As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Job Thread] Help me hate/love my job by telling me how awesome/terrible yours is

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Fair warning: I will crash the party wearing my pirate outfit

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I've been clicking through Smart Hero's sig for like three threads now trying to find these tweets

I want in on the twit in-club

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    kickball might bring back flashbacks to being younger.

some of them not pleasant!

True dat. In 5th grade one day I slipped on home plate and fell right on my back, knocking the wind out of me.

I gotta say, that's definitely up there in "worst things that have ever happened to me".

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    I've been clicking through Smart Hero's sig for like three threads now trying to find these tweets

PAY ATTENTION

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Finally, finally taking the servsafe test tomorrow for work, which should come with a hefty (relatively speaking) raise. I've been putting it off for a while for some reason. I already know all of this stuff in order to do my job anyway.

The servsafe website sucks though and I keep not knowing which option to purchase, though I think I just found it

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    If I believe that twitter account is someone doing schtick, I can laugh at it.

If it's real opinions, then christ on a pony.

• Options
    Sheri wrote: »

PAY ATTENTION

Oh

Somehow I acquired the skill of passing over nonsense-looking posts without even noticing them

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ok so.

I think i've got my first paragraph of "hi this is me!" that I'm putting at the top of my CV.
    I am polite, professional, and personable. I desire to learn new things, and enjoy taking what I have learned and applying it directly to the task at hand. I am unafraid to ask a question if I am uncertain of an answer, but I do not ask the same question twice. I do everything in my ability to assure that quality customer service is reached in all facets of my work. I am motivated to see queries through to a positive conclusion, and able to communicate any result with empathy.

That is about the exact length it has to be in order to fit everything on 2 pages.

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Some days my job can be kind of butts

Other days I get to spend six hours crawling around engine rooms while the Blue Angels practice overhead

Today was the latter

• Options
    This has been a pretty crappy week

I am the guy from Office Space trying to stretch 15 minutes of work into a day

We were supposed to have a meeting to figure out the current goals and timeline of this project, but then boss is all "whoop, gonna be in Florida, see you in two weeks"

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Finally edited my resume, now to do my cover letter and get my references on here.

ughggghh

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Finally edited my resume, now to do my cover letter and get my references on here.

ughggghh

right there with you, Og. Right there with you.

• Options
    people I know complaining about college applications

fuck them and fuck resumes, god I hate doing this

• Options
    have you hit the minor emotional breakdown point yet, @Oghulk?

I've had two. I think.

• Options
    I have but ironically not due at all the resume

that has yet to come

• Options
    Then you are better off than me.

I think there's a dent in my desk.

• Options
    Yea if I was writing these out with pen there'd probably be some destruction, but I'm just typing them out so it's all good for now.

Just hate the process

• Options
    oh i'm typing too.

i'm also banging my head on my desk repeatedly.

Just trying to get the wording perfect, and to keep it on 2 pages.

Wondering if I should put the references with the last worked job, at the bottom of the work section, or on a 3rd page all alone.

I'm leaning towards the 3rd page.

• Options
    I think I'll throw mine onto the bottom of the second page, especially so if I have to put the resume, the cover letter, and the references into one document for upload (uploading it all to an application site for work-study and non-work-study jobs at my uni).

• Options
    I reworded some of my stuff to make it more concise and boom, i fit the references on the 2nd page.

everything fits! on two pages! without having to make too many noticeable squishes!

I shall dance now!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I have a resume assignment for a class next week.

I also got off work at 4am and if I want to go to school on time then I have to be showered by 9. It's almost five now, did the same thing last night. I felt like a zombie tonight. I really hope I wake up in time.

The upside to all this is I found my pocket knife I lost at school today? Clipped on to the bottom of the desk top I sit in my first class.

And I made good money tonight.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I sent an expression of interest in response to an advertised position, and today I got a reply from the head dude. We're going to be at the same conference next week, so he wants to have a chat (and talk about my 'weak publication record', which HAHA WHOOPS GUESS I JUST SUCK).

Which is all fine, but I don't want the job. I only applied because my contract is running out and I'm getting worried and antsy and applying to everything. Well, not everything, I'm not at that stage, but stuff that isn't really what I want to be doing.

On the other hand, I can DO the job and the location is good so I guess I'll just do my best.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    WHAT LOCATION

• Options
    Kingston ON! The Canadian one I mentioned before.

