Options

[DayZ Standalone] Early Access now available on Steam

• Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Axen's Short Survival Guide (That is, the guide is short, not your survival. . . although yeah, that's probably going to be short too):

As mentioned on the last page, but just to reiterate. Turn up brightness and gamma and then turn HDR either all the way up or all the way down. Not positive how HDR works with standalone, so just try each setting to see what looks best. This will basically give you Ghetto Nightvision (point of fact, it is actually more effective then NVGs :| ).

DO NOT USE YOUR FLASHLIGHT! I know, I know. World be all dark 'n shit, but trust me, for anyone with the slightest bit of experience they will see your light and come hunting for you. Hell, even I get a murder-boner when I see a light in the distance.

Can't tell if griefer or just another survivor: Generally (at least in my experience) griefers don't bother looting corpses and will often lay in wait for you to return to your corpse just to kill you again. So if you head back to where you were killed and your stuff is still on your corpse, just walk away. Or if you're feeling ballsy, try hunting down your would-be murderer for some sweet, sweet vengeance.

While I suppose it can come down to personal preference whether you shoot on sight (I highly recommend you do) just don't be surprised or outraged if the survivor you spared comes back and kills you. Caveat is that if you feel pretty darn confident they have no idea you are there and you do not want to fight you can just sneak away. However, make sure you sneak far away. Don't just go to the other side of town or something.

This one might not need mentioning, but for the sake of redundancy I'll mention it. If you come to an area with numerous survivor bodies laying around in the same general area there is probably a sniper nearby. Just turn around and go out the way you came. Doubly so if many of the corpses still look to have gear on them.

Don't test your luck with ladders. They are (and pretty much always have been) deathtraps. Actually death would be more welcome then the two broken legs ladders generally give.

GET OFF THE COAST! Everyone spawns on the coast. Now people don't spawn with beans like they use to, but it is still a common hunting ground for griefers and not to mention lousy with jumpy, paranoid newbie survivors.

Stay out of the cities. Specifically Cherno and Elektro. They may seem like awesome scavenging spots, but their proximity to spawn points means they are the first places many new survivors head towards. And with squishy newbie survivors come griefers looking for a cheap thrill at your expense.

The Northwest Airfield. This one is a bit odd in that (once again in my experience) the more people on the server the less likely there are to be people there. Mainly because everyone just assumes that everyone else must be there. However all the times I've been to that airfield with only a handful of people on have been the times I got attacked. Whereas when I went with 40 people on the server I had the place to myself. :P Not saying this is a stone cold fact, just saying don't be too worried about heading there when the server is full.

Keep your head on a swivel. In case you are completely new to ArmA/Dayz you can hold down ALT to look around while still running in whatever direction you were going.

**Clouds move west to east, at least in ArmA II and the DayZ mod. Will confirm later.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    VedicIntentVedicIntent Registered User regular
    Welp, looks like a character wipe with the new patch. Farewell, cool stuff. :(

6BE1519149DCB5A3874C9935F38718B31B433A9B

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Re: The character wipe

So, in addition to the blood packs being crazy, you also should disinfect them first or you might get sick.

If you do get sick, you should eat until you are full, drink lots of water (not so much that you puke), and keep your energy up by resting often and not sprinting everywhere.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    So guys, do we have a crew rolling together? Are we going to make this thing a thing again?

Most importantly, will we get another suicide bus together and roll out, as it were?

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Patch 9.4 Notes:
    Sickness now cured by "antibiotics" item

Patch 9.5 Notes:
    Failure to check expiry date on antibiotics item packaging gives moderate chance of further sickness
    Antibiotics must be taken following injestion of food to prevent low chance of stomach ulcer formation, giving further sickness

Patch 9.6 Notes:
    New "Choking" mechanic
    After taking antibiotics, they must be washed down with a drink to prevent high chance of choking
    Injesting food at too high a rate will induce choking
    Currently no cure for choking condition, will lead to death in one minute

Patch 9.7 Notes:
    Choking now curable via Heimlich Maneuver (selectable with Use command on another player's body).

