Options

Sean Bean was impaled in the making of this [CHAT]

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    That libertarianism thread...I can't stop reading it. So bad.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    is it possible to take a cold shit?

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    but pony i thought you loved steampunk

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Drink a lot of icees.

A lot.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    you mo'fuckas brought me into this dumbshit conversation by invoking me directly

so now you get to reap the fuckin' whirlwind that is my opinions

the worst part about steampunk isn't that it's a dorky, lame non-genre of uncreative aesthetics haphazardly slapped together

the worst part isn't sticking a bunch of watches on your boot and a gear on your tophat

no

the worst part of steampunk is the people who try to make other things into steampunk

by that i don't mean a guy who redraws Darth Vader as a steampunk automaton

i mean people who insist shows, movies, or books are "steampunk" when they're nothing of the sort

some fuckers keep doing this with legend of korra and i want to take a hot shit in their fucking mouths

Steampunk isn't even a solid genre, though, it's an aesthetic.

Legend of Korra has "steampunk elements", just like how Legend of Korra has "anime elements". Legend of Korra is decisively, however, not steampunk or an anime.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I like my tsaric russian steampunk army:
    khador-colossal-conquest.png

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    is @Donkey Kong around?

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    I used to think steampunk was cool and then I realized that I just would prefer my fantasy stuff has advanced roughly to steam and black powder technology

No silly aesthetics required

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I studied with that girl from my Japanese class again today (she legitimately needs some help with the class these days and I don't mind helping someone out). In class she usually wears pants, long sleeve shirts, jackets, etc. Today to meet up to study with me she wore ridiculously short shorts and a low cut sleeveless top, clearly showered and put on makeup before we met up, etc. Did a lot of stretching while we studied that conveniently arched her back or otherwise showed off her figure... and while we studied she mentioned her boyfriend about once every 10 minutes.

At this point I have no interest in the girl (gonna leave for Japan, no interest in breaking up a relationship and then leaving) but I do find it hilarious just how mixed her signals are.

Bitches always playing with us brah.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Guild Wars 2 has some sweet steampunk brosephs

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular

Needs more bear.

• Options

If your close to dying from hypothermia, perhaps.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Planet Steam is one of the better auction / marketplace manipulation games around and it has a steampunk art style.

Also an extremely over-produced game with really interesting pieces and artwork.

pic388016_md.jpg

so yeah, suck it with your judgeathon pony

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    There is a distinct lack of bear cavalry in Warmachine, I agree.

Probably the biggest fault in the game.

You can get Trolls riding on buffalo though. That's pretty bad ass.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Whoah, what's that? That looks cool.

• Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

If your close to dying from hypothermia, perhaps.
    I figured it was more of an emotional distinction, like if you shit in someone's mouth in a calculated and dispassionate way then that would be a cold shit.

• Options
    Whatever though, she's gonna (or at least she better with how much we practiced) ace her presentation tomorrow in class. Boost dat GPA.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    you mo'fuckas brought me into this dumbshit conversation by invoking me directly

the worst part about steampunk isn't that it's a dorky, lame non-genre of uncreative aesthetics haphazardly slapped together

the worst part isn't sticking a bunch of watches on your boot and a gear on your tophat

no

the worst part of steampunk is the people who try to make other things into steampunk

i mean people who insist shows, movies, or books are "steampunk" when they're nothing of the sort

some fuckers keep doing this with legend of korra and i want to take a hot shit in their fucking mouths

Legend of Korra has "steampunk elements", just like how Legend of Korra has "anime elements". Legend of Korra is decisively, however, not steampunk or an anime.

see you're mostly right saying legend of korra has "steampunk elements" is wrong

none of the things you could call "steampunk elements" are unique or derived from steampunk

none of them

yes, legend of korra has a very 1920's vibe to it (airships, jazz, classy gangsters, etc.), but that's where it's drawing its inspiration from

the 1920's

and a smattering of other shit

none of which is "steampunk", although steampunk also pilfers from the same things

the sex pistols are the quintessential british punk rock band

if you see another british punk rock band nowadays that is pulling the same shenanigans as rotten and vicious

they're inspired by the sex pistols

not the clash

who were also inspired by the sex pistols

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »
    If the anarchism thread ever had rails, then the conversation has most assuredly gone off said rails.

