As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    i don't think i'm into superman, batman or spiderman

Read All-Star Superman. Just shut up and read it, we both know I'm right.

oh no

"we both know i'm right"

"of course i'm right, i'm talking"

i'm not tolerating this

putting my foot down

no superman

no superman ever
    good move

superman has bullshit powers

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod

oh no

"we both know i'm right"

i'm not tolerating this

putting my foot down

no superman

no superman ever

/cuts off nose

HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT, FACE

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    guys you should sign this petition to make felicia day go on a date with me

I like the signature "Winky is dumb" Comment: You're dumb.

I wonder what sort of whimsical fellow did that!

:bz

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Jae Lee is civilization

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    THIS IS MY FINAL STAND

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

oh no

"we both know i'm right"

i'm not tolerating this

putting my foot down

no superman

no superman ever

I like this about you. :)

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    And Cass, if you can get your hands on it, Marvels gives a nice brief introduction to the MU.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »

Yep. Also, DON'T read All-Star Batman and Robin.

That's the one where Batman yells at someone that he's the Goddamn Batman, yeah?

GoddamnBatman.jpg

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    But seriously if you ain't reading comics just

It's cool but don't get all up in arms for 20 seconds about shit you will never ever touch. Like "Death of XYZ" always gets some press or reaction and it's like well you assholes are never, ever checking on this again are you?

I'm hoping eventually people will say Dick Grayson IS Batman, because that was a fun run.

Also, the only certain thing about being 22 is that you made the wrong choice and every person you know would totally have made a better one you goddamn idiot. It would be awesome if college didn't bankrupt families though, super awesome.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    help me superman

i can't open this can

have no fear

my hands are also can openers

• Options
    I just read a really detailed article about the effects a professional football career has on the typical player's body and brain specifically, and now it's getting awfully hard to justify watching that sport in particular.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    I don't read many comics. Watchmen, Sandman, and parts of Transmetropolitan are my only major forays. That said, I recall liking both the Marvel Noir and Marvel 1602. No clue how they were perceived of by the community.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Jesus, I hate these college cost projections.

4 year costs, graduation in 2020:
    Public $93k
    Private $187k

2025:
    $113k
    $211k

2030:
    $136k
    $237k

*shudder*

It's a bubble, and it's unsustainable. I'm hoping the whole facade will crumble in the next two years - let the bloodletting commence before I have to start paying for it!

Spool, I love you, but you need to start thinking about how the things you say sound to people.

aaahahahaha I know, that sounded super heartless didn't it? But bubbles do need to burst and if there's one sector of the economy that needs to purge the cruft and get back to its core mission, it's college education. Our system produces so much waste and meaningless credentialing alongside the actual education, and something has to give.

Bubbles need to burst sooner rather than later.

I agree, but damn dude. Daaaaaaaamn.

Preferably I'd like to structure it so that the bursting bubble won't fuck over an entire generation of kids, but the how to on that is where it gets complicated.

Stop public funding for colleges that increase tuition above the rate of inflation?

Take what you have to admit is a bold move and demand, like Perry, that the state system offer a 4-year degree for a total of $10k?

There are ways to let the air out of this bubble and it needs to happen sooner rather than later. I'm not really sure collapsing a system that saddles kids with decades of crushing debt to teach skills they won't be able to use while discharging the debt is fucking over a generation of kids. I kinda think that's what we're doing right now.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    help me superman

i can't open this can

have no fear

my hands are also can openers

Are you kidding me? He would eye-laser them open AND cook them at the same time.

What do you think he is, a savage?

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

oh no

"we both know i'm right"

i'm not tolerating this

putting my foot down

no superman

no superman ever

i am tenacious

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    Maybe there's a good run of Batman

But I already tried reading that shit and it made me miserable

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I just read a really detailed article about the effects a professional football career has on the typical player's body and brain specifically, and now it's getting awfully hard to justify watching that sport in particular.