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I don't know what's real anymore.

Fake Patch 12.241 Notes:

Players are now required to poop at least once a day, pooping requires a shovel to dig a hole.
    Not pooping results in death.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Suriko wrote: »
    Patch 9.4 Notes:
    Sickness now cured by "antibiotics" item

Patch 9.5 Notes:
    Failure to check expiry date on antibiotics item packaging gives moderate chance of further sickness
    Antibiotics must be taken following injestion of food to prevent low chance of stomach ulcer formation, giving further sickness

Patch 9.6 Notes:
    New "Choking" mechanic
    After taking antibiotics, they must be washed down with a drink to prevent high chance of choking
    Injesting food at too high a rate will induce choking
    Currently no cure for choking condition, will lead to death in one minute

Patch 9.7 Notes:
    Choking now curable via Heimlich Maneuver (selectable with Use command on another player's body).

Now you are just being silly
    They would never make antibiotics cure all sickness, only bacterial infections.

Also, you forgot Patch 9.8 which adds diseases that are resistant to the antibiotics in the game.

Handcuffs might be the best addition to the game. People actually listen to you when you tell them to come out of the house with their hands up, because there is a chance they will make it out alive. There are still plenty of people that shoot on sight, or will try to kill you when you handcuff them, but it's still a big difference from the mod.

Also, PUBLIC SERVICE ANOUNCEMENT
    Sometimes after you die, your mic will broadcast to the entire server. It does this without you pressing the push to talk button. It will also broadcast what other people are saying in your skype/teamspeak/vent. As far as I know, you have no way of knowing that you are broadcasting when this happens. END PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    BeornKBeornK Registered User regular
    General observations on standalone.
    New map is much improved... :)
    Still getting the hand of the new inventory. It seems like shovels (and I assume rifles) go into a shoulder slot when not in use. Things like the crow-bar or bayonet need a inventory slot. You need to not place stuff in this slot while your using the item or it will get lost when you switch what you have in your hands.

If your an old dayzer I suggest you hop on now. The game still has that "new map smell". Dayzdb has a top down map but no loot spawns. I'm digging the exploring aspect.

So spots for loot you might have skipped: Car trunks, garages (really easy to search). Stores were pretty sparse. Some of the high rises had gear but I'm not sure how impt it is. (High rises are slow to loot) Oh soda machines spawn low end food, soda (obviously) but also fruit? Also some loot doesn't show up in the new vicinity tab field, but can still be grabbed via the mouse wheel.

Combat doesn't seem terribly different although the current focus on melee weapons is nice. There are guns but they are much less prevalent. Stabbing a person took a really long for them to die though the blood spray was impressive. If you are in melee and they have a weapon out get the bleed started and hang back...

Blood bags/blood type. The thing to do seems to be to have someone draw your blood while you are healed up, and then you carry the bag for later when you get injured. Damaged bags have a chance of infection... (Rocket wants to make us all sick)

The food and water burn rates seem REALLY high at the moment. I'm hoping they get tuned down alot. I shouldn't have to drink 3+ soda, water from a pump (pond water?) and a canteen in the course of a few hours. The canteen holds multiple drinks so that cool. I didn't consider it when I was purifying water, but I bet you can combine canteens...

Bare in mind I've only really played at night time but the zombie threat is really minimal right now. The AI has them generally just chilling in place. I did manage to draw agro a few times when I was careless but rarely got attacked. I got jumped once in the back of a store so they did detect me and move in. Was maddening trying to get my bayonet out.

Oh, the player base seems like it has a lot of *new* players. I've never seen so many flashlights...

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    FYI, you can use sterilizing spray (looks like a Windex bottle) or alcohol tincture to clean stuff like rags and IV equipment, which should help reduce the chance of infection. The rags I tried it with went from "ruined" to "pristine" so their damage state reflects cleanliness more than repair level.

