As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So Livestrong might now have a new meaning. (Armstrong busted)

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    It's not the act of doping itself though. It's the years of hubris-fueled denial and the usage of any means necessary to silence his accusers. If Livestrong suffers it's Lance's fault because he used it as a shield and his overcoming illness as an excuse to treat people like shit.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    You don't get to take out your frustrations with your dog shitting on the carpet with cancer victims because said cancer victims are wearing a t-shirt with your dog's breed on it. That is not your dog's fault for shitting on the carpet that is your fault for reacting inappropriately.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2013
    No, Butters is absolutely right. It sucks, but Livestrong is Lance's baby and as a result is tarnished by his bullshit. That's just the way it is. Also, Lance is hardly a dog that doesn't know any better.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »
    No, Butters is absolutely right. It sucks, but Livestrong is Lance's baby and as a result is tarnished by his bullshit. That's just the way it is. Also, Lance is hardly a dog that doesn't know any better.

Yes, their mascot being a scumbag tarnishes their reputation, but that has nothing to do with the actual work they do and it is not okay to go after them because of Lance.

Just because that's the way the world is doesn't make it right.

• Options
    edited January 2013
    It's not like there aren't other avenues in which people can donate to cancer awareness and research. If people choose to exercise their right to seek another charity they feel is more worthy of their disposable income I don't see a problem with that. Being judicious with whom you are able to give to is the nature of private charity.

If 11% less Livestrong bracelets are sold while 11% more pink NFL souvenirs are sold that's Armstrong's fault.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Walt wrote: »

Yes, their mascot being a scumbag tarnishes their reputation, but that has nothing to do with the actual work they do and it is not okay to go after them because of Lance.

Not mascot, founder. He's not just an animated pretend gecko that appears in the ads. He's a real person who did some really shitty things and started the whole organization. You keep making completely inept comparisons.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Walt wrote: »

Yeah, it kind of does? If Armstrong were related to Livestrong the way that athletes are related to the Wheaties box you would have a point, but he essentially is the company and vice versa via their own advertising brand. That's how they present themselves. And they will collapse probably due to his actions because of it.

That doesn't mean they didn't and don't currently do good works, it's just the risk they took in branding themselves in that fashion. Someone else will take their place and do the same thing with a different brand soon enough.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2013
    Armstrong could have done the right thing and distanced himself from the charity as things got worse, but he needs it for the PR. I mean, look at Child's Play. G+T made it, but have been pretty wise about getting some distance so that their silly drama bombs don't hurt it.

A duck! on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There are other avenues through which I can donate money to cancer research and that is what I'll be doing in the future. While I respect the Livestrong organization, I have no respect for Lance Armstrong and I will not give money to anything that might have a positive effect on his life.

If it were the only cancer charity available that would be different but it's not. I have options and I will choose to exercise those options as a direct result of Lance Armstrong's behavior.

• Options
    We be impassin' here, so I'll drop it. I don't agree that Lance's involvement in the organization is damning towards it, and I don't agree that his current role in Livestrong amounts to anything. At the same time I fully understand why you would not feel the same way I do, especially given that Lance's story was instrumental in selling the Livestrong image and that Lance was the founder.

He dug a deep hole and he dug it by screwing people over. I don't feel the need to spare any pity for him, even though I think its a shame that it might be damaging in the very short term to the community of cancer survivors and victims.

• Options
    There are other avenues through which I can donate money to cancer research and that is what I'll be doing in the future. While I respect the Livestrong organization, I have no respect for Lance Armstrong and I will not give money to anything that might have a positive effect on his life.

If it were the only cancer charity available that would be different but it's not. I have options and I will choose to exercise those options as a direct result of Lance Armstrong's behavior.

And the folks that do the good work at Livestrong will likely have options themselves should the organization continue to suffer.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Its probably also worth noting that Lance Armstrong officially has no capacity with the Livestrong Foundation anymore.
    On October 17, 2012, it was announced that Armstrong had chosen to step down as chairman of the foundation in the wake of the doping scandal surrounding him.[5] On November 12, 2012, it was further announced that Armstrong had resigned from the board of directors effective November 4. [6] On November 14, 2012, it was announced that the Lance Armstrong Foundation had dropped Armstrong's name and would henceforth be known as the Livestrong Foundation.

Anything that is really mentioned about "the yellow moat of charity" from November forward is basically just obfuscation not born from a shred of truth.

