As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

City of Heroes or Villains or Rogues

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    Yeah, they wrote a whole fake goodbye letter from him. He wasn't still in space at that point, but he was in quarantine after returning. And they tried to forge this whole narrative where he departed voluntarily, instead of being fired, so they could deny him his stock options.

The sheer levels of illegality that sounds like is astronomical.

To the tune of $28 million.

He was in quarantine after his space-venture when they pulled this stunt. They called him, said yo you're terminated and to make it all the more, just like, god damn man, they forged the letter and his initials in order to make it look like he voluntarily left the company so that he would loose his stock options with NCSoft.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah, they wrote a whole fake goodbye letter from him. He wasn't still in space at that point, but he was in quarantine after returning. And they tried to forge this whole narrative where he departed voluntarily, instead of being fired, so they could deny him his stock options.

The sheer levels of illegality that sounds like is astronomical.

ayyyyyyyy

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I'm always floored whenever I remember that.

Like, did they just think he wouldn't fight back?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    near as I can tell their thought process is usually: "lol who gives a fuck"

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall in that meeting. Just to see how the idea came up.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall in that meeting. Just to see how the idea came up.
    "I'M SO HIGH RIGHT NOW."

• Options
    edited March 2017
    What is funny/ironic is their whole "master plan" was executed with the idea that he wouldn't be able to defend himself, what with him being in space and all. However it was that very fact that ended up screwing themselves. Since, "Yo I didn't write this. I was in space at the time." is a pretty solid alibi.

Axen on
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »
    What is funny/ironic is their whole "master plan" was executed with the idea that he wouldn't be able to defend himself, what with him being in space and all. However it was that very fact that ended up screwing themselves. Since, "Yo I didn't right this. I was in space at the time." is a pretty solid alibi.

That's almost comic book villain levels of evil combined with idiocy.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Who would've thought NCSoft was Arachnos irl.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That's giving them way too much credit. They're more of like, The Monarch from the Venture Bros.

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »
    That's giving them way too much credit. They're more of like, The Monarch from the Venture Bros.

The Monarch comes up with beautifully elegant plans though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PefCeWiuj9E

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    i'm pretty sure their legal team looked into things and determined that in space nothing is illegal

• Options
    i'm pretty sure their legal team looked into things and determined that in space nothing is illegal

Like being in international waters, only straight up. Right? Makes perfect sense.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    technically space is governed by maritime law and is considered international waters, legally

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    technically space is governed by maritime law and is considered international waters, legally

I learned that from watching The Martian!

Edutainment!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    "Why is the CoX thread active again!?"

*catches up*

This is the worst April Fool's prank ever.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    "Why is the CoX thread active again!?"

*catches up*

This is the worst April Fool's prank ever.

Activates time mirror

3ttajz.jpg

/hide

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I only got to play CoX for a little bit before the end, but it was great. Pretty much anytime I play an MMO, I'm seriously disappointed that the level of customization is nowhere near as deep.

If they ever make another superhero mmo, I definitely think player-created content is the silver bullet. No matter how good the story or the raids are, at some point you'll want to make your own stories with your own hero, with more tools at your disposal than the chatbox.

• Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    You need a lot of quality control on that though. So much dev time on curated tools, so much curation on the end result ... we've seen what happens if players can just make whatever.

• Options
    community ratings are usually good enough to weed out the bullshit

• Options
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    I only got to play CoX for a little bit before the end, but it was great. Pretty much anytime I play an MMO, I'm seriously disappointed that the level of customization is nowhere near as deep.

If they ever make another superhero mmo, I definitely think player-created content is the silver bullet. No matter how good the story or the raids are, at some point you'll want to make your own stories with your own hero, with more tools at your disposal than the chatbox.

I don't want to come off like an advertisement, but Star Trek Online has a very robust character creator as far as avatar appearances go, though it loses out substantially on the selection of powers to CoX.

With the ability to modify the appearance of not only your character but the whole bridge crew gives a lot of flexibility, and you can easily swap out crew members equipment (or just different crew members) for your away teams.
    Ship customization is available too, but is rather limited. Choose from 3 saucer sections, three hulls, three nacelles and a dozen or so paint patterns for the most part.
    bowen wrote: »
    Depends on how you define bullshit though. Are power level missions bullshit? Cause I remember the CoX community loved that long rectangular map just filled with green hamidon things for powerleveling.
    Or are you trying to weed out bad (or offensive) writing on missions with actual stories?
    I'd be worried that a group of people might tamper with the rating systems just because they can. Just imagine some group of trolls organize themselves to upvote or downvote certain maps because they think it's funny.

