Options

Video Game Industry Thread: May is done, go to the next one

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    zerg rush wrote: »
    Cade wrote: »
    Nintendo of Japan reveals some Wii specs including battery life for gamepad

Basically what those who can read Japanese are saying the gamepad takes 2.5 hours to charge and last for three to five hours based on the bightness of the screen. You can charge it while playing but isn't that kinda....bad?

Is there a 'play while plugged in' option? Because I don't think it'll matter if you can do that.

If there isn't, then that's terrible.

Yes, there is.

Okay but if you are moving the tablet around all the time while playing, like in the ZombiU trailer, then won't the cord interfere with the readings/come unplugged all the time?

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    Whatever happened to Sony and 3D games?

They finally figured out that no one cares about 3D games.

Probably paid couple of million to some consulting firm for that piece of information.

Actually, most people that try playing games in 3D tend to like it.

They just don't want to spend $1,000 on a new 3DTV to take advantage of 3D because they spent $1,000 on the perfectly functional HDTV they already own.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Basically what those who can read Japanese are saying the gamepad takes 2.5 hours to charge and last for three to five hours based on the bightness of the screen. You can charge it while playing but isn't that kinda....bad?

Is there a 'play while plugged in' option? Because I don't think it'll matter if you can do that.

Yes, there is.

Okay but if you are moving the tablet around all the time while playing, like in the ZombiU trailer, then won't the cord interfere with the readings/come unplugged all the time?

Not if it's a long enough cord.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Yes, there is.

Not if it's a long enough cord.

It depends on the kind of motions, how you have to hold the controller, and where the cord plugs in as much as the cord length.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

For a tablet under constant use? No?

What the hell tablet are you using? My iPad will get 7-10 hours of constant use.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

What the hell tablet are you using? My iPad will get 7-10 hours of constant use.

Not playing Infinity Blade it won't.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm honestly surprised they didn't announce a US release of Fire Emblem for the 3DS. Like that was all they had to do with the 3DS as far as I was concerned.

This was the only thing I wanted from Nintendo. I'm really worried it's going to get Xenoblade-d

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Considering the tablet controller isn't rendering the images, only displaying them, this isn't an apt comparison.

No I don't.
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

Yeah, the problem people are going to have to realize is that a stand alone tablet is larger, has all the electronics on board, and you can shut off wireless for longer battery time. Imagine streaming Netflix on the tablet. The WiiU is probably constantly sending whatever needs to be displayed to the tablet. On top of that, it needs to constantly accept touch and button input and transmit that back, as well as IR camera for pointer function. So it's both interactive and constantly showing a video stream. They probably cut the battery down a bit so the device wouldn't be awkwardly heavy or thick. Otherwise, people wouldn't want to lift it that much while playing.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I dunno. This isn't a handheld that you need to stay charged all day while you're out and about. A system that you're supposed to leave on, in your pocket, constantly (the 3DS) only having 3-5 hours of battery is idiotic, but for something where you're always going to be playing at home, it shouldn't really matter.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    A good comparison would be watching Netflix on your tablet. I can get about 4-5 hours with my ipod.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I dunno. This isn't a handheld that you need to stay charged all day while you're out and about. A system that you're supposed to leave on, in your pocket, constantly (the 3DS) only having 3-5 hours of battery is idiotic, but for something where you're always going to be playing at home, it shouldn't really matter.

It just feels like it'll be a pain. We use our various systems pretty often around our house, but we don't need to recharge or replace the batteries that often. With only 3-5 hours of battery life, you're going to need to recharge that thing all the time.

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice that EA is nonexistant on either of those Nintendo lists except for the port of Mass Effect 3 (which will almost be a year old by the time it releases)

That really doesn't bode well in my mind to see a major developer almost completely ignoring your system.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    3-4 hours for the controller seems fine to me,I'm sure they could of crammed a bigger battery in it, but increasing the cost and weight for something you can easily charge while using doesn't seem worth it to me.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Anyone else notice that EA is nonexistant on either of those Nintendo lists except for the port of Mass Effect 3 (which will almost be a year old by the time it releases)

That really doesn't bode well in my mind to see a major developer almost completely ignoring your system.
    I was more surprised to see the lack of Madden, which I was almost picturing to be the flagship Wii U title from EA considering their catalog of games.

Mass Effect 3 is interesting though. I haven't played ME3 yet despite owning 1+2. However, my saves and progress are all tied to my 360. One wonders, especially with the big ending debates from earlier this year, what this version could offer a person like me or even a newcomer.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options

Considering the tablet controller isn't rendering the images, only displaying them, this isn't an apt comparison.

When it's not streaming an image to the screen, there are other things being rendered on it.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

It just feels like it'll be a pain. We use our various systems pretty often around our house, but we don't need to recharge or replace the batteries that often. With only 3-5 hours of battery life, you're going to need to recharge that thing all the time.

