Options

Skyrim: Now with realistic horse vaginas! Dragonborn DLC out 12/4.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    It's also a sorta catch-all potluck of fantasy races and environments and kind of an excuse to have an adventure.

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, but I would have at least appreciated Serana telling me

"Man! The dwemer? They were fucking weird. Go check out Blackreach if you don't believe me. They have a mother-fucking dragon gong sun sphere down there. Weird."

Or at least how this goddamn sundial shrine works. I have never been able to actually do anything to it, on any character,

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    GalyGaly Registered User regular
    normally i don't read any of the books, but this one caught my eye and it's actually a good read

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Palla,_Book_I

mustache w/ hat c|:{
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    A lot of the books are pretty good. Every now and then they have a decent plot, like the Dark Brotherhood in Oblivion. The writing is generally precisely as good as it needs to be to get you to go on a heroic quest, which is what it's trying to do. Everyone acts like this game is trying to be Planescape fucking Torment when it's transparently trying to be a game where you slay dragons by shouting at them.

• Options
    Morrowind had some nice bits of dialogue, interesting lore and a few deeper characters to make up for the dirty little secret that it was kind of a shitty game.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    The best part of these games is always robbing the armor off people and then putting it on and killing them.

• Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    morrowind was not a shitty game

i will fight you

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    no, morrowind was absolutely a shitty game

today you can compensate for it somewhat if you know how to mod it right
    but it was a crummy videogame then, and it's a crummy videogame now

missmissmissmissmissthwackmissmissmissmissmissmissmissmissthwackmissmiss

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    if you chose the right race and skills, and weren't fighting without stamina, that didn't actually happen after the first day of playing

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    If you have to put "the right race and skills" as a prerequisite, something is wrong.

• Options
    hey now
    it was called fatigue in those days

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    it tells you what the right race is for the character type you want at character creation

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    daggerfall was butts, too

• Options

i will fight you

It was absolutely a shitty game. The setting was great, the game was a fucking walking simulator

• Options
    i did take athleticism as a major skill

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Tube wrote: »

i will fight you

It was absolutely a shitty game. The setting was great, the game was a fucking walking simulator

That's not fair

It was also a sleeping simulator.

orthanc
  • Options
    and apparently had a +15 bonus because i was a redguard

also +15 to long blade

maybe you guys should have chosen redguard

3926 4292 8829
    *おなら*
  • Options
    There has to be a middle ground between skyrim where you're a non sleeping terminator and morrowind where if you played a Mage you spent ninety percent of your time catching a fucking snooze

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    daggerfall was butts, too

in exciting ways, though

in morrowind, combat was kinda boring and frustrating
    in daggerfall, sometimes your objective is made completely inaccessible due to the nature of the randomly generated dungeons and your only option is to use the console

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Dagger fall was the best shitty game in the history of time. The next twenty years of elder scrolls game were spent working out how to get back to what dagger fall did.

• Options
    Fucking iPad

• Options
    You have to love an r p g where the prevailing theme is '"welcome to daggerfall. No one gives a fuck about you or ever will."

It's a game where I genuinely once went to a tavern to have a drink and work out how the fuck I was going to pay my mortgage.

• Options
    yeah I really don't give a shit how important or influential a game is if it isn't any goddamn fun

and people like to say "oh well it's from the early nineties, it was fun then"

to which I say, fuck you

fun is not a natural resource that people only learned how to refine in the last ten years

motherfucking Doom is still fun

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I had more fun with daggerfall than probably any game since. Different strokes. It wasn't even important or influential, like ten people remember it.

Tube on
  • Options
    You have to love an r p g where the prevailing theme is '"welcome to daggerfall. No one gives a fuck about you or ever will."

It's a game where I genuinely once went to a tavern to have a drink and work out how the fuck I was going to pay my mortgage.

that sounds awful! why would you want a game that simulates the worst elements of real life?

• Options
    here let me see if there's a mod for The Sims that makes your wife nag you constantly

or one for Skyrim that gives you cancer

• Options

that sounds awful! why would you want a game that simulates the worst elements of real life?

Because in real life the solution isn't to become a vampire assassin.

OR IS IT

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Because in real life the solution isn't to become a vampire assassin.

