Options

Giant Bomb: #TeamBrad

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Testament of Sherlock Holmes QL tomorrow.

FUCK YES
    Is that the one they spoiled? There are seven different Sherlock Holmes games on Steam by that developer, but I thought the spoiled one was 6.

Yeah it's SHix, Justin calls it the Testament of Sherlock Holmes here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1OZbyC1RBU

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Complaints on RE6 sound legit to me.

I think they're only louder and more intense than with another game because, well, it's the 6th plus game in a beloved series.

Like, I would not have been as disappointed with Prometheus if the trailers hadn't been awesome, if it hadn't had it's pedigree, if it hadn't looked potentially amazing. If it had been just some low budget, scum-fuck movie that turned out to be bad, who the fuck cares? Same with RE6. Brad, and Patrick and Vinny to a lesser extent, enjoy the series and were hoping it would be good, but because this big name thing they like turns out to be as crap as it is (despite maybe not being as crap as a ton of other games), the disappointment hurts more.

That being said, I do have my rental arriving today, and I look forward to seeing if it's as bad as all that.

That Resident Evil thread in the G&T forums? Jesus. Bunch of Stockholm Syndrom going on. Or maybe not. Or whatever. I guess if you like something SO MUCH that you have articles of clothing and comics and novels and soundtracks and every other games, it's really hard to distance yourself when part of your favorite property is not good.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    When does the RE6 bitching stop on the podcast? I am at 1:12 and they won't shut up about it.

• Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Pete two shakes I'll be wit you

Scudo on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Drew-B wrote: »
    I'm a little surprised at how hard they've been bagging on it...something like an hour of venting between the podcast and the video. Part of my surprise probably comes from the fact that they're far less vitriolic toward far worse games. Granted, this all probably has more to do with disappointment in a game which comes with such a legacy (albeit distant, at this point) more than anything, I guess.

From the podcast, it comes off as that, plus with all the flaws in the game, it's just not really that fun to play. Like was said in the podcast, and from what I've gathered from what I've played so far of the demo, with all the problems it has, it would be much more liked if it weren't 30 hours. The longevity of the game, combined with the sheer amount of problems, and the fact that in terms of main games this is it for the next 3 years, it all combines to create a disappointing experience for any fan of the series. The people who think it's not that bad, I don't know, maybe they have lowered expectations of the series, maybe they like QTEs and cutscenes, I don't know, it's just too much for me personally, and it was more than too much for Brad and the gang.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular

I think they're only louder and more intense than with another game because, well, it's the 6th plus game in a beloved series.

Like, I would not have been as disappointed with Prometheus if the trailers hadn't been awesome, if it hadn't had it's pedigree, if it hadn't looked potentially amazing. If it had been just some low budget, scum-fuck movie that turned out to be bad, who the fuck cares? Same with RE6. Brad, and Patrick and Vinny to a lesser extent, enjoy the series and were hoping it would be good, but because this big name thing they like turns out to be as crap as it is (despite maybe not being as crap as a ton of other games), the disappointment hurts more.

That being said, I do have my rental arriving today, and I look forward to seeing if it's as bad as all that.

That Resident Evil thread in the G&T forums? Jesus. Bunch of Stockholm Syndrom going on. Or maybe not. Or whatever. I guess if you like something SO MUCH that you have articles of clothing and comics and novels and soundtracks and every other games, it's really hard to distance yourself when part of your favorite property is not good.
    Maybe my expectations were lowered, maybe I just don't give an eff so much about a zombie dog clipping through the floor that one time. But no, it's not "as bad as all that."

I am convinced this game was some weird breaking point for a significant amount of reviewers. To just play it? It's fun bro, in co-op at least.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Quick looks of weird European games just aren't the same without Vinny. Drew+Dave is awesome, but it needs Vinny as well for the suicidal suggestions.

Sort of wished they waited a week to QL war of the roses.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

Maybe my expectations were lowered, maybe I just don't give an eff so much about a zombie dog clipping through the floor that one time. But no, it's not "as bad as all that."

