Options

99 pages already for the STEAM thread? Yikes. Go find the new one.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    OK, as a pre-summer sale warmup, I have copies of Terraria and the Monkey Island Bundle for worthy recipients.
    Rules:
    1 Post explaining why you should get it
    Cannot have played Monkey Island before if applying for Monkey Island

Friendly Reminder: In order to not flood the thread with contest posts, we keep contests on PMs (Nothing stops you from gathering all the PMs and post them after the contest in order for the others to see though).

PM's then!

• Options
    Stealth XXIVStealth XXIV Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    In case people are put off by the long, detailed rules for the competition I posted on the previous page, here's a tl;dr version:
    • The prize is Indie Gala VI.
    • Four more entries still open - send me a PM to join.
    • I give you random letters - you make up funny phrases with those letters as the initials.
    • All players collectively vote for the best entries, but do so anonymously - you don't know whose entry you're voting for or who voted for yours.

If you're not interested in the contest, or would be if something were different (for example, the prize), I'd still love to hear what you think. I find this forum game really fun (I used to play a real-time, bot-driven version on IRC), and I'd like to do what I can to help it take off.

Edit: fixed BBCode

Stealth XXIV on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Cripes double post, sorry.

Stealth XXIV on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Podunk wrote: »
    Wow, Sonic Generations is a really fun game. I've been smiling the whole time I'm playing it. Lucas, my 3 year old, digs it too. He celebrates every time we finish a level, and he gives his commentary as I play. Mostly it's "Don't die!" "Is that a bad guy?" "Hit the bad guy!" and "Yes, we got him!" Good times.

SO adorbs :D

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Whats the word on Spec Ops The LIne? Most I can tell its a cover based shooter that takes place in Dubai and sand is important.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Cheers to @Dark Raven X for PA3! That was a very pleasant surprise to wake up to on what is going to be a stressful day. Very nice to be able to come home and relax with something new when it's all over.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Whats the word on Spec Ops The LIne? Most I can tell its a cover based shooter that takes place in Dubai and sand is important.

Just found out, Nolan North does voice acting in this game. My penis is straight gay for that man so I might end up getting this without really having a clue what its about.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    I'm so hyped about playing the new PA game. Soooo hyped.

I haven't even bought a game in a few months due to backlogging, but I had to make an important exception in this case.

And I guess like a lot of people, I now have giftable copies of Cthululululu bananananana (alternating letters nooooo) and BOD VII.

Might want to save them for the next PA giveaway / charity thingy?

What has been the consensus treatment for those so far?

• Options

Personally, I'm saving them to entice new Steam users - like real life friends who like games, but don't yet serve the Newell.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    PA ep 3 is faaaantastic. Last remnant is p. great so far too. I see myself losing many hours

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i still haven't played BoD or Cthululu. i have had them since they came out but never found the time

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SquiddyBiscuitSquiddyBiscuit Registered User regular
    Apparently, DDO is now available on STEAM.
    The DLC you can get is cheaper if you just go through the DDO MTC store, I think.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    More people need PA3! It is truly fantastic.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I got them both at release, finished BoD, just remembered that I think I still have part of CStW to go. Have to wrap that up someday soon, probably after I finish PA3, which should be this week.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Has anyone had a chance to try Cubemen yet? It looks fun, but it says "mixes TD with RTS" in the description and I suck at RTS so I was hoping for an opinion or two before dropping the huge $2 investment.

@Drake had this to say about it. Maybe he'll swing by and give you more of a low-down on the rts aspect of it.
    Drake wrote: »
    Cubemen is really neat. If you are at all amused by Tower Defense stuff it's totally worth it.

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    I got them both at release, finished BoD, just remembered that I think I still have part of CStW to go. Have to wrap that up someday soon, probably after I finish PA3, which should be this week.

Which raises a great question. How long is PA3? How long will it take to beat? Howlongtobeat.com doesn't have an entry yet, it's too new.

