter jungle than rammus is, and both are harder to gank with [except maybe Ali's flash over the wraith wall] in warded lanes.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Draygo wrote: »
    Wat.

Goum ive punched and crunched on bs vs lw, bs beats lw until you are talking about 250ish armor when you have 2.0 as.

Black cleaver is amazingly good on ashe, after IE and PD. Her autocrit is not that statistically significant. Black cleaver is pretty much not good on any champ that depends on abilities to push damage, like Riven.

Also vs tanks, or things with lots of armor, what matters for a carry is that you just outlifesteal their damage, not kill them faster. Often being able to kill the things that can kill you is much more important. amumu has 350 armor? Big deal, as long as the enemy ap carry, ad carry and bruiser all have less than 250 you should get a bc over lw.

As have I and the reasonable break even is around 100 armor.[in fact I did it in "this" thread]

If you're calculating straight DPS you're doing it wrong. What you want to be calculating is actual damage/time. As in figuring out when attacks will hit and how much expected damage each will be doing. Then calculating the break even.

The cleaver does start doing more damage after the second or third attack [one to two stacks of the debuff] and starts landing attacks faster. But the damage advantage gained from

A: the first attack coming at time zero
    b: the absolute damage advantage on the first attacks

makes the break even point much higher than the raw dps difference would suggest. At the end you may have the black cleaver doing 100 more DPS to targets, but by the time it gets to that DPS advantage the Last Whisper will have dealt 4-500 more raw damage. Which is 5 seconds of auto attacks at +100 dps to recover from.

5 seconds is an eternity a team fight, so much so that your target will be long dead before the black cleaver makes up the damage.

Now this doesn't hold as true for characters that get AS buffs[that don't get them to 2.5 AS without BC] but it does hold true for Ashe.

Edit: The short answer was that you needed targets with lots of [3000+] hit points and little armor for the BC to be worth it on ashe, because the low hit point characters would be dead[only counting attacks from Ashe and no one else] long before the black cleaver made up the burst damage disadvantage.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    ali ganks at level 2 so there won't be wards. that's pretty much his goal- lv2 gank top and mid since they are practically guaranteed kills

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    oh balls, final project moved up to the last day of normal classes (yay nothing to do finals week) but that means no painhouse the next two weeks. hope they continue to grow by the time I can actually get involved.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Just a reminder; we could use a few more volunteers for Captaining duties before this evening. Punch and pie will be provided!*
    *There will be no punch and pie

Rius on
  • Options
    Note that captaining just involves picking a team. You don't actually have to lead them to victory. That's what your first pick is for...

• Options
    Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    I'll probably have my 720p stream up again for the games tonight. Can't play since I'm on call for work again and can't screw people by leaving mid game as a player.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    I call dibs for terrible co-caster!

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    @Ruis watch my stream i have up now and see if that's to your liking. I have really good internet speed, and my fps is pretty solid. http://www.own3d.tv/live/246159 <---for what you're lookin' for

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    So I'm sitting on 13000 IP......what do? Akali and another runepage just for her? (If so what runes usually?) Nothing really jumps out at me...I blame DoTA2.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeek wrote: »
    So I'm sitting on 13000 IP......what do? Akali and another runepage just for her? (If so what runes usually?) Nothing really jumps out at me...I blame DoTA2.

akali runepage (taken from rincent or westrice, I forget who):

flat ap quints, 7 flat ad marks, 2 mpen marks, flat armor yellows, flat ap blues.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    Anyone want to play games?

• Options
    muxmux Registered User regular
    So i was thinking after reading the item tear list by Elements that what he really should be doing is a tier list for initiates and pokes since i notice most teams forget to even take one when they are setting up their teams. I took a crack at it below on what I think is the best initiates but I'm wondering what you guys think.

T1: Ash, Malphite, ammumu, morgana, wukong, maokai, Hecarim, galio, alistar, Gragas, Nautilus, Sejuani, skarner
    T2: Sona, Veigar, Leona, annie, cassiopeia, Kennen, chogath, fiddlesticks
    T3: trundle, urgot, Gangplank, Shyvana, Janna, warwick, Jarvan, fizz

Mux
    n. 1. Dirt; filth; muck.
    v. t. 1. To mix in an untidy and offensive way; to make a mess of.
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    For those who have been really wanting a spectator mode for normals that you can join and leave after the game has started.....

