As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MMA]New thread is up!

TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
edited February 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse

Mixed
Martial
Arts

Mixed martial arts (MMA) is a full contact combat sport that allows the use of both striking and grappling techniques, both standing and on the ground, from a variety of other combat sports. The roots of modern mixed martial arts can be traced back to the ancient Olympics where one of the earliest documented systems of codified full range unarmed combat was utilized in the sport of Pankration. Various mixed style contests took place throughout Europe, Japan and the Pacific Rim during the early 1900s. The combat sport of Vale Tudo that had developed in Brazil from the 1920s was brought to the United States by the Gracie family in 1993 with the founding of the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), which is the largest MMA promotion company worldwide.

Most 'traditional' martial arts have a specific focus and these arts may be trained to improve in that area. Popular disciplines of each type include:

Stand-up: Various forms of Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, TaeKwonDo, and Karate are trained to improve footwork, elbowing, kicking, kneeing and punching.
Clinch: Freestyle, Greco-Roman wrestling, Sambo and Judo are trained to improve clinching, takedowns and throws, while Muay Thai is trained to improve the striking aspect of the clinch.
Ground: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Submission Wrestling, shoot wrestling, catch wrestling, Judo and Sambo are trained to improve ground control and position, as well as to achieve submission holds, and defend against them.

There are two major promotions right now that push this sport.

UFC:

Ufc_logo.jpg
Wikipedia wrote:
The Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) is the largest mixed martial arts promotion company in the world, which hosts most of the top-ranked fighters in the sport and produces events worldwide. Based in the United States, the UFC has eight weight divisions and enforces the Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts. Dana White serves as the president of the UFC while Frank and Lorenzo Fertitta control the UFC's parent company, Zuffa, LLC.

The first UFC event was held in 1993 in Denver, Colorado. The purpose of the event was to identify the most effective martial art in a real fight between competitors of different fighting disciplines, including Boxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Karate and other styles. In subsequent competitions, fighters began adopting effective techniques from more than one discipline, which indirectly helped create an entirely separate style of fighting known as present-day mixed martial arts.

With a cable-television deal and expansion into Canada, Europe, Australia, the Middle East, Asia, and new markets within the United States, the UFC as of 2012 has gained in popularity, along with greater mainstream-media coverage. As of 2001 viewers can access UFC programming on pay-per-view television in the U.S., Brazil, Australia, Canada, New Zealand and Italy. UFC programming can also be found on FX, Fuel TV, and Fox in the U.S., on ESPN in the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland, as well as in 150 countries and 22 different languages worldwide. UFC also carries a mobile site for on-the-go users and a Sports Bars page for fans to find places showing the pay-per-view. It is also available on the Roku streaming player.

Its champions right now are:

Flyweight (125 lbs): Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson
dj.jpg
(He is the real life Flash)

Women's Bantamweight (135 lbs): "Rowdy" Ronda Rousey
rousey-t1.jpg
(Ever see Terminator 3? Rousey could whoop that robot chick's ass)

Bantamweight (135 lbs):
(defending) Dominick Cruz
Cruz-punches-Bowles.jpg
(He's the one not getting punched in the face)

(interim)Renan Barao
11_Faber_Barao_07.jpg
(Interim champs don't get witty comments)

Featherweight (145 lbs): Jose Aldo
jose-aldo.jpg
(Joe-Say All-Dough)

Lightweight (155 lbs): Benson "Smooth" Henderson
WEC-53-Ben-Henderson-Anthony-Pettis_019.jpg
(He can squeeze me with those thighs anyday)

Welterweight (170 lbs):
(defending) Georges "Rush" St. Pierre

stpierre-koscheck.jpg
(GSP has called out both dinosaurs and transformers)

Middleweight (185 lbs):
Anderson Silva

anderson-silva-vs-chael-sonnen-thumb-572xauto-259392.jpg
(He's not the one not getting punched in the face)

Light Heavyweight (205 lbs):
Jon Jones

JonJones.jpg
(Herb Dean: "Da fuq")

Heavyweight (max 265 lbs):
Cain Velasquez

WU3Z3.jpg
(Junioooooooooor D:)

Bellator Fighting Championships:

bellator.jpg

Wikipedia wrote:
Bellator Fighting Championships (Bellator) is the 2nd largest mixed martial arts (MMA) promotion in the USA and the largest tournament-based MMA organization in the world. Headquartered in Newport Beach, California, the company was formed in 2008 by Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. Bellator’s events are primarily structured around a tournament format that allows competitors the opportunity to fight for a world championship in their desired weight class. Fighters determine their own path by winning tournament fights until a winner from the eight man field is crowned. The tournament winner is declared the number one contender and is awarded a check for $100,000 and a shot at the reigning world champion. Bellator uses the motto “Where title shots are earned, not given...”