No different than me charing my phone every night.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Well, the way things went with 3rd-party devs for the Wii probably doesn't help; even if the WiiU proves to be a solid system for 3rd-party devs, it'll take time to undo the damage from the Wii. It also definitely doesn't help that Nintendo seems adamant in pushing alternative control schemes that don't actually improve games. Between the 360, PS3, and PC, you can use one gamepad control scheme with relatively minor variations (KBAM is another matter, naturally).

Business-wise, I certainly wouldn't want to gear up for the WiiU until a) the system actually sells, b) you can tell if you can develop for the WiiU without having to incorporate stupid, useless control bullshit, and c) the system proves to actually be more 3rd-party friendly. I can certainly understand why EA hasn't really committed anything in the direction of the WiiU yet.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Probably paid couple of million to some consulting firm for that piece of information.

They just don't want to spend $1,000 on a new 3DTV to take advantage of 3D because they spent $1,000 on the perfectly functional HDTV they already own.

What's the selection bias on this?

3D movies have been out for a hell of alot longer. People who don't like that very likely won't even bother with 3D games.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

What's the selection bias on this?

3D movies have been out for a hell of alot longer. People who don't like that very likely won't even bother with 3D games.

Problem is, there haven't been any console games that have been really developed with 3D in mind. It's like comparing 3D Avatar to 3D... anything else.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    the football games would be easy for EA. playbooks on the tablet. there, control gimmick taken care of.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/05/metro-2033-sales-reach-1-5-million/
    It's no secret that THQ's Metro 2033 "wasn't properly nurtured," but the game's cult status has translated into over 1.5 million sales since its launch in March 2010 across Xbox 360 and PC.

"[Metro 2033] released to critical acclaim and disappointing sales. The reality is, back then, THQ didn't market the game and we're very aware of that," said Rich Williams, SVP of Global Marketing at THQ, during an investor meeting this morning. "We're absolutely committed to marketing [Metro: Last Light] appropriately."
    1.5 million sales is just disappointing.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    V Faction wrote: »

I was more surprised to see the lack of Madden, which I was almost picturing to be the flagship Wii U title from EA considering their catalog of games.

Mass Effect 3 is interesting though. I haven't played ME3 yet despite owning 1+2. However, my saves and progress are all tied to my 360. One wonders, especially with the big ending debates from earlier this year, what this version could offer a person like me or even a newcomer.

Don't forget, the 3rd game in the series is the perfect place to jump in!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    V Faction wrote: »

Also considering their bullshit discussion on Madden using Smart Glass would seem to say "oh hey, WiiU, this is an easy port."

Then again, if it was bullshit...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Well, Peter Moore was on with Geoff moments ago and basically said they were still working on that stuff behind the scenes. The real issue was stuff like when Madden releases (in August) versus when the Wii U is coming. Basically, a timing issue.

Still doesn't explain a lack of presenting info, but *shrug*

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/05/metro-2033-sales-reach-1-5-million/
    It's no secret that THQ's Metro 2033 "wasn't properly nurtured," but the game's cult status has translated into over 1.5 million sales since its launch in March 2010 across Xbox 360 and PC.

"[Metro 2033] released to critical acclaim and disappointing sales. The reality is, back then, THQ didn't market the game and we're very aware of that," said Rich Williams, SVP of Global Marketing at THQ, during an investor meeting this morning. "We're absolutely committed to marketing [Metro: Last Light] appropriately."
    1.5 million sales is just disappointing.

From a new IP and a new studio with little marketing and average to good reviews?

That's not disappointing.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    1.5 million for a new IP disappointing?

What a world we live in.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    What kind of crazy expectations did THQ have for the thing?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    1.5 million for a new IP disappointing?

What a world we live in.

And some people wonder why everything is sequels these days. Unrealistic sales expectations have destroyed realistic sales predictions.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    What kind of crazy expectations did THQ have for the thing?

It's THQ.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Speaking of THQ,
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/05/thqs-new-boss-outlines-the-companys-path-to-financial-salvatio/
    "For me, this is about the future," newly appointed THQ president Jason Rubin told investors during a conference call this morning. Rubin was outlining his plan for the future of THQ – a plan he hopes will take THQ from an ailing company on the fringe of the publishing world to previously untapped financial greatness. "The industry is about to change. If you look at what's happened in the PC business, if you look at what's happened in some of the other businesses out there, you see that print models and different ways of distributing and publishing games has opened up a significant amount of revenue for other companies," Rubin said.

Rubin's message – wherein he partially blamed THQ's financial issues on "big incumbent players" who have a "huge advantage in keeping their top spots," such as EA and Activision – seems particularly strange considering THQ CEO Brian Farrell's repeated assertion that the publisher is focused on "core brands" such as Darksiders and Saints Row. As recently as last week, THQ was espousing its "core games" focus. "THQ realigns its focus from a maker of licensed games for broad audiences to a developer of AAA 'Core' games for multiple platforms," the press release announcing Rubin's appointment reads.

