Options

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    The newer Final Fantasies do the same thing, I think. They have a model for walking around town, a model for fighting and a nicer-looking model for cutscenes.

Well, the video was recorded in an old build that was about two weeks old. As they've been working on it over the past month or so, the graphics have been a roller coaster ride. The newest screenshots are about three days old now while the video is half a month old.

As far as anyone knows, there are no special cutscene models as it simply changes the camera angle when moving to dialogue. They just keep pulling out and re-adding graphical features as they, presumably, work out problems.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    god i can't wait for this game.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pancake wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »
    The newer Final Fantasies do the same thing, I think. They have a model for walking around town, a model for fighting and a nicer-looking model for cutscenes.

Well, the video was recorded in an old build that was about two weeks old. As they've been working on it over the past month or so, the graphics have been a roller coaster ride. The newest screenshots are about three days old now while the video is half a month old.

As far as anyone knows, there are no special cutscene models as it simply changes the camera angle when moving to dialogue. They just keep pulling out and re-adding graphical features as they, presumably, work out problems.

Right. It wouldn't make sense to have different models for fighting/model for dialogue because Bioware's been boasting a lot about their conversation system, where apparently you can walk away from most 'town' conversations at will. Everything seems pretty seamless, so I have to say I'd be surprised if they had varying quality models.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I'll be surprised if the game comes out before christmas.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh, that is bullshit

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Noooooooooooo.....I just bought another 360 for Mass Effect. I am so excited. June! JUNE!!!

September....

Okay okay, I can wait, I can wait.

Honestly.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, from all of the reports on the last couple of pages, I assume this delay is because they are busy tightening up the graphics on level 3.

Cokomon on
    post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    Anyone read Alistair reynolds books, don't know what you'd call the series, but the ones involving Resurgam and Yellowstone?

I think it may be a twist like that.
    Basically, machines left accross universe inhibit life partly because it always ends up in wars, and partly because they are making sure that the can limit damage from a galactic collision in a few billion years. But mainly these are caretakers left by an older race, that just seem evil but could be said to have good motives. They're still bastards, but that kind of thing.

Revelation space? Brilliant books.
    Yup, those ones indeed, although I can't say I'm the greatest fan of the ending. I don't think the last book generally is as good as the others.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Zephos wrote: »

I'd like to call BS on this for now. Wasn't the game basically done at GDC, they were just polishing and whatever?

bruin on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This changes what 1up was saying where they figured Halo 3 would be in September to cause it will sell with the die-hards then and get another boost on the black friday holiday cycle, then not have its initial rush go against GTA4 which isn't suicide but may lower sales over all.

Really this is kind of surprising, hopefully though we get a real reason behind this.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bruin wrote: »

I'd like to call BS on this for now. Wasn't the game basically done at GDC, they were just polishing and whatever?

they could still hold it back for financial reasons, the summer drought isn't just because they dont release good games then, its because sales on average are lower.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yea but crackdown came out in a bad month too and look at the sales it did, it's about marketing and cool shit like Halo beta's.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    Warder45Warder45 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bruin wrote: »

they could still hold it back for financial reasons, the summer drought isn't just because they dont release good games then, its because sales on average are lower.

I agree, I don't believe this would be the first game to be pushed back into the holiday buying season. On the plus side, I always prefer the push back to the premature release.

Warder45 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    or maybe just for some conspiracy theory, what if this was Bungie needing more time for Halo 3 and then Mass Effect just getting some more time since September would be a better month for it and they can have a extra couple months to polish.

I know it's insane but what if?

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    or maybe just for some conspiracy theory, what if this was Bungie needing more time for Halo 3 and then Mass Effect just getting some more time since September would be a better month for it and they can have a extra couple months to polish.

I know it's insane but what if?

Games get delayed, even though they're complete, all the time to try and sell it in a more viable time slot. It's nothing unusual.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Cokomon wrote: »
    Well, from all of the reports on the last couple of pages, I assume this delay is because they are busy tightening up the graphics on level 3.

