Options

[Painting Miniatures] The War of Art 2: Brushes covered in paint edition

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    and here i thought i was being a bit creative with the purple scheme, thanks for the video, that does give me some inspiration!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    so, I just started getting back into warhammer 40k and picked up a squad of dark eldar warriors as well as the codex. I've built the warriors now and I have deemed that I won't buy another unit until I've fully painted this one, so now I have to decide on a color scheme.

Awww, you think it will actually work this way? Adorable.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    so, I just started getting back into warhammer 40k and picked up a squad of dark eldar warriors as well as the codex. I've built the warriors now and I have deemed that I won't buy another unit until I've fully painted this one, so now I have to decide on a color scheme.

well i have 3000 points or more of dark eldar already, so I really don't need anything *new* except for the fact that they are new pretty models

all of which are broken and half painted because yay being a teenager storing my army in a tacklebox!

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular

I've managed to hold strong with DV, and I'm almost done. It helps that I can't decide between starting a space wolves army (this blog is fantastic btw http://drownedinplastic.blogspot.ca/) , or starting a space marines army when the new codex comes out (either a orange/grey/black/white color scheme or a dark blue / light grey/white/black color scheme).

I'm also thinking about starting warmachine, though I may just jump in and buy cryx models to paint (i think they look awesome).

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    and here i thought i was being a bit creative with the purple scheme, thanks for the video, that does give me some inspiration!

Purple, not that original for Dark Eldar :). Not sure why purple seems to be popular for them, though, but I see it a lot.

The first scheme I did on mine was also purple, but I switched to red since I didn't like how the purple was working.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Dammit. I glued the hammer arm to my termie sgt last night only to look at it today to notice the FW shoulder pads have their purity seals all hanging one way. So I had to take off the arm to reposition it. One good thing to come out of it, the arm came off very easily, so I know I need to pin them now. Bad news, It doesn't quite fit right with the targeting system on top of the armor on that side.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Also looking for advice on primer, I usually do gw white primer, even for dark painted models because it makes the models a bit brighter, but someone had recommended trying a grey primer to me, any brand suggestions would be great!

Vallejo Surface Primer.
    The only choice, really.
    Comes in a bunch of colours now too.

Technically it's a self levelling brush on primer and is pretty damn good at that, but gets amazing results if applied with an airbrush.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    so I went to hobby town (closest place to where i live) and they did not have army painter or vallejo so I was really sad, but because the urge to paint was so great I ended up picking up citadel primer and 6 paints. This is what I've accomplished at a first attempt in over 2 years:
    1stExgs.jpg
    and a slightly more blurry photo
    ncE0b0G.jpg

apparently my phone camera is pretty detailed, the pics make it look a lot messier than it is if you look at it from a normal distance

• Options
    Oh look, InternetOh look, Internet Registered User regular
    Nice! Citadel primer isn't the worst thing you can buy, but if you can, I've used auto primer for a few years to good effect as well, and it's cheap, too!

• Options
    Took a second shot at a new warrior tonight, I think he turned out pretty well
    aphP1jD.jpg

• Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Seeing as my Bones kickstarter was delivered earlier this week, I delved into the box last night, grabbed a model and threw some paint at him. :) Pretty pleased with the results for 2 hours work.

Barbarian_zps0fd9e2b7.jpg

Khade97 on
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I deeply regret being too impoverished to do the bones kickstarter.

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Anyone have any tutorials and/or advice about how to paint trees? There are a million and one articles about weathering metal and making armour look rusty but I'm not even sure where to start with natural scenery.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I would just start out with a black primer, do a coat of a dark brown, do a drybrush of a lighter brown, and then do a brown ink for the trunk

leaves I'm not entirely sure but I would treat them how I did feathers/fur for my warriors of tzeentch, paint them dark green, dry brush a teal on the edges to make it pop a bit.

that said I'm not a terribly talented painter.

TheKoolEagle on
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Anyone have any tutorials and/or advice about how to paint trees? There are a million and one articles about weathering metal and making armour look rusty but I'm not even sure where to start with natural scenery.

How to paint some happy trees.

http://youtu.be/T3Qij24S-V4

Extreaminatus on
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »

Just buy real bonsai trees.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Another night, another model painted!
    jbmTrtV.jpg

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    Another night, another model painted!
    jbmTrtV.jpg

Nice!

I painted for 3 hours, barely got another 2 models ~20% finished. I'm so sloooow.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I spent $3 on parchment paper today to try a home-made wet palette. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who hasn't yet done so.

• Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    I spent $3 on parchment paper today to try a home-made wet palette. I would HIGHLY recommend this to anyone who hasn't yet done so.

That's what I do. Tupperware, sponge, a couple quarters to hold down the paper when it's fresh off the roll.

why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    I had never used a wet palette before. It's more about the night and day difference it makes for the paint itself. I was expecting it to be maybe half as effective as it is, but nope, I have some grey on there from 6 hours ago that I could still use if I had a reason to.
    The 'tray' I fashioned was to just cut the back off a PP blister and use it for a small, shallow dish. Paper towel + parchment = awesome results.

• Options
    Welp, I finally got off my ass and ordered an airbrush compressor.

Now to shop around for a decent-quality airbrush that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Welp, I finally got off my ass and ordered an airbrush compressor.

Now to shop around for a decent-quality airbrush that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Badger Patriot.

You're welcome.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Its been awhile since I've been in this thread or even thought about Warhammer, but this weekend I gave sculpting a go. The goal being a Daemon Prince, because that sounds like a totally easy first project right? Haven't done anything with clay past the stuff you do in 4th grade art class.

