The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Fitness Group [Meet up on Sunday at 1]

2456712

Posts

  • AtronachAtronach Registered User regular
    Hello everyone! ^^
    My roommate and I have been doing Insanity (week one done!) and I've been biking to and from work (3 miles each way).
    I'm new to the forums so I pretty much just wanted to say hi and introduce myself to all you cool people :D

    PAX 2013 Cosplay:
    Skyrim - Flame Atronach & Female Daedric
    Mass Effect 3 - Jack
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    Joined the group! I also sometimes talk about fitness on Twitter, and I use the hashtag #Fit4PAX.

    Is anyone else doing Couch to 5k? Today will be Week 4 Day 3 for me.

    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • tea_birdtea_bird Registered User regular
    Just joined the group! I'm sincerely hoping to receive the kick in the butt I need to work out.

    Twitter: @tea_bird
  • vgcvgc Registered User regular
    tea_bird wrote: »
    Just joined the group! I'm sincerely hoping to receive the kick in the butt I need to work out.

    I'll be happy to be the boot!

  • tea_birdtea_bird Registered User regular
    vgc wrote: »
    tea_bird wrote: »
    Just joined the group! I'm sincerely hoping to receive the kick in the butt I need to work out.

    I'll be happy to be the boot!
    Good! I need someone like you.

    Twitter: @tea_bird
  • AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular
  • ALKADERALKADER Registered User regular
    Alika wrote: »

    Looks awesome!I am doing the Tough Mudder event taking place in Seattle at the end of September,anyone else down?

    http://toughmudder.com/

  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    ALKADER wrote: »
    Alika wrote: »

    Looks awesome!I am doing the Tough Mudder event taking place in Seattle at the end of September,anyone else down?

    http://toughmudder.com/

    I know one of my old clients is doing it, and I'm teaming up with one of my current clients for it. I'm unsure how I want to train for it though, as it's VERY close to a bodybuilding competition we are preparing for... And you need a lot of energy for stuff like this

    <@heels>; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels>; oh god, what am i doing
  • millislimmillislim Registered User
    anyone else starting from square one? I want to get into SOME shape by pax but I don't know where to start...if there's someone else like that in this group want to be exercise buddies?

    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    millislim wrote: »
    anyone else starting from square one? I want to get into SOME shape by pax but I don't know where to start...if there's someone else like that in this group want to be exercise buddies?

    I am kind of in your boat? I've been working out since August but I've still got a long way to go. I started out the wrong way and slowly moved into a much better routine.

    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • millislimmillislim Registered User
    millislim wrote: »
    anyone else starting from square one? I want to get into SOME shape by pax but I don't know where to start...if there's someone else like that in this group want to be exercise buddies?

    I am kind of in your boat? I've been working out since August but I've still got a long way to go. I started out the wrong way and slowly moved into a much better routine.

    So what are you doing? It sounds like you may have figured out a method to the madness

    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    millislim wrote: »
    millislim wrote: »
    anyone else starting from square one? I want to get into SOME shape by pax but I don't know where to start...if there's someone else like that in this group want to be exercise buddies?

    I am kind of in your boat? I've been working out since August but I've still got a long way to go. I started out the wrong way and slowly moved into a much better routine.

    So what are you doing? It sounds like you may have figured out a method to the madness
    Easiest way to start is to join a class. At my gym they offer a bunch of classes but they're just not for me so I started taking a judo class.

    When I began I thought I'd lose weight if I just ate less and did hours of cardio (looking at you elliptical), but now I eat like 6 -small- meals a day and only do 40 minutes of cardio a day. Make sure you do some weight lifting, I know a lot of girls are afraid to weight lift (or maybe it's just in my city) because they're worried they'll get 'jacked'. It won't really happen unless you devote a lot of your life to it, and it's important to remember that lifting continues to burn fat even after you're done.

    OR ask Ravenger to make up a plan for you if he's still willing to.

    PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • millislimmillislim Registered User
    I'm not worried about lifting weights...I know it won't get me all buff...
    How much have you lost so far doing your current routine?

    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    My current routine I've only been on for about a week, I have lost around 10 pounds of water weight. Over all I have lost 80 pounds and 10 inches on my waist.

    www.photobucket.com/PAXPayne has pictures of a chubby shirtless dude.

    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • millislimmillislim Registered User
    wow! just by eating more small meals and 40 minutes of cardio?...not bad

    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I also do a lot of lifting.

    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    I've joined up on the prime 2012 group on fitocracy as well. I'll continue doing what I'm doing although I considered adding in the C25k program as well. I'll probably try that out tomorrow.

  • Tar3820Tar3820 Registered User regular
    millislim wrote: »
    anyone else starting from square one? I want to get into SOME shape by pax but I don't know where to start...if there's someone else like that in this group want to be exercise buddies?

    I'm not really square one, but I'm definitely square one in lifting. I'd be down to be your buddy in that department, as long as it doesn't screw up my running :D

    Though.. I shattered my elbow a year ago this month and I'm just starting to get to the point where it's "normal" again. I'm a bit terrified to do anything serious with it still, as there's arthritis and nerve damage and the docs say the more I use it, the sooner I'll have to have it replaced.. But I'm tired of having my life on hold :( I'm hoping if I find someone to support and get support from, I can overcome those fears.

    As far as a diet, what you put in your body & how often you eat definitely has a big effect on results. There's lots of guides all over the place but I think the general gist is you want to be eating ~(your weight * 11) calories a day, divided up in small portions throughout the day. I HATE counting calories but should still do it in the beginning to figure out exactly what you're eating. Once you figure out set meals/snacks and know the caloric amount in your head, keeping exact count doesn't matter as much anymore.

    In general, foods that aren't processed are better and so when you shop, stick to the outside edges of the store. Fruits, and veggies that aren't canned are WAY better than those that are, because the preserving stuff they put in so the goods keep is not healthy at all. Nuts, cheese, chicken and fresh produce is a must! Cutting out sodas (even diet!) and sticking to just water based drinks (water, coffee, tea) can help a lot for the first few weeks.

    PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • Tar3820Tar3820 Registered User regular
    Ravenger wrote: »
    So I was thinking of maybe writing up some basic weight training workouts for those in this group that are perhaps unfamiliar with exercise program construction to help get you guys on the right track-does that sound interesting to y'all?

    Interested! Though maybe I should PM you.. I've got stupid limitations.

    PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    millislim wrote: »
    anyone else starting from square one? I want to get into SOME shape by pax but I don't know where to start...if there's someone else like that in this group want to be exercise buddies?

    I'm not really square one, but I'm definitely square one in lifting. I'd be down to be your buddy in that department, as long as it doesn't screw up my running :D

    Though.. I shattered my elbow a year ago this month and I'm just starting to get to the point where it's "normal" again. I'm a bit terrified to do anything serious with it still, as there's arthritis and nerve damage and the docs say the more I use it, the sooner I'll have to have it replaced.. But I'm tired of having my life on hold :( I'm hoping if I find someone to support and get support from, I can overcome those fears.

    As far as a diet, what you put in your body & how often you eat definitely has a big effect on results. There's lots of guides all over the place but I think the general gist is you want to be eating ~(your weight * 11) calories a day, divided up in small portions throughout the day. I HATE counting calories but should still do it in the beginning to figure out exactly what you're eating. Once you figure out set meals/snacks and know the caloric amount in your head, keeping exact count doesn't matter as much anymore.

    In general, foods that aren't processed are better and so when you shop, stick to the outside edges of the store. Fruits, and veggies that aren't canned are WAY better than those that are, because the preserving stuff they put in so the goods keep is not healthy at all. Nuts, cheese, chicken and fresh produce is a must! Cutting out sodas (even diet!) and sticking to just water based drinks (water, coffee, tea) can help a lot for the first few weeks.