• Options
    me personally? I try not to tell people how to have fun in their video games

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »

I don't want to come off like an advertisement, but Star Trek Online has a very robust character creator as far as avatar appearances go, though it loses out substantially on the selection of powers to CoX.

With the ability to modify the appearance of not only your character but the whole bridge crew gives a lot of flexibility, and you can easily swap out crew members equipment (or just different crew members) for your away teams.
    Ship customization is available too, but is rather limited. Choose from 3 saucer sections, three hulls, three nacelles and a dozen or so paint patterns for the most part.
    bowen wrote: »
    Depends on how you define bullshit though. Are power level missions bullshit? Cause I remember the CoX community loved that long rectangular map just filled with green hamidon things for powerleveling.
    Or are you trying to weed out bad (or offensive) writing on missions with actual stories?
    I'd be worried that a group of people might tamper with the rating systems just because they can. Just imagine some group of trolls organize themselves to upvote or downvote certain maps because they think it's funny.

Heh, preaching to the choir, my friend- I've been playing STO since open beta.

That's actually where a lot of this comes from. I know a lot of people make up their own backstories for their characters in any mmo, and I think the next step for the genre is giving players the tools to bring that into the game. Seems like that would be a more natural fit for a superhero game than anything else.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular

I think Champions Online (their follow-up when they started a new company or some such... I forgot the exact history) has a fantastic creator. A good step forward from their CoX tools. The ability to apply things to only one side of the char, and to have stances and all that jive, really added a lot. Plus the color options for powers was something I yearned for in CoX.
    Shame the game itself is sort of bleh. But man do I have a lot of cool characters that I never play!

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I really, really hate the art style CO goes for. Everything looks like the world's cheapest plastic toy.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    I really, really hate the art style CO goes for. Everything looks like the world's cheapest plastic toy.

Agreed. Though, I will say it helps a ton to turn off the default black outline setting. Makes it look a little less plastic-y.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Everything in Champions Online has this really campy, goofy, pun-riddled tone to it

I can't take the lore, setting, or RP seriously like i could with CoH

CoH had its goofyness but for the most part had the general tone of, y'know, comic books

Whereas Champs just feels like a spoof of superhero stuff

• Options
    Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    i got a hit with an ad that got me super excited.

The return of a hero and then something called MXM.

That was at 12am before bed.

It is now 4am for me and .... i am very upset.

i was in for CoH from the beta!

sigh

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    kafziel wrote: »
    You need a lot of quality control on that though. So much dev time on curated tools, so much curation on the end result ... we've seen what happens if players can just make whatever.

The problem is you need a Company that is behind user created content and support it from day one through the full game live.

As an example on how not to do this I would pick Neverwinter Online another Cryptic Game. This game got so much potential and in the first few weeks it was quite promising to live up to the name. We could create content, players would play them no matter if it would have a story or not. Cryptic did not deliver enough content in the first place so UGC was a excellent alternative.
    The company did even have live streams every week about the game and some of the player UGC missions got even featured from the devs on a weekly base to stand out even a little more.

So what did go wrong?

The tools were OK, it even got one big upgrade that allows you to 3D edit but over time as Cryptic released more content for the basic game less and less updates were added to the UGC. So as the game ages, we did have less and less access to new items/npc/map that you could add to your own missions.

The problem was twofold. One side the dev tools where subpar, one of the STO devs did explain this once in a podcast, that you could not simple copy some code and then flag it for the UGC, it was way more complicated(points to CoX), so much that this simple task would require multiple steps and some "dev" time to do so.

The other side of the coin was that they found no way to monetize the UGC. For the own content the poor solution was to add repeatable missions/dailys that would give you some specific rewards to strenghtn your char so the could milk the player over and over. For the UGC it got worse and worse with the breath of the chinese PWE behind them.