I ask because there is nothing more frustrating than getting invested in an RPG and then discovering you don't have the time to dedicate to it, to complete the story arch. Coming back after a couple of weeks always seems to leave things stale, too.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I believe the average estimate falls somewhere within 8-10 hours.

• Options
    Oh that isn't too bad. Definitely doable in a few days. Thanks!

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    *sigh*

Sadly this summer sale probably wont be as fun for me as previous sales because I pretty much own everything...

Im in the same predicament, but then I realized that instead of buying for myself, I might as well gift some games to people on my friends list during the sale.

I was pondering the Summer Sale today while waiting for the bus, and desperately tried to figure out what I could buy that I don't already have/want. I couldn't come up with a whole lot. I might actually be able to sit this one out aside from a few gifts to people. I think my bank will appreciate it.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    *sigh*

Sadly this summer sale probably wont be as fun for me as previous sales because I pretty much own everything...

Im in the same predicament, but then I realized that instead of buying for myself, I might as well gift some games to people on my friends list during the sale.

I was pondering the Summer Sale today while waiting for the bus, and desperately tried to figure out what I could buy that I don't already have/want. I couldn't come up with a whole lot. I might actually be able to sit this one out aside from a few gifts to people. I think my bank will appreciate it.

The problem with steam sales is that it will present you with games you never would have thought of wanting or needing. You just end up buying because of the huge discount and it will gather dust in your backlog.

• Options
    johnwing wrote: »
    *sigh*

The problem with steam sales is that it will present you with games you never would have thought of wanting or needing. You just end up buying because of the huge discount and it will gather dust in your backlog.

Oh I know. You should see my backlog. I have a good number of games I can't imagine ever even installing, but gotta catch'em all I suppose.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Wait a sec...I'm going to get to the point that I can't have everything installed? But my library already seems so huge at 80ish!

• Options
    edited June 2012
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

This can't be real.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I'm so hyped about playing the new PA game. Soooo hyped.

I haven't even bought a game in a few months due to backlogging, but I had to make an important exception in this case.

And I guess like a lot of people, I now have giftable copies of Cthululululu bananananana (alternating letters nooooo) and BOD VII.

Might want to save them for the next PA giveaway / charity thingy?

You know how to spell banana, but not how to stop.

Just a reminder when the summer sale starts, there is the Solid Saints auction if anyone wants to buy spare copies of stuff to donate to game pile. I sent an email to Steam support asking if we had an account that existed just to hold donated games in the inventory would it get flagged as suspicious, but haven't heard back yet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Wait a sec...I'm going to get to the point that I can't have everything installed? But my library already seems so huge at 80ish!

Oh no, I mean there's some games I bought just cause they were $1 or something so I figured why not. I suppose I'd be hard pressed to install every game I own unless I split them onto multiple hard drives or upgraded to more than 1 terabyte drives though.

Blendtec on
  • Options
    One weird little glitch I've noticed.

If you buff your ally, like with +Taunt or a Stat Up or whatever, that message comes up in front of them.

Well if you're attacked by an enemy during that small window of time the message is present, the damage number won't come up, instead the status message will persist and simply bounce as if it were being treated the same as a damage number.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »
    Has anyone had a chance to try Cubemen yet? It looks fun, but it says "mixes TD with RTS" in the description and I suck at RTS so I was hoping for an opinion or two before dropping the huge $2 investment.

@Drake had this to say about it. Maybe he'll swing by and give you more of a low-down on the rts aspect of it.
    Cubemen is really neat. If you are at all amused by Tower Defense stuff it's totally worth it.

I spent a few hours with it last night. It's pretty fun. You build Cubemen, who will move to whatever legal position you designate for them and then fire on any enemy units who move into range. Your Cubemen aren't stuck where you build them, but they can only move to designated points on the current board. You get all the usual weapons options and the levels go from straightforward to complex little chunks of terrain. There are three modes available; Defense, where you defend you base/beacon/tower thing from waves of mobs. Skirmish, where your base generates mobs (NPCs in the games terminology) as well as the units you purchase. The goal of the Skirmish mode is to overwhelm your opponents units and defeat his mobs while getting your mobs to his tower. This mode is a Versus mode that you can play against AI or an online opponent. Then there's the Mayhem mode, which is up to six players pushing their Cubemen and NPCs against each other. I haven't tried this mode yet but I bet it could be a lot of fun.

