As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So I settled on this case instead: it has a nicer design, plus it's got a kickstand too!

Coincidentally the iPhone 7 plus arrived today, a week earlier than planned. Hope I can be super careful with it until then.

In the meantime, I'm trying to backup my old phone, but there isn't enough space on my drive. Right now I'm moving stuff around to make room, but I was trying to follow this guide on how to change the backup location: https://www.fonepaw.com/solution/change-itunes-backup-location.html

It won't work for me, probably because Windows 10 keeps opening up Powershell instead of CMD.

In any event, any ideas how to move the backup location, or should I just uninstall iTunes and reinstall it to where I want?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    That looks like a good one! Sorry I didn't get any pics up for you, but I think that one looks slightly less bulky than mine, so you should be happy.

I'm not seeing options to change the backup location in itunes, so yeah, probably just reinstall, hopefully that does it.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    So I settled on this case instead: it has a nicer design, plus it's got a kickstand too!

Coincidentally the iPhone 7 plus arrived today, a week earlier than planned. Hope I can be super careful with it until then.

In the meantime, I'm trying to backup my old phone, but there isn't enough space on my drive. Right now I'm moving stuff around to make room, but I was trying to follow this guide on how to change the backup location: https://www.fonepaw.com/solution/change-itunes-backup-location.html

It won't work for me, probably because Windows 10 keeps opening up Powershell instead of CMD.

In any event, any ideas how to move the backup location, or should I just uninstall iTunes and reinstall it to where I want?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/894430/creating-hard-and-soft-links-using-powershell
    - this question/answer should help; powershell does have a link command and, as the first answer says, you can straight up call a CMD prompt call from PS if you want.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Virtually all cmd commands work fine in Powershell directly

• Options
    Just to double check, this is the latest Pro model, correct?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=invoice&A=details&Q=&sku=1342466&is=REG

Never bought from these guys, so I hope it's all legit.

While I wait for that, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a mini cover or bag to protect the iPad. I've got the official Smart Keyboard for my current iPad, but I also take it with me to work in a book bag. This has resulted in a couple of minor dents on the sides (thankfully not the screen) and back.

I want to avoid that and keep the iPad as pristine as possible, but I don't want to add extra bulk to it; I just want something that can protect it during my book at travels, while I continue to use just the art keyboard when carrying it around the house and so on. Alternatively, if there is a Smart Cover/Keyboard hybrid that's better than the official brand in regards to protection and form factor, I would like to know about that as well.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    B&H is legit.

• Options
    Well to rephrase, I hope they are legit in that they will ship it properly and not give me the wrong model, etc.

This looks like it should offer the protection I need: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072QCJKDH/ref=pd_gwm_simh_0?pf_rd_p=cc000f63-21ee-4dc4-b9b6-9082ebacae63&pf_rd_s=blackjack-personal-1&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=7MFVWNMWPQ3XQ9JFV4V2&pd_rd_wg=hPCrs&pd_rd_r=7MFVWNMWPQ3XQ9JFV4V2&pf_rd_r=7MFVWNMWPQ3XQ9JFV4V2&pf_rd_p=cc000f63-21ee-4dc4-b9b6-9082ebacae63&pd_rd_w=8B9Hz&pd_rd_i=B072QCJKDH

But again, I'm looking for something that can fit both the iPad and the Smart Keyboard inside it. I'd rather not separate the two, and just get something that's like a mini briefcase for it.

• Options
    I settled on this bag for the iPad, and it seems to work as intended: fits both the iPad and the smart keyboard snuggly, and hopefully will protect its corners when I walk to and from work.

Question about the iPhone 7 Plus, though: is it normal for it to get warm to the touch? Perhaps it depends on what you're running on it and for how long (I've been plugging in a whole lot of hours of FF Record Keeper during work), and the phone feels a bit warm on my hands and even on my pocket. Just wondering if that's normal or not.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    I settled on this bag for the iPad, and it seems to work as intended: fits both the iPad and the smart keyboard snuggly, and hopefully will protect its corners when I walk to and from work.

Question about the iPhone 7 Plus, though: is it normal for it to get warm to the touch? Perhaps it depends on what you're running on it and for how long (I've been plugging in a whole lot of hours of FF Record Keeper during work), and the phone feels a bit warm on my hands and even on my pocket. Just wondering if that's normal or not.

Yeah, it'll get warm during gaming and while recharging. I've never had mine get what I'd consider to be hot, though. Just definitely warmer than room temp.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Bloomburg report on the iPhone 8:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-30/how-apple-plans-to-change-the-way-you-use-the-next-iphone

There are def things about it that seem cool, but I dunno how I feel about this:
    With a crisper screen that takes up nearly the entire front, Apple has tested the complete removal of the home button—even a digital one—in favor of new gesture controls for tasks like going to the main app grid and opening multitasking...

