Options

Giant Bomb: #TeamBrad

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    well yeah, and it could turn out the game has some weird hang up somewhere along the line that fucks something up, or he might not like it or any number of things

but I thought jeff's been pretty positive about all the preview stuff they've talked about

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    The builds they've shown previously have had quite a bit of bugs in them, and Firaxis swears they're not in the final build

I could totally see them still being in the final build

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Yeah it's Firaxis (whom I love to death), and their Day-1 experience isn't always the best.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Two stars for being hard.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Given how he's warmed up to Civ, I was really hoping Ryan would get the XCOM review

• Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    BOMBCAST IS UP YO

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Given how he's warmed up to Civ, I was really hoping Ryan would get the XCOM review

I have a feeling that Jeff and Brad are really the only reviewers now

It sounds like Ryan spends most of his time handling the business end of things

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Just the description

Grievances with NiGHTS

I am glad someone else sees eye to eye with me on this

NiGHTS is lame as shit

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Oh man, they mention the TurboGrafx in the description

I will listen to this over and over again if they have a lengthy discussion about the TurboGrafx

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    No Vinny.

Pfft.

I guess I'll listen to it sometime.

• Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    I think I still want to play RE6. I've heard a ton of complaints, and I've bagged on what I've seen of the game myself in this thread...but, none of the complaints that I've heard are real 'deal breakers' for me. I don't know...I think I might just be desperate, but I want to play it.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    well I'd advise renting it, if that's an option

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Redbox is gonna have it. I still might rent it, against my better judgement.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i couldn't even finish the leon portion of the demo so

no thanks, i'll go ahead and pass

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

I have a feeling that Jeff and Brad are really the only reviewers now

It sounds like Ryan spends most of his time handling the business end of things

And Alex

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i have discovered that Jeff likes tron with this latest podcast

and all is right in the world, all his prior sins forgiven

• Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Jeff Gerstmann is the best.

jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    that was a great bombcast

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Jeff seems less crazy now that he's acknowledged that him not liking RE4 is due to his own personal problem.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    I have a very similar problem to Jeff (motor dysgraphia is a big impairment for my enjoyment of quite a few games) but I know RE4 is a hell of a game

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    I basically agree with Jeff about RE4. I realize it's a good game but the shooting didn't work for me.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    So after two chapters, and roughly three hours with RE6, I'm having fun and the game is at least mediocre. Playing it co-op takes it to good, for me at least.

I can understand some frustrations with the controls, not in their function, but in their lack of explanation. Pretty much everything is explained in loading screen tutorial splash pages, which would take awhile to see all of them if you don't know to press a to go to the next one during the load. The camera can be legit dodgy sometimes but I've never been frustrated by it.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    honestly, i wasn't sure if brad hating RE6 was just a Brad Thing, but having patrick chime in and agree is kind of damning.

I might rent or barrow it, not going to buy it unless someone comes in with something lik e"There's a secret 5th campaign where you play as a dinosaur with an AK and fight rock and roll mutants"

Then i'm going to buy that game all of the times, and write Capcom a blowjob.

• Options
    The reviews to me seem to be some collective venting of some sort of frustration that I, as a person who does not review games, can't really understand.

I am a consumer and so far this game has been fun to consume.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I mean I'd write off every capcom published product and basically spit in their rep's faces with the way they treat some of their properties. Lookin at you megamanxover.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I'm a little surprised at how hard they've been bagging on it...something like an hour of venting between the podcast and the video. Part of my surprise probably comes from the fact that they're far less vitriolic toward far worse games. Granted, this all probably has more to do with disappointment in a game which comes with such a legacy (albeit distant, at this point) more than anything, I guess.

Still, the fact that it got a 79 on IGN, a 80-something from Game Informer, etc. makes me think it might not be as bad as they make it seem. Not to say those publications have anything on Giantbomb, but still...

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Drew-B wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised at how hard they've been bagging on it...something like an hour of venting between the podcast and the video. Part of my surprise probably comes from the fact that they're far less vitriolic toward far worse games. Granted, this all probably has more to do with disappointment in a game which comes with such a legacy (albeit distant, at this point) more than anything, I guess.

Still, the fact that it got a 79 on IGN, a 80-something from Game Informer, etc. makes me think it might not be as bad as they make it seem. Not to say those publications have anything on Giantbomb, but still...

On the other hand.

IGN and Game Informer.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    I know, I made a caveat statement about that.

And honestly, if you listen to the IGN podcasts, they're pretty good people these days. No, really.

• Options

Well, a lot of it was it looked really good until they got their hands on it, Brad has liked pretty much all resident evils until now, so this bad one is kind of disappointing and upsetting.

I mean shit, did you see the earlier press stuff? that shit looked awesome. and then the demo sucked. and the reviews are all over the place.

It's weird.

• Options
    It seems like...you know...that it's a bad game.

But like I said in another post, none of the complaints, despite there being tons, are huge "this game is fucking busted" complaints.

And after about 20 minutes into ripping on the game, a lot of the stuff they were bagging on just seemed kind of, I don't know, paltry?

Definitely a renter, but just looking at the Metacritic page is pretty goddamn perplexing

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-6/critic-reviews

Lord knows I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of bad games in the past.

• Options
    yeah, but it's different when it's a bad game, and it's a bad game you wanted to be good.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm reading some of the lower reviews on the spectrum to get their take, and holy shit, game critics often make for horrible writers (though that speaks more to their editors than anything).

What the hell am I reading, here? This is a paragraph, mid-review.
    (One of Resident Evil 6′s most cinematic moments is borrowed wholesale from the 2001 Japanese horror movie Kairo, translated — and remade — as Pulse. In that movie, there’s a shot from the ground of a big cargo plane flying low over a city and then crashing. The movie predated 9/11 by several months, at which point the scene was even more chilling. For Kairo’s inevitable American remake, the cargo plane was crassly replaced with a passenger jet. Resident Evil 6 borrows this scene four times: three times from the ground, and once from inside the plane. And because Resident Evil 6 is so oblivious, and so far from anything resembling actual horror, it plays out more like the climax of Con Air than anything in Kairo.)

edit: Always with the typos

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Jesus, how could an editor not delete that entire paragraph? How the fuck do you not triple click + del this kind of meandering garbage?

If I edited this piece I wouldn't even mention it to the writer. It'd just go poof.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Just now watching the story hour adventures quick look

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Testament of Sherlock Holmes QL tomorrow.

FUCK YES
    Is that the one they spoiled? There are seven different Sherlock Holmes games on Steam by that developer, but I thought the spoiled one was 6.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    Jesus, how could an editor not delete that entire paragraph? How the fuck do you not triple click + del this kind of meandering garbage?

If I edited this piece I wouldn't even mention it to the writer. It'd just go poof.

Internet reviews are far too long

far

too

long

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular

those sites run on a 7-10 scale though

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Jintor wrote: »

Internet reviews are far too long

far

too

long

I thought that way

then I read a Tim Rogers review.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
This discussion has been closed.