That conversation is just anarchy at this point.

did the wackysauce OP ever keep posting after that first day or so?

hey, speaking of which that pastor (of the "the bible consists on only those elements I like and no more" variety) who made the games-and-theology thread disappeared before he ever replied to your stuff. I would have liked to see what he came up with there.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    If the anarchism thread ever had rails, then the conversation has most assuredly gone off said rails.

• Options
    edited April 2012

It's art from a tabletop miniature wargame called Warmachine (it can also be played against armies from Hordes, which instead of having giant robots have giant monsters). From a gameplay perspective it totally blows the pants off of 40k in my opinion. There's a lot of strategic and tactical depth to be explored, it's a much more combo driven game than 40k. I find it really interesting. I'm contemplating amassing a rather sizeable army of it while I am in Japan. But I'm having lots of fun with my medium sized list in the meantime.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Yesssssssssssssssssss

• Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular

It's art from a tabletop miniature wargame called Warmachine (it can also be played against armies from Hordes, which instead of having giant robots have giant monsters). From a gameplay perspective it totally blows the pants off of 40k in my opinion. There's a lot of strategic and tactical depth to be explored, it's a much more combo driven game than 40k. I find it really interesting. I'm contemplating amassing a rather sizeable army of it while I am in Japan.
    How can an army of minis be "sizeable?"

• Options

It's art from a tabletop miniature wargame called Warmachine (it can also be played against armies from Hordes, which instead of having giant robots have giant monsters). From a gameplay perspective it totally blows the pants off of 40k in my opinion. There's a lot of strategic and tactical depth to be explored, it's a much more combo driven game than 40k. I find it really interesting. I'm contemplating amassing a rather sizeable army of it while I am in Japan. But I'm having lots of fun with my medium sized list in the meantime.

Ah, i see...

i assume it's like most of those kind of games and it needs a significant investment... Meh.

lot fewer minis than 40k. A lot. But like warhammer the investment is in painting time not money. You'll spend 100x as much time painting than playing the game.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Ah, i see...

i assume it's like most of those kind of games and it needs a significant investment... Meh.

• Options
    edited April 2012

no

see you're mostly right saying legend of korra has "steampunk elements" is wrong

none of the things you could call "steampunk elements" are unique or derived from steampunk

none of them

yes, legend of korra has a very 1920's vibe to it (airships, jazz, classy gangsters, etc.), but that's where it's drawing its inspiration from

the 1920's

none of which is "steampunk", although steampunk also pilfers from the same things

if you see another british punk rock band nowadays that is pulling the same shenanigans as rotten and vicious

not the clash

So I guess everything is just imitation of the ancient Greeks when we get right down to it? :P

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    it seems like 'it's stupid looking' is a good enough reason to think steampunk is lame. like, without some sort of reductive exchange about influence... the aesthetic looks dumb.

• Options
    tabletop miniature games can rot in hell

for being so expensive

i otherwise have no problem with them

but warmahordehammer 40clix can fuck off

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »

did the wackysauce OP ever keep posting after that first day or so?

hey, speaking of which that pastor (of the "the bible consists on only those elements I like and no more" variety) who made the games-and-theology thread disappeared before he ever replied to your stuff. I would have liked to see what he came up with there.

Yeah, the guy who made the OP is back. And he's in rare form.

I know, right! I really wanted to know how Free Methodists respond to people out-Christianing them.

• Options
    Actually, pony, on the Nick website, they claim it's Steampunk.
    Nick.com wrote:
    Republic City is everything that Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko fought for when they ended the Hundred Year War. With balance restored to the four nations, benders and non-benders can live together in peace, in this thriving metropolitan area. But even the steampunk paradise of Republic City has its problems, as the next Avatar discovers. When Avatar Korra arrives in Republic City to master her airbending, she comes face to face with criminal bending gangs as well as members of a vocal anti-bending revolution. Before long, Korra's Avatar skills are put to the test when she encounters a group of Chi-blockers led by the charismatic and mysterious Amon, who threatens the city and all the benders in it. Despite the immense danger, Korra vows to fight the growing anti-bending revolution. But will she be able to stop Amon before he rises to power and makes his vision of a bending-free world a reality?

