As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 is COMPLETELY SOLD OUT!

• BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Djiem wrote: »
    Buraisu wrote: »
    Buying a ticket for your friend is nothing like cutting in line. Do you also complain when people buy more than one ticket at the movies on premiere night?
    Yes.

Then the problem is you, not the rest of the world.
    On the contrary, people are selfish and only care about their own self interests.

Buraisu on
    47uk6agplx83.png
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    Buying a ticket for your friend is nothing like cutting in line. Do you also complain when people buy more than one ticket at the movies on premiere night?
    Yes.

On the contrary, people are selfish and only care about their own self interests.

You're complaining about the current system because you're selfish and care only about your own interests.

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    Yes.

You're being selfish by demanding that tickets be limited.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Yes.

Your posts are a perfect example of selfish interests. You want the system changed so you can go and others miss out.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    Yes.

ooo..pot/kettle moment there... Buraisu, what you want is incredibly selfish of you. you want everyone else to suffer just so you think you can have a better chance of getting a pass. Honestly, your attitude is completely counter to that of the greater PAX community and what it represents.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Liger wrote: »
    Buraisu, have you ever bought tickets to a concert? Or tickets to a movie? This is the exact same thing. People buy multiples so they can go with their friends. It's not cutting in line, it's good planning.

Selfish planning to benefit a small group over the majority.

The majority as a whole benefits when people get to go together with groups, friends, family as they choose.

Even if individuals and individual groups, friends, or family lose out.

Like, a concert full of individual attendees who all won by lottery and none of whom know each other is not preferable to a concert filled with old friends, dates, families, etc.

• ArklierArklier Registered User regular
    I've been to every PAX except the first year (didn't know about it until it was too late to get time off) and 2010 (extreme financial difficulty.) My parents live in the area, so I always stay with them and visit. Got a 3 day pass last year about two weeks after registration opened. Checked three or four days ago to find registration had been open and then closed. I've been checking every day since then, but it seems my timing was bad. Saw the total sellout notice on the front page and my first thought was "You've gotta be ****ing me. This is a late April Fool's joke, right?" Since I ain't paying scalper's prices, I guess I won't be going this year and I won't be seeing my parents until Christmas.

Maybe it's time for different levels of access? I couldn't care less about what's in the Expo hall. I think I spent maybe an hour in there last year, save for the two hours I waited to play Skyrim. I just want to see the panels. Most of the panels I attended last year were over half empty.

Yes.
    Buraisu, have you ever bought tickets to a concert? Or tickets to a movie? This is the exact same thing. People buy multiples so they can go with their friends. It's not cutting in line, it's good planning.
    Selfish planning to benefit a small group over the majority.

You buying a ticket for yourself is SELFISH. When you buy a ticket for ANY REASON AT ALL, someone else loses out.
    I agree with your logic, there should be no tickets. We should just show up and enter the world of PAX freely and without restraint.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • ShocknaShockna Registered User regular
    Yes.

What, exactly, is the problem with helping friends? This view seems to espouse the idea that we shouldn't help those close to us in situations like this; IIRC you're one of the people complaining that those without 24/7 internet, with day jobs or other obligations preventing them from getting a pass are being shafted (True to an extent). And yet you're also condemning one of the best ways to mitigate that problem.

Short of banning people from attending both (Which is what the proposal was; calling it a "limit" is a semantic game) or posting the sale day, making the quick sellout and scalping problems way worse, I don't see any system fairer from the current one. And this is coming from someone who would have been screwed if he didn't have Wednesdays off work.

• TukimoshiTukimoshi Registered User regular
    I think tickets could of been better handled, for example, selling tickets in bundles. Like, let's say there are 80k tickets.

You could sell 20k on Monday, 20k on Wednesday, 20k on Friday, and 20k on Saturday.

This would ease the stress on registration, ease the stress of missing work/school/etc to get a ticket (Can't find time monday? Buy tickets wednesday! or saturday!)

This would also allow people that work to have a fair chance at getting tickets, and same with people who live in alternate time zones. The first come first serve method would be great, except in this case,
    the tickets can sell out before some people even get off work, school, etc.

