As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East 2013 Hotel Discussion Thread [link in OP]

• Options
    cheezymau5cheezymau5 Registered User new member
    cheezymau5 wrote: »
    it's my second year for PAX East this year and this year I'm staying at the Hyatt Harborside hotel. is anyone familiar with this hotel? like how is it and stuff? I saw on Google Maps that it looks really close to the BCEC (all you have to do is drive over the water) but how is the ride from that hotel? I'm so excited for this year it's ridiculous :P

It's not bad, but its an airport hotel. You are going to get charged a decent amount to cross when you take a taxi each day to get to the convention center. That road that looks really close is actually a toll highway that just moves through the area, and thats where the extra cost comes from. (and the airport taxi fee)

alright cool! thanks for the info, how long do you think it will take to get to the BCEC and back?

• Options
    cheezymau5cheezymau5 Registered User new member
    it's my second year for PAX East this year and this year I'm staying at the Hyatt Harborside hotel. is anyone familiar with this hotel? like how is it and stuff? I saw on Google Maps that it looks really close to the BCEC (all you have to do is drive over the water) but how is the ride from that hotel? I'm so excited for this year it's ridiculous :P

It's not bad, but its an airport hotel. You are going to get charged a decent amount to cross when you take a taxi each day to get to the convention center. That road that looks really close is actually a toll highway that just moves through the area, and thats where the extra cost comes from. (and the airport taxi fee)

so is this a good hotel to stay at for PAX or do you think we can get better?

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    ripresa wrote: »
    Are there other people staying in the Embassy suites at Logan? A lot of stuff were sold out by the time I booked tickets :( So I'm there.

How much would a 10 minute cab ride cost?

I am there with a friend. The cab ride will run you about $ 15.00 MAX with toll and tip each way. If you want to save money, take the embassy shuttle to terminal C for free ($ 1.00 tip to driver if you nice) and pick up the silver line ($ 2.50) to World Trade Center. 3 Block walk from there.

I will be cabbing it, so if you want to ride share in the morning (leaving hotel at 8:30am each morning after breakfast at 8;00) let me know.

• Options
    Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular

so is this a good hotel to stay at for PAX or do you think we can get better?

I think it will be fine, and honestly at this stage it's going to be hard to find another decently priced room.

• Options
    Any Hotel is fine. Its only a bed. You wont be there much.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dolarrah wrote: »
    Any Hotel is fine. Its only a bed. You wont be there much.

You say that... but everyone still has their own tastes and preferences :)

• Options
    ripresaripresa Registered User regular
    8:30 am maaaaay be too early for me, but it might happen :) Are you there Thursday? I think I may cab it to the Westin hotel for some boardgaming.
    Are there other people staying in the Embassy suites at Logan? A lot of stuff were sold out by the time I booked tickets :( So I'm there.

I am there with a friend. The cab ride will run you about $ 15.00 MAX with toll and tip each way. If you want to save money, take the embassy shuttle to terminal C for free ($ 1.00 tip to driver if you nice) and pick up the silver line ($ 2.50) to World Trade Center. 3 Block walk from there.

I will be cabbing it, so if you want to ride share in the morning (leaving hotel at 8:30am each morning after breakfast at 8;00) let me know.

• Options
    BwentaliBwentali Registered User regular
    Kjeldor wrote: »
    Bwentali wrote: »
    gonna be at the revere, don't see a lot of info on that hotel. anyone gonna be there/ have advice?

I've got a reservation at the Revere...however, I just booked a room at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel as well...so need to consult with my group to see what reservation we keep.

So, a heads up, there are still two 2-bed rooms available at Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel from wed-mon. Get em while you can!

I thank ya for the heads up, think I am gonna stay with the revere though. we gotta decent rate and although the distance is a couple miles away there is pretty easy T access and shuttles (though the rate for the shuttle is a bit much, hope the driver gets most of that)

• Options
    ToddEvfToddEvf Insanity Chamber Studio, SCRegistered User regular

My group and I are staying there as well. Personally, I have preferred Embassy in the past, so this became a no brained for me. If memory serves me correct they have a pretty killer breakfast spread.

fss_overall.png
  • Options
    ToddEvf wrote: »

My group and I are staying there as well. Personally, I have preferred Embassy in the past, so this became a no brained for me. If memory serves me correct they have a pretty killer breakfast spread.

They do Indeed have a killer spread with free omlettes made to order.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    ToddEvf wrote: »

They do Indeed have a killer spread with free omlettes made to order.

They also have a complimentary happy hour every day with free booze. Embassy suites is a great hotel to be at.

• Options
    adastraadastra Registered User regular
    When I booked my room at the Westin through OnPeak, I thought we'd have four people in my group and booked a quad double bed room at $225 per night. Since then, one of our group has backed out and we will only have three people in the room. It was my understanding (and this seems to be supported by the spreadsheet) that the base rate for the room was $185, based on two people, and each additional person was $20 more per night. So I should only be paying $205 per night if we have three people.