I am convinced this game was some weird breaking point for a significant amount of reviewers. To just play it? It's fun bro, in co-op at least.

Maybe my opinion will soften when I play the full game with my friend, but I played every bit of the demo, and the problems are not just nitpicks. They are fundamental issues with the combat system.

And considering combat is 95% of the game (the other 5% is cutscenes), that made it not fun "to just play" for me.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    After so, so many third person cover based have been made, clunky cover mechanics is just so haggard and inexcusable.

• Options
    Everything is better with Vinny involved.

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »

Maybe my opinion will soften when I play the full game with my friend, but I played every bit of the demo, and the problems are not just nitpicks. They are fundamental issues with the combat system.

And considering combat is 95% of the game (the other 5% is cutscenes), that made it not fun "to just play" for me.
    What were these fundamental issues?

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Testament of Sherlock Holmes QL tomorrow.

FUCK YES
    Is that the one they spoiled? There are seven different Sherlock Holmes games on Steam by that developer, but I thought the spoiled one was 6.

Yeah it's SHix, Justin calls it the Testament of Sherlock Holmes here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1OZbyC1RBU

"Oh, sorry...is...spoiler?"

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

1) Even the most basic zombies take multiple headshots to kill in Leon's stage.
    2) Melee attacks, despite being encouraged and necessary, are not consistent and often put you in the most dangerous position possible.
    3) In Chris and Jake's chapter, most of the zombies you face have automatic weapons. Which means you don't have time to carefully line up headshots. Which means you use a lot of ammo to kill one dude who doesn't flinch through the whole barrage. And God help you if he morphs upon death.
    4) Those weird, reptile-like things that shoot spikes cause knockdowns. Frequently. Knockdowns are never fun. Also, they take a shit-ton of bullets to kill, and there's no clear indication of where their weakspot is (if they even have one).
    5) You are encouraged (and sometimes forced) to kill everything in the area.

All this leads to battles that feel like a slog and a constant lack of ammo in a game where you have to use a lot of ammo. And even if you try to conserve ammo by using melee attacks, there's a 50-50 chance a zombie will just attack you as soon as you get the prompt for a melee kill. Or the prompt won't work.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    10 seconds into the latest Jars video

man

Jeff's hair is getting crazy

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    10 seconds into the latest Jars video

man

Jeff's hair is getting crazy

That persona drawing is actually accurate

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I was looking for the picture of Jeff as Heihachi, but I found out there was a Tekken movie???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJyUgtw86m8

Kinda funny how the main villain in two different fighting games is played by the same guy.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    EVERYBODY STOP WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU'RE DOING

AC3 DLC IS GOING TO HAVE EVIL GEORGE WASHINGTON IN IT

2337472-aciii_dlc_kinggeorgewashington.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Damn it

Well played, Assassin's Creed. Well played.

sig.gif
  • Options
    like, I was not at all excited about the AC3 setting

but, shit, I am back in it now

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    now add John Adams

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i forgot AC3 was this month

fuck

i don't have anything to trade in toward it! just borderlands 2 and noooooope holding on to that shit

• Options
    Sold.

Sold so hard.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Sweet jesus, Drew is pretty hardcore in War of the Roses.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Well I was already going to buy it, but now I need it.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    I was looking for the picture of Jeff as Heihachi, but I found out there was a Tekken movie???

Kinda funny how the main villain in two different fighting games is played by the same guy.

There's also this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dd5vDftTrI

which was SUPPOSED to be a Tekken movie (as you can probably tell by the Hwaorang and Jin lookalikes), but the rights to the game were not secured, and Namco sued the film company, so they had to completely rework the movie to be NOT Tekken.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    rfilyaw wrote: »

There's also this movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Dd5vDftTrI

which was SUPPOSED to be a Tekken movie (as you can probably tell by the Hwaorang and Jin lookalikes), but the rights to the game were not secured, and Namco sued the film company, so they had to completely rework the movie to be NOT Tekken.