It looks pretty bad so far tbh, and I am definitely starting to understand why you don't see alot of "from scratch" mini's (or at least I don't). But I'm having a pretty good time doing it so I thought I would share my progress. This thread has given me alot of helpful feedback in the past
    b8j5.jpg
    9y3p.jpg

I'm not an artist of any sort and the body proportions are kind of fucked up, though I couldn't really tell you why. I guess the arms are kind of long. If anyone has some sweet tips, I'll take whatever I can get. Have no fucking idea how I am going to attempt hands/fingers. My friend suggested just attaching a sword or mace to one of his stubs, which I am definitely considering!

edit:
    I deeply regret being too impoverished to do the bones kickstarter.
    A buddy of mine bought into it. While just having that sheer volume of dudes is awesome, alot of the models are less than... amazing, I'll say. The detail is there, but so many weapons are perma-bent/angled weird. I'm not sure if it was a result of how they shipped it or how they manufactured them. Its kind of like how when you buy a single metal model, a weapon might be in a weird angle because of how it was placed in the box. But those problems were easy to fix. Can't really do it with the resin.

Still, having a shit load of guys kind of makes up for it

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Resin is super easy to fix. Hot water, bend it back, cold water. If it bends back after doing this, it may need a longer soak, and a few more tries as some resin has a bit of a memory to it.

The advantage of resin in this case is it does not develop weak spots, as it recures when cooled. Metal models develop lots of little stress fractures every time they're bent and repositioned, so eventually the bent area, if it happens regularly, will just fall apart.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Badger Patriot.

You're welcome.

And ordered. Hooray low dollar value! Way cheaper from Amazon US than UK, even with import fees and shipping.

• Options
    MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    I would love to try it out once you get it!

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    So, as a soon-to-be airbrush owner, what else do I need besides the obvious paints?

Any special primer? What do you clean the airbrush with?

Echo on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    No experience with airbrushing miniatures, but you might want to get some paint strainers if you haven't. Minitiure paint is obviously so expensive though, that I don't know if its worth wasting even the smallest ammount. I guess if you just keep your paints thin and clean the brush well, it should be fine. For cleaning them you can probably just run water/paint thiner through it

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Those seem wholly superfluous to me; nozzle clogs occur more because of paint drying on the needle than because of preexisting lumps, at least with water-based acrylic miniature paints.

Anyway, airbrush care 101:
    • Know Your Airbrush 1; read the manual and make sure you know how to safely dismantle it for cleaning.
    • A mild cleaning solution immediately after use, and between colours, is a lot easier than a harsh solution after everything's dried solid.
    • Vallejo make a nice mild cleaner, and badger do an aerosol harsh cleaner (basically acetone in a spray).
    • Consider a set of fine pipe cleaners/bottle brushes.
    • You will also want cotton buds for cleaning, and some toothpicks for stubborn paint.
    • Have plenty of water on hand to flush through after using a cleaning solution as the soap/acetone residue can adversely affect later colours.
    • Know Your Airbrush 2; practice controlling the flow with water on scrap paper before using paint the first time and do it again with some paint to make sure.

Airbrush primers… well there's still only one real choice for now; Vallejo again. Their Surface Primer range comes in the standard black/grey/white plus a few more specific colours and can be used unthinned through an airbrush on basically any material you're going to find in a miniature.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    LeperLeper Registered User regular
    A cheap alternative to cleaner (and thinner) for your airbrush:
    Windex.

It's similar to the Vallejo cleaner, but with some dyes and perfumes, which a good flush with water will take care of.
    It's fine as a thinner, but the dye can alter colors a bit.

Alternately, you can mix up your own without the extra stuff, and it's cheaper.
    1 oz white ammonia
    2 oz rubbing alcohol
    13 oz distilled water

I've got a couple of gallons of this stuff in my shop which will probably last longer than my desire to paint, and is handy for cleanup as well.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options
    Top 3 airbrush primers:

1. Vallejo Surface Primer
    2. Vallejo Surface Primer
    3. Vallejo Surface Primer

Also you should get some Vallejo Surface Primer.

In other news I sacrilegiously bought a Warmachine battlegroup to take it all for a spin. Pretty shitty plastic.

• Options
    In other news I sacrilegiously bought a Warmachine battlegroup to take it all for a spin. Pretty shitty plastic.

It's some sort of plastic/resin mix. Massive amounts of mold lines aside, I rather like working with it.

• Options
    Yeah I see that now. Plastic glue was a mistake, switching to super glue made a world of difference.

Shame I think the models look stupid as shit in person.

• Options
    MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    Speaking of! Here is some of my looking stupid as shit models painted:

9439017604_b9154276f9_z.jpg
    Magnus Battlegroup by magot42, on Flickr

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • Options
    Yeah I see that now. Plastic glue was a mistake, switching to super glue made a world of difference.

It's a shame you didn't go through the last page of the warmahordes thread before hand. I made EXACTLY this discovery while helping a friend with their battle box.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013

Something something your face.

:P

J on
  • Options
    J wrote: »

Something something your face.

:P

Waitwait, first we need to find out which faction he's talking about.

I mean, he could be talking about stupid-looking as shit Cygnar. :-P

• Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    Seriously though the resin/plastic PP uses is diabeetus

I'm sorry you've been coddled so long by GW's high quality injection moulded plastics that you've forgotten how to handle a little mould line cleaning :P
    Seriously though the resin/plastic PP uses is the worst kind of diabeetus. I mean urgh.

What set did you get and I will fight you over opinions.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
This discussion has been closed.