Options

[EAST] PAX East 2013 Hotel Discussion Thread [link in OP]

• Options
    Jax7786Jax7786 Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    I would call OnPeak and talk to a human.

Will do that ASAP tomorrow, thanks. Does anyone know if the deposit is fully refundable in case we get charged before then? From OnPeak's terms ("Cancellation Policy: RESERVATION(S) MUST BE CANCELLED seventy-two (72) hours prior to arrival to avoid loss of deposit in the form of one (1) night's room plus tax."), it seems that it is as long as we cancel more than 72 hours in advance but if anyone can confirm that would be great.

Thanks for the help!

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    You should not be charged anything until the 72 hour mark, and even then if you used a credit card it's usually just a "hold" that they put on it, not necessarily a charge. However, none of us can speak for OnPeak, so asking them that question would also be wise.

• Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Just cancelled a res at the renaissance for thurs-sun nights. Hope someone else can make good use of it :)

HI3789R.png
  • Options
    moeyjarmoeyjar Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    Would someone like to trade a 1 King Bed to 2 Double Beds at the Westin on Saturday Night? Hoping someone that only needed one bed might have grabbed a double just because they were available.

• Options
    Jim McAwesomeJim McAwesome PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Managed to snag a room at the Westin Thursday and Friday nights. Now I just have to change hotels a couple miles away on Saturday. If anyone is looking to cancel their Saturday night reservation for any reason and would be willing to transfer it to me I'd greatly appreciate it!

cy9khf61zdnc.png
  • Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Quick question about the seaport, I was wondering how close it is to the south Boston train station, will it be necessary to take a cab there? Also how far is the walk to the bcec as well

• Options
    FireWater wrote: »
    Quick question about the seaport, I was wondering how close it is to the south Boston train station, will it be necessary to take a cab there? Also how far is the walk to the bcec as well

The Seaport hotel is directly above the World Trade center Silver Line station. You should be able to catch a silver line bus (the silver line is a bus line, but on dedicated lanes like a train) from south station to the WTC station easily.

The BCEC is just a block or so away. Take a look on google maps.

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular

If you mean South Station (the main amtrak station) then it is about 1/2 mile give or take. It is about 3 blocks from Seaport to BCEC, but its a straight shot out the back door of the hotel, over a bridge and across the main road.

If you arrive at night, I would spend the $ 5.00 or so on a cab. Then you will be golden.

• Options
    FireWaterFireWater Registered User regular
    Sounds good, thanks for the quick reply.

Google maps gives me some crazy route from the Seaport to the BCEC, so I'm sure I'll run into fellow PAXers along the way.

• Options
    Sounds good, thanks for the quick reply.

Google maps gives me some crazy route from the Seaport to the BCEC, so I'm sure I'll run into fellow PAXers along the way.

you will be able to see the BCEC from the Seaport, no problem. Once you get there, the route to take is *extraordinarily* obvious.

• Options
    vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Exit Seaport.
    Cross Bridge.
    Profit!!

Also, I just released a 1-bed room at Seaport for Thurs-Sun. Get it while it's hot.

• Options
    UnstaUnsta Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    Managed to snag a room at the Westin Thursday and Friday nights. Now I just have to change hotels a couple miles away on Saturday. If anyone is looking to cancel their Saturday night reservation for any reason and would be willing to transfer it to me I'd greatly appreciate it!

Just keep an eye out, some have been popping up here and there. Mostly Kings though, no doubles.

• Options
    UnstaUnsta Fredericton, NBRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Westin Waterfront just dropped off the block listing entirely now. Not sure if it's coming back or not! It'd be nice if they left it there so if people cancelled rooms someone could grab them.

Scratch that, it's back now.... I wish you could delete posts!

Unsta on
  • Options
    CryptiksCryptiks Beardmaster Montreal, QcRegistered User regular
    Anyone ever stayed at the Midtown? is it great? Is there something I should know on this Hotel?

• Options
    GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Cryptiks wrote: »
    Anyone ever stayed at the Midtown? is it great? Is there something I should know on this Hotel?

It's OK. I've stayed there when I've gone to see the BSO. Symphony hall is a block away. The rooms are basic, but comfortable. My pro-tip for there is to stay away from any 'shuttle service' and if you call down for a taxi emphasize it's a taxi. When I went there last year I called down for a taxi so I could get to South Station. A van, with decals for about 10 hotels on the side windows came by, and when we got to South Station wanted $20 for the 2 mile drive. I've been doing this job for about 5 years now with fairly consistent travel, and I've never had a hotel try to pull that before.