Trask, Cap, and I were trying to meet up last night in spite of how shitty it is to play at night. They seem to have tweaked the graphics settings to make things a lot darker, even with gamma cranked. That might be why so many people are using flashlights.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Trask, Cap, and I were trying to meet up last night in spite of how shitty it is to play at night. They seem to have tweaked the graphics settings to make things a lot darker, even with gamma cranked. That might be why so many people are using flashlights.

What's the day/night cycle? Is it 24 hours?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    imperialparadoximperialparadox Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah I still couldn't see yesterday with the gamma turned up.

So is the lack of loot common in the mod too? My first character with all the kickin' gear eventually went unconscious, and my new person can't seem to find anything. I've been living on pond water, and out of fifty houses searched I've found a pair of plyers.

I know it's a survival game, but I think it should be tuned to where if you are actively devoting time to finding food you should come across something. I see the food searching to be more the catalyst for coming across other players - just slowly starving by yourself gets kind of lame at times.

Unless I'm missing something, and you can open refrigerators? You can't, right?

Also, I really wish you could bust up all the house furniture you come across to make a club.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo Network ID: imperialparadox | 3DS FC: 2294-4029-6793
    XBL Gamertag: Paradox3351 | PSN: imperialparadox
  • Options
    CapsaicinCapsaicin I asked my 2 y/o son to draw a pic of my German mom, and thats what we got. Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm having a very hard time getting loot that I want. I really want a firearm of any kind, but have completely lucked out. I searched the military base and airfield near Balota, nothing. It was completely picked over. I traveled to the military base NW of the same air strip and it also had no weapons. Some decent medical equipment, but no firearms. Also, if you want one of those 35 slot backpacks, that seems the place to be. There are 2 small barracks/dorms on the premises and they seem to spawn there.

It's just me and my trusty bat for now. Also the sound of eating uncooked rice makes me cringe. LOL.

This game needs less military weapons, and more civilian stuff. Like .22LR pistols, revolvers, and rifles and .410 shotguns.

capsaicin_zps254b275f.png
  • Options
    Capsaicin wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm having a very hard time getting loot that I want. I really want a firearm of any kind, but have completely lucked out. I searched the military base and airfield near Balota, nothing. It was completely picked over. I traveled to the military base NW of the same air strip and it also had no weapons. Some decent medical equipment, but no firearms. Also, if you want one of those 35 slot backpacks, that seems the place to be. There are 2 small barracks/dorms on the premises and they seem to spawn there.

It's just me and my trusty bat for now. Also the sound of eating uncooked rice makes me cringe. LOL.

This game needs less military weapons, and more civilian stuff. Like .22LR pistols, revolvers, and rifles and .410 shotguns.

One of the things I really look for in a good zombie survival game is a lack of military weapons. Left4Dead was good, but surviving the apocalypse isn't going to be about running around with assault rifles and tons of ammo. State of Decay did this pretty well, they broke down all the ammo into calibres, there's no "ammo refill".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    f3rret wrote: »

What's the day/night cycle? Is it 24 hours?

It seems to be a real-time 24 hour clock. The problem is that the servers look like they start at 00:00 when they reboot, which left ALL the servers in nighttime after the patch; the same thing happened on launch night. Servers periodically reboot, which leads to some variation between them after a few days.

@imperialparadox I think that's a function of the loot tables not being fully worked out and the fact that zed/loot spawns are tied to server restarts. If you're on an old server instance, a lot of the common loot spots will be picked over completely. I'm sure it's something they'll eventually iron out, but kinda sucks.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Man I'm way out of practice with this game. I hopped onto a server and it was dark as all hell, the gamma/brightness trick didn't help things.

I couldn't even figure out how to turn on my flashlight. I would walk into a building to loot, but it would be so dark that I couldn't possibly see wtf I was doing.

I just laid down in a bush and logged off.

There a guide for default button mapping or just for noobs in general.