Graphics are clean, the interface is clear and simple. Good in-game hints and tutorial tips ease you in quickly. It looks like one of those games that's easy to pick up and offers fast play but could eat up a good chunk of time if you like this particular mix of TD and RTS. The current sale price is easily worth what you get.

• Options

Oh no, I mean there's some games I bought just cause they were $1 or something so I figured why not. I suppose I'd be hard pressed to install every game I own unless I split them onto multiple hard drives or upgraded to more than 1 terabyte drives though.

I'm kidding - I know that within the next week or two I'll hit the point where I have to start deciding what to install (or buying another HD). It's pretty much a given.

As a side note folks only 30 minutes left to buy Revelations 2012 - buy extras to give out at Christmas (if the world doesn't end by then of course).

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

I'm in a similar state, but I find they generally make a point of having a mix of big(ger) ticket items at a good discount, and some smaller/indy ventures for super cheap, so sometimes I just end up spending a buck or two each day getting cheap indy ventures, especially if they're tied to quick/easy achievements for event participation tickets/coal/whatever.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    So, DXHR: The Missing Link appears to be a separate entry in the library. When I reach the relevant part, do I just exit DXHR and boot it up? Or does it link (heh) some other way?

• Options
    Tamin wrote: »
    So, DXHR: The Missing Link appears to be a separate entry in the library. When I reach the relevant part, do I just exit DXHR and boot it up? Or does it link (heh) some other way?

It's totally separate from the main DXHR game.

Super not-really-spoilers, they do this by pulling a Metroid on you in the beginning and shutting off all your augments and taking away your stuff.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Missing Link is post story though, right? We gotta finish the main game before playing it?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Tamin wrote: »

It's totally separate from the main DXHR game.

Super not-really-spoilers, they do this by pulling a Metroid on you in the beginning and shutting off all your augments and taking away your stuff.

Alright, then. Now I just have to keep my eyes open for said relevant part. Thanks.

• Options
    striderjg wrote: »

I spent a few hours with it last night. It's pretty fun. You build Cubemen, who will move to whatever legal position you designate for them and then fire on any enemy units who move into range. Your Cubemen aren't stuck where you build them, but they can only move to designated points on the current board. You get all the usual weapons options and the levels go from straightforward to complex little chunks of terrain. There are three modes available; Defense, where you defend you base/beacon/tower thing from waves of mobs. Skirmish, where your base generates mobs (NPCs in the games terminology) as well as the units you purchase. The goal of the Skirmish mode is to overwhelm your opponents units and defeat his mobs while getting your mobs to his tower. This mode is a Versus mode that you can play against AI or an online opponent. Then there's the Mayhem mode, which is up to six players pushing their Cubemen and NPCs against each other. I haven't tried this mode yet but I bet it could be a lot of fun.

Graphics are clean, the interface is clear and simple. Good in-game hints and tutorial tips ease you in quickly. It looks like one of those games that's easy to pick up and offers fast play but could eat up a good chunk of time if you like this particular mix of TD and RTS. The current sale price is easily worth what you get.
    Awesome - thanks for the details!

• Options
    captaink wrote: »

This can't be real.

Literally the worse game I've ever played.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Not a doctor Tree townRegistered User regular
    Will the daily deals just keep getting worse until finally the Summer Sale starts?

Find out in 15 minutes!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Greenmangaming.com came through and credited my account with £6. I have £9 worth if credit there now. Might pick up quantum conundrum for a pound more.

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    captaink wrote: »

This can't be real.

Literally the worse game I've ever played.

If it didn't look so busted it'd be funny. I'd love to manage the Weshington Wuzards.

• Options
    Missing Link is post story though, right? We gotta finish the main game before playing it?

From what I understand, no. At some point in the story, Jensen vanishes off the radar for 3 days. This covers those days.

This discussion has been closed.