As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raiders of the Lost [Movie Thread]

BogartBogart Streetwise HerculesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited June 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NTENtxxIco

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOwWfns4qqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGpq-LDV6jU

This is the thread in which you all have terrible opinions about movies, unless they chime with my own, in which case, congratulations, you're right. Describing something as pretentious or overrated, or use of the phrase "that's just your opinion" is punishable by death, or such a dirty look I swear you will shrivel and leave out of sheer embarrassment.

Anyway, movies. Moving pictures at 24 frames a second, unless you're Peter Jackson, in which case it's 48 frames a second and we'll all just have to get used to it.

Bogart on

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    9.5/10
    7/10
    9/10

Here's my crazy opinion: I prefer Godfather 1 to Godfather 2.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    You see guys Prometheus totally makes sense because Space Jesus!

Spoilers, obviously.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html
    This was a really good analysis of the film, actually. He's obviously reaching in places, but it makes sense.

Also, he missed something that someone in the comments picked up on.

The planet is LV223...Leviticus 22:3

"Say to them: 'For the generations to come, if any of your descendants is ceremonially unclean and yet comes near the sacred offerings that the Israelites consecrate to the LORD, that person must be cut off from my presence. I am the LORD.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Is this the new movie thread @Jakobkosh promised? If it is, I feel like I should stick up for all the badmouthing Ghostbusters has been getting, but this SomethingAwful thread basically does everything for me, so I'm just going to sit back and say that Ghostbusters is a perfect movie and @Atomic Ross is right.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wait, what filthy low rent scum has been bad mouthing Ghostbusters? It is incredible, and can be watched a million times with no pleasure lost between the first and last viewings.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Man, I can't help but love Last Crusade more than Raiders...

I am under the assumption that this makes me a bad person.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Maaaaaaaaaaaaan, I neeeeeed to see Raiders of the Lost Ark again. I haven't seen it in so long. The Blu-Ray collection should be out soon.....

I get why a lot of people prefer Last Crusade, but the score in Raiders is amazing. So Raiders takes the crown.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Some of the Iron Man 3 spoilers floating around have been a bit off:
    latino-review.com/2012/06/08/exclusive-iron-patriot-iron-man-3/
    There will be no Iron Patriot in Iron Man 3. The much discussed pics were of a suit for War Machine that has been all star spangled. That's a stunt man in the suit giving Don Cheadle a break, not James Badge Dale as many assumed.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Not bad, per se, but wrong.

But that's okay. Crusade is a pretty decent movie.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Iron Man:
    Iron Patriot was really more of a color scheme than a distinct suit of armor, so I'd consider War Machine decked out in those colors to more or less be the Iron Patriot.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Iron Man:
    Iron Patriot was really more of a color scheme than a distinct suit of armor, so I'd consider War Machine decked out in those colors to more or less be the Iron Patriot.

Iron Man
    Eh, we'll still be calling him War Machine I suspect, rather than Iron Patriot. And the bigger spoiler error was the belief that Eric Savin was now going to be Iron Patriot somehow.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Prometheus was amazing.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Prometheus was amazing.

This is what I came into this thread to see.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Prometheus was amazing.

It's fucked up in the best possible way. I feel like this is how I would've felt leaving the original Alien back in 77'.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

Spoilers, obviously.

Haven't seen the movie but I'll comment on the fascinating article on Prometheus. It seems like the movie does little showing or telling to explain the history of Engineer's in favor of themes that only people know follow the Prometheus and Jesus stories and are able to connect the dots after the fact.

Implying only gets you so far with movies, especially when you're trying to appeal to the mainstream audience. Those seem like really good ideas, I'd like a movie exploring the Engineer's and their "black goo" but it shouldn't have needed a separate movie to explain this, a few brief flashbacks would have been sufficient, like in the prologue.

