As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] - The Prettiest Snowflake Never Melts in Hell (Inferno, on the other hand...)

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    If no one else is willing to do my homework for me while I'm behind the Iron Curtain, that's fine, but would someone who's feeling charitable be able to copy-paste into a spoiler a guide or steps or whatever for accessing the secret level? Thanks and apologies in advance!

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    So a questions for the Wizards in the thread, what do you guys use for your signature spell? I feel like lightning does more damage to mobs (since it can jump up to 6 times with chain lightning) but I wanted to know what everyone else was using.

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    I've been increasingly frustrated on my monk, I'm in Hell Act II, and it isn't going great for me. I'm rocking a 1h and shield, but I still feel really squishy. Maybe I just suck I dunno.

Stats:
    55% Damage reduction (level 56)
    30-41% Dodge
    25K HP
    7700 DPS

There are certain times when I'm rolling and all is well, but there a certain mobs that just destroy me and I have no idea what to change. I have mostly defensive. here is my build

I dunno maybe it was just some of the packs I was running into (immune minions, vortex, arcane can go somewhere) it just is rough right now. I don't want to even think about inferno.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    It's funny how Mortar was ostensibly designed to make ranged sweat since melee struggle more with most affixes (and this is how Jay Wilson described it), but then it turns out in practice that Mortar easily fucks melee too.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I love how people seem to think that, just because I'm a Tank Monk, monsters will attack me just based on principle. Demon Hunters and Wizards run up into melee with me all the time. All the time, and get absolutely worked. I mean, when I used to run with Cyclone Strike, I was able to pull all the attention on to me, but it's not exactly a taunt. Enemies are under no specific obligation to attack me. Most of the time, they just try to get around me so they can get at the ranged DPS. Most of my proficiency as a tank comes from just like, physically blocking enemies at chokepoints while my casters tear them apart.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    It's funny how Mortar was ostensibly designed to make ranged sweat since melee struggle more with most affixes (and this is how Jay Wilson described it), but then it turns out in practice that Mortar easily fucks melee too.

Mortar is a giant pain in the ass for everyone. Those mortar rounds come in quick

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Hell was the first time on my Monk I had trouble with some packs. Your stats seem alright, maybe your resists are low? The build I would switch out evasion for healing and breath of heaven for sweeping strikes+bladestorm. Switch out searing light for self-reflection or faith in the light.
    RedDawn wrote: »
    I've been increasingly frustrated on my monk, I'm in Hell Act II, and it isn't going great for me. I'm rocking a 1h and shield, but I still feel really squishy. Maybe I just suck I dunno.

Stats:
    55% Damage reduction (level 56)
    30-41% Dodge
    25K HP
    7700 DPS

There are certain times when I'm rolling and all is well, but there a certain mobs that just destroy me and I have no idea what to change. I have mostly defensive. here is my build

I dunno maybe it was just some of the packs I was running into (immune minions, vortex, arcane can go somewhere) it just is rough right now. I don't want to even think about inferno.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Grab some Boneweave Hauberks, milk ducks!

That bug is too funny. I never noticed it, of course, but as soon as my attention was called to it? Last night my friend and I played for a few hours and wound up with six hauberks of varying quality. Never did do much with them other than mess with some white mobs.

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Ethea wrote: »
    I started playing with a new Monk build in Inferno yesterday. Solid. Solid solid solid. It only got a 3-page thread on the official forums, but man alive, it's a fun alternative to how I had been playing.

All throughout normal, NM, & hell, I'd been playing an attack-speed and dodge-based build. It served me well, I was tanking for my WD buddy, and everything was working until Inferno. I had thought initially my problem had been gear, but the real issue just comes down to the advantages ranged have over melee classes.