As someone who went to PAX 2010, I have been feverently waiting for tickets to go on sale, and I'm severely disappointed I missed out. I had 8 other friends that wanted to go to, and we're all disappointed
    that tickets sold out so quickly. I've checked PAX Site twice a week for over six months, and I've had the weekend booked off for over a month now.

I would like to see registration improved next year, and perhaps a system for selling unused tickets. The lack of a 'Sell at Face Value' thread is kinda disappointing, although I understand the reasoning.

Yes.

You're complaining about the current system because you're selfish and care only about your own interests.
    That's illogical and improvable, I am selfless and bias.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • Steel FireSteel Fire Gunboat Diplomat PAI MarketingRegistered User regular
    Yes.

Lovely grammar... Anyway, you're just being confrontational and a silly goose now.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    This is how I feel about most of this thread..

But to everyone else adding anecdotes and plausible suggestions I applaud.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    To reiterate my idea: What about just releasing the tickets in batches throughout the week? Seems like a pretty simple solution to me.

wWuzwvJ.png
    To reiterate my idea: What about just releasing the tickets in batches throughout the week? Seems like a pretty simple solution to me.

wWuzwvJ.png
    Absent other reforms, it has the same problem of a single announced date; the first batch just serves to let all the scalpers know that it's feedin' time.

Also, each batch will sell out successively faster, because I think people grossly underestimate the excess demand. This just means four days of heartbreak instead of one.

Steel Fire wrote: »
    Yes.

Lovely grammar... Anyway, you're just being confrontational and a silly goose now.
    Jokes through honesty. I do agree, I am in the state of being confronted. So I will go do something else.

47uk6agplx83.png
  • LaVitaENomLaVitaENom Registered User new member
    Let me first say that I love PAX. This will be my 4th year in a row and it's something I look forward to all year long.

That said, I'm pretty frustrated with the way things went down this year. I checked the site nearly every day and I apparently got to the registration RIGHT after it crashed the first time. I managed to get single-day passes for Friday and Saturday when they came back up (I was about an hour, maybe 2, late for the 3-days) but I was really sad and disappointed that the 3-days sold out so quickly. And then even more frustrated to find that there would be no face value forum this year, something that has served me well in the past when friends needed passes.

Not that I don't think PAX is an amazing event, and I'm very happy for PA and everyone involved that it has grown so much and become so popular, but I have to wonder what happened this year. Last year, I think it took 3 weeks or so to sell out of 3-day passes and single days were being sold for quite a while after that. What changed? To go from 3 weeks to less than 24 hours is a HUGE jump! There has to be something completely different about this year. Will it continue to get worse? Next year will you have to be sitting at your computer the very minute the passes go on sale because they'll be sold out in 15 minutes? I've seen it happen with other events...

As someone else said, I'm sure they'll be looking at everything this year, trying to figure out the best way to proceed and I really, truly hope they come up with something. I don't pretend to know the answer (Dammit, Jim, I'm a pastry chef, not a Convention Coordinator), but the thought of not getting to go to PAX in upcoming years because it continually gets harder to get tickets makes me unbelievably sad.

tl;dr I guess I'm just curious if anyone on the inside has any insight as to what is different this year and whether or not it's going to be impossible to ever get tickets again.

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I dont see batches of passes being any more effective. Problem is, Lots of people, Not enough passes. they either need to make the WSCC bigger somehow or make a 3rd pax to make some of the people go to that instead.

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I'd like to add to the voices expressing disappointment. While I understand me going means someone else wouldn't be able to go, I feel really crummy about the fact that tickets went on sale while I was at work and were sold out by the time I got home. Would like to see a system that takes people like me into account.

liEt3nH.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    LaVitaENom wrote: »

tl;dr I guess I'm just curious if anyone on the inside has any insight as to what is different this year and whether or not it's going to be impossible to ever get tickets again.

Looking through the records, in 2009 3-days sold out in 6 months, 2010 3-days sold out in 3 months, 2011 3-days sold out in 22 days.

