Options

[Dota 2] This week on Dota 2: Brood update, unreleased hero texture work, and PRD.

• Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    Buff EVERYONE.

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    new drow ult is sweet

• Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    new drow ult is sweet

Why?

Former lvl 16 was +60 agi constantly

This is +40 agi against enemy heroes +80agi when killing creep.

This is also 5 less agi than pre 6.75 drow.

It's interesting but it's a nerf.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »
    Armlet now needs 2 seconds to be used again, Page is weeping.

It used to be 5, so still better than that.

Boots nerf is weird. Did Bane really need to be able to wake himself from nightmare?

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    makes him a lot more useful.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
    - Hookshot now pulls Clockwerk to allies instead of getting blocked by them

Clockwerk is now competitively viable.
    This is like the original Storm Spirit Ulti but waaaaaay better.

EDIT: Hell this is so good as to be overpowered.
    Peewi wrote: »
    Armlet now needs 2 seconds to be used again, Page is weeping.

It used to be 5, so still better than that.

Boots nerf is weird. Did Bane really need to be able to wake himself from nightmare?

Now he can sleep himself to dodge spells.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Sicarii wrote: »
    new drow ult is sweet

Why?

Marksmanship:
    =============
    Passively provides bonus agility. If there are no nearby enemy heroes, your focus improves and the bonus agility is doubled.

Bonus Agility: 20/30/40 Agility
    AOE: 375 (for double bonus)

Drow has 625 range. At level 6 when smaller scale engagements are more likely, you can potentially have 25 agi over the old skill.
    This also lets you push towers way faster earlier.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    new drow ult is sweet

Why?

Marksmanship:
    =============
    Passively provides bonus agility. If there are no nearby enemy heroes, your focus improves and the bonus agility is doubled.

Bonus Agility: 20/30/40 Agility
    AOE: 375 (for double bonus)

Drow has 625 range. At level 6 when smaller scale engagements are more likely, you can potentially have 25 agi over the old skill.
    This also lets you push towers way faster earlier.

Aww that is significant. Encourages kiting.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    This may interest those in the Drow discussion.
    iQ9K0.jpg

That's Drow with a Helm of the Dominator for the Alpha Wolf, Luna for the Lunar Blessing, Magnatuar's Empower, Bloodseeker's Blood Rage, and Lycanthrope's Howl.

Carnarvon on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    amazing how quickly you get used to Dota2 graphcis.

• Options
    Carnarvon wrote: »
    iQ9K0.jpg

That's Drow with a Helm of the Dominator for the Alpha Wolf, Luna for the Lunar Blessing, Magnatuar's Empower, Bloodseeker's Blood Rage, and Lycanthrope's Howl.

I'll say! That is a terrible team line-up.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    iQ9K0.jpg

I'll say! That is a terrible team line-up.

Until Drow picks up a Buriza and crits you for 3k.

• Options
    BigKevBigKev Registered User regular
    Sniper got pretty massively buffed.
    Sniper
    - Assassinate cast range increased from 1500/2000/2500 to 2000/2500/3000
    - Headshot procs cannot be evaded (the entire attack gets through)
    - Headshot chance from 25/30/35/40 to 40
    - Headshot damage from 30/45/60/75 to 15/40/65/90
    - Headshot ministun from 0.01/0.1/0.2/0.2 to 0.25
    - Shrapnel provides vision in the targeted area
    - Shrapnel cast range increased from 1200 to 1800

Steam ID : BigKev87
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    iQ9K0.jpg

Pretty sure VS would've been a better pick than Luna if they wanted to show off a bigger number.

E: Wait, Alpha Wolf probably doesn't stack with that.

Alacrity from full Exort Invoker is better though and would make the lineup slightly less terrible. Slightly.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Why can't Sniper just...go away. Stop trying to make him competitively viable Icefrog.

• Options
    What's wrong with Sniper. He's been in the game since like forever.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Does this make me cool? The rapier was my first item after armlet.
    529AABE1DBF763F8DB82E28462A6D170EFC47784

• Options
    That PA did not farm well.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    He's a dumb hero.

• Options

Rubick was mid, so yeah. Two double melee carry lanes.

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    He's a dumb hero.

Like you don't like his kit? You're opposed to the thematics of the character?

Sniper was my favorite mid way back in the days when items like hyperstones were just...items by themselves rather than recipe components.

god this game has changed a lot.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »

Rubick was mid, so yeah. Two double melee carry lanes.

Rikis the only good choice out of any of those 4.

Incidentally he did the best.

Sladar needs some buffs, that hero is trash.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    bad opinions lol

i wish icefrog would stop going buff crazy.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Just thought I'd post that between the fact that Steam seems to have given everyone an additional key and PC gamer giving out keys I currently have 2 DOTA2 keys to hand/trade out. Feel free to PM me with steam details if you're interested.

Also I agree with Sniper, he's just irritating to play against.

This patch gives me mixed feelings from what little I play now a days. On the one hand they've made PL have more Agi gain which is awesome (and really, really fun) on the other hand, they broke my Naga's silly early game damage.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Just thought I'd post that between the fact that Steam seems to have given everyone an additional key and PC gamer giving out keys I currently have 2 DOTA2 keys to hand/trade out. Feel free to PM me with steam details if you're interested.

Also I agree with Sniper, he's just irritating to play against.

This patch gives me mixed feelings from what little I play now a days. On the one hand they've made PL have more Agi gain which is awesome (and really, really fun) on the other hand, they broke my Naga's silly early game damage.

