Options

Mass Effect - 9.75 from Game Informer

• Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Nothing at all specific, but it's a nice quote from the Q&A article that the screenshots Bruin posted. I mostly like the last sentence.
    It’s actually a part of the way we’re finishing the production on the game. We choose specific areas that we’ll focus on, and we review them with a laser-sharp focus. We hammer on the same section every day, playing it on a big screen with lots of the team watching, and in doing that we identify the things that need to get better for the next day.

The prologue was the first of these focus areas, so it was ready to be shown at GDC. Greg and Ray [BioWare co-founders, Zeschuk and Muzyka] literally grabbed one of the recent builds and used it in their demos, which is a good indicator of how close we are to being finished.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    This is the reason I want a 360, no other reason at all. And MGS4 is why I want a PS3.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    This is the reason I want a 360, no other reason at all. And MGS4 is why I want a PS3.

Well it's a good thing Metal Gear Solid 4 is going to be ported to the 360.
    My evil plan is in motion, and so it begins...:twisted:

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

PLEASE tell me you're not lying
    that would be an oxymoron to ask you if you were lying, wouldn't it?
    And 2 words for those screens near the top of the page

HOLY

SHIT

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    BladeofTheImmortalBladeofTheImmortal __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    He's lying, its not being ported.

BladeofTheImmortal on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Dashui wrote: »

:lol:

This thread is full of laughs tonight! =D

Also... game looks dum. omg, no pvp? fail!
    My frothing demand could not be greater

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

Yes. The 'cutscenes' are just times when you can't actually control your characters. It's all in-engine, with the same materials/textures and so forth, IIRC.

Iriah on
  • Options
    Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    In-engine is what i meant, yeah. sweet.

Mister Longbaugh on
  • Options
    MithrusMithrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    If I had an X360, I'd be getting this game for sure. So beautiful.

Mithrus on
    getwriters.jpg
    Send a pm my way if you're interested.
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Remember those emergency transmission viral videos on Youtube? It turns out they're actually part of the prologue. Gametrailers has the sequence up as of today.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2211

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    MUST RESIST

bruin on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    That video is similar to the propaganda that Nine Inch Nails is pushing for their new album. Giant hand's from space.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I had a hunch it'd be from the prologue - it looked similar to that piece of concept art with ashley firing at the sky.

Excellent! Shepard mk.4 - better or worse than mk.3 that we had for ages (x06, for example)? I'm ambivalent, really, though I think I prefer this new one.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    Jon 118Jon 118 Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay, my interest in this game (already pretty high) has just shot up by 456238%. Those new screenshots + that video have really peaked it.

On another note, there something that I've been thinking about in this game; if the machines that the game is based around wipe out ALL intelligent life they come into contact with, how come there's still knowledge of them? Even if it is only a legend, if evebody who meets them dies then nobody would have heard of them at all.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Guessing it's hyperbole, and that there must be some survivors.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    My guess? [INSERT BIOWARE TWIST HERE].

But I think there're probably artifacts from past civillisations lying around. I mean, annihilating all advanced life doesn't necessarily mean annihilating all trace of civillisation.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »

But I think there're probably artifacts from past civillisations lying around. I mean, annihilating all advanced life doesn't necessarily mean annihilating all trace of civillisation.

Yeah, but if you have any sense and you're conducting a mass cleansing like this every 50, 000 years then you makes sure there's no evidence of it. Otherwise you run the risk of people discovering you prior to your return, and finding a way to combat you. Especially if you're a robot; in sci-fi they alway tend to be super calculating, covering every option.

I guess (hope) Edcrab is right, and they come up with a cool twist to explain it.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Jon 118 wrote: »
    Okay, my interest in this game (already pretty high) has just shot up by 456238%.

"Captain, she canno' take the hype! Expectation drive is going critical, something's got to give!"

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You wouldn't even need artifacts or anything; it's probably archeologically provable. If you stretch out across thousands of worlds, and you find a ton of unconnected civilisations being destroyed at 50,000 year intervals, I'd bet a ton of legends will crop up.

I'm hoping for the Cool Twist(tm) too, though.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »

Yeah, but if you have any sense and you're conducting a mass cleansing like this every 50, 000 years then you makes sure there's no evidence of it. Otherwise you run the risk of people discovering you prior to your return, and finding a way to combat you. Especially if you're a robot; in sci-fi they alway tend to be super calculating, covering every option.

