As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[League of Legends]: It's something to do when Diablo 3 is down.

• Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Rami wrote: »
    If you could pm in spec surely people would just use it to cheat and tell their friends what the enemy team is doing. Not that you couldn't do that with vent but at least it isn't as easy.

There is a 3 min delay on spectator mode.

Miniwolf on
    League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    If you could pm in spec surely people would just use it to cheat and tell their friends what the enemy team is doing. Not that you couldn't do that with vent but at least it isn't as easy.

there is a 3 minute delay so it would be pretty hard.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    LoL also works well enough with steam overlay, so there's that as well.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    So wait, LoL is adding Dota 2's "drop in, drop out" spectator thingy? It's called 'Watch' in Dota 2.

Kind of, not sure how it works in Dota2 as that game is horrendous. But in LoL you will be able to join your friends games in progress and spectate them, you will also be able to rewind the game in progress, slow it down, speed it up, and see both sides of the conflict in addition to the spectate mode having an AI controlled Camera that tries to follows the action if you just want to sit back and watch. This will make the commentating on PAinhouse games pretty amazing I think.

Of course there is also the Spectator Spotlight that you can watch to get a better idea http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/next-patch-full-release-spectator-mode

I disagree that Dota 2 is horrendous...but aside from that, Dota 2's spectator mode is quite a bit more than that. You can join any game from anyone and watch it, with full spectator controls. There is a built in two minute delay to stop tournament cheating. The "Home" area even has the top 3 games currently played, as determined by the MMR of the players involved (generally the top 3 games listed will have multiple of the best players in the world, depending on time of day).

At any rate, it's cool to see Riot headed that direction. I've said since I saw the feature that I think this kind of free-form spectator mode is going to be a must-have feature in future competitive games. I wouldn't be even remotely shocked to see Blizzard jam it in to SC2 either with HotS or LotV.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MiniwolfMiniwolf Probably somewhere sniffing somethingRegistered User regular
    So wait, LoL is adding Dota 2's "drop in, drop out" spectator thingy? It's called 'Watch' in Dota 2.

Kind of, not sure how it works in Dota2 as that game is horrendous. But in LoL you will be able to join your friends games in progress and spectate them, you will also be able to rewind the game in progress, slow it down, speed it up, and see both sides of the conflict in addition to the spectate mode having an AI controlled Camera that tries to follows the action if you just want to sit back and watch. This will make the commentating on PAinhouse games pretty amazing I think.

Of course there is also the Spectator Spotlight that you can watch to get a better idea http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/next-patch-full-release-spectator-mode

I disagree that Dota 2 is horrendous...but aside from that, Dota 2's spectator mode is quite a bit more than that. You can join any game from anyone and watch it, with full spectator controls. There is a built in two minute delay to stop tournament cheating. The "Home" area even has the top 3 games currently played, as determined by the MMR of the players involved (generally the top 3 games listed will have multiple of the best players in the world, depending on time of day).

At any rate, it's cool to see Riot headed that direction. I've said since I saw the feature that I think this kind of free-form spectator mode is going to be a must-have feature in future competitive games. I wouldn't be even remotely shocked to see Blizzard jam it in to SC2 either with HotS or LotV.

There are also 'must watch' games as well that will have the TOP ELO players playing. You have full control over the camera as well. In fact everything described is the Spectator system.

League Of Legends: Ulven
    Q98DBY0.pngwolfmini.png
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Can we please play a game where we just have a bunch of characters from the Freljord and just crank Led Zepplin Immigrant song? Ashe, Nunu, Tryn, Sejuani and Volibear?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    So yeah, playing a game and the 20% reduction in Q damage at rank 5 REALLY hurts. I kinda wish they'd just revert all warwick changes.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Sampsen wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Kay wrote: »
    Nunu helps AD Kennen proc his extra damage and Mark passive more often.