    As far as lifting goes I got the book New Rules of Lifting for Women. It was wonderful. Had workout routines all planned out and showed you step by step the different moves. I did it for PAX East and it was a huge help in getting me into shape.

    Prime 2015 Status: .{} 4-Day Badges .{} Hotel .{} Plane Tickets .{} Waiting Patiently .
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13, '14 .. East '12
  • millislimmillislim Registered User
    I have a destroyed right ankle from a skateboard so I'm not 100% solid myself...

    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    Tar3820 wrote: »
    Ravenger wrote: »
    So I was thinking of maybe writing up some basic weight training workouts for those in this group that are perhaps unfamiliar with exercise program construction to help get you guys on the right track-does that sound interesting to y'all?

    Interested! Though maybe I should PM you.. I've got stupid limitations.

    Shoot me a PM; we can discuss

    <@heels>; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels>; oh god, what am i doing
  • HeyJoeHeyJoe Registered User regular
    millislim wrote: »
    anyone else starting from square one? I want to get into SOME shape by pax but I don't know where to start...if there's someone else like that in this group want to be exercise buddies?

    I'm basically starting at square one, primarily doing stationary recumbent bike (45 mins) to shed pounds, alternating with Dance Central 2 (50 minutes or so) every night. The exercise has been fairly easy so far... Tales From the Crypt marathon for the bike rides is working wonders!

    The tough part for me is the dieting, but I have managed to restrict myself to one soda per day, and I have cut out almost everything which has HFC in it as a sweetener (not sure if that helps at all with the weight loss, but I don't trust that stuff...). Working on reducing my portion size and trying to drop 1-2 pounds a week.

  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Alika wrote: »

    I have signed up for this and recruited a friend! Primary goal: finish. Secondary goal: finish as a human.

    ETA: I've also started C25k. End of week 1 here. Hahaha. Better late than never, right? (see above ^ )

    vespachica on
    PAX Prime Omeganaut 2011 // defeated by Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Alika wrote: »

    I'm signed up for the 11:00 wave, as are a handful of my friends. I've started running a three mile loop in my neighborhood to prepare.

  • AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular
    Mogs wrote: »
    I'm signed up for the 11:00 wave, as are a handful of my friends. I've started running a three mile loop in my neighborhood to prepare.
    vespachica wrote: »
    I have signed up for this and recruited a friend! Primary goal: finish. Secondary goal: finish as a human.
    ETA: I've also started C25k. End of week 1 here. Hahaha. Better late than never, right? (see above ^ )

    Awesome! What apps are you using to track your runs? Right now I'm using mapmyrun.com and their android app MapMyRUN+, but I'm not committed to that system.

  • SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Registered User regular
    Allright, I've joined. Prepare to be dragged down by a fatty.

    Seriously though - anyone here know a good & cheap gym around wallingford/Udistrict? By good I mean has a squat rack and free weights and preferably fluffy towels for the shower. But mostly the squat rack.

  • RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    HeyJoe wrote: »
    millislim wrote: »
    anyone else starting from square one? I want to get into SOME shape by pax but I don't know where to start...if there's someone else like that in this group want to be exercise buddies?

    I'm basically starting at square one, primarily doing stationary recumbent bike (45 mins) to shed pounds, alternating with Dance Central 2 (50 minutes or so) every night. The exercise has been fairly easy so far... Tales From the Crypt marathon for the bike rides is working wonders!

    The tough part for me is the dieting, but I have managed to restrict myself to one soda per day, and I have cut out almost everything which has HFC in it as a sweetener (not sure if that helps at all with the weight loss, but I don't trust that stuff...). Working on reducing my portion size and trying to drop 1-2 pounds a week.

    As much as posssible don't touch HFC. Its essentially alcohol without the buzz, in terms of metabolism

    <@heels>; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels>; oh god, what am i doing
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Alika wrote: »
    Mogs wrote: »
    I'm signed up for the 11:00 wave, as are a handful of my friends. I've started running a three mile loop in my neighborhood to prepare.
    vespachica wrote: »
    I have signed up for this and recruited a friend! Primary goal: finish. Secondary goal: finish as a human.
    ETA: I've also started C25k. End of week 1 here. Hahaha. Better late than never, right? (see above ^ )

    Awesome! What apps are you using to track your runs? Right now I'm using mapmyrun.com and their android app MapMyRUN+, but I'm not committed to that system.