Hell I couldn't even remember how to vault over a fence... :(

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options

I always find shotgun shells, but have never seen a shotgun. I think those would be invaluable, since accurate shooting is hard in this game and most dangerous encounters take place inside 15 yards or so. Even if you don't kill someone outright, getting hits easier will screw with a bandit's aim and make them panic.

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    To use your flashlight, you need to drag the battery over it and attach it. Them you assign it to a slot at the bottom. Then you equip it followed by turning it on with the mouse wheel menu or pressing your use key twice (remember to press space bar to bring it up in front of you).

Good ol' DayZ. Unintuitive as fuck.

Also, vault is V by default.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    Also what other actions/emotes can you do/bind other than "Flip the Bird". I gotta figure that one out!

F1 - Salute
    F2 - Surrender
    F3 - Sit/Rest
    F4 - ???
    Fn - ???

• Options
    Also some tips for newbies:

a) Immediately tear up your shirt into bandages. You don't need a shirt without storage and you might need the ability to stop your bleeding. Bandages can be cleaned with the disinfectant cleaner or the alcohol tincture.
    b) Avoid the roads where possible. Use powerlines and rail road tracks to navigate.
    c) Avoid using your flashlight as much as possible. This saves the battery and prevents you from getting spotted by other players.
    d) Try to get off the coast ASAP. Those towns will probably be picked clean and might be crawling with griefers.
    e) Water is life. Water bottles and canteens can be refilled at ponds and water pumps. You must have the item in your hand to fill them.
    f) Using melee weapons is awkward but effective. Fight in 1st person mode. Don't hump your target (keep some distance). Aim for the head to knock them over and continue to hit while they get up. Swing from the weapon lowered stance (spacebar to switch between the two).
    g) If you have the ability to take blood but don't know your blood type, just take some of your own and save it to use on yourself. Taking random blood/blood types can kill you (i don't actually know the process/items required to do this so if anyone has tips, please lemme know)
    h) Food/drink will fill up your food or water meters (hidden duh). Some foods will also reduce your water (uncooked rice, cereal) level as they are dry goods.

Do we have a PA secret password to prevent us from killing each other accidentally? If not we should. I know we all don't play on the same VOIP system and if we run into each other on a server, we might want to have a way of identifying ourselves. Like a call/response prompt.

Aggressor - Pee ay
    Target - WANG!
    (safe)

Aggressor - Pee ay
    Target - Huh?!
    (shoot)

• Options
    BloodycowBloodycow Registered User regular
    Going to need a running password too.

So when I run down the street screaming one word over and over again as a horde follows me :)

Gotta be something more creative then the Army ones we use.

" I am a warrior, so that my son may be a merchant, so that his son may be a poet.”
    ― John Quincy Adams
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Also important: you start at about 30% hunger and thirst. Keep eating food and drinking water/soda until you get a message about your stomach being full. If you keep drinking/eating after you get that message, you'll throw up.

And remember, kids: Don't drink the disinfectant.

• Options
    It's sounding more and more like I should buy this at the next Steam Sale.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Also important: you start at about 30% hunger and thirst. Keep eating food and drinking water/soda until you get a message about your stomach being full. If you keep drinking/eating after you get that message, you'll throw up.

And remember, kids: Don't drink the disinfectant.

drink disinfectant if you get sick.

It'll clean all the bad things out of your body!

• Options

Oh look, Steam Sale. :D

steam_sig.png
  • Options

The chances of dayz going on sale just 4 days after it was released in a alpha state are slim to none.

If it does go on sale I'm sure there will be rioting and firebombs thrown at valve offices.

• Options
    Buttcleft wrote: »

The chances of dayz going on sale just 4 days after it was released in a alpha state are slim to none.

If it does go on sale I'm sure there will be rioting and firebombs thrown at valve offices.

Especially because it's sort of already on sale. The price is only going to go up as they move through development and release.

• Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Last night, running with Beorn and Axen, I found a headlamp. In theory, a cool device. In practice, not that functional. I could not find a way to toggle the lamp without opening my inventory. Also, its focused slightly below your reticle, instead of straight ahead.