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    booo

• Options
    Man, I don't think I'd even bother with a guy who started off with "come over and we can talk about how sucky you are"

If a guy sounded like he was doing me a favor even talking to me I'd feel like the whole thing was just a waste of time

• Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    finally got my bank account to sync up with Mint.com

started setting up some goals in the financial system they got

reality is blowing its load all over my face.

gonna be living like I was back in college after PAX if I'm gonna hit the dates I want

rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Man, I don't think I'd even bother with a guy who started off with "come over and we can talk about how sucky you are"

If a guy sounded like he was doing me a favor even talking to me I'd feel like the whole thing was just a waste of time

Presumably it was a little more polite than that and sometimes constructive criticism from experts in your field is useful. Especially if your field does not have a plethora of experts.

• Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    fucking christ

Not to self: next time a meeting that starts at 9:30 runs for four hours, order a goddamn pizza or something

640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »

Presumably it was a little more polite than that and sometimes constructive criticism from experts in your field is useful. Especially if your field does not have a plethora of experts.

Seconding this. Though in academia you certainly DO meet some wankers, even the worst of them tend to give SOME decent advice, even if it boils down to "Do the opposite of what this horrible human being said do."

So good luck tynic!

• Options
    Well, I mean, I am the one applying for him to give me money so it's a legitimate point - and he's German, that kind of blunt phrasing is totally par for the course. Also one side effect of not really wanting the job so much is that I'm feeling pretty relaxed about the whole issue.

Also also I know I come across better in person than on paper so if I can actually get people to MEET with me then the biggest hurdle is over.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I just found out my new job pays twice a month (on the second and fourth Friday) instead of every two weeks like my previous job.

While this is basically fine, when I gave my two weeks at the last place I was let go on the spot, and my first paycheck from the new place was only 4 days worth. My savings are already wiped out from replacing my clutch (happened the day I was let go) and living off of what was left for the past month.

When I changed jobs and was let go, my parents offered to help me out if necessary. However I haven't had to accept that once since I moved out and I'd hate to start now, but my other option is Credit Card. Any suggestions on which is the lesser of two evils?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    How much would you be putting on the card? Would you be able to pay off the charges entirely before interest accrues? If so, then there is no reason not to just put it on the card.

On the other hand, nothing wrong with asking your parents for help filling a short term gap in income. You can pay them back once you have stable income again.

• Options
    Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    Welp, might be getting a criminal record because we accidentally bought a stolen laptop. It wasn't even from a stranger, either. Just when I started to think you could trust people.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    Some of these are old professors so nothing super athletic. I wouldn't think something more active than bowling/mini-golf. (Though I really want to play some volleyball!)

My supervisor had been toying with the idea of kickball because you don't have to be athletic in order to still have a good time. So maybe volleyball would still work? There might be too many people...

I'll have to tell her about a boat ride through Old Town. They might like that.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Is it like an orientation for new people or just a kick off the year party?

I have no idea what you have to work with but you could do a little tourney around Volleyball, Badminton and Table Tennis (they require varying degrees of athleticism but are all similar in concept and require relatively small amounts of floor space)

Have 2 or 3 of each game set up and have people break off into teams of 2 (maybe not practical, dunno how many you have) and then people keep track of their wins and you can hand out silly little awards at the end of the day (team with the most wins in one particular game, most combined wins across all 3 games, longest win streak, lots of possibilities)

But that would mean you'd need tables and nets and balls and stuff for all of those so maybe not practical at all, like I said I have no idea what you've got to work with

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    So is there a kosher way for me to email this guy and be like "are we gonna schedule this interview or what?"

It's been a week since I reminded him about it and he asked what day would be good to come in and haven't heard anything since

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    So is there a kosher way for me to email this guy and be like "are we gonna schedule this interview or what?"

It's been a week since I reminded him about it and he asked what day would be good to come in and haven't heard anything since

What was your answer when he asked what day would be good?

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular

"Hey NAME, I'm available THIS DAY at THIS TIME, how about I come by then?"

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Yep, that was pretty much what I was getting to.

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Welp, might be getting a criminal record because we accidentally bought a stolen laptop. It wasn't even from a stranger, either. Just when I started to think you could trust people.

Wait, how does that work? It is illegal to unknowingly purchase stolen items?

This discussion has been closed.