I called the Westin, and they insisted that $225 was the room rate per night regardless of how many people were in the room. They wouldn't change the rate unless I could produce some sort of documentation, and since the hotel is sold out I can't show them a dummy reservation or the chart on OnPeak or anything. Am I wrong about this? Am I just out of luck for $60 plus taxes? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

• Options
    adastra wrote: »
    When I booked my room at the Westin through OnPeak, I thought we'd have four people in my group and booked a quad double bed room at $225 per night. Since then, one of our group has backed out and we will only have three people in the room. It was my understanding (and this seems to be supported by the spreadsheet) that the base rate for the room was $185, based on two people, and each additional person was $20 more per night. So I should only be paying $205 per night if we have three people.

I called the Westin, and they insisted that $225 was the room rate per night regardless of how many people were in the room. They wouldn't change the rate unless I could produce some sort of documentation, and since the hotel is sold out I can't show them a dummy reservation or the chart on OnPeak or anything. Am I wrong about this? Am I just out of luck for $60 plus taxes? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The rates are negotiated between OnPeak and the hotels. You likely could have changed via OnPeak *before* the reservations got transferred to the hotels, but I believe once the reservation gets transferred the rate is final. This is speculation as I am not an official representative of either side. I would think your best bet would be to call OnPeak and see what they have to say about it.

• Options
    So I just got an email from OnPeak giving me my confirmation number for the Westin, and updating to say that they've put the hold on my card for the first night's stay. Just an FYI that apparently they are sending out emails when the reservations are updated with the hotels.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    So I just got an email from OnPeak giving me my confirmation number for the Westin, and updating to say that they've put the hold on my card for the first night's stay. Just an FYI that apparently they are sending out emails when the reservations are updated with the hotels.

i just received this as well, also for the westin. i really wish the language was more clear regarding what is actually being done to the credit or debit card account you have made the reservation with. it says they are putting on a hold, but it also says nothing will be charged, and so far i have seen no kind of activity from the westin or onpeak on my account. past experiences tell me my account will be unaffected until i arrive at the hotel, but i don't recall if i've gotten an email like this before, so i'm just going to make sure i can cover that first night's stay amount now to be on the safe side.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »

i just received this as well, also for the westin. i really wish the language was more clear regarding what is actually being done to the credit or debit card account you have made the reservation with. it says they are putting on a hold, but it also says nothing will be charged, and so far i have seen no kind of activity from the westin or onpeak on my account. past experiences tell me my account will be unaffected until i arrive at the hotel, but i don't recall if i've gotten an email like this before, so i'm just going to make sure i can cover that first night's stay amount now to be on the safe side.

Yeah same here, It's not very straight forward. Nothing on my card yet either.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    grayfawkes wrote: »
    tvethiopia wrote: »

Yeah same here, It's not very straight forward. Nothing on my card yet either.

I'm gonna third that for my InterContinental reservation. When I booked the room it said it would charge me one night's stay roughly a month ahead, but that hasn't happened yet. With this new email, it said that my card is only being used to guarantee the room. I'm okay with it either way, but getting these conflicting messages was a little confusing.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    For those of you staying at the Embassy Suites, the free shuttle from the hotel will take you to the Silver Line at Terminal E. You hop on there and take it to World Trade Center. I just stayed at the hotel last night as I was in Boston on other Business. Warning, the hotel is isolated and the ATM at the hotel has a $ 4.95 surcharge, so make sure you have a little extra cash.

• Options
    YavariceYavarice Registered User regular
    Does anyone know the tax/service/otherexcuse rate is that hotels will charge ontop of the listed price? I've been reading that theres a 5.7% state tax, 6.0% city tax, and maybe 2.75% convention center tax so up to a total of 14.45%? I'm over at the Marriot Long Wharf, would that incur the convention center tax?

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    The tax is pretty expensive, it's $555 (for 3 nights at the Westin) and then with tax it somehow came out to $635 which just sounds outrageous to me... but it's for PAX...

• Options
    MalaMala CeciltuckyRegistered User regular
    Yavarice wrote: »
    Does anyone know the tax/service/otherexcuse rate is that hotels will charge ontop of the listed price? I've been reading that theres a 5.7% state tax, 6.0% city tax, and maybe 2.75% convention center tax so up to a total of 14.45%? I'm over at the Marriot Long Wharf, would that incur the convention center tax?

14% tax rate on hotels in Boston ... yes, it really is that expensive

• Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    Anybody hear anything about reservations made through OnPeak at The Renaissance yet?

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Anybody hear anything about reservations made through OnPeak at The Renaissance yet?

Nothing yet, I'm going to put a call into OnPeak and the Renaissance tomorrow to find out what's going on.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much till the end of the week. Also, calling OnPeak first will probably be more fruitful.

• Options
    AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the Westin from Thursday to Saturday, and the Seaport on Sunday and Monday.

It looks like the Seaport has issued a hold on my credit card for one nights stay, but no charge yet. There is nothing from the Westin, though in my experience from the past two years, the Westin never charged anything until the day of checkout. So it is probably at the hotel's discretion.

As for the provided confirmation numbers, the one I got for the Westin doesn't seem to work when I use it to search on their website, although my reservation does show up when I search with my credit card number. Anybody get theirs working? I don't see any sort of web search for Seaport reservations, either.

