Options

iPhone 5 announcment today, stay tuned for all nerds posting about it all at once in here

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Stuff like this, for example

Is that a regularly clocked galaxy s3, running jelly bean, being almost 30 % faster than the Iphone 5?

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    also 779 is the S3's marketing standby benchmark and is not accurate in the sliiiiiightest

• Options
    Stuff like this, for example

Is that a regularly clocked galaxy s3, running jelly bean, being almost 30 % faster than the Iphone 5?

this would almost work as an argument except that none of the data caches on the S3 show any numbers which isn't accurate at all

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    edit: no

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    also I didn't get to finish the blog post I was writing about this

but the tl;dr is that this is a stupid pissing contest to get into for either side of the equation

the iPhone revolutionized stuff in 2007 but the industry has caught up with it. does that mean that apple suddenly needs to revolutionize again? well no, that means that picking an iPhone is now like picking any other high end smartphone

which means you're picking it because you like it better than the other ones. they're all so similarly spec'd that it's kind of negligible at this point. same reason the S3 vs One X pissing contest was dumb

pick the phone you like, they all do the same shit

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    in my opinion the iphone 5 wins a sexiness benchmark test anyday

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Dunno, the S3 is plenty sexy. I know some people say it looks "cheap", but I can not confirm that in real life
    It actually looks like a cool piece of future tech you'd see in a scifi film
    I hate putting it inside a bumper case, because of how beautiful it looks

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Do you want a screen this big or do you want a screen this big

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    th 4,8" screen was actually a major selling point for me, I love it!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I honestly think a longer iphone 4 design looks silly anyway. Full opinion is going to have to wait till I physically see one, but for right now, it's pretty set for me that the s3 has a much more appealing physical aesthetic.

Though, really, the biggest measure is the display.. The s3 has a goddamn gorgeous one, but the iphone 5 is going to have more color saturation than the 4 by 44%, so it could easily end up being just as pretty if not even moreso.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Also: do you own an iPad or Apple computer vs. an Android Tablet or any other modern personal computer?

Apple integrates better than anyone else with its own stuff for obvious reasons and if you already own apps on one operating system it's probably smartest to stick with that OS across the board.

And yes, the Galaxy S3 is gorgeous, especially in blue. Haven't seen red in person but the white one doesn't really do it for me.

I'm really excited to see the Galaxy Note 2.0 or whatever they call it.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    yeah i think it looks cheap

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options

have you seen it in real life?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Been reading reviews the last few hours. The choice between the iPad and the Galaxy Note 10.1 is going to be a tough one. Apple clearly wins with resolution and app variety but the Samsung's new technology looks like it could be really nifty at work. I need to find a place that has a demo of the Note.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options

i handle probably eight of them a day

• Options

yes, i know people with it

i didn't know it was the s3 just by looking though

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    T4CT wrote: »

do you think it looks cheap? many people told me they read so, but couldn't really verify that when they saw one. the gloss looks different from cheap plastic gloss somehow, no Idea how to exactly quantify it

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    also i got to hold an iPhone 5 today (shhh don't tell anyone)

it feels normal phone sized

I get the idea that having it stretched is weird in head concept (it was for me too) but in reality it feels fine.

if you've ever held the HTC One S you are prepared size-wise for the iPhone 5

• Options
    Messed around a very little bit with a Note today, and it was kinda neat, I suppose. But I'll probably never get an android tablet. It'll be an ipad or nothing, most likely, unless there is just some kinda insane deal going on. It'd be primarily used as a browser for home, so that added fidelity in text would be well worth it. Plus, while I've never liked the aesthetic of iOS, it's easier to navigate than android for me.

• Options

do you think it looks cheap? many people told me they read so, but couldn't really verify that when they saw one. the gloss looks different from cheap plastic gloss somehow, no Idea how to exactly quantify it

I think it looks cheaper

it's not their cheapest looking phone by any stretch and the display looks great

but I do not like the feel of the plastic in my hand for prolonged time periods (part of the reason I prefer the One X)

it doesn't help that my feeling of flimsyness from Samsung's phone backs has long been mitigated by them texturing it which I know is dumb but for some reason when I pull the back off an S3 I am sure I have stumbled upon the one defective unit that's back panel is going to snap off

it is still a very pretty phone though

• Options
    also worth noting I think the blue looks much better than the white

I am confident saying I do not like the white one at all

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    I'm entrenched with iOS due to it's ecosystem. I've spent a pretty healthy amount of money on apps over the course of several years, and while there are some things Android does better, I've never found anything that would make me jump ship.

• Options
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    I'm entrenched with iOS due to it's ecosystem. I've spent a pretty healthy amount of money on apps over the course of several years, and while there are some things Android does better, I've never found anything that would make me jump ship.

you and I, we're going places

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I'll definitely agree with how removing the back feels. Always worried I might break it, though the ones I handle are already broken in some manner anyway (cracked screens, mostly).