Nunu is great for Kog'maw (even though Kog has its own attack speed buff in Q), Ashe, MF, Teemo, Vayne and should be good with Varus when he's released. He's not as good with Graves, Tristana or Ezreal because they already have their own AS buffs, and/or are more castery than the more traditional ADs.

Eh. Vayne is not a good pick with Nunu. The attack speed is nice, but Vanye doesn't really need it. She has two attack reset abilities which allow her to ability weave and she should be picking up her damage boost last not first [in comparison to MF/Kog'Maw/Teemo.

Every level of q is a supermassive boost to your reposition and every level of e is 35 to 75 damage. In order to get another level of w to be worth a level of e you would have to be attacking upwards of 6 to 9 times on the same target assuming they have ~100 armor. If you're comboing someone q/aa/e/aa/aa then they'll be dead long before you make it to the 6th attack.

Vayne is much better paired with either Janna/Taric/Alistar/Lenoa because those can punish and set up Vayne for a knock into the wall.

This is just plain wrong. Vayne/Nunu is incredibly powerful and just needs to be played properly before level 9. Attack speed/movement speed buffs on Vayne are absolutely terrifying, and I question that you have ever played Vayne.
    I have to agree with Sampsen here. Vayne/Nunu is an amazing lane. Nunu's slows and Blood Boil coupled with Vayne's repositioning through Tumble and her own Passive movespeed boost while chasing mean that it's INCREDIBLY easy to set up great Condemns, and it's near-impossible for people to run away from Vayne's consistent sustained damage as well as her insane burst. The short range is a reason to play conservatively until they make a mistake, or until Nunu's tanky enough to just walk into the pair of them to start the pain train.

Also, Nunu-bush-ults are hilarious, and it is so MEAN for Vayne to Condemn them into the wall beside Nunu while he's ulting, as if to say 'Look, he's right here,' as well as pretty easy to do.

Vayne/Nunu is pretty great. Janna/Taric/Alistar/Leona are also pretty great for Vayne, but Vayne's range makes it very hard for her to capitalise on a stun/knockup/etc unless she's right in their face all the time. The duration of Nunu's Ice Ball coupled with the insanity of Blood Boil is what makes it so great.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Spectating is pretty slick.

The auto focus feature isn't bad either if you're not trying to focus on a single person.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular

The auto focus feature isn't bad either if you're not trying to focus on a single person.

yeah i am surprised at how good it is! I have to readjust it every once in a while (uncontested dragon is more interesting than someone basing, for instance) but overall it's really nice

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    Warwick was strong before he got buffs to his passive, which was buffed only because he was a shitty jungler (he still is, if the other team knows what they're doing). His late game pre-buffs was pretty OP, and post-buffs was super OP, and now he'll go back to pretty OP again.

Hahaha. "Super OP?" Maybe with the build in your sig the scaling Q and Madred's might have been a bit rough.
    One of the biggest problems/coolest things about WW was that he could end a 5v5 as the only person alive (with 1hp, even), and could still push a tower+inhib and get away safely.

Nope. Every AD carry in the game kills turrets faster than WW does. He kills them a lot faster than other tanks / tanky DPS, I'll give you that.
    Jars wrote: »
    I guess they don't agree with you on this. warwick isn't going to get unnerfed here I can tell you that.

As long as they nerf down all the vastly more overpowered champs, that's fine. It's more a priority issue then a "OMG WW is destroyed."

40%CDR Tankwick has great team fight presence, will chunk the fuck out of anyone not building MR, and is pretty impossible to kill if decently farmed. His damage is great, it's just great for how damned tanky he is. Madreds/Void WW is pretty fucking scary, though.

Invincibility is both dependent on an incredible early/mid game, and only lasts in average length games. If you exceed average game length, there is no tank build in LOL that scales as well as offense builds.

I'm not disputing he was tough, but again, melee champ with no defense ability, no gap closer (on targets at 51%+ HP), no CC, except for an ultimate, it's kind of mandatory.
    Also, I didn't say a thing about him being 'faster than AD', I just said that he could do it. If there's an enemy creep wave nearby, full build WW can back door a tower taking no damage by Qing creeps (80% AS buff too stronk).

