As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Red Dwarf] Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas. ... Whatever!

1789101113»

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    "I wonder why it’s “Mayday?” The distress call. Why d’you say “Mayday?” It’s only a Bank Holiday. Why not “Shrove Tuesday” or “Ascension Sunday?” Ascension Sunday! Ascension Sunday! The fifteenth Wednesday after Pentecost! The fifteenth Wednesday after Pentecost!"

• Options
    "This isn’t dog food. It’s a piece of prime fillet steak in blue cheese sauce. It’s been charcoal broiled in garlic butter, and it's going to taste delicious. Delicious. Delicious."

*swallows*

"Well, now I know why dogs lick their testicles... it’s to take away the taste of their food."

• Options
    Lister: "Nothing is more important than a human life..."

Rimmer: "What about your guitar?"

Lister: "...except my guitar."

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    "This isn’t dog food. It’s a piece of prime fillet steak in blue cheese sauce. It’s been charcoal broiled in garlic butter, and it's going to taste delicious. Delicious. Delicious."

*swallows*

"Well, now I know why dogs lick their testicles... it’s to take away the taste of their food."

It's the opening of that scene that sells it. "You can take that look of your face like I'm doing something disgusting. I'm just trying to stay alive"

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

*swallows*

That scene cemented me and my brother's 13- and 10-year old selves' belief that this was the greatest show ever made.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Shakey1245Shakey1245 Registered User regular
    "Now..."

- Richard III, William Shakespeare

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Shakey1245 wrote: »
    "Now..."

- Richard III, William Shakespeare

"That's all I can remember. That brilliant 'Now...' speech, 'Now... something something', unforgettable."

Jazz on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Yeah. I will watch Marooned and Polymorph next. Maybe, I will watch Backwards.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Backwards is about a bunch of guys who show up, get into a fight and then clear up a space ship wreckage before flying into space.

• Options
    I have seen Backwards way too many times. I may skip it.

I am tempted to watch the first two seasons even though the novels cover most of it.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Backwards is a brilliant example of Penrose's theorems. One of my former professors actually used it in a lecture once.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Marooned is done. I may switch to watching Twisted Metal and IT Crowd.
    The menus on the IT Crowd dvds are brilliant. Video game themed.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    "Alright, smegheads! To infinity, vindaloo, and beyond!"

ryv0wv2ouza8.jpg

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Marooned is done. I may switch to watching Twisted Metal and IT Crowd.
    The menus on the IT Crowd dvds are brilliant. Video game themed.

The IT Crowd as a whole is brilliant. As was Father Ted. That's why I think it's so sad what Graham Linehan became. One of those cases where it's better to separate the art from the artist.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Black Books is one I'd definitely toss into the ring there, especially if you haven't seen it before.

• Options
    I managed to miss that one, let's see... *googles* Dylan Moran, Tamsin Greig, and Bill Bailey? Yup, I need to check that out.

• Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Black Books is definitely Moran's brainchild.

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    If we're making this kind of list, a little Green Wing feels appropriate too (especially if you've seen Episodes, the one with Matt Leblanc playing himself), as another Tamsin Greig & Stephen Mangan show of the same era (with Olivia Colman for good measure amongst a ton of others).
    Also Episodes, as one of the most recent shows that have perhaps the same vibe that seems a little less common now, almost a capstone on that type of UK sitcom with the premise being converting that kind of thing for an US audience.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    Wow. The Red Dwarf novels pretty much blow The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy out of the water. The writing is way better. You can tell the writers are more literate than Douglas Adams.