Options

Video Game Industry Thread: May is done, go to the next one

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Good lord, I could have distilled that commercial down to about 15 seconds. "Guy stuck on zombie boss, goes to PC and checks GameFaqs, wins"

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm watching this WiiU thing without sound and it's still annoying the hell out of me.

Also, I maintain that the WiiU tablet controller is too big and looks uncomfortable.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yeah, I couldn't manage more then about 20 seconds of that crap. Awful.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »
    Good lord, I could have distilled that commercial down to about 15 seconds. "Guy stuck on zombie boss, goes to PC and checks GameFaqs, wins"

It's the best worst ad ever. I thought it was great.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    The Miiverse stuff should have just been animal crossing multiplayer with your friends built into the console OS.

Although that they are even attempting more online focused stuff should be commended I guess, skin peelingly bad advertising aside.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.viddler.com/v/7d40ebdc?secret=78568394
    So I guess this is going to be their theme or something? I guess it is at least up to date with internet shit.

Ho-lee shit it's like looking through a time window to video game commercials circa 1989.

Donnicton on
  • Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    So I guess this is going to be their theme or something? I guess it is at least up to date with internet shit.

I liked the way the action figures expression kept changing - as for the rest, it was just painful.

Also, that pad looks fucking huge, I really doubt people are going to be standing up to play games, waving it about while they play a FPS...

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Nintendo seems to think this is going to be really important for the WiiU. They will probably integrate it into most of their games. The new SMB game will have it.
    http://i.imgur.com/Kei2q.jpg
    There are so many ways this can end badly for Nintendo. Cash4WoWGOLD.com!

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    If they really wanted to make it an accurate portrayal of social-based gaming the video feed of "OctoG" would have been of a naked overweight middle aged man stroking himself.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I was expecting OctoG to be Octomom with her hat flipped backwards.

• Options
    M-Vickers wrote: »

I liked the way the action figures expression kept changing - as for the rest, it was just painful.

Also, that pad looks fucking huge, I really doubt people are going to be standing up to play games, waving it about while they play a FPS...

The last time I saw something this out there(outside of the 80s) was what Nintendo did for Starfox 64. However, the Starfox 64's promo made no effort in disguising that cheeseball was what it was going for. This is just...

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Things I hope Nintendo has:
    Penis detection technology
    Word detection technology for shutting down pedophiles.
    Really good PR for the first time this is used for certain purposes.

• Options
    I was expecting OctoG to be Octomom with her hat flipped backwards.

OctoG(enarian)

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Things I hope Nintendo has:
    Penis detection technology
    Word detection technology for shutting down pedophiles.
    Really good PR for the first time this is used for certain purposes.
    Friend codes.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    That promo was terrible. Cool features, but a godawful execution.

I refuse to believe that Nintendo has joined the rest of the 21st century by embracing the internet though. There has to be some kind of catch.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I liked that it was a zombie game. Nintendo truly understands this industry.

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012

I refuse to believe that Nintendo has joined the rest of the 21st century by embracing the internet though. There has to be some kind of catch.
    The Wii U actually comes with a set of 5 "friend forms", paper forms with forgery protection features and keyed to your console, you hand them out to people you wish to friend and then they fill them out, take them to a police station and get them signed by an on-duty police officer, after that you send the form off to nintendo HQ and within 6 to eight weeks (assuming Nintendo approves your friend) they get added to your friends list!

You can order more friend forms simply by visiting nintendo HQ with your proof of sale, unique 28 digit Wii U identification number and 3 forms of Valid ID.

-SPI- on
  • Options

It's probably balanced out by an exceptionally godawful UI that somehow manages to upstage even the eShop in counter-intuitiveness.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    -SPI- wrote: »
    The Miiverse stuff should have just been animal crossing multiplayer with your friends built into the console OS.

Although that they are even attempting more online focused stuff should be commended I guess, skin peelingly bad advertising aside.

But then they'd be giving Animal Crossing away for free instead of selling you the same game for a fifth or sixth time.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I can't speak for the redesigned controller, but during the short time I had with the prototype Wii U tablet it was surprisingly comfortable.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I can't speak for the redesigned controller, but during the short time I had with the prototype Wii U tablet it was surprisingly comfortable.

yeah one of the reassuring things is that nearly everybody who held it liked it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I would imagine a console version would simply require you to have a Battle.net account and have you log into that every time to play.

So in a way, I would think that would be more safer. There's no point trying to hack a PSN or Live account. And theoretically a console is immune to most malware and keylogger attacks.

Still though, almost anything could happen, I suppose.

The safest option is to remove the DRM altogether. That would severely impact Blizzard's p2w/RMAH plan though.

Diablo and Diablo 2 had a perfectly functional system for online security with their open/closed Battle.net setup.

Actually, Diablo had pretty much no security and was plagued with modified characters, which prompted the open/closed battle.net setup in Diablo 2.