• Options
    edited April 2012

Ah, i see...

Less than 40k, more than a videogame. You can get to a 35 point army (people usually play 35 or 50 pt games) if you are economically focused for sub $150 which is a steal for a tabeltop miniature game. However, you'll want more models of course, for more variety. And then if you want to play in tournaments you usually are required to have two lists (35 or 50) with character restrictions between the list (if there is a named character, like the mercenary Gorman di Wulfe, he can only appear in one of your lists) so you have to get more models, etc.

Tis not cheap, no.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    tabletop miniature games can rot in hell

for being so expensive

i otherwise have no problem with them

but warmahordehammer 40clix can fuck off

Being expensive AND being difficult to carry around.

• Options
    edited April 2012

no

none of them

the 1920's

not the clash

This is assuming a lot, isn't it?

It's like you're certain that the creators of Legend of Korra aren't influenced by steampunk at all?

Anyway, whether the elements were derived from steampunk or not they are steampunk elements insofar as they are elements that are in steampunk.

I could say that the sex pistols has 90s pop punk elements and I wouldn't be wrong; there are elements that are shared between them. This isn't to say that the sex pistols is pop punk, or anachronistically that pop-punk influenced the sex pistols, just that there are elements common between them both.

EDIT:
    Let me concede, though, that I get where you're coming from initially: a lot of people don't understand where these elements originated and misattribute them, and that can be annoying. I'm just being pedantic about the other junk.

Winky on
  • Options

Ah, i see...

Less than 40k, more than a videogame. You can get to a 35 point army (people usually play 35 or 50 pt games) if you are economically focused for sub $150 which is a steal for a tabeltop miniature game. However, you'll want more models of course, for more variety. And then if you want to play in tournaments you usually are required to have two lists (35 or 50) with character restrictions between the list (if there is a named character, like the mercenary Gorman di Wulfe, he can only appear in one of your lists) so you have to get more models, etc.

Tis not cheap, no.

i'm a cheap bastard. Why else do you think i'm making my own TCG?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Nick.com wrote:
    Republic City is everything that Avatar Aang and Fire Lord Zuko fought for when they ended the Hundred Year War. With balance restored to the four nations, benders and non-benders can live together in peace, in this thriving metropolitan area. But even the steampunk paradise of Republic City has its problems, as the next Avatar discovers. When Avatar Korra arrives in Republic City to master her airbending, she comes face to face with criminal bending gangs as well as members of a vocal anti-bending revolution. Before long, Korra's Avatar skills are put to the test when she encounters a group of Chi-blockers led by the charismatic and mysterious Amon, who threatens the city and all the benders in it. Despite the immense danger, Korra vows to fight the growing anti-bending revolution. But will she be able to stop Amon before he rises to power and makes his vision of a bending-free world a reality?

That doesn't mean whoever wrote that really knows what steampunk means.

• Options
    Nick.com wrote:

yes, i'm sure some guy whose job it is to write those summaries thinks that, sure

i could give a fuck less

that's like the guy who wrote the review of the show for Variety calling it steampunk

does not make it so, duder

this is intellectual laziness

you have a fantasy show that isn't caught in the retarded stasis field of pre-industrial technology that burdens fantasy and makes it a near dead genre

so people go "herple derp, it has technology but it's fantasy! it must be steampunk!"

go back to community college

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Nick.com wrote:

Eh, good point.

but there's steam, there's a defiant attitude somewhere, steampunk, yeah? :P

21stCentury on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Nick.com wrote:

It's not that complicated, and if a label fits I don't think it matters if the person using it knows they are using it right.

• Options
    When I went to the Ren Faire it was the "official steampunk" weekend of the Faire.

Which means, while some people had like, actual steampunk costumes, a lot of people did the token effort of just like, throwing a gear on their existing outfit.

I would have loved to have Pony with me that day.

This discussion has been closed.