Across the bottom of the screen there’s a thin, software bar in lieu of the home button. A user can drag it up to the middle of the screen to open the phone. When inside an app, a similar gesture starts multitasking. From here, users can continue to flick upwards to close the app and go back to the home screen.
    We'll have to see how this works in practice, but this sounds kinda awkward and unintuitive.

The cut out at the top seems like it might be awkward as well...
    Apple has opted to not hide the notch area at the top of the screen, showing a definitive cutout at the top of apps with non-black backgrounds. The cutout is noticeable during app usage in the middle of the very top of the screen,

wandering on
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'll just say I'm glad I'm on a 1.5 generation rotation. Let them experiment a bit then refine and I'll upgrade then.

• Options
    No word on USB C replacing the Lightning connector? That’s kinda my dealbreaker here.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    No word on USB C replacing the Lightning connector? That’s kinda my dealbreaker here.

Remember when they switched from the Dock Connector to Lightning and the shitstorm that was? Apple won't be going to USB-C in lieu of Lightning for at least a few more years.

• Options
    Yeah, I figured. Even moreso with all the people that screamed about dropping the headphone jack.
    It’s just that USB 3.1 and the C type connector are everything Lightning wanted to be and then some.

• Options
    Yeah, I figured. Even moreso with all the people that screamed about dropping the headphone jack.
    It’s just that USB 3.1 and the C type connector are everything Lightning wanted to be and then some.

It wasn't ready at the time and Apple was gonna move on, so...

It's not like they haven't embraced it on their Macs, either.

• Options
    KPC wrote: »

That’s the part that doesn’t make sense; at some point they’re going to have to make USB C to Lightning the default connector OOB and then what? Will they finally hold both ends of the cable up to each other and realise what horror they have wrought?

• Options
    KPC wrote: »

That’s the part that doesn’t make sense; at some point they’re going to have to make USB C to Lightning the default connector OOB and then what? Will they finally hold both ends of the cable up to each other and realise what horror they have wrought?

They don't really have to. A rich ecosystem has sprung up around Lightning. For mobile devices it's a smaller plug that does most of what USB-C does. Right now Lightning cables are cheaper and better regulated, and everyone has a bunch of them. So for now, it's good enough.

Maybe in a few years they'll make the switch, if USB-C can provide a functionality that Lightning can't.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2017
    Apple wanted it to be usb-c years ago, but it wasnt ready. Apple was one of the principal designers of usb-c.

They went with lightning because usb-c was still years off and they needed to get away from the 30 pin dock connector.

I figure by 2020 they will move to USB-c, since everyone who bought lightning headphones last year would be furious at apple for chaning the port one year after that change.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    Apple wanted it to be usb-c years ago, but it wasnt ready. Apple was one of the principal designers of usb-c.

They went with lightning because usb-c was still years off and they needed to get away from the 30 pin dock connector.

I figure by 2020 they will move to USB-c, since everyone who bought lightning headphones last year would be furious at apple for chaning the port one year after that change.
    Well, they could've waited to get rid of the headphone jack until they switched over to USB-C! (Or just not gotten rid of the headphone jack...)

• Options
    wandering wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

Well, they could've waited to get rid of the headphone jack until they switched over to USB-C! (Or just not gotten rid of the headphone jack...)

That's a separate discussion entirely.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Well, I pre-ordered the 8 Plus this morning from bestbuy.ca. I'm on a corporate contract so I'm hoping there won't be any account issues when I go in to pick up the phone. Here's hoping that I can get it on the 22nd!

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Anxious to see if the iPhone SE gets the A10 or maybe even A11 processor next March.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I ended up preordering a white regular iPhone 8. I'm still on a 6+ going on 3 years now, and I'd already decided I wanted to step back to a smaller form factor. The iPhone X is technically smaller, but still not as small as the 8, and I don't think I'm ready to make the move from Touch ID to Face ID, and I'm totally fine with the smaller screen size. The biggest issue I have with my 6+ is how slow it has gotten, so the upgraded internals of the 8 should solve that.

It was a lot easier to preorder this than I remember iPhones being in the past. Maybe everyone else is holding out for the X. Fine by me.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Baron DirigibleBaron Dirigible Registered User regular
    I think I'm at the point where I'm happy to keep sitting out update cycles -- I bought my 6 outright on the assumption that it would be good enough to last me a few years, and so far I haven't been proven wrong. Even when I smashed the screen last year and had to go back to my 5 for a few weeks, the only thing I found myself missing was Touch ID.

The new iPhone 8 does make the iPad Pro a more reasonable proposition, though, in context. I was easily able to justify buying the iPhone 6 outright as it was, and remains, my most-used piece of gear outside of my glasses, which I kind of need to see. And as much as I like the look of the iPad Pro, it probably wouldn't get anywhere as much use for the dollar. That said -- between a new iPhone 8 which probably won't change my iPhone use in any measurable way, and an iPad Pro that provides a new form factor and could replace my laptop 90% of the time, I could be swayed towards the latter. Especially because it's cheaper.

