As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends]: It's something to do when Diablo 3 is down.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    You can go BT first on Graves/Vayne since they're likely to be closer in a fight and taking damage the BT can heal. Everyone else should pretty much go IE.

graves is also one of those carries where you want to use his skills in fights instead of just letting your autos do all the work, so the extra AD on BT helps

• Options
    Hargaad of OmnarHargaad of Omnar New Badges? Fucking BOSS!Registered User regular
    game17.png
    Soraka's first kill is the ace that ends the game.
    Hargaad too OP. ^_^
    (Non-Edit) Edit: I really gotta get better at screen-capping when it happens. :( I had the ace!

Star Wars (2 separate links)
    Yelling at butts will never NOT be funny. Thanks, Psy!
    Also, Abby is awesome. Keep up with TLH because it's the tits!

I love League of Legends, but seriously...screw you, Teemo.
  • Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So I have been trying to do some research, because a bunch of my friends who have been playing a long time are wanting to get me into this game, and I'm still a noob. Is there some logic that dictates which lanes certain types of characters go to? It seems like when we play it's usually a ranged AD/support bottom, an AP carry mid, the jungler, then a more tanky fighter type top(though sometimes top is a guy who always plays Akali.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind AP/AD in which lanes and all that jazz.

AP characters are generally strong early game and scale off of their character level quite well, so they get the lane that is close to everyone else for gank opportunities early on, and extra experience

the bruiser that goes top lane goes there because they are a monster 1v1 and are trying to shut out the enemy top laner so that they have more money than them come late game

the two people go bot lane because ranged AD carries are VITAL to have on a competitive team, but they cannot survive on their own early game. They scale very well with money, but not with levels, so they get babysat while they farm all day. Later on, they do all the damage in the world.

the two people go bot lane instead of top because bot lane is close to the Dragon, which is super important early game.

This is an explanation of the highest level meta and the type of team comp you'll see in tournaments. The lower your ELO the more likely bot lane is going to end up being a kill lane of some kind (aggressive support + Ranged AD or assassin or AP + support, etc. etc.) and the less likely it is that any specific lane will see the sort of farm fest gameplay that you see at the top levels of play.

TLDR: Since pros tend to make less mistakes games at that level are more about farming and less about kills.

Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Arikado wrote: »

blitz + janna = bff

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    IE + vamp sceptre is enough lifesteal to heal up from minion waves and you should beat someone who went straight for BT all other things equal.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    So I have been trying to do some research, because a bunch of my friends who have been playing a long time are wanting to get me into this game, and I'm still a noob. Is there some logic that dictates which lanes certain types of characters go to? It seems like when we play it's usually a ranged AD/support bottom, an AP carry mid, the jungler, then a more tanky fighter type top(though sometimes top is a guy who always plays Akali.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out the reasoning behind AP/AD in which lanes and all that jazz.

AP characters are generally strong early game and scale off of their character level quite well, so they get the lane that is close to everyone else for gank opportunities early on, and extra experience

the bruiser that goes top lane goes there because they are a monster 1v1 and are trying to shut out the enemy top laner so that they have more money than them come late game

the two people go bot lane because ranged AD carries are VITAL to have on a competitive team, but they cannot survive on their own early game. They scale very well with money, but not with levels, so they get babysat while they farm all day. Later on, they do all the damage in the world.

the two people go bot lane instead of top because bot lane is close to the Dragon, which is super important early game.

This is an explanation of the highest level meta and the type of team comp you'll see in tournaments. The lower your ELO the more likely bot lane is going to end up being a kill lane of some kind (aggressive support + Ranged AD or assassin or AP + support, etc. etc.) and the less likely it is that any specific lane will see the sort of farm fest gameplay that you see at the top levels of play.

TLDR: Since pros tend to make less mistakes games at that level are more about farming and less about kills.

yes, absolutely

but the support + ad carry at bot lane and mid mage thing has kinda seeped through the game at all levels, and that's the explanation as to what the advantages are

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Arikado wrote: »

blitz + janna = bff

you can see me die like a scrub there :c

• Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rami wrote: »
    IE + vamp sceptre is enough lifesteal to heal up from minion waves and you should beat someone who went straight for BT all other things equal.

IE + vamp scepter = 3830 + 450 = 4280
    BT = 3000, that's 1280 difference, or the cost of a zeal + ward

BT is an earlier and better item if you can stay alive. You still get the IE, it's just later.

Sampsen on
    Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Rami wrote: »
    I mentioned specific champs for a reason. I mean, I don't think anyone would quibble that Graves+BT stomps Cait+IE head to head. ;X That said, in small fights, Cait wants to stay safe and use the IE for her autos while Graves is at least a little more likely to buckshot or whathaveyou and take some splash from close dashes. (Although IE is also great on him)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Arivia wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »
    So I get that the passive on Graves makes lifesteal more effective, but for AD carries in general when is it better to finish a BT instead of just picking up a vamp scepter on the way to your IE?

Never. IE's the thing that will launch you into the stratosphere of carrying. Why delay?

Because you want to live. On a champion like Vayne or Graves who have a little more AD spell based burst than Ashe or Cait you're going to see BT valued slightly more than IE in build order.