I guess (hope) Edcrab is right, and they come up with a cool twist to explain it.

It's not a mass cleansing, really. Well, for who they choose to cleanse, it is, but not really in a wipe out all life in the galaxy sort of way.

The machines come every 50,000 years, not to wipe out all life, but to destroy advanced life. It just so happens that humanity is now a large space faring race and are now a very good target along with all these other alien species. So when the cleansing occurs, there is still primitive life left, possibly on many of the cleansed worlds. I was always under the impression that their goal isn't simple extermination, but killing and destroying until they've killed and destroyed these worlds to a more primitive state. This would leave plenty of room for legends to arise.

And really, who takes even 3,000 year old legends seriously anymore? 50,000 years is more than enough time for these things to fade into mythology and even become largely forgotten.

EDIT:
    Excellent! Shepard mk.4 - better or worse than mk.3 that we had for ages (x06, for example)? I'm ambivalent, really, though I think I prefer this new one.

I like the new one a lot better. I keep hearing he doesn't look as distinctive as the old Shepard, but this newer one doesn't have razor sharp cheek bones or look quite as, uh, edgy anymore and just looks a little better overall. Not that it matters since I'll be making my own anyway.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    You wouldn't even need artifacts or anything; it's probably archeologically provable. If you stretch out across thousands of worlds, and you find a ton of unconnected civilisations being destroyed at 50,000 year intervals, I'd bet a ton of legends will crop up.

I'm hoping for the Cool Twist(tm) too, though.

Yeah... unless they simply atomised the top half mile or so of crust on each planet they found advanced life on. I'd like to see archeological evidence survive that. My point is that unless the machines are really stupid (in which case they won't be fun to fight) they'd find ways to hide their presence. Which would include destroying all species of even moderate intelligence they encounter, although as I understand it they would only actively seek advanced civilisations. But anyway, I'm going to stop trying to poke holes in the logic of the game and just look forward to it. And hopefully not explode.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Everyone's going on about how Bioware's going to give us a cool twist, only it's going to be the same one from KotoR, which was the same one from Baldur's Gate. :P

subedii on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    subedii wrote: »
    Everyone's going on about how Bioware's going to give us a cool twist, only it's going to be the same one from KotoR, which was the same one from Baldur's Gate. :P

From what we know, I honestly don't see much room for a big twist, at least not one directly involving the PC, so it probably wouldn't be as big or impactful a twist. That doesn't mean it's impossible, of course.

Oh, and another thing: Mass Effect is the first game in a trilogy. It's possible that the story may develop in such a way that it will leave itself open to a twist even if Mass Effect itself doesn't.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Um... how can they have the same twist when
    in one game you're the amnesiac turned good dark lord fighting your old allies, and in the other you're trying to protect humanity from a race of ancient machines that have nothing whatsoever to do with you? (How can they if humaity is only a few thousand years old and these guys are probably millions of years old)

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Like pancake said, they're only after advanced civilisations. It's entirely possible they're actually really ecologically concerned, and do not want to destroy non-advanced life or destroy planets. It's Bioware; I doubt they're that black-and-white evil. They must have some motivation, which will affect the way they do things.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's going to be a trilogy, isn't it? They'll find a way to do something interesting...

And the KotoR twist wasn't really all that much like the BG twist...
    Yeah, definite similarities, but in one case your nature is revealed and in the other your identity as an established villian is revealed. Plenty of people saw both coming, but I'm blessed with a slow brain!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Like pancake said, they're only after advanced civilisations. It's entirely possible they're actually really ecologically concerned, and do not want to destroy non-advanced life or destroy planets. It's Bioware; I doubt they're that black-and-white evil. They must have some motivation, which will affect the way they do things.

I know, I was just pointing out that it would be easy (well, kind of) for them to erase all traces of their existence if they wanted to. Hmm... so maybe they want us to know about them for some reason.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Oh, I agree with you on that point - AI generally make absolutely excellent, super-patient elaborate-planning villains. Yeah.

I like the idea that the machines might be anti-promethean. That's a really gorgeous plot point.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

I know, I was just pointing out that it would be easy (well, kind of) for them to erase all traces of their existence if they wanted to. Hmm... so maybe they want us to know about them for some reason.

Or maybe they don't care because whenever any civilization is old enough to be able to stop them before they go on their cleansing, it's been so long that very few believe the validity of the stories about the Reapers and don't care to stop them or possibly don't even know where to look if they wanted to. And if they target all advanced life, the Reapers must be nigh unstoppable once they start moving.