Also, it was quite amusing watching Beorn beat a person to death in the dark while Axen and I watched with flashlights focused.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

Especially because it's sort of already on sale. The price is only going to go up as they move through development and release.

Knowing this seriously has me considering buying the game right now; if I didn't know Rocket was subject to some truly insane notions of "fun", I think I would've pulled the trigger already, even if I didn't plan on playing anytime soon.

• Options
    Ratsult2 wrote: »

Knowing this seriously has me considering buying the game right now; if I didn't know Rocket was subject to some truly insane notions of "fun", I think I would've pulled the trigger already, even if I didn't plan on playing anytime soon.

Its really fun, but its also a real alpha.

So if you are the kind that gets miffed everytime the game does something it shouldn't do, then I would stay away.

If you are the kind that can experience bugs and keep going knowing they'll probably be fixed in the next patch, then you will probably have hellacious amounts of fun chasing people through the wilderness at night with an axe.

• Options
    ho ho ho, now I have an m4! There's lots of barracks around, and they have loot including backpacks, boots, cargo clothes and m4s. M4s seem really common. I've seen 5-6 now but no other guns... Seems like its probably a place holder until more stuff gets added. There's definitely multiple hives/servers or they are wiping frequently since my character tonight was a new spawn in a different locations from when Nailbunny and Axen and I were teaching new spawns not use flashlights!

Moving out of the spawn towns seems like a pretty good idea. They seemed to get picked over super fast and loot cycling is not (yet?) a thing. I also found a dead kitted out player inside a building at the top of the stairs with decent loot, but I already had pretty much everything he had.
    So some melee weapons need a slot and some don't and I'm not sure how you tell. A baseball bat is just there, while a fire axe or bayonet needs inventory space. Oh to open canned food equip an ax (or a knife/bayonet) and then right click on the can. You lose some food compared to a can opener but it beats dieing with a can of beans present. Oh if you are thirsty dayzdb now has the location of some of the water pumps. You can drink like 10-20 times if you are thirsty enough directly from the pump... I assume using a canteen or water bottle would be more efficient.

Zombies are super dayz glitchy... (like old times) I got knocked through a wall and sometimes the zombies will leap out of the building through the walls...

Also I can confirm there's a voice chat/all-talk/teamspeak issue. Be aware you might start hot-micing to other players for no reason. I started hearing random player noise and thought someone was in the town with me... Nope turns out the game likes to hot mic players? I'm not sure its due to a player death or not though. It was very weird hearing some dude breathing and someone explaining they were too far north to join up with another player... Also I heard a parent of the year explaining stuff to his young sounding kid.

DS0mQJS.png
  • Options
    Good times with @BeornK, Trask, and @Capsaicin. We rolled around like a proper post-apocalyptic A-Team, looting and bringing righteous fury upon those who crossed our path. And I got a very nice backpack!

Beauty shot, top to bottom, is Beorn, Trask, myself, and Cap as our newly minted sniper:

5C5732DDE2EBF4740FBB95223729D6B8F8D45C2B

VT09mOz.png
  • Options
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Well, that sucked.

Raided a military base and got an M4 with three magazines, then hid after noticing a guy coming in after me. Was starving and dying of thirst, and the guy was kitted out and very obviously not in the mood to talk, so I laid down beside the entrance and gunned him down as he left. Then killed his buddy who'd been guarding the exit (rather poorly, it seems) with a bat. Then a zombie who came after hearing the gunfire. It was short, violent, and brutal, but I came out on top.

...And then all their bodies disappeared. So I was left with almost no blood, no food, no ammunition, no equipment, and no water for my efforts.

Hrmph. :|

• Options
    JeixJeix Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    Well, that sucked.

Raided a military base and got an M4 with three magazines, then hid after noticing a guy coming in after me. Was starving and dying of thirst, and the guy was kitted out and very obviously not in the mood to talk, so I laid down beside the entrance and gunned him down as he left. Then killed his buddy who'd been guarding the exit (rather poorly, it seems) with a bat. Then a zombie who came after hearing the gunfire. It was short, violent, and brutal, but I came out on top.