"Companies in a very short amount of time can go from very small to very large. Zynga's a perfect example of that," Rubin said. "I believe that this business has opportunities that are coming on the near horizon to do something very similar. And I think that the teams that we have are properly positioned and properly sized to take advantage of that opportunity." Rubin further explained his hopes for those business opportunities. "This is about looking at what THQ has, looking at what the business is gonna become in the near future, and making a real concerted attack to get in early on the new business model." What that business model will be remains to be seen. We'll be sure to put that question to Rubin when we speak with him later this week.
    Oh god, they are going to burn down their traditional games while going to freemium, aren't they?

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Speaking of THQ,
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/06/05/thqs-new-boss-outlines-the-companys-path-to-financial-salvatio/
    "For me, this is about the future," newly appointed THQ president Jason Rubin told investors during a conference call this morning. Rubin was outlining his plan for the future of THQ – a plan he hopes will take THQ from an ailing company on the fringe of the publishing world to previously untapped financial greatness. "The industry is about to change. If you look at what's happened in the PC business, if you look at what's happened in some of the other businesses out there, you see that print models and different ways of distributing and publishing games has opened up a significant amount of revenue for other companies," Rubin said.

Rubin's message – wherein he partially blamed THQ's financial issues on "big incumbent players" who have a "huge advantage in keeping their top spots," such as EA and Activision – seems particularly strange considering THQ CEO Brian Farrell's repeated assertion that the publisher is focused on "core brands" such as Darksiders and Saints Row. As recently as last week, THQ was espousing its "core games" focus. "THQ realigns its focus from a maker of licensed games for broad audiences to a developer of AAA 'Core' games for multiple platforms," the press release announcing Rubin's appointment reads.

"Companies in a very short amount of time can go from very small to very large. Zynga's a perfect example of that," Rubin said. "I believe that this business has opportunities that are coming on the near horizon to do something very similar. And I think that the teams that we have are properly positioned and properly sized to take advantage of that opportunity." Rubin further explained his hopes for those business opportunities. "This is about looking at what THQ has, looking at what the business is gonna become in the near future, and making a real concerted attack to get in early on the new business model." What that business model will be remains to be seen. We'll be sure to put that question to Rubin when we speak with him later this week.
    Oh god, they are going to burn down their traditional games while going to freemium, aren't they?

Whelp, I thought THQ was going to make it, but...

Hopefully Volition and Relic don't get taken down with THQ.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    Speaking of THQ,

Volition and Relic are too talented to get taken down entirely. At worst, the teams will get acqu-hired by another publisher.

But I have to imagine THQ will have a fire sale and dump those studios and their IP before they go down. Or at least, I hope.

I WANT HOMEWORLD 3 DANGIT!
    AND A NEW RF:ARMAGEDDON!

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I'm honestly surprised they didn't announce a US release of Fire Emblem for the 3DS. Like that was all they had to do with the 3DS as far as I was concerned.

This was the only thing I wanted from Nintendo. I'm really worried it's going to get Xenoblade-d

Remember the 3DS conference is tomorrow. Todays shindig was all about the WiiU.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular

Citation needed.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Citation needed.

There is a ton of marketing data out there that states that the majority of tested consumers enjoy the 3D effect, but that the two biggest impediments to purchase are cost followed by having to use glasses.

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Speaking of THQ,

Volition and Relic are too talented to get taken down entirely. At worst, the teams will get acqu-hired by another publisher.

But I have to imagine THQ will have a fire sale and dump those studios and their IP before they go down. Or at least, I hope.

I WANT HOMEWORLD 3 DANGIT!
    AND A NEW RF:ARMAGEDDON!

Your best hope of a Homeworld 3 is unquestionably THQ going under and Relic being snapped up by an EA or someone like that.

Relic aren't gonna be making much else other than Warhammer games while THQ has the license. That we got a COH2 is a miracle, really, considering Dawn of War 2 outsold it 5-1.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    More stuff from Wreck-It Ralph. Not only is Disney getting in cameos from pretty much everyone, they're making the actual arcade game of Wreck-It Ralph and shipping them out across the country, assuming John C. Reilly isn't a big fibby boy.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/story/2012-06-04/wreck-it-ralph-john-c-reilly/55386816/1

Trailer comes out Friday, but in the meantime, here's a pic:

WreckitRalph-newTodayPhotosfull1.jpg

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    More stuff from Wreck-It Ralph. Not only is Disney getting in cameos from pretty much everyone, they're making the actual arcade game of Wreck-It Ralph and shipping them out across the country, assuming John C. Reilly isn't a big fibby boy.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/story/2012-06-04/wreck-it-ralph-john-c-reilly/55386816/1

Trailer comes out Friday, but in the meantime, here's a pic:

WreckitRalph-newTodayPhotosfull1.jpg

Q*bert looks so sad.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Will npc in fps 4 food!

Zan Gief and Chun Li heading down the stairs.

Undead Scottsman on