The build basically eliminates that advantage by using Spinning Tiger Kick with the Hand of Ytar rune. You focus on maxing spirit regen from items, skills, and passives, and ultimately you just run around popping everything with an ability that feels very much like Fist of the Heavens from Diablo II. It's incredibly satisfying, going from a tanky-character, to going to a build that can 1-shot trash and lock down both chasers and runners. The build has a small (very small) amount of trouble with Mortar mobs, but otherwise doesn't really stop for anything.

Can you link the build?

@Ethea

I don't know if this is his exact build, but I imagine it's something like this.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bZgYiQ!YcX!ZcaaZZ

A "ranged" Monk build.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Do DoT ticks proc life on hit? My guess is no, but, who knows.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I love how people seem to think that, just because I'm a Tank Monk, monsters will attack me just based on principle. Demon Hunters and Wizards run up into melee with me all the time. All the time, and get absolutely worked. I mean, when I used to run with Cyclone Strike, I was able to pull all the attention on to me, but it's not exactly a taunt. Enemies are under no specific obligation to attack me. Most of the time, they just try to get around me so they can get at the ranged DPS. Most of my proficiency as a tank comes from just like, physically blocking enemies at chokepoints while my casters tear them apart.

WoW people.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    If no one else is willing to do my homework for me while I'm behind the Iron Curtain, that's fine, but would someone who's feeling charitable be able to copy-paste into a spoiler a guide or steps or whatever for accessing the secret level? Thanks and apologies in advance!

Very rough guide, recommend looking it up later for more details:
    You need the following items:

1.) Recipe for the Staff of Herding - drops off that fallen angel boss in Act IV (forget his name)
    2.) Black Mushroom - Found rarely in Act 1, possibly just Cathedral level 1? That's where I keep finding it
    3.) Leoric's Shinbone - found rarely in the fireplace of Leroic's Manor (Act 1)
    4.) Wirt's Cowbell - buy for 100,000g from the little girl vendor (Squirt I think?) in Act 2
    5.) Rainbow Elixir - Found super rarely in Act 2 Oasis area. There is a rare event that spawns in the area where you kill some ghosts and an Alchemist vendor comes out and opens up a mini-dungeon for you. It's in a chest in this dungeon (though I've heard not always). Supposidely there are two places for this event to spawn, but I know one is directly from the Entrance Waygate, hug the bottom wall and there is a little area with houses and a waterfall - it's in there. I just keep restarting until I saw the ghosts there.
    6.) Gibbering Gemstone - Act 3 in the Cavern of Frost, a unique monster called Chillera (or something) can spawn that drops it. This is the suckiest one to farm since the cave has about 5 different spawn points itself, then you need to run it to see if the unique is up which it usually isn't.

Use these ingredients + 50,000g to make the Staff of Herding. Go to Act 1 just before Old Tristram where the opening with the red glow is in the ground. There is a cow skeleton there. When you get close to it, it will turn into the ghost of the Cow King and he will open the area up.

For Nightmare/etc, you need to upgrade the staff by buying a recipe from the innkeeper vendor in Bastion Hold, Act IV for 1g. Then it's like 200,000g (Nightmare) / 500,000g (Hell) to upgrade the staff. Don't know about Inferno.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Basically I have no sympathy for anyone who tries to play any difficulty past Normal. It's hard? Yes, that is the point.

Personally, I doubt I'm ever going get a character past Nightmare Act 1, not because it is too hard, but that I just don't care to. That might change when I beat it with each of the classes, but I suspect at that point I'll just quit.

But even if Nightmare Act 1 had handed my ass back to me on a silver platter, I wouldn't complain, because, yeh, it's called "Nightmare" not "Sleepy Sunday Afternoon drinking Ice Tea on your front porch".

So you're cool with not leveling your characters to the max level?

I mean, I totally dig your argument for inferno, that's for people who hate themselves.

But saying that the game ends at level 32 is a bit spacious. If that were the case, why do you still unlock stuff on your character afterwards?

