As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Perdido Street Station, or Why Tycho Was Too Kind About China Mieville

NeuroskepticNeuroskeptic Registered User regular
edited June 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I just finished China Mieville's Perdido Street Station.

I didn't like it.

Spoilers ahead.

First off, the writing. From everything I'd read about Mieville, I was expecting PSS to be hard: complex, intelligent, ornate & dense prose. Even Tycho, in his post attacking him, seemed to admit that Mieville was a hyper-intellectual author. Which would have been great! That's what I wanted! But Perdido Street Station wasn't.

Mieville uses some hard words, yes, but other than that, the writing is simplistic and utilitarian. The words are long (except the 'four letter words'); but the sentences are short and almost every one starts with "The", "He", "She", or a name: The cat sat languously on the dilapidated mat. He thought, Fuck this shit!

There's one particularly lazy passage which takes up almost a whole page. It's about "The Weaver", and honestly it consists of about 10 short sentences of the form "The Weaver did X". Mieville clearly can write much better than that. Some passages (namely Yagarek's interludes) are excellent, but they're the exception.

It's "fantasy", the world is not especially fantastic. The 'magical' races that are all humans crossed with X: Bird-people! Frog-people! Ant-people! Even Cactus-people. That's not imagination; it's hyphenation. Then there are demons from Generic Sword & Sorcery Hell, there's Skynet... although to be fair, the main enemies are pretty good, and the Remade are genuinely disturbing and could carry the story on their own but were relegated to the background.

New Crobuzon's clearly the most interesting part of the setting, and yes it's cool - but rather than showing us how wonderful and magical it is, by telling wonderful stories set in it, Mieville just tells us about the city. At enormous length. Page after page of urban geography interrupt the narrative, almost as if PSS was originally two books - a story, and a Guide to New Crobuzon - that got mixed together at random.

There are also a number of ridiculous sections where Mieville describes some really boring and irrelevant process at huge length - like how a bunch of guys lay some electrical cable (they carry the end of it from A to B!). As a result, the book is far too thick, given that the core story is just not very long. My copy is over 800 pages; it could be - and therefore should be - more like half that. I'm not trying to be funny: this book could be greatly improved with a pair of scissors.

Speaking of which, dialogue. Or rather, monologue. Character after character, hero, villain and support, love nothing better than long set-pieces explaining their plans, theories and motives; all of them speak with much the same voice when they do this (it's the same voice Mieville uses for *his* narrative exposition), no matter who they are, and it really grates. If you exclude those bits there's little actual conversation, and this makes the characters difficult to empathize with. Like with New Crobuzon, rather than *showing* us what the characters think, in the form of their actions, Mieville just has them rattle off an executive summary.

The nadir of this is near the end where the book's Big Idea (I think?), something about the relation between the conscious and the subconscious mind, reason and dreams, is - quite literally - reduced to a set of algebraic equations, and explained in the style of a freshman physics lecture. And it still doesn't make sense.

On the characters: Yagarek and Lin were both interesting, but neither were given much attention. On the other hand Isaac was everywhere, which was a bad move because he's a jackass: unlikeable, obnoxious, supposedly a genius yet remarkably stupid when the plot requires it, and every other word he says is "fuck" (other characters swear too much as well, but Isaac is the worst offender).

As for the plot, it was... OK. It takes a long time to get up to speed and then proceeds, in a linear way, to the obvious conclusion, like a slow train. There are plot holes that are explained away in a really lazy way (the bit where someone explains why periscopes and double-mirror arrangements aren't being used is just insulting. "For some reason we can't explain, it's only safe to look at them in one mirror.")

It does get better towards the end. There's one very funny bit where a bunch of Generic Fantasy Adventurers are described as basically a bunch of psychopathic mercenaries who go around breaking into tombs for "gold and experience". Yagarek, the most compelling character, stopped moping and actually contributed to the story. The Glasshouse was the most memorable part of the city.

