As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Today In The [War On Women] : Daniel Tosh - Professional Goosebag

AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Yep, so much for compromise:

http://m.npr.org/story/153218446?url=/blogs/health/2012/05/21/153218446/catholic-groups-sue-obama-administration-over-birth-control-rule

You have to wonder - after the kicking around they got the last time, why return for more?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
AngelHedgie on

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yep, so much for compromise:

http://m.npr.org/story/153218446?url=/blogs/health/2012/05/21/153218446/catholic-groups-sue-obama-administration-over-birth-control-rule

You have to wonder - after the kicking around they got the last time, why return for more?

They either hope the Supreme Court will side with them (possibly because the SC has been so partisan lately) or they hope for a Romney Admin to give them an out when this would come to bear in the courts.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm just waiting for the tortured logic as to why the Two Tonys And Sam don't have to recuse themselves.

• Options
    I'm just waiting for the tortured logic as to why the Two Tonys And Sam don't have to recuse themselves.

Because they are totally impartial. But they'll demand every liberal justice recuse themselves because they are atheists.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Well, as we all know, it's a first amendment issue, and a states rights issue. The Federal government is not allowed to pass any law favouring a religion over any other religion, and seeing as Atheism is a religion...
    I know I'm a bitter, sarcastic cunt inside but typing that out really made me cringe. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the church tried to argue that exact same point though.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Zephiran wrote: »
    Well, as we all know, it's a first amendment issue, and a states rights issue. The Federal government is not allowed to pass any law favouring a religion over any other religion, and seeing as Atheism is a religion...
    I know I'm a bitter, sarcastic cunt inside but typing that out really made me cringe. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the church tried to argue that exact same point though.
    Sadly, I think you're right about that.

• Options
    Though, you know what absolutely tickles my nuts?

In order for the church to argue that they're free to be however much bigoted arseholes as they please, they are automatically opening up the door for other religions' bigotry.

Like say, for example, sharia law.

I think we all know how these people feel about sharia law.

"Now, some religions are obviously more equal than others..."

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Good. I hope they win. The government shouldn't have a hand in telling the Catholic church how to handle birth control.

Also, pertaining to the name of this thread: Hyperbolic much?

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Good. I hope they win. The government shouldn't have a hand in telling the Catholic church how to handle birth control.

They don't. Unless it's changed since this first came to public attention, I thought the financing of contraception was a matter between the insurance company and the employee.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular

It doesn't. Churches are exempt. In fact, the law that went into play actually frees Churches specifically from having to do this, in 8 different states, where they had to before.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Not really, but that's also not what's happening on the government's side. The church is asserting authority where it has none and claiming the government is infringing on its rights. The rule they're suing about was specifically crafted to avoid "telling the Catholic church how to handle birth control" but that wasn't good enough: the church wants any employer to be able to keep women from getting birth control (this combined with many many other regressive and overbearing laws sponsored by the Party of Small Government add up to the War on Women).

In my view, if they're not an actual church, and especially if their accepting federal money, their religious conviction shouldn't be coming into it, but that's not the current legal view, nor the view the administration took in crafting this law.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Marie AugustMarie August Los Angeles, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It's a dumb move. There's now way they can win. Catholics can't force 90% of the population to stop using birth control just because they don't believe in it.

It's one thing to say "Government, don't force your beliefs on me." It's another to say "Government, force my beliefs on everyone else." Don't be hypocrites, Catholic Church!

Marie August on
    banner3.jpg
    Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    It's a dumb move. There's now way they can win. Catholics can't force 90% of the population to stop using birth control just because they don't believe in it.

It's one thing to say "Government, don't force your beliefs on me." It's another to say "Government, force my beliefs on everyone else." Don't be hypocrites, Catholics!

Note: Catholics believe in birth control just fine. The Church, otoh...

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Marie AugustMarie August Los Angeles, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

It's one thing to say "Government, don't force your beliefs on me." It's another to say "Government, force my beliefs on everyone else." Don't be hypocrites, Catholics!

Note: Catholics believe in birth control just fine. The Church, otoh...