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Black mushroom - rare ground loot spawn in Cathedral Lv 1
    Leoric's shinbone - rare ground loot spawn in the fireplace in Leoric's manor
    Liquid rainbow - rare NPC spawn in the Oasis in Act 2, opens a dungeon with a rare Mysterious chest spawn
    Gibbering grimstone - occasional drop from a rare monster spawn in the Caverns of Frost in Act 3
    Wirt's bell - purchase for 100k from the girl in the bazaar in Act 2
    crafting pattern - occasional drop from Izual in Act 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77IRTEz1DTQ&list=UUNIc2yNPLkxnViMYWVEhBHw&index=10&feature=plcp

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    sumwar wrote: »
    My camera screws up randomly, makes me zoom in. Not Z button, anyone know whats going on?

There's an option to zoom in while looking at your inventory. make sure it's not checked.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    So a questions for the Wizards in the thread, what do you guys use for your signature spell? I feel like lightning does more damage to mobs (since it can jump up to 6 times with chain lightning) but I wanted to know what everyone else was using.

I used electrocute pretty much from when I got it to act 4 normal, then from act 4 normal to where I am now (Hell Act 2) I've been using disintegrate with no signature spell. For some bosses I've switched it out to the higher damage magic missile star pact meteor, that's how I did Rakanoth & Diablo in NM and butcher on hell. Butcher on hell was REALLY rough for me though, I don't know if my gear was just way off but I had about 16k hp and his charge would one shot me (which isn't really a problem since you shouldn't get hit with it) but the grappling hook combo did ~90% of my health and the chains would do over half.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular

There are two secret levels.
    Whimsyshire:
    You have to collect 5 items and the blacksmith plans to use them. The items are:

Black Mushroom: Randomly spawns in the first floor of the Cathedral in Act 1.
    Leoric's Shinbone: Randomly spawns in the fireplace in Leoric's Manor in Act 1.
    Wirt's Cowbell: Bought for 100,000g from the little girl in Act 2.
    Forgot the name: Have to rescue a rare merchant in the Act 2 Oasis and he'll open the Mysterious Cave which has a rare chance of spawning the Mysterious Chest which holds the item.
    Forgot the name: In Act 3 where you have to go and destroy Azmodan's catapults, there is a randomly spawning dungeon called the Caves of Frost (or something along those lines). Inside there is a rare boss huntress named something similar to Cheetara who will drop the item.

Then you have to get the plans which are a rare drop from Izual in Act 4. Teach the blacksmith the plans, then spend 50,000g to combine the five items into the Staff of Herding. Go to Act 1 and go to the cow skeleton at the glowing red hole just north of Old Tristram. The ghost of the Cow King will appear and talk to you and then open the secret level.

Development Hell:
    In Nightmare and above, in that cemetery where you have to search one of 3 crypts for the Skeleton King's Crown in Act 1, there will very rarely be a fourth crypt that you can enter where all the zombies are named for the developers and the final boss is Jay Wilson who gives you a feat of strength and banner options for killing him.

On another note, I missed the brief lore discussion from the end of the last thread. Act 1 Spoilers!
    The Butcher really should not have been the boss of Act 1. It either should have been Magda or the Skeleton King since they were the ones that got all the plot focus. Especially since they retcon'd the Butcher from being a unique individual into being an entire race of demons (I guess this also retcon'd out the old "former angel who served Inarius and got horribly tortured and mutilated as punishment" origin).

Also (Ending Spoilers!):
    Tyrael should never have become the aspect of Wisdom. If any mortal from this game was up for that position, it should have been Cain, but they went and killed him off in Act 1 for no real reason.

• Options
    Ethea wrote: »
    I started playing with a new Monk build in Inferno yesterday. Solid. Solid solid solid. It only got a 3-page thread on the official forums, but man alive, it's a fun alternative to how I had been playing.

All throughout normal, NM, & hell, I'd been playing an attack-speed and dodge-based build. It served me well, I was tanking for my WD buddy, and everything was working until Inferno. I had thought initially my problem had been gear, but the real issue just comes down to the advantages ranged have over melee classes.