But the final chapters were very disappointing. Yagarek's interesting subplot is cut short by what can only be described as a case of Rape-us Ex Machina. Lin is bumped off unsatisfyingly, leaving Isaac with nothing to do but pack up and run away! Everything else ends up back like it was at the start of the book. The city has been saved, but I wasn't even happy about that because it's been repeatedly described as a fascist den of squalor and misery. To be honest I was rooting for the Slake Moths.

Neuroskeptic on

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I liked it. It was a fun trip through a series of interesting little ideas. I think it's true he desperately needs an editor and works better in short stories, but I like the longer books for their digressions.

Though I do feel like the point is kind of that New Crobuzon is a city of people uniquely able to exploit each other, and it really should be wiped out.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    This might merit it's own thread, but you might consider posting it in one of the reading threads.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Though I do feel like the point is kind of that New Crobuzon is a city of people uniquely able to exploit each other, and it really should be wiped out.

While I don't disagree, I'm not sure why that's the point. "A bunch of mostly un-likable people trying to save a city that doesn't deserve saving, won't appreciate their efforts, and is basically fundamentally horrible" doesn't strike me as a compelling topic for a work of fiction. I imagine it works to the extent that it does because, mostly, the book isn't actually about the story. It's a fairly straight-forward, uncomplicated tale used as the thread that holds together an exercise in showing the reader all of his work in world-building.

For contrast, Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork is also a fundamentally corrupt city populated by people whose primary occupation appears to be screwing one another over at every opportunity. Typically his stories set there either center around people who are, at least at some level, good despite the city's depravity. Usually these people don't start out good, since very nearly no one in Ankh-Morpork is, but they end up there eventually. Or at least something that can be broadly described as 'good'. Also, typically, they're stories about saving the city from itself. Does it deserve it? Probably not. But the characters are altruistic enough that you want them to prevail and, when the scope of the story is beyond just staying alive, you can identify with their hope that their efforts will force the city to be less awful.

Perdido Street Station (and keep in mind that I read it when it came out, so the details are pretty hazy) didn't give me the impression that New Corbuzon was going to get any better for the characters' efforts. It wasn't going to get worse, either. The whole story was just a thing that happened; which can be okay if there's an arc to the characters, but I don't recall there being much in the way of change in any of them, either. Which just reinforces the sense that it's less a story and more an excuse to showcase his Steampunk Squalorscape.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    You wont get a lot of arguement from me. I wanted to like that book so much, but the characters ranged from uninteresting to annoying, and I am a very protagonist driven reader. I HAVE to like the characters and all of his are a series of ideas with no real personality or completely unlikable.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Mieville is interesting, but if only for building interesting species or ideas.

Awesome things - the Weaver, people whose blood dried into armor etc.
    Terrible things - his characters, blatant communist leanings intruding on story, inability to get anything done expeditiously.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Perdido Street Station was also a very ambitious early (perhaps his first?) novel. His writing comes together quite a bit by the time you hit the second half. Business picks up a great deal in subsequent works: The Scar, in particular, is where he actually hooked me.

As for the blatant "communist" leanings: It's a steampunk setting. Unions are a part of the history that subsumes and alters. An important part. Workers in that setting are organizing because their class system and justice systems suck.

• Options
    As for the blatant "communist" leanings: It's a steampunk setting. Unions are a part of the history that subsumes and alters. An important part. Workers in that setting are organizing because their class system and justice systems suck.
    I could live with the unions but it goes deeper than that. The whole thing about "crisis energy" is reminiscent of the Marxist/Hegelian concept of 'dialectics', but applied to physics rather than society (and actually IIRC Isaac says at one point "and it also works for society!" to underline the point. And this "crisis energy" added very little to PSS so I think it's fair to say it was a "communist leaning intruding on story".

I did like the Weaver, like I said I really liked the Remade, and Motley. Actually the book could have been great if it was just Isaac vs Motley over Lin, with the government fighting the moths as a menacing backdrop.