I can vouch for this this, because Casey Hudson's hair is looking fabulouuusss

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    CarnivoreCarnivore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My frothing demand for this game is reaching very high, dangerous, levels of hype.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    Jon 118Jon 118 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Annoying as a delay will be... I have to say I'd rather get a 10/10 game in five months than an 8/10 game in two months.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I really somehow don't think this is credible. Not that it's not possible, but this is CVG. Reporting on a Microsoft event. That no one but them seems to be talking about. Whenever anyone else reports on it, they refer to the CVG article.

Yeah, I believe it. :|

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I agree on the high chance of bullshit or misinformation. But I have to say that I hate the way the mods on the ME forum are handling this. They're just clamming up and making everyone even more frustrated.

I understand that they can't give a release date, though. Maybe they just haven't decided how to handle it yet.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Yeah.

They can't say 'no its not September' because then everyone will turn around and say 'well when is it?'

I expect this to either be confirmed soon or the usual 'Bioware has made no announcement on the release date yet'

Regardless, September is good enough for me.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2007
    noooooooo.jpg

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, tbh I didn't think this was hitting in June anyway.

Still... aw, poo.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    ultrapeanutultrapeanut Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This isn't happening. It will not happen.

If it happens, I'll just build a time machine over the summer, wait until release, and bring a copy back to my June self. Simple solution for a complex problem.

ultrapeanut on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Microsoft has debunked it as rumour.

Spewing the usual 'no announcements have been made regarding the Mass Effect release date'

In conclusion : all bullshit.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    1up is saying this may be European
    http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158921

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Microsoft has responded, apparently.
    "We have not made any official announcements regarding release timing for Mass Effect. At this time, any information about the game's release date is purely rumor and speculation."

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pancake... you're like, our one stop shop for all things Mass Effect.

:^:

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Pancake... you're like, our one stop shop for all things Bioware.

:^:

thar ye go

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Grid SystemGrid System Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hey, so the ESRB seems to have rated Mass Effect M on account of "Blood, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Violence".

Awesome.

Grid System on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Only in one singular encounter, though.

You can either kill, strip, sleep with, or kill a particular NPC during a midgame mission.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Hey, so the ESRB seems to have rated Mass Effect M on account of "Blood, Partial Nudity, Sexual Themes, Violence".

Awesome.

:winky:

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

Awesome.

I could make a paranoid theory about how they are delaying it so that they can cut out stuff and get a T rating.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    That would actually be hilarious. Terrible and retarded, certainly, but also hilarious. The entire population of the official boards would let out the biggest D: ever.

Grid System on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    darleysam wrote: »

Awesome.

I could make a paranoid theory about how they are delaying it so that they can cut out stuff and get a T rating.

Surely it doesn't take 2-3 months to cut stuff out...

MASS EFFECT IS KIDDIE, SHOULD BE ON WII

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Damn right, a D: so huge that it rolls down the Intarweb and crushes all in its path in a great deluge of furious nerd angst. Fortunately I don't think Bioware are insane enough to dumb the title down. Or take that long to do it.

...right? D:

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Partial Nudity and Sexual themes.

wow, hopefully this is handled in a very mature and thoughtful way. the plot sounds like it could be really engrossing.

Carnivore on
    hihi.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Carnivore wrote: »
    Partial Nudity and Sexual themes.

wow, hopefully this is handled in a very mature and thoughtful way. the plot sounds like it could be really engrossing.

you say that, and now i'm picturing opening cutscene things.. maybe a credits fading in and out on the screen, scene-setting shots of spacecraft whooshing about, BOOBS, some epic battling going on, first shot of our spacecraft/protagonist MORE BOOBS aaaaand.. start.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Historically, BioWare has, in their characteristic fashion, held that they were not aiming for any particular rating. This being the case, I am disinclined to think that they will all of a sudden change their tune and aim for T now.

Grid System on
This discussion has been closed.