As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Confused: I am at a bar. Talking to Russian bartender. "Casually" drop that I co-organize a meetup for Eastern Europeans. Ask her for number of place so I can talk to manager. She gives me the business card of the place and writes her cell phone number on the back. She's excessively hot. I'm a chubby asshole. What is her cell number for?

You asked her for "number of place so I can talk to manager".

She gave you a number.

Presumably, the number is for the place, so you can talk to manager.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I didn't think GW was developed by americans. I thought it was asian.

ArenaNet is based in Seattle and was founded by ex-Diablo developers.

Oh I thought GW was NCSoft

They are the publisher, but NCSoft owns other American companies too. City of Heroes is also American.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    putting too much thought into something no one really gives a shit about

if you were my robot I'd disassemble you

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Confused: I am at a bar. Talking to Russian bartender. "Casually" drop that I co-organize a meetup for Eastern Europeans. Ask her for number of place so I can talk to manager. She gives me the business card of the place and writes her cell phone number on the back. She's excessively hot. I'm a chubby asshole. What is her cell number for?

This is what you will do: The next meet up you organize call her (text her, whatever) and invite her. But make it a "Just wanted to give you a heads up, the next meet up is happening (when/where)."

Play it cool. I hear Russians like that.

• Options
    I didn't think GW was developed by americans. I thought it was asian.

ArenaNet is based in Seattle and was founded by ex-Diablo developers.

Oh I thought GW was NCSoft

They are the publisher but they own other American companies too. City of Heroes is American and also NCSoft.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Avengers is sporting 97% on RT. Only has 2 negative reviews, and at least one of those reviews is mislabeled, because their score for the movie was 3 out 5 which is over 60% which is not rotten by RT's standards.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Warhammer: Online went into the shitter after T3 for me. T4 was even worse. But the real kicker was that the city sieges was just fucking awful and basically involved little PVP

just a big shitty public quest that required ridiculous PVE gear

hehe, I couldn't even get more than a little way into Tier 2 before the wife and I gave it up. And we both had collectors edition boxes (though the minis and such that came with it were damn nice)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    _J_ wrote: »
    So does GW2 feel grindy

in an asian way

is it korean grindy

I like that we've come to a point in our understanding of MMOs where we ask if it "feels grindy" instead of asking if it "is grindy".

It's as if we've all accepted that MMOs are, fundamentally, gigantic grinding / farming enterprises. So now what we want is the illusion that we aren't grinding.

It's kind of adorable.

I know this is exactly the kind of thing you will pretend not to understand in an elaborate troll, but how is paying attention to the emotional response to a videogame "adorable"? As opposed to "the entire fucking point"?

It presumes something objective to emotive responses. The answer to the question of whether X "feels" grindy will depending upon the feeling mechanism of the entity in question. This is especially true if we take "grindy" to be a pejorative that stands in the place of "boring". So we're asking "Does GW2 feel boring", as if there was a universal rubric for discerning what does or does not cause the emotive response of feeling bored.

I just think it's an adorable way to assess MMOs. Rather than accept that they are elaborate graphical user interfaces over databases, we try to gussy them up as somehow not grindy by masking the grind. It's delving further into the illusion, rather than simply accepting that an MMO is a clicky clickfest of clicks.

But, you know, robot.

the bolded is true of every videogame ever.

Yes.

That has been my point every time we've had this argument on the forum.

• Options
    So does GW2 feel grindy

in an asian way

is it korean grindy

I like that we've come to a point in our understanding of MMOs where we ask if it "feels grindy" instead of asking if it "is grindy".

It's as if we've all accepted that MMOs are, fundamentally, gigantic grinding / farming enterprises. So now what we want is the illusion that we aren't grinding.

It's kind of adorable.

I know this is exactly the kind of thing you will pretend not to understand in an elaborate troll, but how is paying attention to the emotional response to a videogame "adorable"? As opposed to "the entire fucking point"?

It presumes something objective to emotive responses. The answer to the question of whether X "feels" grindy will depending upon the feeling mechanism of the entity in question. This is especially true if we take "grindy" to be a pejorative that stands in the place of "boring". So we're asking "Does GW2 feel boring", as if there was a universal rubric for discerning what does or does not cause the emotive response of feeling bored.

I just think it's an adorable way to assess MMOs. Rather than accept that they are elaborate graphical user interfaces over databases, we try to gussy them up as somehow not grindy by masking the grind. It's delving further into the illusion, rather than simply accepting that an MMO is a clicky clickfest of clicks.