Pax has simply gotten more popular each year. It was only a matter of time before a 1 day sell out and if someone graphed this information it would have been easy to see 3-days were going to go VERY quickly this year.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's a sad time for those without badges every year when the notice goes out that PAX is sold out. Every year people flood the forums about why the current system is unfair. It's unfortunate that there is a limit to the number of attendees that can go but that will not change. If PAX were moved to another larger venue, then people would still complain when it would inevitably would sell out.

If they moved PAX away from Seattle, to a larger venue, people would complain that it moved from Seattle.

NEWS FLASH: Penny Arcade did not screw anyone.

I'm sorry that there were 65,000+ people that made getting tickets their top priority and you missed out this year. It's a fantastic show and it's getting harder to get tickets every year.

Vent, cry, scream, table flip if you must but know that while PAX is amazing, it is still just one PAX, there will be more. Maybe you'll have better luck next year.

• Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular

There are several theories as to why this year was so crazy:

1. no Blizzcon this year. That means a lot of nerds who would normally have to pick one or the other don't have to pick,

2. SDCC Sold out faster than ever before, while implementing a new registration system intended to prevent scalping that is regarded by many people as a complete and total disaster. This leaves another chunk of sad, vacationless nerds.

3. General increased demand

There will probably be a Blizzcon again someday, so that pressure may well be removed. SDCC is probably going to keep being an insane reg nightmare, so PAX may continue to have to pick up the West-coast-nerd-con slack. And demand is going to keep increasing.

So the future is pretty foggy. Still, these are the factors most people think may have had an effect.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
    Not that I don't think PAX is an amazing event, and I'm very happy for PA and everyone involved that it has grown so much and become so popular, but I have to wonder what happened this year. Last year, I think it took 3 weeks or so to sell out of 3-day passes and single days were being sold for quite a while after that. What changed? To go from 3 weeks to less than 24 hours is a HUGE jump! There has to be something completely different about this year. Will it continue to get worse? Next year will you have to be sitting at your computer the very minute the passes go on sale because they'll be sold out in 15 minutes? I've seen it happen with other events...

Some may claim scalpers. But an anecdote (as I shared earlier):

In '09 I bought my passes in July because I heard some friends were going.

In '10 I bought them in June, when I heard they were running low, and wound up having to buy 3 1-Day badges (missed the 3-Day)

In '11, I bought after maybe a week, because I was determined to get me a 3-day badge, and hey it sold out on me last year. And I heard how fast it sold out afterward.

In '12, knowing how fast it sold out in '11, I was determined to buy on day one. I watched the twitter pretty regularly. I saw that day one actually melted down whatever registration company they went with, so I signed up for SMS alerts and made arrangements so that I'd be able to buy (or have somebody buy) my badge at a moment's notice. So on day one, part two, I bought my badge within...maybe 20 minutes?

Notice how every year it sells out, and every year it sells out a little earlier, so every year I alter my own routine to ensure I get my badge before it sells out? Now multiply by (checks Official_PAX twitter) potentially tens of thousands of people.

Then, when the limited stock of 3-Day badges sells out within a day, that signals DEFCON 1, and people like me text everybody they know to make sure they realize what's what. Mad rush begins, and within another 24 hours or so it's over.

Even without increasing demand, an excess demand can lead to tightening sellout windows, because every year when the music stops and people are left without chairs those people will try to sit down faster next time. Which is to say nothing has to change for this to happen.

Now add increasing demand (I've introduced several friends to PAX).

• UNHMANUNHMAN [E] Registered User regular
    I just think they should have put the same feature that they have on the East page. It's nice to see it shown how many there are left(well by Green,Yellow and Red colors) instead of just us guessing and hoping we get want we wish to.

SkeleVader wrote: »

Looking through the records, in 2009 3-days sold out in 6 months, 2010 3-days sold out in 3 months, 2011 3-days sold out in 22 days.

Pax has simply gotten more popular each year. It was only a matter of time before a 1 day sell out and if someone graphed this information it would have been easy to see 3-days were going to go VERY quickly this year.