Pretty sure you are looking at the old patch there, PL just got reduced collisions size in this one.
    P10 wrote: »
    bad opinions lol

i wish icefrog would stop going buff crazy.

There quite a few nerfs in there as well, almost all of the staple early-to-mid-game heroes got some nerf.

Tide, Jakiro, TA, Venomancer, Rubick, Dark Seer, Chen and Batrider.

It is just that the big changes and skill reworks stand out more.

• Options
    yes but the nerfs are always minor tweaks (or scaling back massive buffs in the case of like, batrider)

and the buffs are hugenormous

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    If anyone wants an invite PM me. First come, first served.
    P10 wrote: »
    yes but the nerfs are always minor tweaks (or scaling back massive buffs in the case of like, batrider)

and the buffs are hugenormous
    Some heroes need hugenormous buffs to be more than a niche pick.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    if you just buff everyone forever you wind up with power creep, and i def. feel dota has a power creep problem

i guess it's a natural consequence of peoples' attitudes - they hate to see their favorite heroes nerfed, and surprise surprise, people like the top-tier heroes

• Options
    Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    You need to buff heroes BECAUSE there's power creep. Otherwise some of your early designs are going to be rendered completely useless due to the newer heroes being significantly better.

I mean, if you could completely avoid power creep that would be swell, but I can't think of a game that managed to do that. Even chess pawns got buffed.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Brilliance Aura buffs? Thank God.

Loving the Lina buff too. Laguna Blade's CD was just ridiculous for a single-target 450 damage nuke when you look at other abilities that had 90sec CD.

Exorcism buff is fun times, though I'm not really sure it was necessary.

Also, I don't even care if Ice Path is OP, let it be so for a bit. Old Ice Path was so rubbish that Jak deserves some time with a hella strong Ice Path to make up for it.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    This just in, tag team mode owns and phantom lancer's model collides a bunch less. Drow also owns now.

Edit: Skewer having a bit of AI behind it makes me a happy magnocerous.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    You need to buff heroes BECAUSE there's power creep. Otherwise some of your early designs are going to be rendered completely useless due to the newer heroes being significantly better.

I mean, if you could completely avoid power creep that would be swell, but I can't think of a game that managed to do that. Even chess pawns got buffed.

Which would be why you nerf the best heroes and not buff everyone.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    khain wrote: »

This may just be me, but from a game design perspective I'd much rather see a buff-oriented approach that encourages making every hero strong and fun than a nerf-oriented approach that encourages making every hero equally weak.

I honestly don't think "power creep" is that big a problem for a game like this so long as hero balance relative to each other remains the same. Power creep is a problem for TCGs and miniature wargames because typically you can't easily go back and make older stuff competitive on a regular basis. That's not the case for video games.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    Centaur new ult is so hilariously wonderful that words fail me; that looks sure to be nerfed, so enjoy it while you can. Drow's true shot aura is buffed hugely with regards to usefulness for the team.

Meepo aghs buff is nice.
    Mags buffs are fine by me, I like Mags
    Sniper buffs are pleasant. Headshot always having the same chance of proccing and having max duration is very useful, and shrapnel giving vision is something I always thought it would do.
    Treant Protector needs buffs? Oh well, he gets some.
    Force Staff nerf was inevitable. I'm glad that the force functionality wasn't changed in any way, instead the stats are replaced with regen and an expensive recipe is tacked on so it winds up being less cost effective.

Wide-ranging nerf to boots speed is interesting. Base boots being 10% cheaper but losing 10% of their movespeed, and then having the -5ms propagate to all recipes makes me wonder about it... probably the goal is to make everybody get boots faster, and make everybody slightly less able to get away from chasers/carries that have slightly higher base ms?

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    I don't really see how it would make it harder to escape. The chasers lose exactly as much movement speed from this change as everyone else. Other than if someone has boots of travel, the difference in movement speed stays the same.

• Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Right, but it does take a bit longer to reach the same safe ground. Indirect AM blink buff!

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    oh hey with boots being cheaper, maybe it becomes a more viable choice to pick as startitem? you could get at least a tango+salve now.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    khain wrote: »

This may just be me, but from a game design perspective I'd much rather see a buff-oriented approach that encourages making every hero strong and fun than a nerf-oriented approach that encourages making every hero equally weak.

I honestly don't think "power creep" is that big a problem for a game like this so long as hero balance relative to each other remains the same. Power creep is a problem for TCGs and miniature wargames because typically you can't easily go back and make older stuff competitive on a regular basis. That's not the case for video games.

Strength of a hero is completely relative, and I don't see the link between strong and fun unless you're saying that it's fun to have a better hero than everyone else which is true, but it's not fun for the other team. My main complaint about power creep is that it generally makes the game faster which boosts the power of stuns which are already strong and makes the game much more about twitch timing than strategy, of course there's also a problem on the opposite end where if you nerf everyone to much the game turns out to be to slow. I'm not necessarily sure dota has either problem at the moment, but I think the critical moments in the game have definitely gotten shorter over time, especially if you look back at WC3 dota.

• Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    carmofin wrote: »
    oh hey with boots being cheaper, maybe it becomes a more viable choice to pick as startitem? you could get at least a tango+salve now.

no you can't, 603 - 450 - 90 - 100 is negative 37 gold

19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    nealcm wrote: »
    carmofin wrote: »

no you can't, 603 - 450 - 90 - 100 is negative 37 gold

Uhhh did I type Salve? I meant a clarity potion...

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
This discussion has been closed.