As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] The War of Art 2: Brushes covered in paint edition

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It could be worse.

They could be Dreadball models.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Crisis of faith here.

I've been thinking of switching my Marines over to 3rd company, from the 8th company I was planning. I like the red shoulder trim much, much more. So I was thumbing thru the How to Paint Space Marines book, and came across a breakdown of how many squads are in each company. The 8th company has a command squad and 10 assault squads. The third company has Command, 6 Tactical squads, 2 Assault, and 2 devastator squads. That means I could include my bike marines in the third company and repaint those shoulder pads. So... my dilemma.

If they are in the third company, would they still retain the Assault markings on their other shoulder pad? Since they're assault marines? Or would they wear tactical markings?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    By markings, do you mean the single up arrow for tactical and crossed arrows for assault and (I can't fucking remember the devastator marking)?

Those stay. All that changes is the shoulder trim. Those marking denote their squad type, and the trim denotes their company.

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    Some Warmachine stuff is pretty awful. Retribution of Duckface comes to mind. All of the old metal jacks look pretty derpy. I've liked the re-sculpts every plastic kit has gotten except for the Dire Troll, that thing is a travesty compared to the original Blitzer and Mauler.

Super curious which battlebox you got now because I'm rather a fan of everything except Ret...actually I don't think much of the Cyriss jacks either. I've been tempted to buy a Ret battlebox just to see if I can paint it in a way that would make me actually like them.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    It's the elves. I built the heavy jack and have less than 0 desire to build the others. I'm also not even remotely interested in painting them.

Kinda pulled a total 180 on that purchase.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It's the elves. I built the heavy jack and have less than 0 desire to build the others. I'm also not even remotely interested in painting them.

Why would you buy Retribution

Why would anyone

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I really like most of the Retribution models outside of the jacks. And since they don't tend to run very many jacks, it's not a big problem. I also don't think the jacks look that bad, but the studio scheme isn't great.

My first 35 points are almost finished (2 models need a matte varnish and then all the bases need a little flock) I'll try and get pictures in a few days. Would have showed them off already, but my phone's camera stopped working so I have to break out the SLR for any pics.

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    photo_zps0b256e78.jpg

Terrible iPhone pic is terrible, but I picked up some minis for Godslayer, a new games that taken off in my local store and in pretty happy with the results

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I really wanted Godslayer to be a thing at my store. Didn't work out though.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options

ah yes, the Duckface jacks. Well now it makes more sense. Take it as a challenge to paint something so wonderful everyone ignores the terrible head sculps and that weird penis thing those models have going. Actually they might look kind of cool with the heads removed and the hole smoothed over with green stuff. At least it couldn't hurt.

Their Hyperion is my second favorite looking colossus, right behind Menoth's Judicator. Just look at those shoulder pads!
    35050_HyperionWEB.jpg

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    BQ4pry8CAAAvE4H.jpg

"Finished" the turret for my Predator. I went with very harsh highlights on the black. I normally highlight black a little more subtly on my bikes and infantry but there's so much black on this tank that I went much more obvious...but I think maybe it just looks sloppy.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Crisis of faith here.

I've been thinking of switching my Marines over to 3rd company, from the 8th company I was planning. I like the red shoulder trim much, much more. So I was thumbing thru the How to Paint Space Marines book, and came across a breakdown of how many squads are in each company. The 8th company has a command squad and 10 assault squads. The third company has Command, 6 Tactical squads, 2 Assault, and 2 devastator squads. That means I could include my bike marines in the third company and repaint those shoulder pads. So... my dilemma.

If they are in the third company, would they still retain the Assault markings on their other shoulder pad? Since they're assault marines? Or would they wear tactical markings?

Technically, there's nothing stopping you using both; the 6th through 9th companies are the Reserves, and get called on to either form multi-company formations or to augment depleted companies so a combined fore of 3rd co. tacticals plus 8th co. assault squads is wholly appropriate. You could even have all your non-transport vehicles and devastators in 9th co. livery if you wanted.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Dayspring wrote: »
    BQ4pry8CAAAvE4H.jpg

"Finished" the turret for my Predator. I went with very harsh highlights on the black. I normally highlight black a little more subtly on my bikes and infantry but there's so much black on this tank that I went much more obvious...but I think maybe it just looks sloppy.

No way, the harsher highlighting works a lot better on the tanks. BUT! You have also given me ideas for when I eventually get around to doing my Pred.