Yup, just graphed that out. Assuming 180 days and 90 days for the 6/3 months, that trends to a zero-day sellout this year. Way less, actually. I said that pages ago, but yeah this should be no surprise at all to anybody who has watched the sellout window shrink yearly.

And I hate to say it, but looking over the graph...by my calculations.......PAX 2013 is already sold out! ;)

UNHMAN wrote: »
    I just think they should have put the same feature that they have on the East page. It's nice to see it shown how many there are left(well by Green,Yellow and Red colors) instead of just us guessing and hoping we get want we wish to.

The answer to this, as with any event that has limited capacity (concert, con, sporting event, new release at the theater, anything) is to always assume it's "red," and buy now. Right now. If you're waiting, you're doing it wrong.

• anabbeynormalityanabbeynormality Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    If you *just* follow @Official_PAX then you will only see what they post, not replies to other people.

Well now I know, but that still means I would be signing up for a completely unrelated service for the sole purpose of being notified of ticket sales.

What about an email list, like how 99.9% of organizations notify the public?

• mattrock1988mattrock1988 Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    Hello:

The fact that PAX Prime sold out so fast is actually excellent news. I'd say this is a new record for the con. With that being said, I have some suggestions that might be useful for future PAX registrations.

For one, badges should have the name of the buyer printed on them and the badge-holder should have valid state-issued ID present in order to be accepted in. This would be a great way to bring down the problem of scalpers buying up passes, hawking them on the net, and having folks risk possibly buying an illegitimate pass for the event. If someone decides to not go for instance, they can just contact the PAX registration administrator to pull them off the list, thus freeing up the queue for any stragglers who haven't bought tickets. It also keeps the number of pass purchases to a sane level. Apple's ever popular WWDC conference adopted this name-on-a-ticket system to keep the abuse down this year, and it was probably one of the better ways to prevent scalper onslaughts. It keeps everything fair for everyone.

Also, the switch to another registration system in the midst of the PAX pass selling was not a great idea. The old system worked just fine in years past and switching to another, unproven system only caused headaches for those who didn't manage to snag their pass in time. As the old adage goes, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

That's all I really have to say about that. Personally, I have submitted a panel to PAX and, should my topic be accepted, I will get a complementary pass, so hopefully karma is on my side. :)

Peace bros,

Matt

mattrock1988 on
  • HagiaHagia Registered User new member
    So... considering what is happening here. What would be so bad about trying for a bigger venue? Personally, I think it would be a good thing for PAX to do, like moving up in the world. There are plenty of fair grounds and covered sports stadiums in the area. Hell Safeco field or something, see if you can rent it, or... something else? Considering the popularity of the expo It might be worth it. I know it is too late for this year, but... something to think about in the future maybe.

• JinxterJinxter Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I have a rant in regards to how the passes were sold this year...
    1. Whose idea was it to sell passes without any forewarning as to day/time?
    - I missed the first day of sale, however, when I looked at the forums those passes started their sale when I was at work, and broke before I got home that day. So, I checked everyday, because I have gone to this show every year since '08 and LOVE this event. However, once again, when the sale happened it was at a time when I was at work. ~1400 and sold out before I could even get home. I see that NO forethought was given to us working stiffs that work normal dayshift hours. I happen to work at a Govt installation where I cannot carry my smartphone nor do I have access to gaming based websites. (Paxsite is blocked...). SO, even though I checked everyday, hoping against hope that there would be a forewarning, the tickets sale for 3day passes started and ended before I even got home from work. I feel I shouldn't even have to point this out...WHY did this sale start at ~1400? WHO does this benefit? Out of work people, students, kids, and people on the East Coast. Most other working stiffs who may have wanted to go, were still at work... This show is the amongst the largest shows in the NW area...bring a LOT of business to Seattle and the Puget Sound, yet the ticket sales don't even give the residents of this area a fair shot at the the tickets. The start time of 1400 WAS MORONIC. For a show held in the NW, why couldn't it wait until 1800? Allowing those of us that work a fair shot at buying the tickets as well...or is that TOO DAMN much to ask?