Indeed. It's also much more static (and thus limited in kinetic creativity) than non-segmented sports (kind of by definition...) and that places it below such gems of humanity as hockey, basketball, etc.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    This is where I tell everyone again that the rebooted Aquaman is excellent and anyone who disagrees is a terrible person.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

oh no

"we both know i'm right"

i'm not tolerating this

putting my foot down

no superman

no superman ever

i am tenacious

No, not really.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »

Indeed. It's also much more static (and thus limited in kinetic creativity) than non-segmented sports (kind of by definition...) and that places it below such gems of humanity as hockey, basketball, etc.

Hockey also has a lot of sub-concussion troubles. Basically any impact on the brain in repetition is very... very... very bad.

Football kills. The average career of an NFL running back is either at 2 years or slightly below. Someone should look.

• Options

oh no

"we both know i'm right"

i'm not tolerating this

putting my foot down

no superman

no superman ever

i am tenacious

No, not really.

i will fight you

• Options
    This is where I tell everyone again that the rebooted Aquaman is excellent and anyone who disagrees is a terrible person.

I own it but have not read it.

I am currently reading The Walking Dead and the Creepy Archives.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Fucking Mint does not calculate my retirement gains right. It says I've lost a shit ton of money but noooooope. It is not possible for me to have bought in for as much as they say I have since it's an extra 10% of my salary and I know how long I've been here.

(this has made me so annoyed over the months that I barely use Mint anymore)

OnTheLastCastle on
  • Options

I'm certainly not settled on either side of the discussion, but I have a lot to think about.

There are sports to enjoy where I don't encourage giant men to run into each other as hard as they can.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    What is this about Texas and Google?

i should not be asking questions on the forum

just google-ing

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Pony wrote: »
    the world of Marvel 2099 was a neat one

it was this weird cyberpunk future where the influence of decades of super-heroes existing has had a dramatic effect on culture and shit

for example, in 2099, Norse religion is a pretty big major world religion, eclipsing Christianity

due to the fact that the Norse gods are real and Thor is a real guy who runs around doing real things

it's very easy for a religion to sell that!

and it came up in some subtle ways, for example Punisher 2099's family was subject to a viking funeral and Punisher was all bitter and cynical about Norse religion, shrugging his shoulders at it

it was little details like that

the 2099 books were actually my first exposure to cyberpunk. I was in seventh grade or whatever and had been reading, like Isaac Asimov books and Star Trek novels for a few years and then I open these comics and it's all giant evil corporations and cyberspace and shit and it was like one of those drawings in the public library where a little black and white kid opens a book and a fuckin' rainbow shoots out.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Comics to read for everybody a short essay by Durandal:

- The Sixth Gun
    - King City
    - Orc Stain
    - Chew
    - Prophet

These are all pretty fun, especially the Sixth Gun man do I love that book.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular

I liked issue 1.

Gonna go ahead and buy the rest of it.

yGxvf.png
  • Options

oh no

"we both know i'm right"

i'm not tolerating this

putting my foot down

no superman

no superman ever

i am tenacious

No, not really.

i will fight you

Cass, if you were here right now I'd pat you on the head.

• Options
    Well the running back shelf life is also because of the abundance of comparable substitutions available.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

I own it but have not read it.

I am currently reading The Walking Dead and the Creepy Archives.

Everyone mocks him in the first issue, and his expression is priceless.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Read Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye and Locke&Key

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Oh yeah Orc Stain, that's on my iPad. I also have the first volume of Chew to chew on.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    superman is like ultragay

• Options
    Well the running back shelf life is also because of the abundance of comparable substitutions available.

The injuries in that position are astronomical, but yes, having comparable replacements is why they're so expendable.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    i agree with dynagrip

spiderman 2099 was good

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    guys should i spend $80 on a razer mouse for moba ownage

this seems like a sound decision

• Options
    Comics to read for everybody a short essay by Durandal:

- The Sixth Gun
    - King City
    - Orc Stain
    - Chew
    - Prophet

These are all pretty fun, especially the Sixth Gun man do I love that book.

I have never heard of any of these books. I mean, I know you're a real person, but this is suspicious!

• Options
    guys should i spend $80 on a razer mouse for moba ownage

this seems like a sound decision

your mouse is what's holding you back....?

I need to turn on smart cast. I shall do that tonight.

• Options
    superman is like ultragay

oh how the tables have turned, terrorist

This discussion has been closed.