As The DayZ Go By (water flowing underground)

• DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    Maaaan. If you are just starting out. Refrain from killing zombies unless you need to because damn are they attracted to gunfire. Also Dux, saw you on the pa server. Unfortunately it is dark so I have found a different server.

EDIT: By 'saw', I mean I saw your name on the player list.

We should hang out when the sun's up, man.

Up our chances of not dying.

• facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Okay, I updated to the 1.6 patch but I still can't access DayZ servers. They're all red X's, and where it says Version: it shows 1.6, and where it says Required: it says 1.6 but is red.

Does it have something to do with that that launch options thing mentioned on the forum thread for the Installer tool? Because I can't actually figure out how to add that since it only mentions how to do that for the Steam version.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
    Actually, I can't access any servers, even though again, it's saying right there I have the correct version.

Real strong, facetious.

facetious wrote: »
    Actually, I can't access any servers, even though again, it's saying right there I have the correct version.

Has Battleye been installed correctly?

• InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    All these people having problems has me nervous since I don't have the steam version, crossing my fingers as I install this.

It didn't give me any issues when it installed either time (for the base game + OA), so I don't see why it shouldn't be, but how would I actually check?

Real strong, facetious.

It didn't give me any issues when it installed either time (for the base game + OA), so I don't see why it shouldn't be, but how would I actually check?

Go into your operation arrowhead folder and check if it has a Battleye folder.

Same for the base game.

edited May 2012
    Yeah, although both base + OA are in the same folder and there's only one Battleye folder.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

Yeah, although both base + OA are in the same folder and there's only one Battleye folder.

All the files are in the same folder and not in two seperate folders?

Huh. Well then I dunno. I have the steam version, which is probably why it's different.

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Steam is the outlier - the retail and all other digital versions combine into one folder. facetious, try adding a -mod=dayz switch to the executable.

also, we've gone through 70GB of bandwidth in the past day. donations appreciated.

edited May 2012
    Steam is the outlier - the retail and all other digital versions combine into one folder. facetious, try adding a -mod=dayz switch to the executable.

How do I do that exactly?

Like, where do I paste it?

And besides which, I can't access any servers, even with other missions. And at the bottom it's telling me my version is wrong (it's red) even though it literally says that I have 1.6.

facetious on
    Real strong, facetious.

just saw a huge argument about 'gammahacking'

aka, upping your gamma and HDR so that instead of not seeing anything at night, you see a like

landscape that was paint bucketed black all willy-nilly and pencil sketch filtered

it's all liney and black and white and night-timey and, honestly, way scarier than the pitch black, you're all jumping at moving bushes because you can't separate images and you can still see well enough to move

it's actually way more fun but nope it's a HACK make it so that gamma is set low and if you raise it, it HIGHLIGHTS YOUR BODY so people can see you god I hate these forums

i really like doing this! it's part of the reason why server is on Vladivistok time

Although I should mention I downloaded SixUpdater to see if that would help, and apart from not really knowing how to use it that's telling me that my version is 1.59. So.. what. I even reinstalled the 1.6 patch just to be sure.

Real strong, facetious.

edited May 2012

aka, upping your gamma and HDR so that instead of not seeing anything at night, you see a like

landscape that was paint bucketed black all willy-nilly and pencil sketch filtered

it's all liney and black and white and night-timey and, honestly, way scarier than the pitch black, you're all jumping at moving bushes because you can't separate images and you can still see well enough to move

it's actually way more fun but nope it's a HACK make it so that gamma is set low and if you raise it, it HIGHLIGHTS YOUR BODY so people can see you god I hate these forums

i really like doing this! it's part of the reason why server is on Vladivistok time

I didn't know this. Seems neat.

How do you do it?

Dux on
    edited May 2012
    Dux wrote: »

I didn't know this. Seems neat.

How do you do it?

it's just the server clock, so right now i can't set two separate timezones unless i rent another machine. (not happening.)

LEM was having some trouble last night with desync - that means i need more cores to run 2 servers, so i'm just doing TARKOVSKY until i get enough donations to upgrade the server. I wouldn't be mentioning it so much, except that there's no way I can afford to pay this out of pocket and it has to be donation-run.