• Options
    As to whether Mieville has improved since - well his only other book I've read is The City and the City.

I much preferred it, but I still found it only 'pretty good', not 'amazing' like a lot of people say he is. The prose is a lot better in TC&TC, the dialog's much improved, although the characters are still weak. However he still goes into too much detail about minutae (I remember a large chunk of TC&TC devoted to customs regulations...) and like PSS I was quite enjoying the story once it got going, but I was really disappointed with the ending.

I get the feeling that he's a writer who starts a book because he wants to showcase a certain world, not because he wants to tell a certain story. This would explain why the endings are weak, it seems like he's just exhausted the world at a certain point and so he calls the narrative to a halt, even if it's unsatisfying.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I'm the opposite, the only book of his I liked was Perdido Street Station, but I can't even read the others.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Perdido Street Station was also a very ambitious early (perhaps his first?) novel. His writing comes together quite a bit by the time you hit the second half. Business picks up a great deal in subsequent works: The Scar, in particular, is where he actually hooked me.

PSS isn't that bad with it, but if you read Iron Council, it's ridiculous and gets in the way of the story.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    As to whether Mieville has improved since - well his only other book I've read is The City and the City.

I much preferred it, but I still found it only 'pretty good', not 'amazing' like a lot of people say he is. The prose is a lot better in TC&TC, the dialog's much improved, although the characters are still weak. However he still goes into too much detail about minutae (I remember a large chunk of TC&TC devoted to customs regulations...) and like PSS I was quite enjoying the story once it got going, but I was really disappointed with the ending.

I get the feeling that he's a writer who starts a book because he wants to showcase a certain world, not because he wants to tell a certain story. This would explain why the endings are weak, it seems like he's just exhausted the world at a certain point and so he calls the narrative to a halt, even if it's unsatisfying.

You should read The Scar.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

While I don't disagree, I'm not sure why that's the point. "A bunch of mostly un-likable people trying to save a city that doesn't deserve saving, won't appreciate their efforts, and is basically fundamentally horrible" doesn't strike me as a compelling topic for a work of fiction. I imagine it works to the extent that it does because, mostly, the book isn't actually about the story. It's a fairly straight-forward, uncomplicated tale used as the thread that holds together an exercise in showing the reader all of his work in world-building.

For contrast, Pratchett's Ankh-Morpork is also a fundamentally corrupt city populated by people whose primary occupation appears to be screwing one another over at every opportunity. Typically his stories set there either center around people who are, at least at some level, good despite the city's depravity. Usually these people don't start out good, since very nearly no one in Ankh-Morpork is, but they end up there eventually. Or at least something that can be broadly described as 'good'. Also, typically, they're stories about saving the city from itself. Does it deserve it? Probably not. But the characters are altruistic enough that you want them to prevail and, when the scope of the story is beyond just staying alive, you can identify with their hope that their efforts will force the city to be less awful.

Perdido Street Station (and keep in mind that I read it when it came out, so the details are pretty hazy) didn't give me the impression that New Corbuzon was going to get any better for the characters' efforts. It wasn't going to get worse, either. The whole story was just a thing that happened; which can be okay if there's an arc to the characters, but I don't recall there being much in the way of change in any of them, either. Which just reinforces the sense that it's less a story and more an excuse to showcase his Steampunk Squalorscape.

Why not? What makes it not a good story?

And I'm not seeing why the characters aren't likeable and the city is as "fundamentally horrible" as any city of that time period.

I could live with the unions but it goes deeper than that. The whole thing about "crisis energy" is reminiscent of the Marxist/Hegelian concept of 'dialectics', but applied to physics rather than society (and actually IIRC Isaac says at one point "and it also works for society!" to underline the point. And this "crisis energy" added very little to PSS so I think it's fair to say it was a "communist leaning intruding on story".

How is it intruding on the story?