    We used run keeper when we were doing C25k. Worked great and was super accurate. You can pre-program your routines and it gives you audio cues as to remaining time.

    adias.angel on
    Prime 2015 Status: .{} 4-Day Badges .{} Hotel .{} Plane Tickets .{} Waiting Patiently .
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13, '14 .. East '12
  • AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular
    Alika wrote: »
    Mogs wrote: »
    I'm signed up for the 11:00 wave, as are a handful of my friends. I've started running a three mile loop in my neighborhood to prepare.
    vespachica wrote: »
    I have signed up for this and recruited a friend! Primary goal: finish. Secondary goal: finish as a human.
    ETA: I've also started C25k. End of week 1 here. Hahaha. Better late than never, right? (see above ^ )

    Awesome! What apps are you using to track your runs? Right now I'm using mapmyrun.com and their android app MapMyRUN+, but I'm not committed to that system.

    We used run keeper when we were doing C25k. Worked great and was super accurate. You can pre-program your routines and it gives you audio cues at to remaining time.

    Thanks for tip. I'll try it out on my next run: http://runkeeper.com/user/GoneCross/profile

  • vgcvgc Registered User regular
    Alika wrote: »

    Omg, I'm in! I'll see if my friend who is also trying to get in shape wants to come. I hate running, but this might be the motivation I need to do so.

  • AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular
    vgc wrote: »
    Alika wrote: »

    Omg, I'm in! I'll see if my friend who is also trying to get in shape wants to come. I hate running, but this might be the motivation I need to do so.

    I historically I have hated distance running, but this too caught my eye. I figured this was my chance to finally utilize the many hours spent on Left-4-Dead 2 versus. Might be hilarious if a bunch of us do the run in some L4D cosplay.

  • MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Alika wrote: »
    Mogs wrote: »
    I'm signed up for the 11:00 wave, as are a handful of my friends. I've started running a three mile loop in my neighborhood to prepare.
    vespachica wrote: »
    I have signed up for this and recruited a friend! Primary goal: finish. Secondary goal: finish as a human.
    ETA: I've also started C25k. End of week 1 here. Hahaha. Better late than never, right? (see above ^ )

    Awesome! What apps are you using to track your runs? Right now I'm using mapmyrun.com and their android app MapMyRUN+, but I'm not committed to that system.

    Not using any app right now. I've been using google maps to figure out a path to run. I just look at the clock when I leave and when I get back to see how my pace is doing. I'm in horrible running shape, but otherwise very fit, so hopefully my body will adapt quickly.

  • degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum Registered User regular
    I just joined Fitocracy and I'm learning to see how this works. So far I'm not quite pleased with manually inputting my workouts, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it soon enough. I've also joined the group under the username: casualgeek.

  • vttymvttym Registered User regular
    For those starting from square one, or looking to maybe do C25k or anything like that, I'll just share my experience in my recent weight loss journey for PAX East 2012:
    I work a desk job - 8 hours sedentary. When I took the job 2 years ago, I weighed 207 thanks to a retail job that was extremely physical (ladders, running the floor, working 12 hour shifts, one small break to eat, etc). After a month at my new job, I started doing the elliptical for a half hour a few times a week, knowing I needed to offset my sudden lack of exercise.

    1.5 years later, I was 250 pounds. I was still on the elliptical a few times a week, and playing basketball during lunch on nice days in the summer, but I was eating more than I was burning. So in early January, I decided to download the myfitnesspal app for my phone, and started tracking my calories. I also switched from the elliptical machine to the treadmill, and doing weights (nothing major, just a few dumbbell lifts each day - wanted to tone up what I hoped to lose in fat). Finally, I saw the Fitness Group for PAX East and joined up here and with Fitocracy.