The build basically eliminates that advantage by using Spinning Tiger Kick with the Hand of Ytar rune. You focus on maxing spirit regen from items, skills, and passives, and ultimately you just run around popping everything with an ability that feels very much like Fist of the Heavens from Diablo II. It's incredibly satisfying, going from a tanky-character, to going to a build that can 1-shot trash and lock down both chasers and runners. The build has a small (very small) amount of trouble with Mortar mobs, but otherwise doesn't really stop for anything.

Can you link the build?

I looked for a 3 page thread, found this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149541780

• Options
    AhiMahiAhiMahi Registered User regular
    I have an Internet friend who is 51 barb and plays Amish mode(refused to buy gears from AH for sake of "true" game D3 game play). I and others have carried him to Hell level but in Hell he gets 2 shot every time we fight group of normal mobs.

Other people we play with told him to gear up from AH since he has no luck with drops and he is gimping our group. He refused our request so we don't play D3 with him any more. My group of 3 went through Hell whole lot faster without him.

I suspect that he will grind many, many painful hours by himself and/or with pub groups.

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

For +life on hit, no. For +life on %dmg dealt? Maybe?

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Two things.

I know people have said it before, but crafting needs a bit of a change at higher levels. You have to destroy a source of income (items), have tomes/pages/etc and still pay a ridiculous amount of gold for a chance at an item to be good for you or worthy of selling on the AH. As it stands now crafting is just a gold sink, no reason not to just buy what other people have found or gotten lucky crafting on the AH. I wish they'd raise the cost of leveling it and lower, if not completely get rid of, the cost to make things.

Act 2 end boss is really easy to cheese if you have multiple people. Have 1 person standing in front of him moving around dodging attacks. Other people stand behind him as much as possible, so near the ends of the platform where the little stairs are. Done this multiple times, even works with a follower as long as they are alive. As far as I can tell he will not hit you if you're back there aside from the poison pools and the occasional breath attack if the person in front happens to be too close to your side when he starts it. I know, he's already an easy boss, but if people are struggling with him it does work from my experience.

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    Yay. My Demon Hunter friend doesn't want to play multi-player anymore because he can kite easier by himself in Act 2, and doesn't die as often. Where-as I die a lot less in multi-player games and can actually progress.

Wow. You need new friends. What a dick.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »

For +life on hit, no. For +life on %dmg dealt? Maybe?

For +% damage dealt, it worked on the only skill I could test. I would imagine that the design would be symmetrical across classes.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    "Cannot get your payment info" on the AH. Sweet!

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Haha, I just had this drop from a weapon rack.

d3tormentor.png

It's 2,000 lower DPS than my current blue 1h weapon!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Yay. My Demon Hunter friend doesn't want to play multi-player anymore because he can kite easier by himself in Act 2, and doesn't die as often. Where-as I die a lot less in multi-player games and can actually progress.

Seriously. I roll with a wizard on my DH pretty much all the time. It's a lot more fun and we both kite. Works especially well if you can split up packs of enemies and kite different ways. Also great if you run into a tough pack right at the start of a dungeon or something, one player holds them in a small area while the other moves forward and clears room for more kiting so you aren't getting overwhelmed.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    For a second I read the crit damage as crit chance. That would be worth that low damage number... Maybe.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Chen wrote: »

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/2833/d3tormentor.png

This staff was made with only one goal in mind: to cause great pain to the one who finds it

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Lars wrote: »
    There are two secret levels.
    Whimsyshire:
    You have to collect 5 items and the blacksmith plans to use them. The items are:

Black Mushroom: Randomly spawns in the first floor of the Cathedral in Act 1.
    Leoric's Shinbone: Randomly spawns in the fireplace in Leoric's Manor in Act 1.
    Wirt's Cowbell: Bought for 100,000g from the little girl in Act 2.
    Forgot the name: Have to rescue a rare merchant in the Act 2 Oasis and he'll open the Mysterious Cave which has a rare chance of spawning the Mysterious Chest which holds the item.
    Forgot the name: In Act 3 where you have to go and destroy Azmodan's catapults, there is a randomly spawning dungeon called the Caves of Frost (or something along those lines). Inside there is a rare boss huntress named something similar to Cheetara who will drop the item.