It would be good thing to explain why the Engineer's head exploded, as well. It self destructing from being disgusted by its "resurrection" is a brilliant concept which lt loses its potency if the audience doesn't know why when they have very little knowledge about the Engineer's culture.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    Prometheus was amazing.

It's fucked up in the best possible way. I feel like this is how I would've felt leaving the original Alien back in 77'.

My dad took my mom to see Alien back when it was first released. I still remember him describing seeing it for the first time.

Everyone was blown away and utterly horrified. He was like (paraphrased) "You know, you expected aliens to kill you. Fine. You didn't expect them to rape your throat and then tear their way out of your chest. It was visceral and insane."

shryke on
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    that cavalorn link is really interesting.
    shame the film doesnt get that across, however i hear theres like 27 mintues cut that will probably end up in that blu ray directors cut that scott is now saying he might do after saying he wasnt going bother. might do for the movie what the directors cut of blade runner did for that film.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Prometheus was not amazing by any stretch of the imagination.

In response to MalReynolds from the previous thread:
    The audience I went with virually hated the movie because it answered few questions. As I was walking out, I heard them talk about how nothing makes sense and how nothing was answered, and how it wasn't the movie they wanted it to be. But that's not the movie's fault.

Yes it is. It's the movies fault for being a poorly written mess that was about nothing.
    And sometimes the mystery is better than the reality.

Cause the reality is a guy just killing people like he's fucking Jason.

This film introduces a lot of interesting concepts... and then does absolutely nothing with them, in fact it completely fucking forgets them as characters are just killed off to up the body count.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Here's my crazy opinion: I prefer Godfather 1 to Godfather 2.

Me, too.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    According to moviemistakes.com, Raiders is a highly flawed film and we should all feel bad for liking it!

g7UDM.jpg

Just pages upon pages of this stuff. Continuity errors, plot holes! Oh my! :shock:

Somehow, somehow, it still manages to entertain!

• Options
    According to moviemistakes.com, Raiders is a highly flawed film and we should all feel bad for liking it!

g7UDM.jpg

Just pages upon pages of this stuff. Continuity errors, plot holes! Oh my! :shock:

Many films have mistakes like that. IIRC there's a car being driven on a scene in LOTR. :lol:

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Saw Prometheus this morning. Mixed feelings
    The atmosphere it evoked was great. I didn't dislike watching it. But it had a lot of poorly defined characters, way too many questions that were raised that weren't answered at all (or answered very poorly) and the ending was really unsatisfying. I'm going to blame Damon Lindelof.

And now I'm going to watch Alien.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular

g7UDM.jpg

Many films have mistakes like that. IIRC there's a car being driven on a scene in LOTR. :lol:

Theres a transit van driving along in the horizon during one of the battle scenes in braveheart.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    In one scene in Spartacus Kirk Douglas kills a roman with an M16.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Moving pictures?

it'll never catch on.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Bogart wrote: »

In Kirk's defense, the roman pulled a lightsaber on him first.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options

Spoilers, obviously.

Haven't seen the movie but I'll comment on the fascinating article on Prometheus. It seems like the movie does little showing or telling to explain the history of Engineer's in favor of themes that only people know follow the Prometheus and Jesus stories and are able to connect the dots after the fact.

Implying only gets you so far with movies, especially when you're trying to appeal to the mainstream audience. Those seem like really good ideas, I'd like a movie exploring the Engineer's and their "black goo" but it shouldn't have needed a separate movie to explain this, a few brief flashbacks would have been sufficient, like in the prologue.

It would be good thing to explain why the Engineer's head exploded, as well. It self destructing from being disgusted by its "resurrection" is a brilliant concept which lt loses its potency if the audience doesn't know why when they have very little knowledge about the Engineer's culture.
    Because, of course, we need Harrison Ford to narrate every detail to understand the film. We stupid mammals and our funny talking mens on screens.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

In Kirk's defense, the roman pulled a lightsaber on him first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3JEW4vpvw

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular

I will preface this by saying that I love all Indiana Jones movies to the point of offering physical violence to anyone who would disparage them. Although I did lobotomize the part of my brain that had previously remembered seeing something about space aliens.