There are also DOA and King of Fighters movies. Everything gets a bad movie.

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Except Mortal Kombat.

That gets a good movie.

But then it also got a bad movie so I guess it still applies.

• Options
    Phoenix Wright got an amazing movie.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Huh this sherlock holmes game actually looks much better than i thought it would, and I am hankering for a old adventure game. I cant believe i just typed that.

Barcardi on
  • Options

1) Even the most basic zombies take multiple headshots to kill in Leon's stage.
    2) Melee attacks, despite being encouraged and necessary, are not consistent and often put you in the most dangerous position possible.
    3) In Chris and Jake's chapter, most of the zombies you face have automatic weapons. Which means you don't have time to carefully line up headshots. Which means you use a lot of ammo to kill one dude who doesn't flinch through the whole barrage. And God help you if he morphs upon death.
    4) Those weird, reptile-like things that shoot spikes cause knockdowns. Frequently. Knockdowns are never fun. Also, they take a shit-ton of bullets to kill, and there's no clear indication of where their weakspot is (if they even have one).
    5) You are encouraged (and sometimes forced) to kill everything in the area.

All this leads to battles that feel like a slog and a constant lack of ammo in a game where you have to use a lot of ammo. And even if you try to conserve ammo by using melee attacks, there's a 50-50 chance a zombie will just attack you as soon as you get the prompt for a melee kill. Or the prompt won't work.
    1. So everything is supposed to drop in 1 headshot? 1 shot headshots are considered criticals, like in all the previous games, and have a chance to happen on successful headshots. The percentage can be increased with skills.
    2. I haven't found this to be the case at all. If I get the prompt to do a staggered melee attack it has yet to let me down in 6 hours of playtime. Staggering an enemy with melee attacks isn't the easiest and usually requires a string of attacks.
    3. If your enemy can shoot back at you then yeah, you need to pick your shots differently than an enemy that's not armed, but the ranged attackers are usually stationary, I find it to be about even on the ability to line up shots on moving targets vs stationary ranged attacking targets.
    4. Knockdowns aren't my cup of tea either, but they can be somewhat negated by pressing and holding a when they happen to do a quick recovery, sort of like teching in a fighter.
    5. I guess if you're comparing it to say RE1/make and RE2 where you were making decisions on which enemies to kill and which to skillfully avoid then yeah, but this hasn't been the same genre since 4, and clearing an area to move on is a pretty big game staple.

I've never had a staggered zombie attack me when going for a melee finisher. There are cases where you'll get the R prompt for attacks that aren't finishers, such as the second attack in a melee string, or ground attacks.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I couldn't give a care about RE6, but I really want to see this rope climbing QTE everyone keeps talking about. It sounds hilarious.

• Options
    Their description of that QTE was hilarious to me because over here there used to be an essentially identical QTE that worked exactly the same (except it wasn't a rope). Then they changed it so you don't have to hold the button when the game isn't telling you to hold it because hey, playtesters couldn't figure it out.

sig.gif
  • Options
    "Over here?" I don't catch your meaning.

• Options
    God damn it guys Link totally had pink hair in ALttP and it was pink because you could only have so many colors on a sprite on the SNES and brown wasn't available.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also Jeff is only partially right about the SNES A/V out. The SNES had both the NES' RF out and a composite out (though at least in the US, it came packaged with only an RF switch). So the RF switch was identical to the NES' and completely interchangeable, but the composite out was identical to the one they later put on the N64 and GameCube, so you could use those interchangeably.

Also the NES had weird-ass composite outs with a single out each for the video and (mono) audio and I've never seen single-in single-out composite cables but I guess those must've been generic and somewhat common at the time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Man, given that he's been doing this for 20 years he probably deserves a break.

Crazy that he's been in the industry since he was a teenager, too.

• Options
    Year of the Big Names Quitting.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh man I know exactly what Jeff thinks is the biggest disappointment of the year but I have no idea what it is.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Oh I guess the end of the podcast makes that considerably more clear.

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.