2. Whose 'brilliant' idea was it to sell the exact same number of passes to a show that has doubled it's attendance every year it has been held? Just based on the numbers, and the history of the show, this idea was brain-numbingly stupid. What ever happened to talks to move this show to a much LARGER venue? 3day passes sold out in hours...not days, HOURS! Granted that is amazing, a clear testament to how popular this event is, but, was foreseeable by anyone with a bit of brain power between their ears. Unfortunately, the organizers of this year's event, fell somewhat short of smart.

3. Why do the Penny Arcade bosses allow for scalping tickets to occur on ebay? There are ways to limit ticket scalping, no passes in the mail, all passes have to be picked up at a willcall window with proof of purchase, ID, and the credit card that was used for purchase. Don't have these? No Pass for you... I got it, those in charge just don't care about fans being fleeced.

How can this process be improved? Hmmmmmmmmm...
    1. The show is being held in the NW...sell the tickets with a start time that benefits the people of the NW the most. We are the ones most likely to want to attend, we should have an even shot at buying said passes.
    2. Move to a larger venue. You have LONG outgrown the Seattle location. Time to go to a place that supports your yearly growth rate.
    3. Tell your fans a FIRM start date/time as to when the passes will be sold, this will build a NEED to buy them...granted that is already there, but it will raise it to fever pitch.
    4. Rent more servers to handle the load of the sales. You WILL be slammed, and not being able to sell due to a crush of traffic is just piss-poor planning.
    5. STOP allowing ebay sellers to scalp and fleece your fans. Require positive ID, credit card used to purchase to pick up passes at a willcall window. This will limit the ebay and other scalpers from profiting from YOUR fans.

Hopefully your organizers will learn from this fiasco, and do better next year. Otherwise, you WILL lose fans...

Jinxter on
    BigRed wrote: »
    If you *just* follow @Official_PAX then you will only see what they post, not replies to other people.

Well now I know, but that still means I would be signing up for a completely unrelated service for the sole purpose of being notified of ticket sales.

What about an email list, like how 99.9% of organizations notify the public?

Arguably, it's a rather related service.

Email's an option, but then you're managing your own service rather than letting Twitter do the work for you. And like 99% of PAX attendees can receive a text message if they cared enough. Then you've also got to deal with setting up all the subscribe/unsubscribe crap for users (again, rather than letting them handle their own Twitter account), etc.

Shit, using a free Google Voice SMS number, you can even get the Tweet forwarded simultaneously to your phone (via text) AND your email. You can be penetrated by multiple notifications simultaneously, at any time. Hot.

And then this informational gangbang can be initiated easily via twitter, from the john if they feel like it.

Also, arguably, for a majority of the population an SMS message is either faster/easier or at worst the same as an email. Like, unless you work at a location where you cannot have your phone on you (and I do!) but you do have a computer with your own email account (again, me), an SMS message is a better notification. Even before I had a smartphone, I'd get a text even at the bar on a Friday night, or while taking a crap at the doctor's office.

Maybe there's an argument that they should have some sort of internal method through an email list as well. But, like, when you've got a third-party outlet that is ridiculously better at notifying your customers, it's tough for me to fault them for not bothering. And they've got a big ol' "Follow Official_PAX" button right there on the main PAX page.

• TukimoshiTukimoshi Registered User regular
    pax%20tickets.jpg

I can't say I didn't see this coming, but I would've enjoyed alternate methods like multi-day distribution, that way I atleast knew the tickets had gone on sale, and when I could purchase mine.
    I would of been less dissappointed if I had known the tickets were on sale and missed my chance, but it's super disappointing to get home and see that tickets had gone on sale and sold out all in the time of a single work
    shift (6 hours)

Jinxter wrote: »
    How can this process be improved? Hmmmmmmmmm...
    1. The show is being held in the NW...sell the tickets with a start time that benefits the people of the NW the most. We are the ones most likely to want to attend, we should have an even shot at buying said passes.

Huh...a majority of my friends that are coming are coming from other time zones. And 1800 in Seattle is 2100 in Florida, when working stiffs are getting ready for bed. I'll also point out that I have a friend who was in the same boat as you. How did he solve this problem? He called me.

2. Move to a larger venue. You have LONG outgrown the Seattle location. Time to go to a place that supports your yearly growth rate.