I mean, the story is most certainly, obviously written by someone well familiar with Marxist philosophy, but it's not like the book ever stops to preach at you about it. It just incorporates those ideas into it's setting, the same way judeo-christian ideas are incorporated into a ton of stories.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »

I mean, the story is most certainly, obviously written by someone well familiar with Marxist philosophy, but it's not like the book ever stops to preach at you about it. It just incorporates those ideas into it's setting, the same way judeo-christian ideas are incorporated into a ton of stories.
    It does preach about it because 'crisis energy' plays no meaningful plot role. It didn't need to be in the book at all - all it actually does is serve as a Macguffin for the Construct Council to try and grab. Or it could be just called "mana" and it would still work.

Likewise the dockworker's strike doesn't advance the plot much and (for me) it broke immersion, because it was so obviously a 'real world' phenomenon (trade unionism) incongruously appearing in a fantasy setting. I mean, sure, you can make a case that it's plausible that there would be trade unions in New Crobuzon. But that doesn't mean it ought to be in the book. I'm sure there are toilets and toilet paper in New Crobuzon too but it would still be breaking immersion to write about them because it's a fantasy novel.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    One of the things that benefits the "Bas Lag" novels is that by the time you finish reading the 3rd one, there's a better understanding of the history of the city, which makes some of the inequalities more understandable. I do believe it is a flaw in his books that he tends to gloss over larger history or world building in favor of describing the "now." Since he trades in political language (although I do not believe he writes political books), by ignoring things such as general technological enhancements or past developments that have led to current restrictions, we end up questioning elements such as "if there's so much technology and magic, how does any government maintain control, and why are there general workers in the first place?"

The dystopian elements in PSS give an air of post-scarcity economies, but the economies are presented as similar to London in the pre-1900s. There are helper robots and magic, but it doesn't seem like there are actually jobs? Yet the city is filled with people and presented as a working, industrious city. I find that lack of history for the city (and world, really) as a pretty glaring omission, given the focus on the larger city issues.

Part of the reason "The Scar" works better as a novel is that it's contained in a smaller space where the author can discuss the history of the different elements and locations, and then when those elements shift to create the climax of the novel, I'm much more engaged. PSS seems to instead use grand themes to simply instill a sense of "nothing changes in this town" and uses a lot of words to do so.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    shryke wrote: »

It does preach about it because 'crisis energy' plays no meaningful plot role. It didn't need to be in the book at all - all it actually does is serve as a Macguffin for the Construct Council to try and grab. Or it could be just called "mana" and it would still work.

That's not preaching though. It's just using an idea he's familiar with to enchance his setting beyond then just "it was magic!".
    Likewise the dockworker's strike doesn't advance the plot much and (for me) it broke immersion, because it was so obviously a 'real world' phenomenon (trade unionism) incongruously appearing in a fantasy setting. I mean, sure, you can make a case that it's plausible that there would be trade unions in New Crobuzon. But that doesn't mean it ought to be in the book. I'm sure there are toilets and toilet paper in New Crobuzon too but it would still be breaking immersion to write about them because it's a fantasy novel.

How are trade unions incongruous in a fantasy setting? Especially an industrial-revolution-esque fantasy setting?

Like, you keep saying it shouldn't be in the book, but you've given no compelling reason why not.

The LACK of trade unions or guilds in other fantasy settings is what's far more incongruous.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Because if it isn't High Fantasy it's not Fantasy guys!

Honestly, my favorite part about his books is the low magic mixed with plausible settings.

As for New Crobuzon being kind of a shit city filled with kind of shitty people, I felt like that was the point? It's a lot like the real world. I would also say that claiming he just 'hybridized' person+plant/animal is selling him short given the attention to detail that was paid to the physiology and behavior given to the races. Just because they weren't orcs and elves they aren't fantasy? Been too long since I've read it to comment on the specific writing styles but I don't remember finding it lazy. On the other hand I've been so enraptured by all of his books I've read that I chewed through them too fast to pay a lot of attention to the prose. Only thing that I can remember is the swears didn't bother me because it felt like a very natural way for a person to talk.