Then you have to get the plans which are a rare drop from Izual in Act 4. Teach the blacksmith the plans, then spend 50,000g to combine the five items into the Staff of Herding. Go to Act 1 and go to the cow skeleton at the glowing red hole just north of Old Tristram. The ghost of the Cow King will appear and talk to you and then open the secret level.

Development Hell:
    In Nightmare and above, in that cemetery where you have to search one of 3 crypts for the Skeleton King's Crown in Act 1, there will very rarely be a fourth crypt that you can enter where all the zombies are named for the developers and the final boss is Jay Wilson who gives you a feat of strength and banner options for killing him.
    If you're counting
    Development Hell
    as a secret level, then there's also the
    Quality Well in Old Tristram on Nightmare or higher.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    CarbonFire wrote: »

http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/2833/d3tormentor.png

This staff was made with only one goal in mind: to cause great torment to the one who finds it

Fixed

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    For a second I read the crit damage as crit chance. That would be worth that low damage number... Maybe.

A 58% chance to crit? Hell YES it would be worth it. But I believe it would take that into account in the DPS number, so nope.

• Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular

d3tormentor.png

2000? Your 1h has 2400 dps?

• Options
    Topia wrote: »

<snip>

2000? Your 1h has 2400 dps?
    I'm fairly certain he means his DPS after adjusted by skill and attributes.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    I posted this late last night at the end of the last thread, figured I'd drop it here for anyone interested. I found myself a nice 1040dps bow last night doing this, so I assure you, it works :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIdkMSj68cs

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular

Mortar is a giant pain in the ass for everyone. Those mortar rounds come in quick

I'm rolling through Hell Act 1 on my Wizard, and aside from obvious lag deaths the only thing that's killed me was a pack of Illusion Jailer Mortar champs. Seems like illusions do full damage, even though they're not real. I got jailed and instantly exploded before I could pop Diamond Skin/Pot/Archon.

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

I can totally see his friend's perspective though. The point of Diablo is efficiency in killing mobs so you can find more items. It's less efficient for him to play with a Barbarian because it's both faster and safer for him to play by himself. With the way Inferno is tuned at this time, I could see partying for him being more frustrating than playing solo, if his entire strategy is to simply kill mobs at the absolutely fastest rate.

@buddies I'll play with you any time you want. Two intrepid melee heroes, throwing themselves into hordes of demons with no hope of survival, Brokeback Mountain style.

• Options
    I used Piercing Orb (hits multiples, wide area, great damage) and Lightning Blast (hits multiples in a straight line, fast casting rate). At some points, I wasn't using a Signature Spell, and instead went with Astral Presence passive or Arcanot, and Cold Blood as my main attack (Ray of Frost with 12 Arcane Power cost means practically infinite Ray of Frost).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Yeah thanks to a little lag I was insta-gibbed coming out of a waygate by a mortar rare that happened to spawn near it. Thing killed me in about 2 seconds before I could even react :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    mastman wrote: »
    so many people are full of themselves. 1 million for some shoulders with 70 dex and 70 vit. just annoying. unless some crazy balls amount of gold drops in inferno, I'm only in hell atm.

though, I am rocking the shit out of hell with lvl 55 DH with 7k dmg and 20k health

I still say auctions need to have a 1% of minimum bid list fee. You can put up a 10 DPS sword for 100 million, but it'll cost you 1 million to do so. It'd stop people from DDOSing the AH with overpriced bullshit.

This discussion has been closed.