Well this means moving out of the NW...so that solves our previous problem, eh?

3. Tell your fans a FIRM start date/time as to when the passes will be sold, this will build a NEED to buy them...granted that is already there, but it will raise it to fever pitch.

So double the clusterfuck, cool.

4. Rent more servers to handle the load of the sales. You WILL be slammed, and not being able to sell due to a crush of traffic is just piss-poor planning.

Yeah, the first run was pretty bad, and didn't help matters yesterday. But even if the servers hadn't gone down, we were probably looking at a 1 or 2 day sellout. Followed by a horde of people saying "I had no idea I had to buy them that quickly...." Can't win.

5. STOP allowing ebay sellers to scalp and fleece your fans. Require positive ID, credit card used to purchase to pick up passes at a willcall window. This will limit the ebay and other scalpers from profiting from YOUR fans.

Whereas requiring my friend (on the secure government installation) to show the credit card used for purchase (mine), you may well wind up screwing him over. Anything you do to benefit one class will hurt another, and not just scalpers. By the way, does anybody have any numbers on what percentage of PAX badges are scalped (which is to say sold on CL/Ebay for face value or more) anyway?

Hopefully your organizers will learn from this fiasco, and do better next year. Otherwise, you WILL lose fans...

Maybe, but they'll still fill the con center. They can't make everybody happy. Can't do it. Move it out of Seattle, hold a lottery, non-transferable passes, anything they do loses fans. All you want is to make sure you're one of the people with a chair when the music stops, that's all.

• DannicusDannicus [E] Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Straight up, the way to stop scalpers from selling passes at ridiculous prices is to stop buying them at ridiculous prices.....take a moment and let that sink in.

Scalpers charge prices they know they can get. People are desperate to go to PAX. People pay way more than face value for hard to get tickets.

So it's simple, if you can get every person everywhere to stop buying pax badges for over face value, then scalpers have no business.

Problem Solved! DANCE PARTY!!!!!!

• bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Can PRIME rent a whole city? I'm pretty sure the Seattle City Council is for sale. Then there wouldn't be any fire code/crowd size issues. Just hook a 360/PS3/Wii to every TV/Monitor/projector int he downtown area and it'd be fun.

• ShadeShade Registered User regular
    Tukimoshi wrote: »
    You could sell 20k on Monday, 20k on Wednesday, 20k on Friday, and 20k on Saturday.

This would ease the stress on registration, ease the stress of missing work/school/etc to get a ticket (Can't find time monday? Buy tickets wednesday! or saturday!)

This would also allow people that work to have a fair chance at getting tickets, and same with people who live in alternate time zones. The first come first serve method would be great, except in this case,

• MAGZineMAGZine Registered User new member
    Shade wrote: »
    Tukimoshi wrote: »

I disagree. I would think this is a bad idea. I think that the double-launch was one of the reasons that 3-days sold so quickly. You're only going to amplify the rush for tickets by limiting supply. Putting names on badges and enforcing ticket pickup with ID ONLY would be the best way to control scalping, and hopefully control ticket sales from scalpers.

• JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

There are several theories as to why this year was so crazy:

1. no Blizzcon this year. That means a lot of nerds who would normally have to pick one or the other don't have to pick,

2. SDCC Sold out faster than ever before, while implementing a new registration system intended to prevent scalping that is regarded by many people as a complete and total disaster. This leaves another chunk of sad, vacationless nerds.

3. General increased demand

There will probably be a Blizzcon again someday, so that pressure may well be removed. SDCC is probably going to keep being an insane reg nightmare, so PAX may continue to have to pick up the West-coast-nerd-con slack. And demand is going to keep increasing.

So the future is pretty foggy. Still, these are the factors most people think may have had an effect.

Also, the League Of Legends Regional Championship being held at Prime was announced on the same day as registration re-opening. That might have spurred some more people on to get tickets ASAP.

JamieOD on
    Oh goody. Moba tourneys.

It might be worth watching though just to see the inevitable rage and massive salt production.

wWuzwvJ.png
This discussion has been closed.