Its champions right now are:

Women's Strawweight (115 lbs): Zoila Gurgel
20110307085047_IMG_9511.JPG
(Megumi Fuji was robbed, yo)

Bantamweight (135 lbs): Eduardo Dantas
44157a3b-9945-384d-b877-baf280d375f1.jpg
(Just had his fool-ass get KO'd by a nobody in Brazil)

Featherweight (145 lbs): Pat Curran
VOJJNTVJVOUHDYV.20120310082918_large.jpg
(Poor, poor Joe Warren. :<)

Lightweight (155 lbs): Michael Chandler
chandler.jpg
(I don't know this guy well enough)

Welterweight (170 lbs): Ben "Funky" Askren
askren.jpg
(Arguably the biggest name in Bellator at the moment and former Olympic wrestler)

Middleweight (185 lbs): VACANT
( :C )

Light Heavyweight (205 lbs): Christian M'Pumbu
SGHOVUUTETAKZJN.20110522041101.jpg
(Will not admit training with Dan Henderson)

Heavyweight (MAX 265 lbs): VACANT
( :C )

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
TehSpectre on

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Renen barao - interim bantamweight champ

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    whoops

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Why do most of you guys hate Jones? Is it only the DUI (I could totally understand that if so)? Or is it something else?

• Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    It's his "the whole world revolves around me" attitude. Guy is so full of himself and can't own up to his mistakes. It just makes his BS so hard to swallow. Like when he got the DUI, instead of being regretful and apologetic he basically said to everyone "fuck the haters". And then the whole 151 drama where, after always saying that he would do anything for the UFC and would fight anyone, he ducked Chael and ruined the whole event. Granted 151 wasn't entirely his fault and a lot of blame falls on the booking too, but fact is he ducked an easy win fight and ruined shit for a lot of people. The guy is just so into himself and thinks he's the man to the point where it makes most people sick :P

Last nights bonuses:

Cub Swanson KO
    TJ Grant/Evan Dunham FOTN
    Jon Jones Sub (I think this should have gone to Vinny for sure - not sure why it didn't)

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    He's arrogant and narcissistic as well as being the supreme ruler of the non-apology.

-He said people were mad at the DUI because they're haters and he doesn't care. Blows the whole thing off as though it wasn't a big deal.

-He said "I will take the blame for 151" in an interview and then immediately (in tweets) blames Henderson and the UFC for 151.

-He wouldn't sign a fan's replica belt because it looked too much like his own belt and the fan didn't earn it like he did.

-A week before the 151 fiasco said "I will fight Chael Sonnen" and is now saying "Sonnen doesn't deserve a title shot because he's disrepectful - I don't want to fight him" (This isn't in reference to the short-notice fight)

-Says "I was thinking about paying the fighter's salaries (from 151) but they complained it was my fault, so now I wont"

-Refers to himself as the nicest guy in the world because he gives out free shit to people. "I'm probably the nicest guy I know"

etc etc etc etc (There's a lot more)

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    hamill looked pretty terrible but man that other dude was about as effective as a turtle when he was on his back. Also, yeah, probably should have been stopped in the first round with the 800 unanswered shots.

• Options
    Yeah, I think Hollett deserves to be cut for that shit.

If you can't even throw strikes at (or do anything but stand flat-footed in front of) a gassed opponent when being touted as this amazing boxer, you're not UFC caliber.

I could have fucking beaten Hamill that night.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    You've Johnson listed as Featherweight champion. He's Flyweight.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    Alright, I think the OP is done.

Figured we could get back to basics for a bit.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Why do most of you guys hate Jones? Is it only the DUI (I could totally understand that if so)? Or is it something else?

Pretty much what Spectre and everybody else said.

During his interview with Rogan last night, he said he knows he can beat Chael, yet when he had the chance to prove it, he turned it down, even though he was completely ready and Chael wasn't at all. He also talked about respect, which is funny because he has shown over and over again that he has none for fellow fighters like Chael.

He treated his DUI situation like it was nothing, even though he could have easily killed someone.

The dude's an egomaniac, and he genuinely doesn't believe he deserves any hate or ill feelings towards himself. When talking about the UFC151 situation and how everybody was "getting mad at him for nothing", he brushed it off and said he'd gladly "carry the cross." Yes, he actually compared himself to Jesus.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Holy fuck at that armbar in the first round. We nearly had the biggest upset since Tito beat his wife.

Vitor did his usual in a big fight though, though this one is definitely more understandable than most.

• Options
    He (was rumored to have) had a broken rib/hand going into the fight.

If so, it's still awesome.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Goose! wrote: »

Pretty much what Spectre and everybody else said.

During his interview with Rogan last night, he said he knows he can beat Chael, yet when he had the chance to prove it, he turned it down, even though he was completely ready and Chael wasn't at all. He also talked about respect, which is funny because he has shown over and over again that he has none for fellow fighters like Chael.

He treated his DUI situation like it was nothing, even though he could have easily killed someone.

The dude's an egomaniac, and he genuinely doesn't believe he deserves any hate or ill feelings towards himself. When talking about the UFC151 situation and how everybody was "getting mad at him for nothing", he brushed it off and said he'd gladly "carry the cross." Yes, he actually compared himself to Jesus.

Also john jones has a finance and 2 kids at home. They used to make a big deal about how she's his high school sweet heart @ the ufc's she attended.