Also, no ProMotion on any of the new iPhones? Is that an easy carry-over for the 8S?

• Options
    Downloaded the iOS11 GM onto my iPhone and man things feel so much snappier now. I'm guessing they reduced the time for transition effects and whatnot.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Downloaded the iOS11 GM onto my iPhone and man things feel so much snappier now. I'm guessing they reduced the time for transition effects and whatnot.
    Not just that; the entire file system has been redone (copy-on-write being the big saver there) and the new image/video formats implemented. There’s actually a whole lotta really neat under-the-hood stuff going on in there.

Also, 11 is an iPad release in the same way 10 was an iPhone release: all the neatest new UI/UX features are tablet specific. If you’re holding out on a new iPad, now is the time.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Anyone know an app that lets you put your email address and contact info on the lock screen?

The one I was using is dead as of iOS 11.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Can't you make a lockscreen images with that information?

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Find my iPhone will do all that sort of thing. Lets you track it if you lose it, remotely lock it, display a message/play a sound, etc. Is pretty useful.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Find my iPhone will do all that sort of thing. Lets you track it if you lose it, remotely lock it, display a message/play a sound, etc. Is pretty useful.

and can be accessed from any web browser so long as you have your un/pw

turning that shit on should be mandatory for all non-company phones

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    It has definitely found my phone for me. Go figure, you can't find the black thing on the black furniture in the slightly shadowed apartment until you tell it to make noises.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Can't you make a lockscreen images with that information?

That's essentially what the app does. So when I switch wallpapers I regenerate the image with whatever wallpaper I've chosen.

Honestly kind of a pain, it would be nice if it was built in. Though as dporowski points out, maybe I can use Find My iPhone.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Feels like my battery is way worse under 11 but it was already pretty bad so who knows. Should probably just pony up for a new one.

• Options
    My wife dropped her phone in a Walmart parking lot about a year ago and by the time we realized it was missing someone had already scooped it up. We flipped on Find My Phone, posted a message to the lock screen and tracked the damn thing down the road like a hunting dog but since there's a small delay and it's not 100% accurate we could never find the folks; not like like we could tell what vehicle it would have been in anyway.

My wife had to lie and say our irreplaceable wedding pictures were on the thing in order to get enough sympathy from whoever took it to call me up and offer to return it. Otherwise I thought for sure that it was gone forever. Judging by how skeezy looking the guy that took it looked I have little doubt.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    My girlfriend used to work Apple retail -- A woman came in after her phone and car had been stolen. The thief, being either unaware or a moron, had left the phone on. Together they tracked the phone/car using find my phone and coordinated with the police to make the arrest/recover the stuff. The woman later brought cookies.

True story.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Well, I got me an iPhone 8 plus. My first iPhone. This thing is great. Are there any neat tips and tricks that you guys can suggest? How about cases? What should I look for and avoid?

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Well, I got me an iPhone 8 plus. My first iPhone. This thing is great. Are there any neat tips and tricks that you guys can suggest? How about cases? What should I look for and avoid?

3D Touch all the things; in most on the toggles in Control Center there are extra functions when you 3D Touch them. Same with most apps on the home screen. There's a Tips app that you should go through.

Don't "quit" apps unless they're unresponsive. iOS does a great job of managing resources and will kill apps automatically if you haven't been using them. Saves you battery life, too.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular

Apple cases are quality but pricey. I've used their basic silicone case before and it has a nice grippy feel and offers good protection without adding a huge amount to the thickness of the phone. 7 Plus cases will fit the 8 Plus. Since you have a Plus, you might also consider a wallet case. A wallet case on the Plus will hold three or four credit cards and your DL. I've carried one for a while and it's nice because it eliminates a thing that needs to go in my pockets when I leave the house and it makes my wallet findable with Find My iPhone and my Apple Watch.

There are battery cases, too, but since you have a Plus you probably won't need one unless you just really use the hell out of it all day long. I've gone a week without charging my 7 Plus.

With the 8, you could also legitimately consider going without a case if you're not prone to dropping your phone. The aluminum of the 7's case survived drops easily, but it also scratched really easily. The danger with the 8 is that if you drop it the glass back might break (which I suspect is unlikely, unless you drop it from a great height, but I haven't seen this tested yet). But... it's steel and glass and should be very difficult to scratch.

• Options
    I really really like the leather cases Apple does. They age nicely I think. Decently grippy, some protection too.

iCloud backup is the shit, too. Apple Music is awesome, like, I use the shit out of it, possibly my only monthly subscription thing that I get my money's worth from.

Airpods are absolutely bloody amazing. If you think you're going to go for BT headphones, I can't recommend them enough. They're no IEM or anything, so if your primary concern is audio you'll want to look there, but for "pretty good" sound and unbelievable convenience, they win.

• Options
    I'm with you on your second and third points. Apple's music is great and I love my Airpods. I picked up a case and a glass screen protector today, but I may check out some drop tests on YouTube.