Anybody else in here read Kraken, I fuckin loved that book.

• Options
    Kraken wasn't bad but a bit too much just "Hey, this is cool" and not as coherent.

My favorite was Embassytown followed by The Scar.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Have not read Embassytown yet but I will definitely have to do that if you think that highly of The Scar.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I think most of the nitpicks are accurate. Mieville is a great world-builder, not so good at characterization. I would say he has an amazing imagination (far more than "hyphenation"), which is how his worlds get so cool. PSS was indeed too long, when I read it (and recently re-read it) it feels like it should be 3 or 4 separate books.

Despite its flaws, its still worth the read. I've read several other books of his and haven't regretted reading all of them. The Scar was excellent. Iron Council was ok. The City and The City was on the verge of being Important, but instead was just a regular sort of good and interesting. I'm reading Embassytown right now; he's back to using lots of complicated vocabulary and the voices feel very flat, but its super-original, as always.

I'm not sure why this needed its own thread though; we talk about Mieville in the reading thread all the time, often making these exact criticisms. Yet so many of us keep going back.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I didn't care for PSS all that much but I ended up enjoying The Scar. It was an all around superior story, although it had the same character issues. However, it felt more intentional and experimental and less, just... bad.

• Options
    Because if it isn't High Fantasy it's not Fantasy guys!
    No, the problem is PSS is high fantasy - except for the trade unions and some other incongruous elements. If your story involves: summoning the Ambassador of Hell; a "dancing mad god"; steampunk Skynet; and a potential source of infinite energy, it is high fantasy.

Actually, in fairness, maybe those were the incongruous elements and the low stuff was the essence of the book. I dunno. But a lot of things didn't fit together for me.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    But even if it is "high fantasy", why can't there be elements like trade unions? Does it have to be magical unicorns or something instead? I honestly don't quite get what it is people want from "high fantasy" and what can't be in it.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I've only read Kraken, and I feel really conflicted about it. I fucking love the world he created. The problem is that it seems like Mieville was too caught up in showing the reader really neat quirks of this setting and forgot sometimes that there's a plot that needs to be moving forward.

Kraken would make an excellent TV series, if only because it already seems like it has that sort of episodic pacing. It starts and stops, focusing on different little stories that eventually meander into a conclusion to a story that's half-forgotten by the time you get to the end.

At the same time, though, the world is so interesting to peer into that it really sticks. I want Krakenism to be a thing. I've certainly doodled a few experimental tattoo designs based on their logo's description.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    This might merit it's own thread, but you might consider posting it in one of the reading threads.

We could always turn it into a thread about popular books that we, a minority, end up disliking? I have people recommend me Stephen Donaldson's The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant on numerous occasions, and every time I have to tell them that I did try to read those books. And I couldn't make it very far because the main character is a disgusting piece of shit. (I'm basically using this thread to bring up my hatred for that character. I really do not like him.)

I also did not enjoy Neal Stephenson's Anathem. You could skip dozens of pages and not miss anything, because he'd spend those pages talking about irrelevant information - how a bridge is built or buttresses- or by throwing around a lot of fake language. It drove me crazy. Perhaps I'm just not sophisticated enough to appreciate his books, but I have no desire to read another one now.

Fuck Thomas Covenant!

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Grislo wrote: »
    But even if it is "high fantasy", why can't there be elements like trade unions? Does it have to be magical unicorns or something instead? I honestly don't quite get what it is people want from "high fantasy" and what can't be in it.
    Well, what I mean is, I want a book to have a consistent "feel". Imagine if, in the middle of The Hobbit, Tolkein had two of the dwarves run off into the woods and have a gay liason described in explicit detail. And then it was back to being The Hobbit.

That would have ruined the book, not because there's anything wrong with gay slash in its proper place, and not because "gay dwarves don't exist" or anything like that, but because it would be incongruous in that book. It would break the immersion.