But, you know, robot.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    So does GW2 feel grindy

in an asian way

is it korean grindy

It's kind of adorable.

But, you know, robot.

They don't have to be that way, and I wouldn't characterize Guild Wars 2 in that way.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    i am so excited for the avengers i am nauseous

however!

my excitement is curbed every time i remember it's not just an iron man and captain america buddy cop movie

i give zero shits about hawkeye, thor, black widow or the hulk

• Options
    J aren't you just a database with an interactive GUI

to be fair

My interface is more than graphical, baby.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    J aren't you just a database with an interactive GUI

to be fair

• Options
    Games are elaborate lies in many ways but I don't see that as a problem. That is the point of a video game.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

This is what you will do: The next meet up you organize call her (text her, whatever) and invite her. But make it a "Just wanted to give you a heads up, the next meet up is happening (when/where)."

Pda_sie_portrait.jpg

• Options
    So does GW2 feel grindy

in an asian way

is it korean grindy

It's kind of adorable.

But, you know, robot.

Yes.

That has been my point every time we've had this argument on the forum.

and once again you completely miss the value of how good - or not - that elaborate graphical user interface really is.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Chris Evans is ugly as fuck without hair.

He's just one of those guys that looks like a cancer patient with a shaved head.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    So apparently I could have played a bunch of Mass Effect.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Games are elaborate lies in many ways but I don't see that as a problem. That is the point of a video game.

"Lie" may be too strong a word.

Pretty pictures over a mathematical system is, perhaps, a more accurate description.

When people priviledge the pictures over the system, they're confusing what's really going on.

I don't think it's absurd to notice this. There does seem to be a trend that occurs where one shifts from the "oo this is novel and shiny and pretty" to "ok, let's figure out the system" when gaming.

• Options
    edited April 2012

Pda_sie_portrait.jpg

Alright, change of plan...

(smoking is gross kids, just say no)

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I want to see a Coulson: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. movie so bad.

Ludious on
  • Options
    Interpreting games like that just isn't helpful or useful to me. It's also rather disparaging.

• Options
    Interpreting games like that just isn't helpful or useful to me. It's also rather disparaging.

It's a description rather than an interpretation.

Interpretation is what happens when on priviledges the pictures / experience over the code.

Description is 1001010100100101011101010101.

• Options
    argarg. this ibuprofun better start working soon.

there is one muscle in my back that just hates it when I use that lawnmower.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Chris Evans is ugly as fuck without hair.

He's just one of those guys that looks like a cancer patient with a shaved head.

DID HE SHAVE HIS HEAD?!

• Options
    It's adorable when J tries to act human

• Options
    It's adorable when J tries to act human

iStock_000008976565XSmall.jpg

• Options
    It's like he's a little person!

• Options

it's about as dumb as saying you can't change art

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

:winky:

You know what's weird, Mim? For some reason, you popped into my head as I was typing this post. I have no idea why. But anyways...

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options

It's a description rather than an interpretation.

Interpretation is what happens when on priviledges the pictures / experience over the code.

Description is 1001010100100101011101010101.

hehe, from what possible point of view is that a description rather than an interpretation.

Because from the point of view of how games are actually structured in terms of code it isn't true. Well ok it's true for a tiny minority of games (Caesar IV comes to mind) but usually it's not.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    god i want to have sex

actual factual honest to god sex with the penis in the vagina

TOO BAD I DON'T GET TO HAVE IT ANY TIME SOON

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    and i have now made a spreadsheet to track my backlog

it is not too terrible!

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote: »
    and i have now made a spreadsheet to track my backlog

it is not too terrible!

don't stop

• Options
    We need to get some hollywood hunks to shave their head for baldness research.

Baldness could be a thing of the past with just a few shiny headed super hunks.

• Options
    Me: "Gotta go, очень приятно."
    Her: "Text me so I know it's you."

I have no idea what just happened. She is mega hot

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote: »

:winky:

You know what's weird, Mim? For some reason, you popped into my head as I was typing this post. I have no idea why. But anyways...

I was controlling the Russian.

• Options
    очень приятно = very nice

according to google translate.

*shrug*

You da man Drez. You --+>da man.

Its locally meaning is "nice to meet you"

• Options
    Yeah he's in this interview style avengers commercials with RDJ. I mostly see them on Adult Swim. It was a mistake.

• Options
    очень приятно = very nice

according to google translate.

*shrug*

You da man Drez. You --+>da man.

This discussion has been closed.