    In the beginning, I couldn't even jog at 5 mph for longer than 5 minutes at a time. My ankles and knees would bark at me, I'd get winded, and felt miserable. I'd alternate between 5mph jog and 3.5 mph walk for 30 minutes each day. I was also starting up intramural basketball around this time, and had difficulty going up and down the court after a few minutes. I could jog, sure, but no real energy.

    But I kept at it, sticking to my caloric intake plan (I set it for losing 1lb a week, which was about 2100 calories for me - I would also eat what I burned in my workouts). Soon my 5mph runs lasted 10 minutes. Then 15 minutes. Then I was only needing one 3 minute walk in the middle. Finally I was able to jog the whole time at 5mph. Between Jan. 10th of this year (the first day I logged a run in Fitocracy) and Feb. 1st, I went from running 2.5 miles in 35 minutes, to 2.9 miles. In January, my weight went from 242 to 230. And the lifting was making me feel a little better, and a little stronger (not much though). The best part was my improvement in basketball - I had more energy, was quicker (to the point where people were actually saying to me how much faster my reaction time was), and could run up and down the court for an entire game with little issue.

    I was stunned. Needless to say, I was also strongly motivated. I had set my goal for PAX to be 220, which was a 30 lb drop from my high. My second goal was 200 by year's end. Both goals suddenly seemed very much in reach.

    So I kept running - I kept increasing the MPH I was running at by .1 every few days. Soon I hit 3 miles in my run. When I got the badge for running a 5k (which I didn't even realize was 3.1 miles), I knew I was on to something.

    By the end of February, I was running 3.4 miles in 35 minutes. I ended up running in an actual 5k in early March, and would run what I thought was a ridiculous time for having never done one, and encountering a monster hill midway through (finished in 27:56!). My weight loss between February and March was strong - from 230 to 222. I was finally in a groove with running in the gym, and eating within my caloric goals.

    Don't get me wrong, I still eat like shit, and if I ever were to improve the quality of my food, it'd probably be for the better. But I stay within my calorie goals, and am happy to say I'm currently 212 lbs, and running at about 6.8ish mph currently (I can go up to 7 some days, but I'm happy where I'm at right now). The lifting has tailed off a bit, but I will pick that back up.

    I hit my PAX East goal (and beat it, was 218 I think for PAX), and am well on my way to my year-end goal.

    tl;dr: Download a calorie counter, stay within that number, increment your walk/run until you can run, then increment the run. .... Profit!

    That's my story -- obviously exercise and diet is different for everyone, so find what works for you. Just thought I would share what worked for me. I find carrot sticks are a great snack during the day to help curb the appetite a bit, and a banana or oatmeal in the morning goes a long way to getting me to lunch OK.

    Good luck to everyone as you work towards your Prime goals! Set a goal, nudge it down a few more pounds to challenge yourself, and get at it!

  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    For those starting from square one, or looking to maybe do C25k or anything like that, I'll just share my experience in my recent weight loss journey for PAX East 2012:
    I work a desk job - 8 hours sedentary. When I took the job 2 years ago, I weighed 207 thanks to a retail job that was extremely physical (ladders, running the floor, working 12 hour shifts, one small break to eat, etc). After a month at my new job, I started doing the elliptical for a half hour a few times a week, knowing I needed to offset my sudden lack of exercise.

    1.5 years later, I was 250 pounds. I was still on the elliptical a few times a week, and playing basketball during lunch on nice days in the summer, but I was eating more than I was burning. So in early January, I decided to download the myfitnesspal app for my phone, and started tracking my calories. I also switched from the elliptical machine to the treadmill, and doing weights (nothing major, just a few dumbbell lifts each day - wanted to tone up what I hoped to lose in fat). Finally, I saw the Fitness Group for PAX East and joined up here and with Fitocracy.

