Options

Video Game Industry Thread: May is done, go to the next one

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    I own a PS3 and I have no idea who Radec is, and was only dimly aware of Fat Princess.

I would assume that your average PlayStation diehard would know characters from Sony's premiere FPS franchise and one of the best selling PSN games.

And if they don't?

Well, than the game can be "Nathan Drake beats the crap out of characters from games I am unfamiliar with".

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2012
    Also Smash Bro was chock full of cartoonish characters.

Sony Smash Bro seems to have more Real Life style characters, which is kinda stupid given the setting. Even in Smash Brothers with Snake, Snake himself had ridiculous abilities that were true to the MGS games. What is a bald mass murdering womanizing guy like Kratos doing a cartoony fighting game?

Sheep on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Just because the characters aren't pop culture icons doesn't mean it's a bad roster.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Even move sets aside, Sony has more interesting characters imo. A thinner Mario with green clothes and a princess with a color swap aren't exactly super original.

• Options
    Sheep wrote: »

Sony Smash Bro seems to have more Real Life style characters, which is kinda stupid given the setting. Even in Smash Brothers with Snake, Snake himself had ridiculous abilities that were true to the MGS games. What is a bald mass murdering womanizing guy like Kratos doing a cartoony fighting game?

Well, so far we've got a chibi obese princess, a clown with flames for hair, a walking raccoon, a giant in a diving suit with a drill for an arm, a two dimensional rapping dog, and I'm pretty sure we'll see a long eared green haired Jak and/or Daxter, the tiny orange creature.

So far the only "real life style" characters are a super-jacked meathead with flaming chains on his arms and younger Indiana Jones.

• Options

Well, so far we've got a chibi obese princess, a clown with flames for hair, a walking raccoon, a giant in a diving suit with a drill for an arm, a two dimensional rapping dog, and I'm pretty sure we'll see a long eared green haired Jak and/or Daxter, the tiny orange creature.

So far the only "real life style" characters are a super-jacked meathead with flaming chains on his arms and younger Indiana Jones.

Okay, you have a point.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I own a PS3 and I have no idea who Radec is, and was only dimly aware of Fat Princess.

I would assume that your average PlayStation diehard would know characters from Sony's premiere FPS franchise and one of the best selling PSN games.

And if they don't?

Well, than the game can be "Nathan Drake beats the crap out of characters from games I am unfamiliar with".

I didn't know Radec either, but I recognized him from a picture so that's probably fine. If someone sees a commercial for it and can say "Hey it's smash bros with that Uncharted guy and Kratos and stuff" it's probably good enough to get them to consider the game.

To be fair, Smash Bros has a fair amount of non-household names in it...Ice Climbers, Roy, Marth, FZero guy, even some of the minor Kirby characters would be hard for some gamers to name. I think Big Daddy is kind of a neat one to include actually, you need a few big, heavy characters to round out a roster.

• Options
    CyrondinCyrondin I bring the sick beats on you, brother Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    The fudge? F-zero guy? Caption falcon is the best character in smash and had one of the first meme in gaming.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I'm sure we'll see Sackboy, but I wonder if they'll be able to pull characters that while they used to be synonymous with the PlayStation brand, aren't so much anymore? I mean characters like Crash Bandicoot or Lara Croft.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

He's talking about tone.

Mario, Luigi, Zelda and essentially the majority of the Smash Bros roster come from the same kind of games. Not mechanically, but tonally. That's why Smash Bros feels like a cohesive mash up. It's entirely appropriate for Ness to inhabit the same world as, say, the Pokemon or Kirby. A saccharine, cutesy, family-friendly environment with illustrative art and the same general feel.

It's different having Kratos fight Daxter. Or a Big Daddy punching Sly Cooper. They come from entirely different worlds, and from games with entirely different demographics. God of War is as juvenile a game as you can get, with gratuitous everything, from gore to swearing to nudity. Meanwhile Fat Princess is juvenile in the other sense, that it is literally a game that children can play and often do. Same with a lot of the rest of the cast, like Parappa the Rapper. He comes from a game literally for children, with a 3+ rating. Do you see the tonal shift there? Parappa the Rapper sings to children. Kratos pulls people's heads off with his bare hands and carries them around in a bag.

None of the original Smash Brothers roster, absolutely none, appeared in an M rated game. Only Solid Snake in Brawl is from such a game and even then, his portrayal in the game was essentially a caricature of the real character, rather than a direct copy.

Who is the demographic of Sony All Stars? That's the question. Because the characters featured appear in games that cover the entire spectrum of game content.

• Options
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Who is the demographic of Sony All Stars? That's the question. Because the characters featured appear in games that cover the entire spectrum of game content.

I'd think this would make the game more approachable, since odds are no matter what age you are at there will probably be a few characters that you like.

Tonally we're talking about a mascot fighting game. Having characters that have no place being in the same universe together trading blows is the major draw.

• Options

I'd think this would make the game more approachable, since odds are no matter what age you are at there will probably be a few characters that you like.

Tonally we're talking about a mascot fighting game. Having characters that have no place being in the same universe together trading blows is the major draw.

It works for Marvel vs Capcom. I never associate Megaman (RIP) with Resident Evil or the Fantastic Four but it ends up being great.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Who is the demographic of Sony All Stars?