Look up at the quote tree. You said it was a huge problem that if he was the last champ alive, he could down a tower and inhib by himself, but I'd go so far as to say 1/4 of the entire champion roster is as good or better at that than he is. And even still, BDing with WW while tanking tower hits is more of a gamble than you are letting on. Backdooring in general is actually quite unpopular now in my experience.

programjunkie on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

yeah i am surprised at how good it is! I have to readjust it every once in a while (uncontested dragon is more interesting than someone basing, for instance) but overall it's really nice

Its nice. I'm working on some stuff in photoshop on one monitor and I've got it up on the other. Shows me the action and I don't have to babysit it.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SampsenSampsen Aggressive Berserker Registered User regular

Nunu is great for Kog'maw (even though Kog has its own attack speed buff in Q), Ashe, MF, Teemo, Vayne and should be good with Varus when he's released. He's not as good with Graves, Tristana or Ezreal because they already have their own AS buffs, and/or are more castery than the more traditional ADs.

Eh. Vayne is not a good pick with Nunu. The attack speed is nice, but Vanye doesn't really need it. She has two attack reset abilities which allow her to ability weave and she should be picking up her damage boost last not first [in comparison to MF/Kog'Maw/Teemo.

Every level of q is a supermassive boost to your reposition and every level of e is 35 to 75 damage. In order to get another level of w to be worth a level of e you would have to be attacking upwards of 6 to 9 times on the same target assuming they have ~100 armor. If you're comboing someone q/aa/e/aa/aa then they'll be dead long before you make it to the 6th attack.

Vayne is much better paired with either Janna/Taric/Alistar/Lenoa because those can punish and set up Vayne for a knock into the wall.

This is just plain wrong. Vayne/Nunu is incredibly powerful and just needs to be played properly before level 9. Attack speed/movement speed buffs on Vayne are absolutely terrifying, and I question that you have ever played Vayne.
    I have to agree with Sampsen here. Vayne/Nunu is an amazing lane. Nunu's slows and Blood Boil coupled with Vayne's repositioning through Tumble and her own Passive movespeed boost while chasing mean that it's INCREDIBLY easy to set up great Condemns, and it's near-impossible for people to run away from Vayne's consistent sustained damage as well as her insane burst. The short range is a reason to play conservatively until they make a mistake, or until Nunu's tanky enough to just walk into the pair of them to start the pain train.

Also, Nunu-bush-ults are hilarious, and it is so MEAN for Vayne to Condemn them into the wall beside Nunu while he's ulting, as if to say 'Look, he's right here,' as well as pretty easy to do.

Vayne/Nunu is pretty great. Janna/Taric/Alistar/Leona are also pretty great for Vayne, but Vayne's range makes it very hard for her to capitalise on a stun/knockup/etc unless she's right in their face all the time. The duration of Nunu's Ice Ball coupled with the insanity of Blood Boil is what makes it so great.

Thanks for elaborating! I'm stuck at work and can't post anything detailed.

But really, Vayne/Nunu is so much fun, and even if you get a little behind early, this lane can come back in a big hurry once Nunu gets tanky and Vayne has levels to make her abilities hurt. She's also one of the few champs that I've found varying skill builds on, they are all viable depending on the lane you are against.

Sampsen_na_104_5_logo.png
  • Options
    Miniwolf wrote: »

There are also 'must watch' games as well that will have the TOP ELO players playing. You have full control over the camera as well. In fact everything described is the Spectator system.

But can you browse every game currently being played on the system and join a random one?

At any rate, it sounds extremely similar, which is good.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

But can you browse every game currently being played on the system and join a random one?

unfortunately no, but that might come at some point :)

• Options

Probably. And still very cool that Riot added it. The more games with it, the more pressure there is for game makers to include it in their competitive games.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Yeah, it's basically giving Vayne the pubstomp zeal-stack build on top of whatever she's actually buying. It's nuts.