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2063135

It's coming. Soon (tm)

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    This is literally the most terrible idea in the world that anyone has had about anything ever regarding any subject matter.

Until I pick support Veigar, and Ume rages for the first fucking time ever.

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Olaf vs. Nocturne without any health items is fun.

butts
  • Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Also, if I'm not playing, I'd love to commentate. Maybe a 0Z0/Harbaad commenting team? Best team since [insert your fav morning talk-show radio hosts].

Edit: ALSO, I skipped the first 10 pages, so I don't know wtf the latest conversation is.

Hargaad of Omnar on
    Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    That noct was horribad. For reals. Lane noct is a joke to begin with. Putting him against anything with any sort of sustain is just ASKING to feed that lane.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I'd love to painhouse, but thursday nights are best friend hang out nights.

That, and I'm terrible at this game. But mainly the first thing.

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    mux wrote: »
    So i was thinking after reading the item tear list by Elements that what he really should be doing is a tier list for initiates and pokes since i notice most teams forget to even take one when they are setting up their teams. I took a crack at it below on what I think is the best initiates but I'm wondering what you guys think.

T1: Ash, Malphite, ammumu, morgana, wukong, maokai, Hecarim, galio, alistar, Gragas, Nautilus, Sejuani, skarner

Singed for top half of T1.
    T0 should be "Why bother, these scrubs won't follow me in anyways."

• Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Ashe, Gragas, Sejuani, Malphite, Leona and Amumu should be god-tier for initiate
    Add Nocturne to tier 1
    Maybe trundle to tier 2.

That's what I would change, but I like the rest of it.

Edit - I say god-tier over tier 1 because they don't need any summoners to initiate, whereas most of the others do.

And Maokai to god-tier? That one's close I think.

Sampsen on
    Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Assistify!

assistify.jpg

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'd love to painhouse, but thursday nights are best friend hang out nights.

That, and I'm terrible at this game. But mainly the first thing.

Me too!

Do we know eachother?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    urgot should be higher than tier 3

a good swap can make a teamfight

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    mux wrote: »

Is this solely how strong they initiate or also what they offer to a team? I'd say Fizz's initiation alone is probably top tier, it has great range, damage, and is an aoe cc. It is at the very least better than Chogath who is a crap shoot.

Morgana is rated WAY too high, her initiation is very soft (does not instantaneously do CC or all of it's damage, can be broken beforehand), and relies on flash. If you're trying to rate COUNTER initiation, I guess you could put Morgana in that tier. She's also really squishy and needs Zhonya's to have T1 initiation. Catching someone with a Q is a good poke and can be something you initiate on, but only if the enemy team is really out of place (ie, they cannot fight with the rooted person where they are, it is less useful under their tower). Compare Morgana to Sejuani, who can charge forward and punish people with a 70% slow, and has a long range, instant stun AoE ultimate. Yet Sejuani is much lower.

Conversely, why is Kennen so low? Unlike Morgana, Kennen has innate tools to thrust himself forward into an enemy team and with his combo he can stun people MUCH faster. It's also harder for people to run out of, and it will grab people who wander into the aoe (as opposed to Morgana who won't catch someone who enters the range later).

Initiation should be ranked higher based on: the reliability and consistency of initiation, prioritizing range and CC (Ashe ult, Sejuani ult) or the ability to jump into the enemy team and perform your initiation (Malphite, Amumu, Kennen, etc). Then you can consider how often they can do it, and what their initiation skills beyond their ult are.

My tier 1 initiators are probably (in rough order): Amumu, Sejuani, Malphite, Nautilus, Maokai, Alistar, Hecarim, Kennen. Gragas I'm kind of on the fence on. It has really good range and can be very powerful but it can be inconsistent. The inconsistency is probably what shunts it into a tier 2 area with Morgana.

Just my opinion though, I'd be interested in seeing what other people think.

• Options
    vallavvallav Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Second for Noc, at least T2
    Also Hecarim should be in there, T2 or 3 I am Blind
    I'd also consider a few more to be at least T3, such as Viktor, Volibear, Panth and Renekton, but I'm very lenient / dive with just about anything lately.

vallav on
  • Options
    @schuss just realized I have no idea where my headset is after moving. I might not be able to captain.

huntresssig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.