Yeah, I edited it to "Catholic Church" right after you quoted me. :)

I'm not intending to condemn all Catholics. Just the group of people who support this action. I can respect people's opinions that differ from mine. I respect people that don't believe in contraception, even though I don't agree. But I do not respect hypocrites.

banner3.jpg
    Read my fairy tale webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

They don't. Unless it's changed since this first came to public attention, I thought the financing of contraception was a matter between the insurance company and the employee.

Bishop Cistone was on TV here talking about this part of the issue (guy's an even bigger blowhard than Carlson, looks like the tolerant soft spoken bishops like Untener and Reh are all dead now), and the issue is that their employees will have the option available at all. They don't care who's paying for it, it's bad enough they could still spend their own money on it. It doesn't matter who's option it is, no Catholic should have the option at all, and if it were up to them they'd get every employer in the Diocese on their side so they could deny this coverage to Christian employees. Of course, this is the same guy who was still talking about government death panels as recently as January.

I really, really hope this is just the local clueless sheep-in-shepherd's-clothes grossly misunderstanding his own religion as usual and not their actual argument, because if it is, it'll be pretty sad to watch this unfold in the news.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Hevach wrote: »

Bishop Cistone was on TV here talking about this part of the issue (guy's an even bigger blowhard than Carlson, looks like the tolerant soft spoken bishops like Untener and Reh are all dead now), and the issue is that their employees will have the option available at all. They don't care who's paying for it, it's bad enough they could still spend their own money on it. It doesn't matter who's option it is, no Catholic should have the option at all, and if it were up to them they'd get every employer in the Diocese on their side so they could deny this coverage to Christian employees.

Wow, it's almost as if they believe they can stamp out sin entirely by making it inconvenient.

• Options
    As a Catholic (albeit a very very bad one) the Church in the US has made some incredibly dumb missteps recently, to go along with increasingly orthodox and unpopular stances on several issues. Unfortunately the Catholic laity can't do fuck all about it except be bad Catholics since the Church is anything but a democracy.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    As a Catholic (albeit a very very bad one) the Church in the US has made some incredibly dumb missteps recently, to go along with increasingly orthodox and unpopular stances on several issues. Unfortunately the Catholic laity can't do fuck all about it except be bad Catholics since the Church is anything but a democracy.

They could leave the church.

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

Don't be ludicrous.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

Don't be ludicrous.

Can't tell if serious or not.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Don't be ludicrous.

Elldren is being serious, that's a ludicrous thing to say. I know that people forget how much religion means to some of us on this board, but it's still a thing for the vast majority of humanity.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    My suspicion, not that it absolves them of overreaching opinions or anything, is that Bishops are being manipulated by people who would prefer not to mention President Obama in the present tense this time next year, so while they condemn stuff like the Ryan Budget, they seem to get more worked up about stuff like this.

Your Grace(s), the Church teaches that all humans are sinners, that we are essentially base creatures touched by the Grace of God. Surely it makes more sense to try and dampen the impact and consequence of sin (contraception, properly funded addict programs etc) than trying to stamp out sin entirely and have the sin that will inevitably continue to occur have a deeper impact?

• Options

Don't be ludicrous.

I'm serious. What comes after "leave the church"? What is the second step that you are advocating? Schism?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2012

It did work before. In the 50's and 60's, there was an immense exodus from the Saginaw diocese, mostly people converting to Lutheran. A couple bishops ignored it, but Reh saw it a as a sign that the church had ceased to be relevant to modern society, and because the entire point of Vatican II was to keep the church relevant, he MADE it relevant. Attendance exploded with his changes, and Untener took it farther - to the point that there were lay ministers in many parishes who were openly gay or in other various immoral living arrangements, and shortly before his death he and all the priests who he or Reh had appointed made a substantial public apology to the people that Christians were wronging in the state, and opposed the gay marriage ban (even though nearly all the members supported it). The very day he died the Cardinal called him wayward and liberal, and... well, it shouldn't be a surprise that since then all the membership growth that Reh and Untener generated over an entire generation evaporated in less than five years, and kept evaporating.

