As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] The War of Art 2: Brushes covered in paint edition

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The ass armor could be either green or purple! It's all up to you!
    No it isn't.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Woozl wrote: »
    Is there anything people would recommend as a next step?

Got any pictures? Hard to say where to go when we don't know where you are now.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So i've gone from not having really ever painted to mostly completing the DV set. With the new codex coming out, I am pretty sure I am going to be starting a Storm Warden space marine army (though I may switch the color scheme a bit from dark blue / white to lighter blue / darker gray). This will be a pretty big project, and it will also be my first time working with vehicles.

I feel pretty comfortable doing sand/cork/grass bases, basic prepping gluing, priming and painting. Painting wise, I'm still using a brush for everything. I generally prime => base => wash => base => layer 2-3x => highlight. It is pretty slow but I generally like the results.

I don't have the space right now for an airbrush setup (maybe in a year or two), though it is on my mind.

I'm trying to figure out what I should learn next. I have a couple of ideas
    1. weathering pigments for when I starting making vehicles
    2. sponge weathering (for same)
    3. varnish and then using oil washes (rather than having to base => wash => base => layer
    4. more effort on posing / pinning / greenstuff
    5. magnetizing (at least for vehicles).

Is there anything people would recommend as a next step? I obviously don't think I'm ready for wet blending or anything. I've been watching videos on all sorts of techniques, and up until now, self directed learning has been great. However, right now I just don't know what I should be trying next. Thoughts?

If you have a hold on your paint style and like the results, I guarantee wet blending wont be as hard as you think it is. Greenstuffing to modify a mini is a great way to customize, I'd personally go that route. Also nothing wrong with only using a brush to paint.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular

So far

forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/27435410/#Comment_27435410

forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/27298222/#Comment_27298222

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    So the compressor is at the post office ready for pickup, and the airbrush should arrive from Amazon this week.

Guess I should pick up some Vallejo surface primer too.

• Options

So far

Ah those. I blocked them out because you make awesome look effortless and it made me mad at myself. Screw you, man. Do you have any suggestions for us? Because god damn.

I don't know, start weathering or something and make us all feel bad about how we do that. grumble

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular

So far

I'm going to echo Keenbean.

I'd just suggest picking something you want to do next. I'd add two-brush blending to your list, it can be tricky to get a hang of but the results can be really impressive.

But weathering is a great skill to have for vehicles, and being able to customize models really makes things stand out, so it really is just whatever you want to do :).

• Options
    WoozlWoozl Registered User regular
    *blush* thanks all, since a tac squad is next on the list I'll give greenstuffing a go. I'll also look up two brush blending, haven't seen that one before.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I think those models looks excellent. With my meager skills, I would have nothing to add to what has already been said.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    I cant remember if I posted this conversion before I painted it (I don't think I did). Wasn't a fan of the Dreadknight so I did a little kitbash with a VenDread - I know the post isn't the most dynamic but I am pretty pleased with the end result.

GreyKnights-Dreadknight_zpsc0ce476e.jpg

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I honestly think the pose is the only thing you can complain about. I saw another one of these on coolminiornot a week or two ago and basically thought the same thing. It's a really good job overall, Khade.

• Options
    *blush* thanks all, since a tac squad is next on the list I'll give greenstuffing a go. I'll also look up two brush blending, haven't seen that one before.

TBB is Privateer Press' house style, so you can see it on a lot of the Warmachine/Hordes models. Basically you apply a line of paint on the model, then quickly swapping to a separate damp brush (most say that licking the brush is best) and move it back and forth on the new paint to get a smooth blend. The hardest part is getting the right thickness on the paint, speed at switching brushes, and the right dampness on the blending brush.

There are several really good articles and a few decent videos out there. I gave it a try, my dark colors came out ok but my highlights were awful. I'm going to try it again once I get caught up on painting.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Couple questions I didn't see mentioned in the OP.

I see people showing WIP's of their mans, and in these pics their mans are on top of a bottle or paint jar or some such. Now I get that they are stuck to the jar to give a bigger surface to hold as opposed to the tiny base, and thus make painting easier, so my questions are these: What is the substance used to stick the mans to the lid? How do you get it off? Where would I buy some (in the US)?

Next question. This is I realize probably personal preference, but I would like to see peoples opinions and why, the pros and cons, etc. Say you have a squad of 12 dudes. Do you paint them individually one by one? Or do you do like, all of the first base coats. Then all of the second coats, etc?

Appreciate any and all input. Thanks to you fine gentlemen in advance.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    edited August 2013
    1. whatever you can find that works. I tried sticky tac for like posters on walls and it didnt work great. YMMV.

2. You are going to want to learn how to do assembly line painting, where you paint a specific part on each mini on 12 minis at a time, if you want them to be uniform. So like, prime all at the same time, then your first coat on a major piece on #1,2,3... then the next piece that is another color on #1,2,3...

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    HexDex wrote: »
    Couple questions I didn't see mentioned in the OP.

I see people showing WIP's of their mans, and in these pics their mans are on top of a bottle or paint jar or some such. Now I get that they are stuck to the jar to give a bigger surface to hold as opposed to the tiny base, and thus make painting easier, so my questions are these: What is the substance used to stick the mans to the lid? How do you get it off? Where would I buy some (in the US)?