• Options
    So...some German retailer briefly listed Diablo 3 PS3 only. Let's say it's true (often Retailers do get listings early) and tonight at E3 Sony announces they are the exclusive console for D3 - huge deal or not?

• Options
    So...some German retailer briefly listed Diablo 3 PS3 only. Let's say it's true (often Retailers do get listings early) and tonight at E3 Sony announces they are the exclusive console for D3 - huge deal or not?

If they can somehow get it out this year, yeah.

If not... it'll probably still do well, it just might not be a gigantic blockbuster.

• Options
    Not.

Maybe if Valve hadn't already ported Steam it would be, since the only reason I can imagine it being exclusive is because Sony will allow Blizzard to host Blizzard.Net on the PS3 in some form.

I don't think it will sell gangbusters.

It's a PC RPG on a dying system.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Sheep wrote: »
    Maybe if Valve hadn't already ported Steam it would be, since the only reason I can imagine it being exclusive is because Sony will allow Blizzard to host Blizzard.Net on the PS3 in some form.

Bingo.

Oh, speaking of Sony, they quietly unveiled one of the "iconic third-party characters" for Sony Smash Bros. -- Big Daddy from Bioshock.

Er, okay? As someone else pointed out, The original Bioshock came out a year late on the PS3 and didn't sell well, and the PS3 version of Bioshock 2 didn't do that well either.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular

I do love that there is a Neogaf thread going crazy over it being exclusive...

But anyway, I think all exclusives are a big deal in that they can make someone feel excluded. However, I don't see it raising PS3 sales as the majority of te Diablo fan base already have the game.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Oh, speaking of Sony, they quietly unveiled one of the "iconic third-party characters" for Sony Smash Bros. -- Big Daddy from Bioshock.

Er, okay? As someone else pointed out, The original Bioshock came out a year late on the PS3 and didn't sell well, and the PS3 version of Bioshock 2 didn't do that well either.

Just an example how much of a joke the game is, and how delusional Sony is in thinking that they've got an interesting roster of characters to use in a game like it.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

Just an example how much of a joke the game is, and how delusional Sony is in thinking that they've got an interesting roster of characters to use in a game lie it.

Well, Big Baddy is an iconic character. Sure, Bioshock isn't iconic to the Playstation brand, but I'd rather they focus more about what would the game better and less on technicalities.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Fem Shep for next iconic PS character!

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options

But anyway, I think all exclusives are a big deal in that they can make someone feel excluded. However, I don't see it raising PS3 sales as the majority of te Diablo fan base already have the game.

That was what I was wondering - if a console version would be huge news given most of Blizzard's properties and presumably their fanbase is PC based already. I think a Vita version would be major news though if that were to happen.

• Options
    AZChristopherAZChristopher Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

That was what I was wondering - if a console version would be huge news given most of Blizzard's properties and presumably their fanbase is PC based already. I think a Vita version would be major news though if that were to happen.

A Vita version would be more fun. That is one game I could see people wanting to play on the road. Would have to be 3G though and your game stops if you lose the signal.

AZChristopher on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular

Yeah, a Vita port of Diablo 3 would be huge. A PS3 or 360 port would no doubt sell a lot of copies, but a Vita port would be a potential system seller for a lot of people, I think.

• Options

It would probably be more tempting than the PC version if they go analog stick for movement. Though since Blizzard is Blizzard it will probably be touch screen, with RSCXT being for left click and 1-4, and the L button being for shift-shooting(tapping/holding the screen will be the equivalent of right-click).

• Options
    Actually, Diablo had pretty much no security and was plagued with modified characters, which prompted the open/closed battle.net setup in Diablo 2.

You're right. I forgot about all of the people running around with rings of the zodiac and godly plate of the whale.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular

Just an example how much of a joke the game is, and how delusional Sony is in thinking that they've got an interesting roster of characters to use in a game like it.

And Nintendo did? Original Smash had so many copy pasted move sets and it still sold like crazy because it was fun. I think Sony will be fine.

• Options
    The only downside I'm seeing to Sony Smash Brothers is that it means I probably won't see a sequel to DreamMix TV World Fighters.

I want to fight Solid Snake, Bomberman, and Simon Belmont as Optimus Prime again.

• Options
    Blendtec wrote: »

And Nintendo did? Original Smash had so many copy pasted move sets and it still sold like crazy because it was fun. I think Sony will be fine.

He's talking about rosters of characters, not move sets.

Sony's roster is diminutive because no one knows who the hell Sly, Radec, or Fat Princess is. Everyone knows who Mario is.

• Options
    Sheep wrote: »
    Sony's roster is diminutive because no one knows who the hell Sly, Radec, or Fat Princess is. Everyone knows who Mario is.

If you're a Sony fan you'd know who those characters are.

Which is the audience they are aiming for.

• Options
    I own a PS3 and I have no idea who Radec is, and was only dimly aware of Fat Princess.