    In the beginning, I couldn't even jog at 5 mph for longer than 5 minutes at a time. My ankles and knees would bark at me, I'd get winded, and felt miserable. I'd alternate between 5mph jog and 3.5 mph walk for 30 minutes each day. I was also starting up intramural basketball around this time, and had difficulty going up and down the court after a few minutes. I could jog, sure, but no real energy.

    But I kept at it, sticking to my caloric intake plan (I set it for losing 1lb a week, which was about 2100 calories for me - I would also eat what I burned in my workouts). Soon my 5mph runs lasted 10 minutes. Then 15 minutes. Then I was only needing one 3 minute walk in the middle. Finally I was able to jog the whole time at 5mph. Between Jan. 10th of this year (the first day I logged a run in Fitocracy) and Feb. 1st, I went from running 2.5 miles in 35 minutes, to 2.9 miles. In January, my weight went from 242 to 230. And the lifting was making me feel a little better, and a little stronger (not much though). The best part was my improvement in basketball - I had more energy, was quicker (to the point where people were actually saying to me how much faster my reaction time was), and could run up and down the court for an entire game with little issue.

    I was stunned. Needless to say, I was also strongly motivated. I had set my goal for PAX to be 220, which was a 30 lb drop from my high. My second goal was 200 by year's end. Both goals suddenly seemed very much in reach.

    So I kept running - I kept increasing the MPH I was running at by .1 every few days. Soon I hit 3 miles in my run. When I got the badge for running a 5k (which I didn't even realize was 3.1 miles), I knew I was on to something.

    By the end of February, I was running 3.4 miles in 35 minutes. I ended up running in an actual 5k in early March, and would run what I thought was a ridiculous time for having never done one, and encountering a monster hill midway through (finished in 27:56!). My weight loss between February and March was strong - from 230 to 222. I was finally in a groove with running in the gym, and eating within my caloric goals.

    Don't get me wrong, I still eat like shit, and if I ever were to improve the quality of my food, it'd probably be for the better. But I stay within my calorie goals, and am happy to say I'm currently 212 lbs, and running at about 6.8ish mph currently (I can go up to 7 some days, but I'm happy where I'm at right now). The lifting has tailed off a bit, but I will pick that back up.

    I hit my PAX East goal (and beat it, was 218 I think for PAX), and am well on my way to my year-end goal.

    tl;dr: Download a calorie counter, stay within that number, increment your walk/run until you can run, then increment the run. .... Profit!

    That's my story -- obviously exercise and diet is different for everyone, so find what works for you. Just thought I would share what worked for me. I find carrot sticks are a great snack during the day to help curb the appetite a bit, and a banana or oatmeal in the morning goes a long way to getting me to lunch OK.

    Good luck to everyone as you work towards your Prime goals! Set a goal, nudge it down a few more pounds to challenge yourself, and get at it!

    Seconding what @vttym said. Calorie counter is a must have. I have been using the fitbit interface (it's free even if you don't a fitbit) which I really like. (Myfitnesspal also seems to work the same way for an alternative.) When you log your workouts/activities into either one it will recalculate the number of calories remaining. Also you can set a target goal (aka 1lb a week loss, etc) and it will figure that into your calories remaining.

    Prime 2015 Status: .{} 4-Day Badges .{} Hotel .{} Plane Tickets .{} Waiting Patiently .
    Attendee: Prime '12, '13, '14 .. East '12
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Got a few compliments today on how much weight I've lost. Feelsgoodman.

    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I, too, am using MapMyRUN+ in conjunction with the podcasts: http://www.c25k.com/podcasts.htm

    I am also staying away from the treadmill because it just screws with my head.

    PAX Prime Omeganaut 2011 // defeated by Lumines Live! on Xbox 360
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    They have podcasts? I can finally run outside without a watch? Oh my Thor @vespachica you are the best!

    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • millislimmillislim Registered User
    just completed my first day of official calorie counting and will try some gym after I get off work. Working night shifts maks things a little weird. I'll try not to kill myself this morning

    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
This discussion has been closed.