Next question. This is I realize probably personal preference, but I would like to see peoples opinions and why, the pros and cons, etc. Say you have a squad of 12 dudes. Do you paint them individually one by one? Or do you do like, all of the first base coats. Then all of the second coats, etc?

Appreciate any and all input. Thanks to you fine gentlemen in advance.

1) Blu-tac is what I usually see as attaching the guys. Usually office stores will have it or something like it - it's also used to stick posters or paper to walls. Peels off relatively easily, if a bit sticky - it's kind of clay-like.

2) Depends on the squads. I may paint a single member fully, to ensure my desired scheme looks good, but otherwise I'll usually paint the same colors on models across a squad. Means I open paint bottles less, the unit looks consistent if I have any mixes or washes, and I find assembly line painting gets squads done faster. Solos or three-man squads get painted individually.

• Options
    Indeed, I simply use sticky-tac, which is the stuff you often see holding posters up (other than push pins). It's white, and I bought it about 7-8 years ago at Staples. Since it's reusable, I still have over half the original package still unused. >_>

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    Oh. And another question, heh.

Glue. What glue do you guys use? The normal super glue tubes is driving me crazy with how quickly it clogs up, etc etc.

There has to be a better way.

I am a newb. Sorry fellas.

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I just use regular super glue. havent had issue with clogging, but as you get further into the hobby youill be sure to have pins/other devices to unclog them anyways.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

This is exactly what I use and I love it.

• Options
    LeperLeper Registered User regular
    Loctite gel is the shizz-niddle-bam snip-snap-snap.

Also: If you want to be all OCD about it, then PIN EVERYTHING. It's astoundingly easy to do with plastic, paperclips make for easy to find pins, and a small set of snips and a cheap pin vise set won't set you back much. You can also lightly score the plastic at the joins for additionally good adherency.

The additional bonus is that tightly fitted pins will allow you to pre-assemble the model to a certain point and play around with poses before you finalize it with glue. You can get poses that are a bit more dynamic, and a quick mark across the join with a fine tipped pen lets you ensure you'll get it lined up right when you apply your adhesive.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options
    MagoMago SwedenRegistered User regular
    I find that assembly line just feels like a chore to me. Probably because I usually over complicate things, paint too many layers etc.

If I keep it between 1 and 4 models it's quite different. That way it really feels like I'm making progress and I'm inspired to keep on painting.

Trying to paint stuff since 1995.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I tried painting 20 skaven assembly line style once and it was so dull holy shit
    2-3 at a time for me
    However I have very few painted armies so don't follow my advice

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    LeperLeper Registered User regular
    I kinda split the difference.

I'll set aside 10-12 models to paint at once, paint one step on 2-4 at a time, followed by my attention/interest shifting to something completely different for a while, then move onto the same step on the next group.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I ran out of my thin brass rod last night, so I'm out for pinning at the moment, and I have 4 terminators to pin to bases. I was able to get enough to pin their arms though.

My daughters go home to live with their evil non-step mother tomorrow, so I'll either get a lot done soon, or just lie around in the fetal position crying.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Mago wrote: »
    I find that assembly line just feels like a chore to me. Probably because I usually over complicate things, paint too many layers etc.

If I keep it between 1 and 4 models it's quite different. That way it really feels like I'm making progress and I'm inspired to keep on painting.

Yeah, I do Tyranids 3-4 at a time. When doing the simpler paint jobs on Termagants it's enough time for the first one to dry so I can start the next stage on it.

Also, picked up the airbrush compressor today. Still waiting for the rest of the stuff (airbrush + hose) from Amazon.

• Options
    by "thin brass rod" you mean paper clips, right?

• Options
    edited August 2013
    I don't always assembly line paint, but when I do I try for 5 at a time.

It almost never works out.

Dr_Keenbean on
  • Options
    More Sternguard, more terrible photos!
    BRtwr8zCEAIQ2Hy.jpg
    BRtwzg-CcAAP0KW.jpg

and the unit so far
    BRtw72jCIAEu_FO.jpg

At this rate they should be good to go by the time the 7th ed marine book drops

• Options
    Now you gotta finish something!

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    I'm only sad that I'm likely not going to be able to put Lysander in their drop pod with them anymore D:

The overwhelming awesomeness of their unit is helping, though.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Now you gotta finish something!

I can't. I'm literally out of things I can paint. I don't want to do my Warmachine stuff right now because the league restarts next month ...

• Options
    Nothing to paint? Surely that's impossible?
    t Tox, how about putting them in a Crusader or a Redeemer?

• Options
    Why the shit can't they all fit in a drop pod? Drop pod seats 12.

You could also have them ride in style in a stormraven or storm eagle.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    New book drop pods are back to 10.

Not gonna put a shooty unit in a choppy unit's ride. That's just silly.

TraceofToxin on
    Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    ...you could drop the squad down to 8 men too. Just sayin!

• Options
    Party AlbatrossParty Albatross Registered User regular
    edited August 2013
    I lurk in here an awful lot - thought I would share a Demon Prince I just built and painted:

Before:
    barebones.jpg

... and after:
    WIP-Prince.jpg

Party Albatross on
    www.frostedminis.com - Hobby Blog - Mini's, Art, Etc.
  • Options
    sweet

• Options
This discussion has been closed.