Also, re: spec-mode, clearly we need to start mass-speccing ChaosHat's team and other PA guys while in our own little Vent room and pretend we're in a sports-bar.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular

Did you watch the video I linked? It details out pretty much exactly how the system works. I don't think you can browse every game playing (That would be an absurdly long list considering how many Games of LoL are going at any given time) but you can spectate anyone on your friends list and it also features the Top ELO games that are currently running. The spectate mode also has a forced 3 minute delay, and has time controls so you can go back and rewatch something you may have missed, and slow it down to an almost frame by frame if you so desire. Then you can speed it up, bounce around or fast forward back to the "live" action.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular

I don't think they are planning on adding the ability to watch any game, I think the whole only friend list and top tier players is due to privacy/harassment concerns.

• Options

Did you watch the video I linked? It details out pretty much exactly how the system works. I don't think you can browse every game playing (That would be an absurdly long list considering how many Games of LoL are going at any given time) but you can spectate anyone on your friends list and it also features the Top ELO games that are currently running. The spectate mode also has a forced 3 minute delay, and has time controls so you can go back and rewatch something you may have missed, and slow it down to an almost frame by frame if you so desire. Then you can speed it up, bounce around or fast forward back to the "live" action.

No, I didn't watch the video, because I'm at work. I can get away with posting on the forums, but I can't watch videos. You can lay off the defensive attitude a little bit.

• Options
    Neaden wrote: »

I don't think they are planning on adding the ability to watch any game, I think the whole only friend list and top tier players is due to privacy/harassment concerns.

Harassment? I would be shocked if the spectators can interact with the players in any meaningful way. Privacy I can sort of see, but they just need to give people the option to mark themselves and their games private. I would venture to guess that the number of games being played is a bigger issue.

• Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Warwick was strong before he got buffs to his passive, which was buffed only because he was a shitty jungler (he still is, if the other team knows what they're doing). His late game pre-buffs was pretty OP, and post-buffs was super OP, and now he'll go back to pretty OP again.

Hahaha. "Super OP?" Maybe with the build in your sig the scaling Q and Madred's might have been a bit rough.
    One of the biggest problems/coolest things about WW was that he could end a 5v5 as the only person alive (with 1hp, even), and could still push a tower+inhib and get away safely.

Nope. Every AD carry in the game kills turrets faster than WW does. He kills them a lot faster than other tanks / tanky DPS, I'll give you that.
    Jars wrote: »
    I guess they don't agree with you on this. warwick isn't going to get unnerfed here I can tell you that.

As long as they nerf down all the vastly more overpowered champs, that's fine. It's more a priority issue then a "OMG WW is destroyed."

40%CDR Tankwick has great team fight presence, will chunk the fuck out of anyone not building MR, and is pretty impossible to kill if decently farmed. His damage is great, it's just great for how damned tanky he is. Madreds/Void WW is pretty fucking scary, though.

Invincibility is both dependent on an incredible early/mid game, and only lasts in average length games. If you exceed average game length, there is no tank build in LOL that scales as well as offense builds.

I'm not disputing he was tough, but again, melee champ with no defense ability, no gap closer (on targets at 51%+ HP), no CC, except for an ultimate, it's kind of mandatory.
    Also, I didn't say a thing about him being 'faster than AD', I just said that he could do it. If there's an enemy creep wave nearby, full build WW can back door a tower taking no damage by Qing creeps (80% AS buff too stronk).

Look up at the quote tree. You said it was a huge problem that if he was the last champ alive, he could down a tower and inhib by himself, but I'd go so far as to say 1/4 of the entire champion roster is as good or better at that than he is. And even still, BDing with WW while tanking tower hits is more of a gamble than you are letting on. Backdooring in general is actually quite unpopular now in my experience.