OR IS IT

Yeah, about that. your guidance councilor has been trying to get in touch.

orthanc
  • Options
    thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    My computer was so awful when I played Morrowind that I had to have a book to read so I'd have something to do during the load screens. It made everything that happened in the game, even the things people hated, much more interesting by comparison.

• Options
    why would you want a game that simulates the worst elements of real life?

because the repeatedly stated intent of the elder scrolls games is to provide a world in which a player can submerge themselves and just live a life, and daggerfall did things in that regard to a breadth and scale that bethesda is only just now catching up to

admittedly I've only ever played a few hours of daggerfall and know very little about it, but jeez, the stuff I have heard

I mean
    an extremely complicated faction and reputation system
    holidays
    daedra summoning, involving specific days and conditions
    bookstores and libraries
    fucking banks where you can deposit money (because gold has weight), get loans, get letters of credit, buy houses, sell houses, buy and sell ships
    get a horse and wagon to carry all your stuff
    lycanthropy that works off the phases of the moon
    the list goes on

stuff touted as big features in skyrim? stuff like the radiant quest system and having NPCs send hired goons after you and suchlike? daggerfall already did that

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    guys, the eat just about anything werewolf perk is aces.

I just spent like two days hunting through the whiterun hold killing imperial soldiers, bandits, bears, sabre cats, mammoths, and just about everything else i could kill. I have to ask though, outside of the one perk is there a way to raise what the howl will work on? cause, giants are hard to fight as a werewolf, i would much rather scare them and chase them down.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Blaaaargh. I finally got SkyRe to work, but equipping a crossbow makes my stamina steadily decline. Apparently this is a common issue with the Dawnguard version. So far this is the 3rd character I've played through the opening with.

About ready to fucking give up on gameplay overhaul mods.

THESPOOKY on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I still had more fun with Morrowind's combat than Oblivion's

Fucking can not deal with how long it took to kill an enemy

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    august wrote: »
    Do they ever specify just how long she was under? Because it seems like a, uh, a really long time. Time she wasn't necessarily unconscious for.

I'm pretty sure she's waking up when she comes out of the tomb. She dosen't know about the Empire, so she at least predates Tiber Septim.

Even longer than that
    the dragon in the Soul Cairn says that he made a deal with the Masters for power in the dragon's land grab or whatever, and the deal was to look after Serana's mom, so they had to have been alive when the first dragons were

Zay on
    sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    all 161,600 square kilometers of Daggerfall were goddamn nuts

It is the epitome of size over polish, and I can see why Bethesda would want to step back from that since it's nearly unplayable today

but it's still a game I can step back and appreciate, if not actually play

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    guys, the eat just about anything werewolf perk is aces.

I just spent like two days hunting through the whiterun hold killing imperial soldiers, bandits, bears, sabre cats, mammoths, and just about everything else i could kill. I have to ask though, outside of the one perk is there a way to raise what the howl will work on? cause, giants are hard to fight as a werewolf, i would much rather scare them and chase them down.
    i believe the fear totem boosts its efficacy

it's never going to be very high, though; i'd be surprised if the level cap ever topped 30

that said, giants are actually really easy to fight as a werewolf

the werewolf power attacks will knock them flat just like anything else, and they can't do a thing while they're on the ground

• Options
    I had more fun with daggerfall than probably any game since. Different strokes. It wasn't even important or influential, like ten people remember it.

daggerfall absolutely holds a special place in my heart

i fondly remember staying up late with a friend, all the lights in the house turned off, exploring some random dungeon and being on the edge of our seats because we just know there's going to be a mummy right around the corner about to kill us

daggerfall was the first PC RPG i ever played and i've been hooked since

• Options
    i can't remember even doing a quest in daggerfall

just hours upon hours of exploring the countryside and dungeons

and maybe a bit of shoplifting

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    At the time, I thought that Morrowind was an absolutely fantastic game. However looking back, I can see that the game completely relied on the atmosphere. I was blown away by the setting the game had.

I've tried to play it again recently, and it's just...boring, sadly.

Unfortunately Oblivion managed to be boring, and have terrible atmosphere. Great graphics, terrible artwork.

Problem with Skyrim is that, while it's pretty as hell, after awhile, I got tired of clearing out dungeon-vampire-ruins #54. Granted according to steam that took about 150 hours, so I think it served it's job as a game well.

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    reminder that Oblivion looked like this

OB-npc-Vampire_Mage_Female_02.jpg

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
This discussion has been closed.