Last Crusade is really where the Lucas/Spielberg collaborative effort hits their stride. The previous two movies were exceptionally good, but they don't match the quality of the story telling in the 3rd.

• Options
    Really though, what I liked about Prometheus was that it never held your hand. It never felt the need to be heavy handed and go "HEY THIS IS JUST LIKE THAT THING FROM ALIEN YEAH YOU LIKED THAT RIGHT?". Which certain other sci-fi prequels did.

Anyway, I loved the movie. I thought it was better then Avatar by leaps and miles. It's probably the best new sci-fi film of the decade.

• Options

Spoilers, obviously.

Because, of course, we need Harrison Ford to narrate every detail to understand the film. We stupid mammals and our funny talking mens on screens.
    Not sure what you're getting at with this. Adding in some flashbacks and explaining an alien culture's motives beyond implying anything about their history or philosophy that's necessary for the plot to make sense is in no way explaining every detail with a narrator. It doesn't need to go over board with the explanations, only give enough insight to let the audience know what's going on.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Really though, what I liked about Prometheus was that it never held your hand. It never felt the need to be heavy handed and go "HEY THIS IS JUST LIKE THAT THING FROM ALIEN YEAH YOU LIKED THAT RIGHT?". Which certain other sci-fi prequels did.

Anyway, I loved the movie. I thought it was better then Avatar by leaps and miles. It's probably the best new sci-fi film of the decade.

So of the two and half years of this decade its the best new scifi? Bold.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Prometheus was amazing.
    There were 2 scenes that felt out of place. The sex proposition between the captain and Peter Weyland's daughter and the scene between the captain and shaw. There was a conversation before the "this is a nuke station" scene between these two characters and I want to know what it was and why it was cut out.

Shall be seeing it again today

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »

Daring.

Perhaps, even, debonair?

Spoilers, obviously.

Not sure what you're getting at with this. Adding in some flashbacks and explaining an alien culture's motives beyond implying anything about their history or philosophy that's necessary for the plot to make sense is in no way explaining every detail with a narrator. It doesn't need to go over board with the explanations, only give enough insight to let the audience know what's going on.
    Well, seeing as the first thing we see is a Space Jockey/Engineer/Prometheus sacrificing himself...

• Options
    edited June 2012

Daring.

Perhaps, even, debonair?

Spoilers, obviously.

Well, seeing as the first thing we see is a Space Jockey/Engineer/Prometheus sacrificing himself...
    Does the film explain why it's sacrificing itself?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

Daring.

Perhaps, even, debonair?

Spoilers, obviously.

to create life

I thought that much was obvious

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular

Did you miss all the scenes with David ham-handedly explaining the theme?

This movie gives no answers because the writer didn't bother to come up with any.

As to you final point, no. Just no. John Carter was better than this and John Carter wasn't all that good.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Daring.

Perhaps, even, debonair?

Spoilers, obviously.

to create life

I thought that much was obvious
    Where does the thought process stuff come in then? Is that explained? And why does the goo act differently when it's on humans?

• Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited June 2012

Best new sci-fi film of the decade? Aside from it only being a sorta-new intellectual property, does it actually beat out Inception?

zerg rush on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Raid: Redemption.

I don't need to see any other action films for the rest of the year. In fact, I can unwatch what I've seen up to now.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    zerg rush wrote: »

Best new sci-fi film of the decade? Aside from it only sorta-being a new intellectual property, does it actually beat out Inception?

I thought it did. But, you know, opinions, assholes, etc.
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Did you miss all the scenes with David ham-handedly explaining the theme?

This movie gives no answers because the writer didn't bother to come up with any.

As to you final point, no. Just no. John Carter was better than this and John Carter wasn't all that good.

John Carter is a planetary romance. It's more fantasy then sci-fi.

This discussion has been closed.