I can't tell I'm being unclear or if you're specifically trying to misunderstand me.

@gnome there's no list, but you can drop-in spectate anyone on your friends list.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Insomuch as any Auto Attacker works great with attack speed/movement speed buffs yes. Insomuch as I would prefer it to someone with hard CC and/or relocate? Not particularly.

Edit: Maybe its because I am not entirely too scared of Vayne since i like to play Ashe a lot and Ashe is pretty strong against Vayne but i've never seen a Vayne/Nunu that was particularly effective like nunu is with other champions or Vayne is with someone with a relocate.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options

No, I didn't watch the video, because I'm at work. I can get away with posting on the forums, but I can't watch videos. You can lay off the defensive attitude a little bit.

Say what? O.o

I was just honestly curious if you watched it, I also continued on assuming you hadn't and detailed out more information about the system for you.

I don't think i'm the one with the defensive attitude here...

Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I'm thinking my next 2 champs will be Varus and Lulu. I'm really wanting another AD Carry to add to my roster, since I seem to get burned out on them pretty quick.

And Lulu because I'm getting tired of Support Sona, but need another support with strong harass and good team fight ability.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Harassment? I would be shocked if the spectators can interact with the players in any meaningful way. Privacy I can sort of see, but they just need to give people the option to mark themselves and their games private. I would venture to guess that the number of games being played is a bigger issue.

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

• Options

Say what? O.o

I was just honestly curious if you watched it, I also continued on assuming you hadn't and detailed out more information about the system for you.

I don't think i'm the one with the defensive attitude here...

Sorry, it's the way you asked the question, I thought it was in a "God, did you even watch teh video you newb?!" way, not a "here, let me feed you more information" way. Ahhh, the joys of inflection-less text.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

My point is, I doubt that's possible. I don't think spectators can send chat messages to the game proper. If they can, that's a huge flaw in the system.

• Options

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

My point is, I doubt that's possible. I don't think spectators can send chat messages to the game proper. If they can, that's a huge flaw in the system.

Yeah, we're on the same page. I'm demonstrating what it would be like if they could. ;)

• Options

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

I could still see someone from a game getting angry at you and following you into your next game so that after they can trash talk you about it.
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/season-two-championship-october-13-los-angeles
    Season 2 championship stuff.

• Options

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

I think you could still PM people using the whisper system.

/w SoandSo Hahahaha nooblord 3 minutes ago that Warwick pwn3d your @ss

God I hope not, can anyone test that?

delphinidaes.png
  • Options

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

of course you can't do that :S

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

I could still see someone from a game getting angry at you and following you into your next game so that after they can trash talk you about it.
    http://na.leagueoflegends.com/news/season-two-championship-october-13-los-angeles

season 2 world championships should be excellent

looking forward to sick stuff from both MiG teams and taipei assassins

hopefully CLG too, if they can figure out how to stop being dicks to each other for ten minutes

• Options

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

hopefully CLG too, if they can figure out how to stop being dicks to each other for ten minutes
    I really want to see how the Asian meta has developed since from what I understand it is pretty different.

• Options

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

Make no assumptions! Has anyone tried it yet?

delphinidaes.png
  • Options

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

yeah when they added the whisper system lol

• Options
    edited May 2012

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

The only way I could chat was to tab out, click over to the client, and open up pre-existing conversations with friends. I don't recall if you can whisper out of chatrooms, though. Even if so that's a problem easily solved by /ignore unless the other guy's name is in moon-runes or ASCII nonsense.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular

Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Nooblord
    Hackee is a Nooblord

etc. You get the idea.

I really want to see how the Asian meta has developed since from what I understand it is pretty different.

have you been watching the OGN games?

south korean teams play with an absurd level of early game aggression

• Options
    I wish it would tell you who's watching you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CW7YqttuQmE

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    have you been watching the OGN games?

south korean teams play with an absurd level of early game aggression

Safe to assume they still love them some Pantheon, then?

This discussion has been closed.