But I'd assume time is a great ally when you have fifty thousand years. Especially when everyone who might have known is subsequently destroyed back into prehistory.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

Or maybe they don't care because whenever any civilization is old enough to be able to stop them before they go on their cleansing, it's been so long that very few believe the validity of the stories about the Reapers and don't care to stop them or possibly don't even know where to look if they wanted to. And if they target all advanced life, the Reapers must be nigh unstoppable once they start moving.

But I'd assume time is a great ally when you have fifty thousand years. Especially when everyone who might have known is subsequently destroyed back into prehistory.

Yeah, but it would be kind of sloppy for them just to allow time to do the work, especially since it wouldn't have a 100% success rate in getting rid of the legends (suppose you have a species with photographic or collective memories?) and, as was pointed out earlier, they'd leave behind archeological evidence at the very least.

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Yeah, but it would be kind of sloppy for them just to allow time to do the work, especially since it wouldn't have a 100% success rate in getting rid of the legends (suppose you have a species with photographic or collective memories?) and, as was pointed out earlier, they'd leave behind archeological evidence at the very least.

Well, we already know there are legends, but very few people take them seriously. So the machines are obviously doing something wrong if they don't want them hanging around. I think it's probably either on purpose or out of apathy.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Well, we already know there are legends, but very few people take them seriously. So the machines are obviously doing something wrong if they don't want them hanging around. I think it's probably either on purpose or out of apathy.

Most likely deliberate in my opinion, out of some motive that is completely unfathomable to humans. :P

Jon 118 on
  • Options
    edited April 2007

Machine 24175: "For crying out loud, how much longer is this going to take?"

Machine 24261: "Tell me about it, every time you clean up the galaxy, some idiot race has to uplift and screw things up again"

Machine 24175: "Is a few eons of peace and quiet too much to ask?

Machine 24261: "Ah screw this, we got most of them this time, they've probably learned not to bother by now. Let's head back to my place and watch House. The signal for the next episode should have reached Px'omae Beta by now"

Machine 24175: "SCORE!"

*50,000 years later*

Machine 24175: " "They've learned not to bother" you said. YOU SUCK GARY!"

Machine 24261: "I guess some species are too damn stupid for their own good. Ah well, at least they got a second series of Firefly out this time"

Machine 24175: "True. Reavers rock."

subedii on
  • Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    edited April 2007

HA

I can see it, "Oh it turns out mankind eons ago created the machines and they went on a rampage killing all life, a group of humans escaped to a distant part of the galaxy they never reached/knew about/visted "earth""

Shapeshifter on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007

HA

I can see it, "Oh it turns out mankind eons ago created the machines and they went on a rampage killing all life, a group of humans escaped to a distant part of the galaxy they never reached/knew about/visted "earth""

Halo? Is... Is that you?

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    And if anyone is concerned about the differences in graphical quality between the last batch of three screenshots released and the video, Chris Priestly of BioWare had this to say about the screenshots:
    I think the different terms meant are "In-Engine" and "In-Game".

In engine means we use the engine to create a special area using the Unreal engine (the ngine we are using for Mass Effect) to take the screenshots. They are similar to in game shots, but are usually better composed and can be changed in subtle ways to make sure they look amazing. In game screenshots are shots that are actually taken from gameplay in a current build.

These screenshots you're refering to are all in game. :)

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    The newer Final Fantasies do the same thing, I think. They have a model for walking around town, a model for fighting and a nicer-looking model for cutscenes.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anyone read Alistair reynolds books, don't know what you'd call the series, but the ones involving Resurgam and Yellowstone?

I think it may be a twist like that.
    Basically, machines left accross universe inhibit life partly because it always ends up in wars, and partly because they are making sure that the can limit damage from a galactic collision in a few billion years. But mainly these are caretakers left by an older race, that just seem evil but could be said to have good motives. They're still bastards, but that kind of thing.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Anyone read Alistair reynolds books, don't know what you'd call the series, but the ones involving Resurgam and Yellowstone?

I think it may be a twist like that.
    Basically, machines left accross universe inhibit life partly because it always ends up in wars, and partly because they are making sure that the can limit damage from a galactic collision in a few billion years. But mainly these are caretakers left by an older race, that just seem evil but could be said to have good motives. They're still bastards, but that kind of thing.

Revelation space? Brilliant books.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.