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying all the retribution hate since that's also what I've picked up for Warmachine. :p
    If only they'd actually arrive in stock so I could work on painting them ...

Ah well. In other news, I've been anti-lazy this weekend and made a real push towards finishing my ISS. Tragically, I only got 5 of the 7 sealed last night, so I doubt the other two will be ready for base markings later today. We'll see though. I'm going to go finish those off right now.

• Options
    How rude of me with an actual player around.

I wish I liked the jacks more because their style of gameplay seems like a lot of fun and the fluff pushes the right buttons for me.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Crisis of faith here.

Technically, there's nothing stopping you using both; the 6th through 9th companies are the Reserves, and get called on to either form multi-company formations or to augment depleted companies so a combined fore of 3rd co. tacticals plus 8th co. assault squads is wholly appropriate. You could even have all your non-transport vehicles and devastators in 9th co. livery if you wanted.

That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. Terminators are supposed to be first company, so I'm already mixing companies, and most people who include them are. Predators and the like belong to the 9th company, don't they? I need to consult my books some more.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    goblinkinggoblinking Registered User new member

edit:
    I deeply regret being too impoverished to do the bones kickstarter.
    A buddy of mine bought into it. While just having that sheer volume of dudes is awesome, alot of the models are less than... amazing, I'll say. The detail is there, but so many weapons are perma-bent/angled weird. I'm not sure if it was a result of how they shipped it or how they manufactured them. Its kind of like how when you buy a single metal model, a weapon might be in a weird angle because of how it was placed in the box. But those problems were easy to fix. Can't really do it with the resin.

Still, having a shit load of guys kind of makes up for it

I recieved a ton of bent ones in my KS vampire box. It's like complaining about mold lines, it's such an easily fixable issue that doesn't always occur that it isn't worth even mentioning. I don't know why I keep hearing "cant fix it with resin"(this is the third time I think, 2nd on these forums). You dip the thing in hot water, bend it, dip it in cold water. This is the complicated method too, just bending them back works.

• Options
    Accualt wrote: »
    How rude of me with an actual player around.

I wish I liked the jacks more because their style of gameplay seems like a lot of fun and the fluff pushes the right buttons for me.

No worries. I more picked them out because there were a couple of warcasters I thought I might enjoy, their solo spread is concentrated fun, and their under-representation. I also think the studio scheme is lackluster, but that the general aesthetic of the units is nice even if there is something to be desired about a lot of the myrmidons.

I also forgot to note in my last post that I'm having a friend pick me up a Texico box at GenCon, so whoever was suggesting I do that (J?), it seems like you'll eventually get your wish.

• Options
    Ret looks a lot better when painted with a scheme that has actual color contrast.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I think I've decided how to paint them. I've resolved to finish building them and play at least 1 game before I call it a wash on either them, Warmachine as whole, or both.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2013
    admanb wrote: »
    Ret looks a lot better when painted with a scheme that has actual color contrast.

hymp32I.jpg

edit: and this.

GkkaTPk.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2013
    I'm also digging these yellow/gray/black ones.

4321233070_d87a332296_b.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    How would you guys go about achieving this blued steel effect/colour?
    blued-gothic-full-plate-armor-12.jpg
    blued-gothic-full-plate-armor-6.jpg
    Helmet--or-FTA---Full-Tourn.jpg

I've got a bee in my bonnet to make a bunch of 'black knight' chaos terminators, and painting black is hard. Painting black metal seems even harder.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I was thinking Panzer grey with turquoise accents still not sure on the lit parts. Maybe a flame-ish red?

Or possibly flame red accents with turquoise lighting.

• Options
    Vallejo do make a metallic black in their model air range…

As for blued steel, depends on how blue you really want, but putting down a darker metallic colour (gun metal/boltgun) and washing with a mix of blue and black washes could work.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I really like those orange/white ones. The yellow/gray/black are nice, too.

• Options
    I'm still trying to figure out the dude whose shoulder pads have their own mini shoulder pads…

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    I actually don't mind Retribution warjacks! I'm not the biggest fan of the the heads, but in general I think they're neat. By and large the Infantry are much cooler though. Especially the Dawnguard and Mage Hunters.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Painting metallic black - buy reaper adamantium black.

That is all.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    On a rather different note ...