Orikaeshigitae on
    oh, and i changed it to Hawaii time because folks were whining.

Just.. why.

1235h7d.jpg

Real strong, facetious.

I'll send some money your way soon, Orik.

• MrBrickMrBrick Underneath pub furniture.Registered User regular
    Hope you guys are cool with a long-time lurker type diving in? I'll totally throw some horrible pound stirling at Orik once I've got the buggering thing working!

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    This sounds rad as hell, I hope people are still playing it in a month

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    oh man this game is so fucking rad.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I think I'll play this more once it hits beta or thereabouts

The primary issue for me, and it's obviously not the devs' faults, is that the awful zombie pathing is probably never going to get fixed since Arma2 AI is coded terribly

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    I'll probably end up uninstalling and reinstalling everything after work tonight. blah.

Real strong, facetious.

• CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Survivor with a bandit skin just saved my ass. Guess they're not all bad.

• John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular

This was the first thing I did after realising how goddamn dark it is on default settings. I think it looks great.

It's like surviving a zombie apocalypse in Sin City.

Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    I'm gonna jump on Tarkovsky in a half hour or so.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    oh, and i changed it to Hawaii time because folks were whining.

Holy crap, a server on the same time as me? It's like christmas! And I'll kick you a few bucks after this weekend, man.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • InkyblotsInkyblots Registered User regular
    Anyone know how to fix receiving data getting stuck 2/3rds through loading a server? Shit sucks.

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I'm fairly sure I spent all my time last night following a road going in circles. I'll try to get on today and do action fun things

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Dux wrote: »
    Maaaan. If you are just starting out. Refrain from killing zombies unless you need to because damn are they attracted to gunfire. Also Dux, saw you on the pa server. Unfortunately it is dark so I have found a different server.

EDIT: By 'saw', I mean I saw your name on the player list.

We should hang out when the sun's up, man.

Up our chances of not dying.

We should. I should be on later today in like 3 or so hours, but will only be able to play for an hour before going to work.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the tarkovsky server is 99% bandits

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
    I finally make my way to civilization. Buildings everywhere, but I hadn't seen a human, zombie or otherwise, since I started out. I make my way into the town, and start scavenging. I find food, which is good; I just ate my last can of pasta. I move further into the town, and in the distance, there's something that resembles a palace. I hit a few buildings between my position and there, and pick up binoculars, a watch, a sniper, and 3 full clips for it. Slowly, crouched, i make my way toward the palace. I begin jumping a fence when suddenly, I hear gunfire. And feel gunfire.

Fuck you, bandits.

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I'm feeling pretty good about my skills. I've offed like 50 zombies and made it out of a few hairy situations. Now i'm heading up towards the airfield to see if things get more interesting and I wanna run into some survivors.

I think the server went down (on purpose) and I can't find it now, so I'll try back again in a while.

• bombardierbombardier Moderator Mod Emeritus
    I had a two pretty epic standoffs last night. The first was on the PA server.

My friend Bleh! and I were near Devil's Castle and were heading west to the airfield when we first joined. We approached the airfield from the north corner with him watching from afar with a sniper rifle because I needed some painkillers to stop the jitters. I had a Winchester and piles of ammo. We are cautiously approaching the buildings which are surrounded by hoards of Zs, I'm crawling along and Bleh is watching and looking for loot from a distance. I make it to the control tower but there's not much inside, just some basic supplies and glowsticks. Across the tarmac is a fire station so I head over there and see if it fares better.

It did.

The tower had an AK74 with three magazines of ammo, and I found some painkillers as well. After sweeping the station I move onto the six hangars. The first one appeared to have a dead bandit at the doorway with a delicious ALICE pack. I approach his body and find three more magazines of AK ammo and an extra map and compass for my friend. As I'm searching, he spots someone dart from the hangar next to me into the one further down. He's not a bandit, but we're not taking any chances. Bleh hits him once and he panics, firing a round into the air but shortly collapses after.