...And then all their bodies disappeared. So I was left with almost no blood, no food, no ammunition, no equipment, and no water for my efforts.

Hrmph. :|

Well at least they don't have anything either.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156129-confirmed-upcoming-features-for-dayz/

Someone wanna copy/paste that in this thread for those of us who cannot see it at work? I read it on my phone before I stepped into the office and here are the highlights I remember:

Late 2013 - Anti hacking/security.
    Early 2014 - Server optimization (multi threading, etc...)
    Early 2014 - More zombies
    Early 2014 - Animal hunting/cooking/scavenging
    Mid 2014 - Zombie/loot respawns

I had a REALLY good time playing with Trask, @VedicIntent, and @BeornK last night. Once the 4 of us grouped up, we ran into two other survivors that are no longer alive. Oops. @BeornK absolutely ventilated that one poor bastard. His corpse was profusely bleeding from at least 7 spots and the only item worth taking from him was a rope. Everything else was ruined (and he was pretty well loaded also!). Also I guess @BeornK was right when he said, "Don't go to Green Mountain, that place is cursed. You always find people there."

I really want to see this game go away from all the military gear it has. Sure I understand a lot of it is placeholders from the engine but everyone is running around with M4s. We need more civilian gear! Some examples are:

A .22LR revolver (like the S&W model 18).
    A .22LR pistol (like the Ruger 22/45 Lite).
    A .22LR bolt action rifle (like the Marlin XT-22 or Ruger 77/22 **** Better would be the New Ruger Rimfire American since it uses the same magazines as the 10/22 including the BX25 25 rounder)
    A .22LR semi auto rifle (like the Ruger 10/22)
    A .22LR survival/takedown rifle like the AR-7 (can be folded up/dissembled to be easier to carry in your pack)

(.22LR is a very good caliber for survival. Weapons/ammo are very light, ammo doesn't take up a lot of space, and it's good for hunting small game. It should also make a decent defensive weapon (not a lot of damage but cause a lot of bleeding) and should be easy to shoot for headshots against zeds.)

A .38 spl service revolver (like the S&W model 10 or 15)
    A .38 spl snub revolver
    A .357 magnum revolver (we are getting a Colt Python!!!)

(.357 magnum should be a preferred caliber for survival because they can also shoot .38 special making it easier to find ammo for)

A lever action in 30-30 winchester (great hunting and defensive caliber)
    A bolt action in something non-military like .243 (maybe in a mannlicher configuration so it has iron sights)
    Maybe a .357 magnum brush gun (lever action) to complement the revolver

Pump, over under, and auto shotguns in gauges that aren't 12ga. .410 bore or 16ga. Maybe birdshot if they include foul as hunt-able game (make it only lethal to humans at very close range).

Also civilian semi-auto carbines that share the military calibers but don't share magazines/parts like the Ruger Mini-14.

OOH! Something like the Mossberg MVP Patrol rifle. It's a bolt action that accepts the same magazines as the M4 (STANAG). Cool because it's civilian but can use military loot.

We also need some WARSAW era weapons. SKS so it can use 7.62x39 and not require magazines (but stripper clips as loot to make loading faster if you have them). AKs. Change the ingame 7.62 that the Mosin uses to 7.62x54r so it cannot be shared with weapons that use 7.62x39.

This list doesn't even get into semi auto pistols that need to be added.

Capsaicin on
  • Options
    I don't mind the Mosin using 7.62x39 ammo, simply because I imagine surplus mosins rechambered for common, cheap ammo would be popular for not-Russia's hunters.

• Options
    I don't mind the Mosin using 7.62x39 ammo, simply because I imagine surplus mosins rechambered for common, cheap ammo would be popular for not-Russia's hunters.