I'm going to go with "Video Game Enthusiasts"

Seriously, the game looks fun. I mean, its a silly mascot fighter where you can have:

Drake vs Big Daddy vs Helghast vs Parappa

Unless they severely bork the gameplay, there's no way this wont be fun. Its just cooler to be an internet cynic, and poop all over everything.

Which I admit, I'm guilty of doing on occasion.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    FYI, Microsoft's about to start up their conference. Someone noted they see six Kinects on stage.

...yep, not for us.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    FYI, Microsoft's about to start up their conference. Someone noted they see six Kinects on stage.

...yep, not for us.

In Microsoft's defense the Kinect is kinda fun. Plus there's no danger of sending a remote through your TV cause you're flailing around. Wouldn't mind some info on actual games and maybe the new Xbox though.

• Options
    edited June 2012

...yep, not for us.

Showin some Halo 4 footage now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYvQu00t75w&newstate=0d85a4647b2f891dc2fb1c60452a2d8f

Sheep on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Oh, speaking of Sony, they quietly unveiled one of the "iconic third-party characters" for Sony Smash Bros. -- Big Daddy from Bioshock.

Er, okay? As someone else pointed out, The original Bioshock came out a year late on the PS3 and didn't sell well, and the PS3 version of Bioshock 2 didn't do that well either.

Just an example how much of a joke the game is, and how delusional Sony is in thinking that they've got an interesting roster of characters to use in a game like it.

And Nintendo did? Original Smash had so many copy pasted move sets and it still sold like crazy because it was fun. I think Sony will be fine.
    No it didn't. Aside from Mario/Luigi all the characters in SSB64 were unique.

• Options
    Kinect is a disaster. The only real upside I see to it is non-gaming menu navigation, and whatever cool stuff the private sector does with it.

The problems I see are that Kinect isn't accurate enough for the first (maybe if it had gloves, like Minority Report did), and Microsoft charges $100 more for the industrial/scientific/non videogaming license for Kinect using the excuse that doctors and scientists should pay more for the hardware because they don't subsidize the cost by purchasing games.

They have such a hard on for cramming as much "media center" functionality into the box as they can that I think sometimes they forget that it's a videogame console.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I forgot how much I hated listening to these people.

They are expanding shit to mobile phones and PC.

• Options
    Hm, Halo 4 and now Splinter Cell. Guess they aren't going to be all about non-game stuff.

• Options
    Do consumers actually care about these Kinect enhancements for regular games?

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Hm, Halo 4 and now Splinter Cell. Guess they aren't going to be all about non-game stuff.

Nah, just sequels.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »
    Do consumers actually care about these Kinect enhancements for regular games?

It would be interesting to get a study of, say, how many people actually used the Kinect stuff in Mass Effect 3.

• Options
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    Why is that ea dude wearing so much makeup?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FIFA stuff.

"Don't forget to listen for the Kinect voice commands!"

Looks like the future of Kinect is voice stuff.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Every year I wonder why they even bother announcing sports games at E3, we all know they're gonna happen, just send out a press release rather than taking time on stage.

Edit - Wow does this guy playing Madden look awkward as all get out. Poor Joe.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/04/max-and-the-magic-marker-dev-acquired-by-microsoft/
    Microsoft has just acquired Press Play, developer of the multiplatformer Max & the Magic Marker. MS's Phil Spencer revealed the news during a pre-E3 discussion on Spike (which you can actually watch on Joystiq!) calling the developer the latest addition to Microsoft Studios.

• Options
    So are they just using this for the more hardcore crowd or are they pretty much doing little for the Kinect outside of Better With Kinect?

• Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Face it, Microsofts promotion is all going to be:

Kinect
    Kinect
    Kinect
    Do you like Kinect yet?
    He'ers more big name titles that you can use Kinect with!
    Did we mention Kinect?!

• Options
    Cade wrote: »
    Face it, Microsofts promotion is all going to be:

Kinect
    Kinect
    Kinect
    Do you like Kinect yet?
    He'ers more big name titles that you can use Kinect with!
    Did we mention Kinect?!
    Dubstep

Fixed, for what we've seen so far.

Now we're Bingin' shit.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Isn't there supposed to be another Dashboard update soon as well? Have they mentioned anything about that?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Seriously, there has been on Kinect exclusive game shown so far. Are they pretty much ditching the idea of it being a new gaming platform and going with more the enhancements stuff?

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Never mind that, there's only been one Kinect game that actually uses its motion controls.

...oh wait, they're apparently re-inventing Wii Fit.

Dude from Nike is out. YES THIS IS HAPPENING

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Never mind that, there's only been one Kinect game that actually uses its motion controls.

But we already have Kinect fitness games. They are a bit late to that market.

• Options
    I'm amazed they haven't busted out a celebrity yet to show how much they love that darn fangled kinect device!

• Options
    Couscous wrote: »

But we already have Kinect fitness games. They are a bit late to that market.

But it's Nike, therefore it's awesome for some reason. You can earn whatever the fuck Nike Fuel is!

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Xbox Smartglass, send over what you're watching on your Tablet or your smartphone to your xbox, at the same time as it works as universal remote?

Sounds curiously familiar somehow.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    Also Halo seems to do the exact same thing Mass Effect did with the Datapad app.

Also there's now Internet Explorer... with Kinect! KINEEEEEEEEECT!!!

• Options
    You know Kinect has done one amazing thing.

I believe it's cured my insomnia because I'm getting pretty sleepy here.