The users that created the content did have a few problems. From lack of basic scripting, however we try to work around it like for timer you created npcs far outside of the range of the player and then kill them off, e.g using a npc patrol pattern that run over traps. To have no controll over the rewards that a player would get at the end. Comments like why did I recive the wrong item from my class to no loot at all, where always fun. This part got even worse after the killed the daily rewards for doing UGC content. Up to not having boss encounters, a solutuion from the players was to throw more mob groups into the battle but power creep and limited number of resource added up. In the end even the editor would not work for several weeks or even for some month.........

I could write for a few hours over it but lets finish it. Players can compensate only so much for missing tool before the run out of options. In my last mission I created on a open map a full 3D dwarf mine that would allow more then one way from the the outside to inside of a mine all the way down to the abyss (refused to use the same old stadard maps, 1 year in) with a custom difficulty slider and a few moral choices that would change the outcome and design of the map, it got featured like 3 others missions.

I don't care if some make powerlvl content, have used them myself in CoX more then a few times but IF the devs don't have a zero Idea what to do with the user content in the first place (e.g. missing dev tools/lack of rewards) plus don't offer support in the long run (points to Perfect World Entertainment) and even kill it or should I write put it on life/legacy support because the could milk the players with endless repeating daily mission better then instead of letting them try out thousands of UGC mission....

tricon on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    The devs behind Champions just seemed terribly embarrassed to be caught making a super-hero game.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Aren't they the same devs that did CoX?

Or does Cryptic just leave a path of broken skeleton crews whenever they bounce to a new ill-conceived mmo?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

Or does Cryptic just leave a path of broken skeleton crews whenever they bounce to a new ill-conceived mmo?

Some of the original CoH team left to do CO, including the original lead dev, who really wanted to license the Champions property in the first place and sort of accepted CoH as a compromise. But a lot of the original team stayed, and most of the game's strongest content came well after the split.

That original lead also bounced out of CO to work on Star Trek Online, leaving behind a team who were clearly less into the Champions setting than he was.

Desert Leviathan on
    Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    Champions was originally supposed to be Marvel. However Marvel backed out of it part way through leaving the devs to scramble. Probably why the game doesn't have, uh, "heart" I guess is the best way to put it.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Ahhhh, yes. Vague recollections percolating here.

That explains why the game is a tin man, yeah.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    The customization in CO was amazing enough to keep me playing for a while, and I really liked the way I could modify the controls to play like a third person action game with reticle aiming. I had one guy with snow and ice powers recolored to look like sand and glass, with an alternate strength mode with a different hulked out sand monster costume that I could switch to with a button press. Not very min/maxed, but it was pretty cool.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I think what bothered me most about champions was the whole thing had what looked like a vaseline smear across it. It was just hideous to look at compared to CoX's clean, straight lines.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular

Some of the original CoH team left to do CO, including the original lead dev, who really wanted to license the Champions property in the first place and sort of accepted CoH as a compromise. But a lot of the original team stayed, and most of the game's strongest content came well after the split.

That original lead also bounced out of CO to work on Star Trek Online, leaving behind a team who were clearly less into the Champions setting than he was.

Actually, not a lot of the original team stayed. Not a lot of anybody stayed. Once CoV and I7 were out the door, and everybody got shuffled off to Champions, City of Heroes was left with a staff of 15 people. Some of the top devs were still on it but almost everybody was moved off, and most of who was left around to be in charge were second or third rank people who were suddenly put in charge of departments when the department heads moved on to what at the time was Marvel Universe Online.

• Options
    I didn't join on to CoH until after the original staff split, but once they did, the game started getting a lot of quality of life / modernization updates from Paragon Studios. Things like buff timers and the like. From where I sit, sure, the original staff set the ground work for a good thing, but the staff that remained / carried it on molded it into something way better. That's the staff that I care about most; the ones who were present the day they found out, along with all of us, that NCSoft turned into a bag of dicks.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    If there's one thing that CoH's devteam always did right, they was that they took their own setting fairly seriously in the worldbuilding department. You could entirely believe in the setting. They took the time to add the city plaques and even bugs got changed to amusing world info, like that one "Rikti phenomenon" with the NPC civvies running in circles over that building basement enterance...

It all had a really SOLID feeling to it. Real pity that the tabletop RPG didn't get to pan out.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    cr1tikal takes a look back at Paragon Chat, and shittalks the spiritual successors
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qqz5KtXYhM

Not much to this for vets, just cool to see a popular youtuber even mention the game nowadays