Rechambering 7.62x54r to 7.62x39 would be very difficult if not impossible. The extra chamber space would have to be filled because the 54r is so much bigger. But even more annoying, is that the x54r is a rimmed cartridge (hence the 'r') where the x39 is rimless. The bolt/bolt face would have to be drastically altered for the extractor to work and for the round to properly head space.

The x54r still has a place because it is shared by other WARSAW platforms like the SVD, PSL, and RPD machine gun.

• Options

Rechambering 7.62x54r to 7.62x39 would be very difficult if not impossible. The extra chamber space would have to be filled because the 54r is so much bigger. But even more annoying, is that the x54r is a rimmed cartridge (hence the 'r') where the x39 is rimless. The bolt/bolt face would have to be drastically altered for the extractor to work and for the round to properly head space.

The x54r still has a place because it is shared by other WARSAW platforms like the SVD, PSL, and RPD machine gun.

I somehow just blanked on the whole rim thing, so yeah, you right. Have an awesome.

• Options
    So playing BattleField 4 has given me bad habbits... like mag dumping into people and ruining all their kit. Does anyone know yet if equipment damage is based on location... If it is I foresee people getting kneecapped a lot to save the backpacks, weapons and vests.

Things I would like to see added re weapons:
    More melee variety and primitive missile weapons:
    SPEARS! (multiple types such as fire heated sharpened wood, butcher knife on a shaft, sharpened pipes ), Types could include small ones stabby ones, longer polearm style and throwing...
    Polearms (pole ax, voulge ect...) These would probably need to be crafted except for very rare finds...
    Clubs, including the ability to break furniture and get a crude club... pick up a stick in wooded areas ect...
    Bows
    Crossbows
    Butt-Smack/pistol whip (possible bound to a new button). Has anyone tried the bayonet on a rifle yet? Hows that work...
    Ability to block/fend off (limited) Maybe shields since they are easy to make and effective.. (riot or wood ones)
    Hatchet, smaller and shooter range than the big axes
    Hammer, (claw ect)
    Blades of some sort. Machete, a few *rare* swords(no katanas please)
    chainsaw (needs gas, noisy, chops down trees faster than axes ect)

Obviously the firearms need much more variety. I'm really hopping Rocket goes wild adding different calibers and types of guns... I'd like the following:

Revolvers in 32(various) 357/38 special, 44 magnum, 45long colt, m1985 nagant, maybe one of the silly hunting rounds like 454...
    I'd love to see the caliber done right. You can use 38 in a 357 ect... Rounds should effect the handling, (45LC would be easier to shoot than 454)
    More pistols and calibers... 22 target pistols, 25cal, 9x18, 380acp,9x19, 762x25, 10mm, 40sw, 45 ACP. Include a lot of variety include some oddballs like deringers
    more magazines found with weapons. Typically you'd only find a magazine with a weapon. I don't care if they are empty I'm tired of finding so few mags...
    Blackpowder weapons... (low priority but I think this would be fun)
    Improvised guns: zip guns, sawed off shotguns (we need hacksaws!) oberez(maybe you could make these too!)

The ability to load a single shot in weapons with out mags... maybe require the user to enter the inventory tabs to make it awkward. This would also add to the meta game when you see someone with a rifle without a mag.

Lots of 'civilian' weapons: single shot rifles, bolt actions and semi's, shotguns, (I think 23x75/4, 12, 20 and 410, with various shot and slugs is plenty), carbines (include lever actions and ones that take pistol mags), guns with fixed magazines (most sks, some semi/bolt action)
    Fewer select fire weapons. (Subguns could be more common from a meta-game standpoint). Although AK variants should be really common I don't think its great for balance. Once we got AKMs it was pretty much over...
    Firearms should need cleaning/preventive maintenance. Nothing super heavy, just some oil and a rag now and again to run smooth. Otherwise you'd risk jamming. The odds for a jam should be really low and not artificially high like most games.

I also think it'd be neat if some equipment had quirks, like the sight on that one particular pistol shots to the right, or that AR stovepipes a lot. I think that be a really neat addition.

DS0mQJS.png