Obviously that's an extreme example but I felt a bit like that with parts of PSS. I have nothing against a world which blends gritty political realism and 'high' fantasy, and I think some books do achieve that e.g. Song of Ice & Fire but PSS didn't feel like a seamless blend; the seams were showing.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2012
    It seems as though you're annoyed the book wasn't consistent with other books in the fantasy genre. It isn't high fantasy at all, but the lack of high fantasy elements seems to have taken you by complete surprise.

Maybe if he'd included dour dwarves and graceful elves instead of weird cactus people and bird men you'd like it more. That's not a criticism of PSS, that's just indicating the fantasy books you want to read are those of a certain kind.

Bogart on
  • Options
    I liked the fact it wasn't a traditional elves 'n' dwarves affair, but it was still a "high" fantasy in many places and a gritty one in others and I didn't think they fitted together.

• Options
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    schuss wrote: »

Terrible things - his characters, blatant communist leanings intruding on story, inability to get anything done expeditiously.

The normal blatantly racist/fascist societies we see in fantasy are just fine, but "communism" isn't?

Curse that red villain Meiville for not conforming to genre norms!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i actually liked his marxist tendencies intruding on the story

its always interesting to read fiction framed in an unusual way

its almost irrelevant if you disagree with it, its interesting nonetheless to see stories designed from a strongly and very nuanced marxist perspective

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I liked the fact it wasn't a traditional elves 'n' dwarves affair, but it was still a "high" fantasy in many places and a gritty one in others and I didn't think they fitted together.

This is news to me. Low magic, non-traditional races, gang wars, average joes, and bureaucrats instead of a struggle between good and evil, a meandering journey instead of an epic journey, multiple narrators and no heroes' tale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy

Literally none of that shit matches up. Sorry you dislike it for being something it's not.

On the other hand lots of low fantasy themes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_fantasy

But I think overall most his books that I've read fit the weird fiction genre pretty damn well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weird_fiction

• Options
    It's "fantasy", the world is not especially fantastic.

This just doesn't make sense to me, unless by 'fantastic' you mean 'in line with other, more traditional fantasy stories'. In which case Mieville's crime is to stray from overly-familiar tropes and plots.

• Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

The normal blatantly racist/fascist societies we see in fantasy are just fine, but "communism" isn't?

I think that people are more uncomfortable with communist ideas in fiction because it's still kind of an open question. Everyone knows that monarchy is a bunch of ridiculous nonsense, but there's still a fear/discomfort of any direct criticism of capitalism in any format. Just part of the cultural legacy of the cold war, even 20 years on.

And most fantasy works aren't (actively) arguing in favor of any particular political system. Some people just don't want that.

iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    IriahIriah Registered User regular
    I was pretty irritated that Tycho's newspost called out Mieville for being pretentious in his writing. Pot, meet kettle.

Furthermore I can't believe anyone's calling anything he's written 'high fantasy'.
    summoning the Ambassador of Hell; a "dancing mad god"; steampunk Skynet; and a potential source of infinite energy, it is high fantasy.

It most certainly isn't. Two of those things MAY be high fantasy, but on the whole I'd be inclined to say that none of those things are indicative of high fantasy at all. Context is everything. High fantasy generally takes a top-down approach to monarchies and wars and all that - you know, what Raymond Feist churns out between waking up and eating breakfast. I'd also like to remind you that the ambassador of hell is essentially written in for a joke and an 'oh shit' moment when even Hell says the slake moths are too powerful.

And heaven forbid someone use speculative fiction as a vehicle for ideas that we don't experience in our everyday. If you don't like the marxist ideas in his books I urge you to slow down and pull into a rest area because, Jesus, why not at least consider it for a minute? Is it so distasteful to you that you can't even enter a discussion or a fictitious environment in which it is also present?

I liked the marxism in his books. In Embassytown, the protagonist is raised in a sort of creche reminiscent of The Dispossessed, where parents rotate every week or so. It wasn't how I was raised, but I'll be damned if I'm not intrigued.