Most of the priests from those days are dead or forced into retirement, but nearly all the nuns serving are from that time. They've been some of the loudest opposition to church bullshit since Carlson came in. One the last times I actually showed my face, a nun confronted a priest in goddamn church over it. "We're sorry to see our beloved sisters retiring -" "We're not retiring, Carlson's eliminating our positions because we didn't share his hateful beliefs." "Yes, well... we'll miss them very... much."
    I'm serious. What comes after "leave the church"? What is the second step that you are advocating? Schism?

No, just wait. Churches may ostensibly be non profit, but they still have to pay the bills, and they still play the business game. In the past, when the Catholic Church has seen an exodus of members, they (eventually) take action with updated practices and teachings. It's only a matter of time before it happens again, because people are leaving in unprecedented numbers, parishes are closing in unprecedented numbers, and entire diocese are heading towards bankruptcy, and the old fad of unbaptism is coming back, where simply leaving isn't considered enough but people are notifying their religious leaders that they have renounced their sacraments.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

In order for the church to argue that they're free to be however much bigoted arseholes as they please, they are automatically opening up the door for other religions' bigotry.

Well it could be argued that when people say 'sharia law' in the US political discourse, they're really referring to an amalgamation of Islamic doctrine, tribal customs, and national laws in certain Middle Eastern countries.

But that level of nuanced understanding is, of course, asking too much of someone who is really just trying to say "Fuck those arabs, am I right?!"

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm not even a practicing Catholic. I'm a terrible Catholic. But "Leave the church" is a common reply in these sorts of situations and I really have no idea what is precisely meant by it.

If "stop attending" is what is meant, I've long since done that.

edit: to clarify: being a bad Catholic involves not attending mass and not giving to collections and whatnot

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    TL DR wrote: »

Well it could be argued that when people say 'sharia law' in the US political discourse, they're really referring to an amalgamation of Islamic doctrine, tribal customs, and national laws in certain Middle Eastern countries.

But that level of nuanced understanding is, of course, asking too much of someone who is really just trying to say "Fuck those arabs, am I right?!"

When people say Sharia law in the US, they're usually thinking "HOLY TERRORISTS!" If people were more nuanced about it, they would realize that sharia is already illegal to the extent they want to make it illegal: just like all religious based law.

An additional law is unnecessary. Party of small government, right?

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

It's one thing to say "Government, don't force your beliefs on me." It's another to say "Government, force my beliefs on everyone else." Don't be hypocrites, Catholic Church!

I'm Catholic. My family is Catholic.

You know what my mother said when she heard I had a girlfriend?:

"make sure you use protection and she's on the pill".

Now my mother is old. 60+. This is how far out of touch the Catholic church is with its parishioners.

The old lady who plays the organ in church doesn't agree with their views on birth control

Karl on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm not even a practicing Catholic. I'm a terrible Catholic. But "Leave the church" is a common reply in these sorts of situations and I really have no idea what is precisely meant by it.

edit: to clarify: being a bad Catholic involves not attending mass and not giving to collections and whatnot

That's pretty much all I meant. I'm not sure what else would matter, to the hierarchy anyway.

edit: Also I guess it would include not letting the church's positions dictate your vote, but that probably goes along with not attending as well.

KalTorak on
  • Options

That's pretty much all I meant. I'm not sure what else would matter, to the hierarchy anyway.

edit: Also I guess it would include not letting the church's positions dictate your vote, but that probably goes along with not attending as well.

I don't really consider not attending to be leaving the Church. I mean, unless someone decides to properly excommunicate me or something, but I'm nobody important so that's unlikely.

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

I don't really consider not attending to be leaving the Church. I mean, unless someone decides to properly excommunicate me or something, but I'm nobody important so that's unlikely.

I was using "leaving the church" to colloquially mean "not support the institution." Since as you said, it's not a democracy, that's the only level of control the laity can have over the institution; if they lose enough members, they'll be forced to change.

By "losing members" I mean, if enough Catholics stop going to church, giving them money, and voting with the church. The Vatican can have a list of Catholics miles long if they want, but all they care about is how many of the people on that list are still giving them material support (i.e. audience, money, political support). If Catholics disagree with everything the Church is saying but still go to church and donate, the Church won't give a shit about what the person is actually thinking.