• Options
    Cryptiks wrote: »

The feedback on the spreadsheet includes:

-place was clean, the staff (Who had us AND Anime Boston to deal with) was nice.

- It was about 10 min walk to the nearest T stop

- It may be far from the BCEC but they've got bus service that runs late at night that can drop you off in front of your hotel (and if you miss morning shuttle, the hotel is on the T-Line that will get you there in less than thirty minutes). There's also a mall nearby with a grocery store so you can stock up on non-perishables and alcohol. Also if you love your classical music, the BSO hall is only a two minute walk (super plus for me).

- it's a little ""ol' skool"" and is not as luxurious as other hotels I've been to, but you can plug consoles into the TV to practice for your tournaments as they don't have anything blocking the TV.

• Options
    Hyperion098Hyperion098 Registered User regular
    can the round house suites get added to that spread sheet lol would like to see what people have to say about it

• Options
    Hyperion098Hyperion098 Registered User regular
    mmpie wrote: »
    any one ever stay at the Best Western Roundhouse Suites? thats where i shale be spending the weekend free parking ftw =D

That's where we are staying this year! Obviously I was hoping for closer but all that was left was too expensive. Never stayed there before but I've stayed at a B&B close by and I remember not having any trouble getting downtown.

Good to hear we won't be the only PAX-goers there :)

yea me and my brother will be staying there, i think i read something about them having a shuttle to the convention center if not maybe we can carpool the ride over prob cheaper then a taxi or something

• Options
    can the round house suites get added to that spread sheet lol would like to see what people have to say about it

I was keeping the sheet limited to the hotel offerings from OnPeak, but maybe I'll add a tab for other area lodgings. I'll go through this thread and compile what I can into another tab soon.

• Options
    cheezymau5cheezymau5 Registered User new member
    it's my second year for PAX East this year and this year I'm staying at the Hyatt Harborside hotel. is anyone familiar with this hotel? like how is it and stuff? I saw on Google Maps that it looks really close to the BCEC (all you have to do is drive over the water) but how is the ride from that hotel? I'm so excited for this year it's ridiculous :P

• Options
    Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular
    cheezymau5 wrote: »
    it's my second year for PAX East this year and this year I'm staying at the Hyatt Harborside hotel. is anyone familiar with this hotel? like how is it and stuff? I saw on Google Maps that it looks really close to the BCEC (all you have to do is drive over the water) but how is the ride from that hotel? I'm so excited for this year it's ridiculous :P

It's not bad, but its an airport hotel. You are going to get charged a decent amount to cross when you take a taxi each day to get to the convention center. That road that looks really close is actually a toll highway that just moves through the area, and thats where the extra cost comes from. (and the airport taxi fee)

• Options

Check out the Silver Line on Boston MBTA, a little more hassle but a lot less money then cabs. You would be going from Airport to World Trade Center.

• Options
    Dolarrah wrote: »

Check out the Silver Line on Boston MBTA, a little more hassle but a lot less money then cabs. You would be going from Airport to World Trade Center.

Good call I should have mentioned that, the "silver line" at the airport is actually a bus route, so don't be surprised.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We're in the Boston Hilton downtown this year, and it's our first time in that hotel. What kind of travel time are we looking at? Seems like its less than a mile, but I have no idea if there's an easy route.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Axelsgurl4lifeAxelsgurl4life Potsdam,NYRegistered User regular
    Me and my college are coming and are excited because it is our first time going. We are staying at the Red Roof Inn. Anyone else staying there? Or are we on our own?

• Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    We're in the Boston Hilton downtown this year, and it's our first time in that hotel. What kind of travel time are we looking at? Seems like its less than a mile, but I have no idea if there's an easy route.

Nice and easy, just walk east (a right out the front door) and to the main road along the water. Take a right and walk down until you come to your first set of lights with what seems like 10 lanes of traffic going all over the place. To the left will be a bridge over to the waterfront district, head that way and from there you can follow the crowds. All in all it should take about 10-15 minutes.