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    New evidence has come to light.

lance-armstrong.jpg

This has just been one huge misunderstanding.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    ImperatorXXVImperatorXXV Registered User regular
    I've been saying Lance doped for a long time now, ever since the evidence piled up on him. Had a few acquaintances who vehemently denied it and would hear none of the evidence against him.

If I was a jerk I'd go neener neener neener in their faces right about now.

r7r7a0.gif
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Larlar wrote: »
    New evidence has come to light.

lance-armstrong.jpg

This has just been one huge misunderstanding.

I knew that was a hairpiece! Personally I would have went with one without the receding hairline look.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I always knew his heavy rug use would end up burning him in the end.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    KetBra wrote: »
    I always knew his heavy rug use would end up burning him in the end.

I hope you are crushed by a pile of weights for sprouting such a ridiculous pun. You might be out of the loop, but we don't cotton to such nonsense.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    booooooo

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
  • Options
    I've been saying Lance doped for a long time now, ever since the evidence piled up on him. Had a few acquaintances who vehemently denied it and would hear none of the evidence against him.

If I was a jerk I'd go neener neener neener in their faces right about now.

I choose to believe this was an intentional pun.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    cyclingnews.com/news/u-s-government-rejects-armstrongs-dollar-5-million-offer-in-whisteblower-case
    CBS News reports that Armstrong has offered to pay the U.S Government more than $5 million dollars and also cooperate as a witness in the investigation. The channel claims that its sources say that the government in turn rejected "both offers as inadequate."

• Options
    The Onion took advantage of recent headline news to remind me via email they too sell inspiring products:

5045.jpg

http://store.theonion.com/p-5045-cheat-to-win-bracelet.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cheattowin&utm_content=

• Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    My boss is going home tonight to get drunk and burn everything Armstrong related. He adored that dude and is pretty broken about it all. Not to mention he's spent and donated a ton of money over the years because of him.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Butters wrote: »
    The Onion took advantage of recent headline news to remind me via email they too sell inspiring products:

5045.jpg

http://store.theonion.com/p-5045-cheat-to-win-bracelet.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=cheattowin&utm_content=

I kind of want one of those now.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    You could also be more sincere and dopey: bikepure.org/store/store_band_bundle.html

band_bundle_main.png

Gotta have your sconces.

• Options
    zNTZj.jpg

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's official. The interview started airing, and in said interview Lance officially admitted to doping for all 7 Tour de Frances he participated in and won. He claimed he didn't think it was possible to win without doping.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    My issue with him isn't really the doping. It's the building of his empire on his success and how he treated others. He didn't just dope and win races, he became a national hero and spoke person for hard work and perseverance...and it turns out he was a cheating dick the whole time.

• Options
    Didn't help that he ruined the lives of everybody around him who was just telling the truth about what he was doing.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    It's official. The interview started airing, and in said interview Lance officially admitted to doping for all 7 Tour de Frances he participated in and won. He claimed he didn't think it was possible to win without doping.
    Sweeney is he crying? I have money on this.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Blake T wrote: »
    Sweeney is he crying? I have money on this.

Nope. He's been as calm as can be, openly admitting to doping all the time except in 09 and 10 when he claimed it really mattered, so of course he's not that bad right lol

I see where that Oprah quote about how unexpected this confession was came from though. As much as he's admitting to, he's admitting to about himself so far. He hasn't straight up implicated anybody, or anything like that.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Can we forget the idiotic idea that taking drugs means you don't have to train hard?

Most athletes who take drugs do it so they can train harder.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    yeah, that idea is mostly wrong

that pitcher who got busted did it so he could get back to doing his job sooner

• Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    lance is right, though

he couldnt have won without doping

the whole sport is filthy

VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Not gonna lie

Totally bought one of those Cheat to Win bracelets

• Options
    Sir Headless VIISir Headless VII Registered User regular
    edited January 2013
    lance is right, though

That doesn't really excuse the way he treated the people he sued, called names in the media and generally attempted to ruin the lives of in the times since.

Sir Headless VII on
    Steam - Backpack - Bnet: SirHeadless #1154
    7KEFduI.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    lance is right, though

while the sport may be filthy, i very much doubt every single professional cyclist who ever won a thing ever did it with drugs

that one guy with mutant lung capacity, what was his name

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Aquaman?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    No wait, Namor?