And at the time of the dui had two drunk girls in the car too.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/31/3054565/ufc-champion-jon-jones-had-2-girls-with-him-at-time-of-dwi-loretta

he be creeping? I mean.... he inst married but they live together and have kids. Struck me as odd him being intoxicated with two broads rolling around.

I never went from liking a fighter to hating a dude so fast. (( all reasons listed, not just this))

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Hamill desperately needs a new camp and new trainers. Get out of your comfort zone, man.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    edited: actually why do i fucking care

815165 on
  • Options
    CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Haven't seen this posted yet.
    http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/8416151/dana-white-jon-jones-chael-sonnen-demand-force-it
    DFW says if people keep asking for jones/sonnen he'll make it.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    I don't want to see it.

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i want to see it

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    I'd watch it.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    I like Jones b/c of his fights, not b/c he's a tool. Also, from
    Belfort asked for this fight and would have preferred to have walked away victorious. And though he left the Octagon a loser, Belfort knocked the label of invincibility off of Jones. There will be many light heavyweights lining up, begging UFC president Dana White and matchmaker Joe Silva for a chance to face Jones.

I'm SURE there are "many" LHWs asking DFW/JS to let them get THEIR face carves off by elbows. Right.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    I gotta say, Mighty Mouse has p4p the best chin in MMA.

You could probably hit him in the face with a sledge hammer and he wouldn't flinch.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i will fight jon jones

*stands on desk*

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Dangerbird wrote: »

You could probably hit him in the face with a sledge hammer and he wouldn't flinch.

Its an awful lot easier to have a "p4p chin" when the guys hitting you wiegh 125lbs. There aren't as many KOs in the lower weights not because of chins, but because of diminishing punching power.

I wish that fight had spent more time on the ground. At least in bjj there is a real chance that one guy can actually stop the other. Neither guy was doing any damage with punches, and most of the punches were missing anyway. I didn't find it very entertaining. Little guys often work very well on the ground, but it seems like you need to wear them out first. At the start of the fight they can't be held down because they're too light and energetic; the guy on the bottom seems to be able to spring up every time. Only once they get tired can they start to pin each other down and do some methodical ground work.

It doesn't bode too well for the 125lbs division, in my mind. They'll have a very hard time headling a PPV card with a title fight from that division.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Vladimir Matyushenko (@vladthejanitor)
    9/22/12 11:00 PM
    Damn! Even injured I could beat @Hammerufc and @rogerhollett together! What a weak fight!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/9/23/3375888/dana-white-names-top-five-pay-per-view-draws-in-company?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Gary Mangat (@saintlion)
    9/22/12 11:33 PM
    Someone jus yelled out "Fight for Middle Earth!!!" during Benevidez/Johnson fight #ufc152 LMAO

Oh, man. This guy. Pretty sure he's a comedian: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctKH7saxjfU&amp;feature=youtu.be

Mike Chiappetta MMA (@MikeChiappetta)
    9/21/12 6:59 PM
    For anyone wondering how much Belfort cut since he's technically coming from middleweight, Sperry told me he was about 217 on Wed. #UFC152

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Its an awful lot easier to have a "p4p chin" when the guys hitting you wiegh 125lbs. There aren't as many KOs in the lower weights not because of chins, but because of diminishing punching power.

Pretty much, same reason there are so many KO / TKO's at LHW and HW, big monsters swinging for the fences before they gas.

• Options
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    scaled.php?server=513&filename=rory.jpg&res=landing

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Pretty much, same reason there are so many KO / TKO's at LHW and HW, big monsters swinging for the fences before they gas.

You guys have a point, but Benavidez, a guy who was just killing dudes at 135, was smoking Johnson in the face all night long and it pretty much had zero effect. Even that one knockdown was more due to Johnson being on one foot.

And I think at this point, Rory MacDonald takes the moniker of "Creepy" away from Joe Lauzon. I just get a really weird vibe from him whenever hes on camera.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

When I saw this .... all i could think is hipster. Is that the right word?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

You guys have a point, but Benavidez, a guy who was just killing dudes at 135, was smoking Johnson in the face all night long and it pretty much had zero effect. Even that one knockdown was more due to Johnson being on one foot.

And I think at this point, Rory MacDonald takes the moniker of "Creepy" away from Joe Lauzon. I just get a really weird vibe from him whenever hes on camera.
    He did talk with a serial killer's matter of fact-ness when he was answering the question "have you every broken your opponent's arms/legs".

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular

Rory looks like a Hipster serial killer.

• Options
    Yeah, there's something about that picture that makes it seem like Rory is imitating human emotions to win our trust.

Also, I dress a lot like that.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ebel dresses a lot like clark kent

i have never seen ebel and superman at the same time

hmm

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

When I saw this .... all i could think is hipster. Is that the right word?

Yes, but he looks odd even for a hipster.

A brown tie? Really?

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    apparantly roy jones jr is now fighting kimbo
    wtf

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Good lord Mr. Bateman does exist!

• Options
    edited September 2012
    winner gets seth petruzelli

815165 on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    apparantly roy jones jr is now fighting kimbo
    wtf

Finally it's Kimbo's time to shine.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    I'm more of a surly physics major than a mild mannered reporter.

Fuck off and die.