• Options
    edited May 2012

The Church does, though. One month a year (often October, since it's not artificially inflated by Christmas/Easter Catholics putting in their annual appearance and is generally mediocre weather - good weather and people would rather be outside, bad weather and they'd rather stay home entirely), each diocese has the ushers directly count the attendance in every parish, and uses that to determine membership, which in turn determines each parishes CSA requirement, obligation to the Vatican, and where they rank when it comes time to start closing churches from membership drops, etc.

This is basically sweeps week for the church, those ratings help determine the future of each parish for the rest of the season, second only to actual collections. Your specific absence may be overlooked, but you've still created a one head drop in their counts.

Hevach on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular

Where is the government telling the Catholic church how to handle birth control?

Seriously. Where?

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Not allowing discrimination is religious persecution you see

• Options
    Yeah its ridiculous like when Sandra Fluke testified that Georgetown REQUIRES them to have health insurance to attend, REQUIRES them to pay for it out of pocket, and then DENIES them on their own health insurance from getting birth control it was insane. Even more insane when Georgetown's own faculties healthcare covers contraception!

Any sane person would see this is as stupid as hell. Insurance from your employer is a paid benefit of working there, your boss can not say you can't use your paycheck to buy liquor, porn, and fatty foods, but churches think they can say "But your health insurance that you get as a benefit from working here can not be used for something you want."

Whats next Jehova's Witness bosses denying blood transfusion coverage?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

I can't speak for the other parties to the suit, but Notre Dame's problem is that, much like a number of very large companies, they're self-insured. There isn't an insurance company to be dealt with. For ND employees to have contraception available on our insurance plans would require Notre Dame themselves to offer contraception, because they are our insurer.

FWIW, this seems to be the core complaint in ND's suit:
    The Government has no compelling interest in forcing Notre Dame to violate its sincerely held religious beliefs by requiring it to provide, pay for, or facilitate access to abortion-inducing drugs, sterilizations, and contraceptives. The Government itself has relieved numerous other employers from this requirement by exempting grandfathered plans and plans of employers it deems to be sufficiently religious. Moreover, these services are widely available in the United States. The U.S. Supreme Court has held that individuals have a constitutional right to use such services. And nothing that Notre Dame does inhibits any individual from exercising that right.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    Hedgethorn wrote: »

I can't speak for the other parties to the suit, but Notre Dame's problem is that, much like a number of very large companies, they're self-insured. There isn't an insurance company to be dealt with. For ND employees to have contraception available on our insurance plans would require Notre Dame themselves to offer contraception, because they are our insurer.

Even in that its still dumb, because its the employer deciding what perfectly legal medical practices they cover vs what they do not and thats bullshit. Because health insurance is a monetary benefit to an employee and your boss should not get to decide what you spend your money on.

Much the same way JW's wouldn't get to outlaw blood transfusions, or a jewish employer couldn't say you can't buy pork with your salary.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    This is like how not restricting whether states can vote on whether they are slaves states is abrogating states rights.

I realize, obviously that slavery and birth control are totally separate issues, but this justification just seems to be so similar to me. It's basically looking at the world and saying "It's all about MEMEMEMEMEME!"

Fencingsax on
  • Options

Just like any other college in the US who is self-insured would.

• Options
    What's really dumb about this, is I swear over half the states in the US already required this. AND 8 of them didn't even provide an exemption for churches. So really this is the catholic church trying to make politics out of something they didn't care about until Obama came out in support of it. Which should get their tax exempt status pulled, they are playing politics.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Even in that its still dumb, because its the employer deciding what perfectly legal medical practices they cover vs what they do not and thats bullshit. Because health insurance is a monetary benefit to an employee and your boss should not get to decide what you spend your money on.

Much the same way JW's wouldn't get to outlaw blood transfusions, or a jewish employer couldn't say you can't buy pork with your salary.

But obviously, telling companies they can't pull that shit on a federal level is a thorny issue in the US.

By thorny, I mean all you have to do to win someone over to the corporate side is mention "Free Enterprise".

Because obviously, if companies had such horrible, atrocious work conditions nobody would work there and they'd go bankrupt.

Free market.

This discussion has been closed.