EDIT: 13 second silence on Doom is redonk

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Hey when are new sales posted for this game? Just bought a prepaid card and deciding if I want to wait to do some shoppin'.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/League_of_Legends_Wiki will tell you about sales both current and upcoming on their homepage.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Hey when are new sales posted for this game? Just bought a prepaid card and deciding if I want to wait to do some shoppin'.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Awesome thanks!

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    re: IE vs BT -
    The other factor besides which champion you're playing is whether you have much confidence in your team's ability to let you do your job; the less you have, the wiser it is to get a Bloodthirster. As mentioned, Graves ends up needing to do his job up in people's face, long-run, so he's sort of the guy it makes most sense to rush one on; the True Grit resists are just gravy.

Oh, and @Sampsen is dead on: I actually DO have a BT and a Zeal by the time the enemy carry has his IE on Graves unless a game has gotten out of hand early. It causes fun times.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    You can go BT first on Graves/Vayne since they're likely to be closer in a fight and taking damage the BT can heal. Everyone else should pretty much go IE.

corki should go BC BT....

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Every now and then you wind up in a game with other players who are in it to have some fun:
    3lmQg.jpg

This on
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    The only time Olaf lane isn't fun is if you're in a lane against Olaf.

butts
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Playing my first ranked game

Preparing to get screamed at

• Options
    Ap taric on dominion is so funny.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Cass get Ezreal! Best carry in the game! Ignore these new emo Ionian archers!

time for a true display of skill????

• Options
    TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Cass get Ezreal! Best carry in the game! Ignore these new emo Ionian archers!

time for a true display of skill????

Piltover for life.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I kind of want to do team FUCK YOU YOU AIN'T GOING NOWHERE

Leona/Varus bottom

Amumu jungle

Galio mid

Kennen? top

ults and ults and ults and ults

Yeah. Everything re: Varus seems dubious to me except his ult. It looks boss.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    I kind of want to do team FUCK YOU YOU AIN'T GOING NOWHERE

Leona/Varus bottom

Amumu jungle

Galio mid

Kennen? top

ults and ults and ults and ults

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Breaking in a new ranked team the right way. Maokai secret OP.
    Dl0x0.jpg

It's Springtime for Hatler.

No, I'm not vain, why do you ask?

• Options
    I forgot how hilarious it is to play headgames and troll people as Leblanc.

The look on someone's face when you escape a fight with half a bar left and they have 3 bars, only to jump back and instagib them is priceless.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Aaaaaaand our Nocture jungle doesn't take smite

SMH

• Options

The look on someone's face when you escape a fight with half a bar left and they have 3 bars, only to jump back and instagib them is priceless.

One of the recordings of Painhouse Week 2 has me getting smoked on Taric from about 3/4ths by basically that move. ;_;

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Soraka'd pretty hard the last couple games. She gets more awesome the more comfortable I get with her ranges. :bz:

Thanks @Auralynx for the Soraka advice earlier!

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Soraka'd pretty hard the last couple games. She gets more awesome the more comfortable I get with her ranges. :bz:

No problem, dude. Glad you're getting more mileage out of her now.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

One of the recordings of Painhouse Week 2 has me getting smoked on Taric from about 3/4ths by basically that move. ;_;
    I was midding against Ryze last game and got him like three times with that.

Once he was backing at his tower after getting away from my combo. W into range, QE dead.

Twice he was under my tower after I had W'd away. I used the blinkback on W, (DFG/Ignite)QE dead.

And yeah, being a support in a game with an enemy Leblanc is the worst feeling. I caught Sona in a bush, she ulted me and Flashed away, didn't matter, basic QR killed her, didn't even set it off or DFG.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Refusing not to play Teemo in whatever role should really just be a reportable offense. No, he's not an ad carry, and you're throwing our team comp.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SpoonySpoony Registered User regular
    I don't mind babysitting ADs in bot, but if a whiny Trist is going to complain when I get a kill after she doesn't pursue a sure thing, I want an extra $2/hour and full fridge privileges.

Power Chord/Q combo put a lot of hurt on Ashe. Helped that her Kayle was a moron.

• Options
    Refusing not to play Teemo in whatever role should really just be a reportable offense. No, he's not an ad carry, and you're throwing our team comp.

8->

Use bans to enforce metas. That'll fix everything.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

Teemo can AD carry. Not the best, but not bad. I bet that he is a lot better than people realize after the buffs and fixes recently.

His harass is really strong so long as the fight isn't sustained since he does 33 damage with his level 1 w over the duration. His blind is also really really good for early bottom lane fights. Since he has shrooms he is very safe, can contribute to warding and protect dragon.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

It wouldn't hurt to do a little research on how some of the champs can be built, and it may also help to generally just think of the Meta as a guideline. You seem to post a lot about frustrations with people not playing within your Box, when the game allows for a wide variety of team compositions. It may help to ease some of your frustrations and make the game more enjoyable for you.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular
    Cleanse is real fun against LeBlanc, especially if you have some way to root her in place when she uses W. Or if you're Ryze and you get a negatron real early, she can't damage you anymore and you can maul her.

butts
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    so if I build 5 zeals on singed

how much will people want to chase me

• Options
    Jars wrote: »
    so if I build 5 zeals on singed

how much will people want to chase me

this is a terrible idea

build six zeals

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    rampart win streaks on dominion inevitably lead to 5-10 minute queues. assssss

• Options

sounds like someone is underestimating the power of the scout's code

This discussion has been closed.