• Options
    revengeancefulrevengeanceful Registered User regular
    Got my e-mail from OnPeak confirming my reservation at The Renaissance last night. Was able to find the reservation on The Renaissance's website, so I think I'm good to go!

• Options
    Westin is a chain and only issues holds if you use a debit card,

• Options
    grayfawkesgrayfawkes Registered User regular

I booked the westin with my debit card and there no hold on my card.

PAX East 2015:
    3 Single Day Passes [x]
    Hotel [x]
    Flights [x]
    Packed []
    Excitement[x]
    ————————————
    PAX East 12'
    PAX East 13'
    PAX East 14'
    PAX East 15'
  • Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I know its really close to time but I figured I'd ask the question here and save a phone call. (yes I'm an idiot for not asking earlier)

My reservation is confirmed, but my issue is the reservation is paid for by another person (my birthday/hanukkah/no more presents for a while gift this year from my mom was the hotel room for PAX) and the card used is in her name. Will I still be able to give them my card for incidentals and such and not hers, but still have the room paid by her?

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    gigabrain wrote: »
    I know its really close to time but I figured I'd ask the question here and save a phone call. (yes I'm an idiot for not asking earlier)

My reservation is confirmed, but my issue is the reservation is paid for by another person (my birthday/hanukkah/no more presents for a while gift this year from my mom was the hotel room for PAX) and the card used is in her name. Will I still be able to give them my card for incidentals and such and not hers, but still have the room paid by her?
    Shouldn't really be any reason why not. Most hotels are able to split nightly charges across multiple cards, I'm sure splitting room vs amenities should be no problem as well.

• Options
    stardust462stardust462 Leominster, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    gigabrain wrote: »

Yes, if your mom is going. If your mom will not be there, you need to work out arrangements in advance. Call the hotel and get something called a credit card authorization form. You fill it out, make copies of the credit card, have your mom sign it, then send it back (usually by fax). Call the hotel directly to get this worked out, and they can answer any questions you have.

stardust462 on
  • Options
    grayfawkes wrote: »

I booked the westin with my debit card and there no hold on my card.

They dont issue the hold til checkin. Typically with the westin chain it is Cost of Room + $ 250.00. I would call hotel to verify.

• Options
    NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    Just FYI, I reserved a double room at the Westin and when I called to confirm my reservation, they had me setup with a king. I got it fixed. It's probably worth calling the hotel to check on your reservation.

• Options
    edited March 2013
    I have updated the hotel spreadsheet. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvZ3-Fh1pM0NdFRhV2Fqb2l1T2dGbGJfRDZoaF9RS2c#gid=0 ) Updates include:

2013 Shuttle info included
    Sheets for non-OnPeak hotels have been added
    Some sheets are editable

I know I'm probably opening pandora's box with the last update, but I'm hoping we can all behave ourselves and provide useful updates to information. I wanted people to be able to add their experiences into the spreadsheet directly, as well as provide an opportunity for non-OnPeak hotel information to get populated.

Allowing edits also enables everyone to populate column E on the Forumer Feedback sheet, which allows you to tell folks which hotel you're staying at, if so inclined.

If there's anything I missed, or if info in the locked tabs for the OnPeak hotels is incorrect, let me know and I'll get on it.

vttym on
  • Options
    IfandbutIfandbut Registered User regular
    For those of you staying at the Embassy Suites, the free shuttle from the hotel will take you to the Silver Line at Terminal E. You hop on there and take it to World Trade Center. I just stayed at the hotel last night as I was in Boston on other Business. Warning, the hotel is isolated and the ATM at the hotel has a $ 4.95 surcharge, so make sure you have a little extra cash.

Do we need to take the silver line to get to the BCEC? I assumed that because the Embassy Suites was listed as a PAX hotel there would be a shuttle stop like there is at other hotels.

• Options
    SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    FYI, I'm about to release a King room at the Westin for Thur-Fri-Sat nights.

• Options
    Ifandbut wrote: »

Do we need to take the silver line to get to the BCEC? I assumed that because the Embassy Suites was listed as a PAX hotel there would be a shuttle stop like there is at other hotels.

According to the PAX Site, there is no PAX Shuttle from Embassy Suites. You can see a list of OnPeak hotels and their shuttle availability via the spreadsheet

• Options
    MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    I just released a 1-bed double room at the Renaissance from 3/21-3/25 in case someone is looking for a room closer to the convention center.

• Options
    Ifandbut wrote: »

The is no shuttle, I was just at the hotel last weekend and confirmed. Silver Line not so bad,

• Options
    KilonumKilonum [E] Somewhere near BostonRegistered User regular
    Yavarice wrote: »
    yes 14.45% is the total. Please note this varies by city, as the 2.75% convention center funding tax is only applied in Boston, Cambridge, Worcester (40miles away), Springfield, West Springfield and Chicopee (Last three are a good 100miles away).

http://www.mass.gov/dor/businesses/current-tax-info/guide-to-trustee-taxes/room-occupancy-excise-tax.html#overview

JfqWFk8.png
This discussion has been closed.