• Options
    APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    My friends and I will be staying at the Omni Parker. I haven't stayed there before, but I've heard great things. I'll be mooching off the Westin for the get-togethers (Board Game of Thrones) & whatnot.
    Me and my college are coming and are excited because it is our first time going. We are staying at the Red Roof Inn. Anyone else staying there? Or are we on our own?

There's a red roof in Boston? Enjoy your first PAX!

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • Options
    Axelsgurl4lifeAxelsgurl4life Potsdam,NYRegistered User regular
    APacMan wrote: »
    My friends and I will be staying at the Omni Parker. I haven't stayed there before, but I've heard great things. I'll be mooching off the Westin for the get-togethers (Board Game of Thrones) & whatnot.

There's a red roof in Boston? Enjoy your first PAX!

I guess so haha we found it last minute when the hotel we had planned on staying in lost our reservation.
    I hope PAX is as fun as everyone is saying! Hope I meet some awesome people.

• Options
    APacMan wrote: »

Make sure you sign up for their free gold member thingy, so you get free wifi, newspaper, and a bunch of other stuff. Check the spreadsheet or their website for more details.

• Options
    Parker House is nice place. Ask about the "Haunted Room" and be sure to have the "Original" Boston Cream Pie and Parker House Rolls... if you can afford them, the restraint there use to be expensive, not sure if still is.

• Options
    APacManAPacMan Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    Make sure you sign up for their free gold member thingy, so you get free wifi, newspaper, and a bunch of other stuff. Check the spreadsheet or their website for more details.

Just read through the brochure. There's some nice stuff on there for free. Most of it is 'on your next visit,' but if I like it enough this year, who's to say my next visit wouldn't be next year's PAX. Thanks for the head's up!

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. -Robert Wilensky

Twitter: @APacManSays
  • Options
    N13N13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I thought to check Bed Bug Registry before going, only to find there are a lot of the OnPeak hotels on the list. http://bedbugregistry.com/search/hotel/l:boston,-ma/

I don't want to be an alarmist, but everything I've heard about these things is nasty. Know how to look for them before you settle in, and how to avoid carrying them home with you.

N13 on
  • Options
    N13 wrote: »
    I thought to check Bed Bug Registry before going, only to find there are a lot of the OnPeak hotels on the list. http://bedbugregistry.com/search/hotel/l:boston,-ma/

I don't want to be an alarmist, but everything I've heard about these things is nasty. Know how to look for them before you settle in, and how to avoid carrying them home with you.

Every time I see this registry I'm happy I stay at the Harborside Inn.

• Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    for anyone wondering, it looks like info has been (or is in the process of being) transferred from onpeak to hotels. when i put my info in on the westin waterfront website, it acknowledges that i have a reservation but is not able to display details.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    for anyone wondering, it looks like info has been (or is in the process of being) transferred from onpeak to hotels. when i put my info in on the westin waterfront website, it acknowledges that i have a reservation but is not able to display details.

For other folks, please give OnPeak and the hotels a few days to get all the information transferred. This is a process, and just because they don't have your reservation at the hotel in question right this instant will not necessarily indicate that something is wrong. I would give it at least until the middle of next week (maybe 3/14) before getting worried.

• Options
    BwentaliBwentali Registered User regular
    gonna be at the revere, don't see a lot of info on that hotel. anyone gonna be there/ have advice?

• Options
    Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular

I just tried this for my hotel (Long Wharf) and it asked for my confirmation number and last name. Will there be a e-mail from OnPeak giving me a confirmation number?

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Options

I just tried this for my hotel (Long Wharf) and it asked for my confirmation number and last name. Will there be a e-mail from OnPeak giving me a confirmation number?

Call OnPeak and ask. I am going to guess probably not. I usually wait until the week prior to PAX to start checking my hotel. This is still a bit early.

• Options
    ripresaripresa Registered User regular
    Are there other people staying in the Embassy suites at Logan? A lot of stuff were sold out by the time I booked tickets :( So I'm there.

How much would a 10 minute cab ride cost?

• Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bwentali wrote: »
    gonna be at the revere, don't see a lot of info on that hotel. anyone gonna be there/ have advice?

I've got a reservation at the Revere...however, I just booked a room at the Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel as well...so need to consult with my group to see what reservation we keep.

So, a heads up, there are still two 2-bed rooms available at Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel from wed-mon. Get em while you can!

This discussion has been closed.