• Options
    Iriah wrote: »
    And heaven forbid someone use speculative fiction as a vehicle for ideas that we don't experience in our everyday. If you don't like the marxist ideas in his books I urge you to slow down and pull into a rest area because, Jesus, why not at least consider it for a minute? Is it so distasteful to you that you can't even enter a discussion or a fictitious environment in which it is also present?

IIRC, Iain M Banks caught a lot of shit from certain sections of the US SF community back in the day for his depiction of the ideally communist Culture.

• Options
    Behemoth wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »

I think that people are more uncomfortable with communist ideas in fiction because it's still kind of an open question. Everyone knows that monarchy is a bunch of ridiculous nonsense, but there's still a fear/discomfort of any direct criticism of capitalism in any format. Just part of the cultural legacy of the cold war, even 20 years on.

And most fantasy works aren't (actively) arguing in favor of any particular political system. Some people just don't want that.

Oh, I see. People like the OP require that their fantasy reading be "comfort-reading" that won't challenge them or make them uncomfortable. I've nothing against comfort-reading - I have a large number of books I keep specifically for this reason.

Yeah, he'd better stay away from Meiville, and indeed pretty much all British fantasy novels - even Terry Pratchett is more than happy to throw a little ice water in our faces now and then (Night Watch, Small Gods, Snuff, I Shall Wear Midnight spring to mind from my recent reading).

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    i actually liked his marxist tendencies intruding on the story

its always interesting to read fiction framed in an unusual way

its almost irrelevant if you disagree with it, its interesting nonetheless to see stories designed from a strongly and very nuanced marxist perspective

Agreed, it makes for a nice change of perspective

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Iriah wrote: »
    I was pretty irritated that Tycho's newspost called out Mieville for being pretentious in his writing. Pot, meet kettle.

Yeaaaaah. Whether or not I knew this or that word you could always tell what Mieville meant. Sometimes with Tycho I can understand every word and think, "But what is he even saying?"

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Options
    HazankoHazanko I don't know why I'm wasting time like this when I can absorb you right into myself.Registered User regular

I agree with all of this.

I enjoyed the book, but it left me with the feeling that everything that happened was an exercise in failure and stupidity and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. This is one of the reasons A Song of Ice and Fire rubs me the wrong way, despite its popularity - every character absolutely must make the absolute wrong decision, character traits not at all withstanding, at the exact right time in order to generate the plot. Both stories could be called "a tale of try-hards, ne're-do-wells, and fuck-ups."

Now, if you know anything about China Mieville, you know that that's kind of his point. He's from the "Real life is shit. People are shit. Worlds in books should be shit and full of shitty people because it's real! Rawr!" camp. I'm sort-of strawmanning him there, but he is part of Michael Moorecock's "The Lord of the Rings is Epic Pooh" camp. He does believe the chief purpose of literature, fantasy or otherwise, is to subversively show readers how shitty the world is. He doesn't believe in escapism very much.

I'm glad I read Perdido Street Station, and I think it rubs people the wrong way because it has a downer ending, but it does reinforce the idea that if you mess with things you don't understand, and get involved with people who are ostensibly bad, you may lose a thing or two along the way.

I, however, am not in the "Hey, man, real life is shitty so bad endings are real, man. What do you want, man, a happy ending? Real life doesn't have happy endings, man" camp. However, the ending in Perdido just fits the story, as all the characters he built are ego-driven morons, and he never portrays them in another light, unlike in aSoIaF where characters who once overthrew a king decide they must always be honorable, forever and ever, and lose all political foresight, and get themselves killed; China Mieville is a much better writer than GRRM, even if he leaves people feeling sort of pissed off at his books.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    'High Fantasy' is one of those terms that has 1,000 different meanings, depending on who you ask. 'Low Fantasy' and 'Urban Fantasy' too.

Well, perhaps not a thousand. Somewhere between two and a thousand, definitely.

I figure I could take a bear.