Chris dies. Bleh was unknowingly too close to some Zs and they were swarming him. After some panicked screaming over Skype, I see him booking it across the airfield with about 20 zombies behind him.

Hoping the area is clear, I approach the tower which he's headed for and throw a smoke grenade to draw away some of the pursuing Zs. It grabs a few but the grenade lands near the front doorway. Bleh managed to make it inside and finish off most of the hoard but there are stragglers circling the tower. He makes it to the top and after a few minutes took fire from one of the hangars. I'm prone in the grass below and try to see the gunman, but can't get a visual. Bleh heads down to the bottom floor of the tower and I crawl in. We watch out the side window for a few minutes until the gunman appears. Bleh takes a shot with the sniper rifle but misses and the gunman disappears.

The gunshot was pretty loud, apparently, as we got swarmed AGAIN and had to fend off about 20 more Zs busting through the front door. I use up about 3 mags of AK ammo dealing with them, but somehow Bleh glitched out and some Zs killed him through a wall. I couldn't save him in time but put his gear away in my ALICE pack until we hopefully meet again.

The mysterious gunman shows his face a few minutes later after the dust settles and has approached the tower. I hear his footsteps outside and catch occasional glimpses of him circling. I'm ready with my AK and a full magazine pointed at the front door, waiting to see if he gets too curious.

10 minutes later, the doors bust open and he is carrying a sniper rifle. I unload on him but my accuracy is all over the place from the recent zombie fight and I'm in need of painkillers. The magazine is gone, we are both still alive. I have taken a shot to my leg as I'm down on the ground. He is crawling towards me. I pull out my M1911.

Chris' corpse lies a few steps from my bleeding body. Somehow he returned to the airfield shortly after dieing the first time and had a sniper rifle with him. I'm at maybe 10% blood and am trying to bandage before I bleed out. My eyes are pulsing, blurry, everything is too bright. I can't stand. A few morphine shots later, I'm able to hobble around and clean up the mess quickly and take whatever I can. Chris was carrying a lot of food as well as a toolbox. I add to my healthy supply of equipment and scarf down enough food to keep the pulsing vision away.

I remember the dead bandit in the hangar as well as the firestation across the tarmac. I return the fire station and find that some new weapons have appeared, perhaps I missed them on the first scan. This time it's an M16A2 with one clip so I decide to take that. The bandit's body had a few more cans of food but I was still very low on blood. In case Chris somehow manages to return as quickly again, I decide it's time to leave this place and I disappear into the woods and head East for the coast. Along the way I manage to find a cow and a boar, so along with my hunting knife and matches I kept from Bleh, I'm able to return to full blood and am ready to move on.

• CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Mmm, epic story, so good... don't stop, almost there...

steam_sig.png
  • monsterzeromonsterzero Registered User regular
    hey guys anted to apologize for being a horridummy on the server ( my in game name is Johnny Thunder) was first time logging in and i was on my laptop (which is THE worst) and somehow was making yall hear me in like a global chat and i couldnt figure out how to turn itoff so i just shutdown my comp rofl. but yea im very sorry hope yall didnt ban me D: i reckon ill get in teamspeak this time so i can ask questions opposed to smahing buttons till things happen

<3
    MZ

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    hey guys anted to apologize for being a horridummy on the server ( my in game name is Johnny Thunder) was first time logging in and i was on my laptop (which is THE worst) and somehow was making yall hear me in like a global chat and i couldnt figure out how to turn itoff so i just shutdown my comp rofl. but yea im very sorry hope yall didnt ban me D: i reckon ill get in teamspeak this time so i can ask questions opposed to smahing buttons till things happen

<3
    MZ

You Switch channels using the < and > keys and double-tapping CAPS LOCK turns on and off voice.

You are allowed to voice-chat in the "Direct" channel only because that will only speak to people who are nearby on the map (as if you were just speaking out-loud).

Be careful out there.

TankHammer on
    Oh, and for the record everyone, you can turn off that annoying radio chat by going into audio options -> Radio Subtitles -> off.

This discussion has been closed.