6KyH0Ey.jpg

I may attempt to take a better picture sometime soon. I'm not entirely enthralled with that as a group shot.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Damnit @Echo ...now I really do want to get a Scyrah battlebox. Both of those paint schemes really make the army look good. I even like some of the head sculps on the warjacks after that! I would have thought that was impossible.

I wonder why PP went with such a bland default paint scheme. I understand wanting the studio scheme to be accessible even for first time painters but the Ret paint scheme isn't doing the models any favors. Of course I also wonder why they have three armies with Cy-names (Cryx, Cygnar, Cyriss) and why three armies have such similar color pallets (Scyrah, Cygnar, Cyriss). I just wonder in general.

@ArcticLancer Looks great, I especially like that shield.

Accualt on
  • Options
    @ArcticLancer Even your baller paintjob cannot save those heinous sculpts. If your sculpting skills are halfway as good as your painting skills you should get some green stuff and show those hacks how it's done.

• Options
    Accualt wrote: »
    Damnit @Echo ...now I really do want to get a Scyrah battlebox. Both of those paint schemes really make the army look good. I even like some of the head sculps on the warjacks after that! I would have thought that was impossible.

I wonder why PP went with such a bland default paint scheme. I understand wanting the studio scheme to not be accessible to even first time painters but the Ret paint scheme isn't doing the models any favors. Of course I also wonder why they have three armies with Cy-names (Cryx, Cygnar, Cyriss) and why three armies have such similar color pallets (Scyrah, Cygnar, Cyriss). I just wonder in general.

Their lead studio painter doesn't understand color theory.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Vallejo do make a metallic black in their model air range…

Why did I not know this earlier. Now I want to buy it and redo all my Haqqislam weapons to have metallic black metalwork to make them look more modern, less gamey.

• Options
    @ArcticLancer Even your baller paintjob cannot save those heinous sculpts. If your sculpting skills are halfway as good as your painting skills you should get some green stuff and show those hacks how it's done.

My abilities with green stuff pretty much extend to a high competency at crack-filling. I love your enthusiasm though. <3

• Options
    Got to agree, those are... not the best. Get onto those Texico!

• Options
    I think the real problem with the sculpts is actually the guns; the semi-organic curvy look for the armour is okay, and the proportions can be passed off as a stylistic choice (if rob liefield can still get work…) but the guns definitely need sharper edges and straight barrels.

• Options
    There are many problems and I'll be the first to admit it. Gun sizes is an observation I've made as well, but mostly regarding the booster's assault rifle (which you really can't get a feel for from those pictures). It's absolutely TINY compared to the other ISS guns (barely bigger than the machine pistol), but it's dwarfed by the scale of the CCC rifles.
    I do still think the Leader (shield), Wavefinder (right of leader), and Calypso (trident) are all better than fine. Each has a few mold problems, but I enjoy the sculpts and was really glad I had them come out okay.
    Anyway, I still hope that they some day have the ability to give the ISS a proper do-over. I'm actually curious how they'll make the remaining 4 squad members (since the ISS was their first foray into computer modeled miniatures).

As far as Texico goes, I'm having a friend pick them up for me at GenCon, so it'll be a few weeks before anything comes of that. I'll either wind up finishing a random project for a friend, or perhaps knocking out the remaining minis for Chaos in the Old World. Time will tell.

• Options
    I redid the shoulder pad trim and I think it looks much better than the grey trim. It just pops more, and ties in better with the rest of the mini.

008_zps4a053727.jpg

Also, here is my terminator sergeant so far. Just waiting on the base and the shield arm to be completed.

007_zps2e844da2.jpg
    006_zpsa18f41c7.jpg

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Oh look, InternetOh look, Internet Registered User regular
    @McGibs, A good way to get that effect would be to paint a base of P3 Pig Iron (or Boltgun Metal) and then make a wash using P3 Coal Black. The wash of Coal Black should be thing enough that the mica flakes in the Pig Iron are still reflecting light. At that point, you can eihter leave be for a more muted metal look, or rehighlight with P3 Quick Silver (sorry, I use mainly P3 stuff, so that's all my reference,) for a brighter, polished blued steel, or even do a black wash (P3 Armor Wash, Nulin Oil) for a darker look that will only have glints of metal. The key is to keep every layer other than the metal base really thin.

@valhalla130

Those look great, dude! What would you say to a quick pin wahs of a brown in the crevices between yellow armor plates and shoulderpads? It'd help the yellows pop!

This discussion has been closed.