I definitely don't mind holding a plastic phone, but there is something to be said for the weight of some metal for sure. If we're going by straight up feel though, I've been of the opinion apple's most comfortable feeling phone was the 3GS since the 4 was released. The 4 design is a brick. The 3GS molded into your hand. Felt great.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Oh, and the hardware is so un-fiddly, which is what I want in a tiny pocket computer.

• Options

I got the white one with a semi-transparent blue bumper case, kinda like that combination

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

I got the white one with a semi-transparent blue bumper case, kinda like that combination

i could see this being ok

it is nothing against the phone i just do not like the gloss on the white one bit

• Options
    I really love that I can browse the google play app store and purchase an app and choose which device I want to send it to and install it on

and it automatically installs it on that device

this is the future

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    I'll definitely agree with how removing the back feels. Always worried I might break it, though the ones I handle are already broken in some manner anyway (cracked screens, mostly).

I definitely don't mind holding a plastic phone, but there is something to be said for the weight of some metal for sure. If we're going by straight up feel though, I've been of the opinion apple's most comfortable feeling phone was the 3GS since the 4 was released. The 4 design is a brick. The 3GS molded into your hand. Felt great.

this is acceptable

i'm still disappointed because while i think the iPhone 5 looks sexy, I was sold on that concept that was around last year before the 4S launched that showed it as basically a magic mouse

that would have been the best looking phone on the market

• Options
    I just wish they'd do something more creative with the ios home screen. There is something to be said for a lack of flashy widgets like with android's (depending on the manufacturer of course), but god damn are they attractive widgets. The straight line up of apps with salient info like time etc up top is boring by comparison.

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »
    I really love that I can browse the google play app store and purchase an app and choose which device I want to send it to and install it on

and it automatically installs it on that device

this is the future
    yeah that is really cool. I install most of my apps that way now

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    See, where I knew from the get-go that I'd be an Android man one day but in 2010 I weighed my options and chose the iPhone4 because it was honestly the best smartphone available at that time from an unbiased perspective. My upgrade happened to come-along immediately after the transition to ICS and after seeing it in action I knew it was now or never.

I'd consciously chosen not to spend much money in the App Store for that reason aside from a few must-haves like Ghost Trick.

And while I have not ever felt that the Galaxy SIII was ever "cheap" it is still made from plastic so I was heavily in favor of the One X's sturdy feel. The One X really does need a case with some grip on it though, since the smooth poly-carbonate surface is slippery like a wet bathroom tile and I managed to drop it once in the space of 3 days before my case arrived.

Luckily since the thing is made from fucking space shuttle parts the scuff on the corner of the case isn't even visible to someone who hasn't had it pointed-out to them.
    And for the record, the drop was from about 4 feet up onto hard, pitted concrete on the side of the road because I fumbled the thing while trying to whip it out of my pocket too fast and sent it flying. Not one iota of a chance an iPhone or most other smart-phones would shrug off that kind of impact unprotected.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I've got maybe $100 or so invested in apple apps, but that wouldn't stop me jumping ship to something else if the handset was clearly better

For me, the fact my it department won't let me connect my work email to my iOS email client is one of the biggest reasons for me to jump to a w8 phone

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I figure once their 4" screen starts to become the defacto standard for their phone/ipod devices they might do something interesting in iOS 7 or 8 with that additional screen real estate.

Abracadaniel on
  • Options

this is acceptable

i'm still disappointed because while i think the iPhone 5 looks sexy, I was sold on that concept that was around last year before the 4S launched that showed it as basically a magic mouse

TSE1c.png

I dunno man

I think that would make for a pretty ugly phone

• Options
    Tef wrote: »
    I've got maybe $100 or so invested in apple apps, but that wouldn't stop me jumping ship to something else if the handset was clearly better

For me, the fact my it department won't let me connect my work email to my iOS email client is one of the biggest reasons for me to jump to a w8 phone

$685 into this ecosystem and counting

I am embarrassed by the number

• Options
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Options
    Artreus wrote: »

this is acceptable

TSE1c.png

I dunno man

I think that would make for a pretty ugly phone

you are lucky that i like you 100% of the time or this would ruin our relationship forever

• Options
    Maybe. Apple is kinda all about setting an aesthetic standard and sticking with it for years. The biggest aesthetic change I noticed in Mountain Lion from Lion (in my albeit limited work experience) was they changed the background. Well, they did add the ios-like "app" list with Lion. Otherwise OSX has had basically the same look since it was OSX. (perhaps smoothing out the dock more and more each iteration, and eventually adding a brushed metal look to the windows) No reason to think they won't follow the same pattern with iOS.

• Options
    It really sucks for me because I used exclusively macs all through the 90s

I think the latest mac I used was OS 8

and then X came out and by then I had switched to windows and could never afford a mac of any kind

boooo

This discussion has been closed.