As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    One thing to note, some cases could potentially affect the wireless charging ability of the 8/8+. I think it needs to be less than like 3 mm and also not have any metal on the back (interferes with the magnetic induction needed to charge wirelessly). So just keep that in mind when looking at cases.

I ended up getting an Otter Symmetry case, since it has good protection in a minimal profile. It supposedly works with wireless charging, but I haven’t tried it personally yet.

As for the phone itself, I love the 8. I’ve been rocking a 6+ for three years now, and I’m actually really enjoying going back to the smaller profile. It’s also snappy as shit. I forgot what it’s like having a fast phone. The iPhone 6+ was always just a bit slow even from the beginning, and it has only gotten worse over the years. The iPhone 8 just feels blazing fast to me in comparison, which is really all I cared about for this upgrade cycle. So I’m happy.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    I had purchased a plastic Otterbox-style case, but I hated it. It was cheap-looking and added too much bulk to the phone. So I returned it and picked up an official Apple leather case. It was definitely the right choice.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Is a leather case going to do anything if you drop it?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Probably not as much as an Otterbox, no. But it will protect from scuffs and scratches if I do drop it.

I can count on one hand the number of times I dropped my last phone, and only one of those drops was onto concrete. I'm not that worried, and at this point I'm more concerned about scratch protection and adding grip than drop protection. If I have better grip on my phone, there's less chance of me dropping it.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    My sister attempted to buy an iPhone 7 last week to replace her 5S but mistakenly bought the iPhone 7 Plus as she wanted "the big one" like her husband had purchased, but as it turns out he only had an iPhone 7 and the Plus was too big for her.

She went in yesterday and exchanged it. She was originally gonna get an iPhone 7 but I talked her into an iPhone 8. It was only an extra $5 per month, had the storage she wanted (64GB instead of the 32GB she would have on the iPhone 7) and I just may as well go for the new thing.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    If I'm buying a new iphone 8 and plan to restore my previous phone contents to it via a backup, does my old phone need to be using iOS 11?

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    If I'm buying a new iphone 8 and plan to restore my previous phone contents to it via a backup, does my old phone need to be using iOS 11?

iCloud backup: Nope, no problem.

Other backup: No idea, not used that in years.

• Options
    Guys, I know this sounds cliché as fuck, but I love this phone. I really can't believe that I kept using an Android phone and bashing Apple for all these years.

It's pretty, it's user friendly, and it just works.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    dporowski wrote: »
    Catalase wrote: »

iCloud backup: Nope, no problem.

Other backup: No idea, not used that in years.
    Yeah iTunes backup... Don't use icloud much

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    iCloud backup is pretty great, I have to say. New phone? Sign in, poke the one you wanna restore from, bam, that am now your phone. (For a value of bam that may take a few minutes.) I just really like not having to plug into my mac ever.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Got my AirPods just now. Hahahaha I love them.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

they are pretty great

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options

Nice. I found that they were great with my Android phone, and even better with the iPhone. The sound could always be a bit better, but the convenience more than makes up for the lack in sound.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I am considering getting an iPad Pro + Apple Pencil primarily for digital art using Procreate and Sketch Book Pro. Anyone here have experience using the iPad Pro for this sort of thing? From what I've seen there is like no input lag, especially in Procreate. I'm pretty convinced I'd like it, but if anyone has had reasons I might not please let me know. Also not sure which model to get. The 10.5" is the most tempting because its significantly cheaper and since I'd love to use it on the go or sitting on the couch, the smaller size might be best. On the other hand I might wish I had a bigger screen. Is there any performance difference between them?

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I am considering getting an iPad Pro + Apple Pencil primarily for digital art using Procreate and Sketch Book Pro. Anyone here have experience using the iPad Pro for this sort of thing? From what I've seen there is like no input lag, especially in Procreate. I'm pretty convinced I'd like it, but if anyone has had reasons I might not please let me know. Also not sure which model to get. The 10.5" is the most tempting because its significantly cheaper and since I'd love to use it on the go or sitting on the couch, the smaller size might be best. On the other hand I might wish I had a bigger screen. Is there any performance difference between them?

there was a difference right up until this most recent release, but the 10.5 and 12.9 are basically identical now. The 12.9 has higher resolution but both have the exact same pixel density, so the screen is the same crispness regardless of size.

I use it for notes more than drawing, but yeah, 100% input lag free. You definitely don't notice is because they double the refresh rate whenever the pencil is on the screen, its pretty remarkable.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular

12.9 is amazing for screen real estate however, it's quite difficult to carry around compared to the 10.5. The 12.9 has less accessory options compared to the 10.5. I would try and pop to a store that has them both on display to get a size idea. If you do get one then twelvesouth do a really good iPad stand that is perfect for drawing on.

For digital art, its great for the no input lag and in general i've enjoyed it more for the day to day sketches. ProCreate is excellent and worth the investment. Ive found lag with Sketchbook Pro but it might have had an update since i've last used it? Also do you have a Mac? If so then you need to get Astropad.

The iPad pros are still miles behind for the pressure sensitivity compared to a Wacom. The equivalent Wacom however, is over twice the price.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Ziggymon wrote: »

12.9 is amazing for screen real estate however, it's quite difficult to carry around compared to the 10.5. The 12.9 has less accessory options compared to the 10.5. I would try and pop to a store that has them both on display to get a size idea. If you do get one then twelvesouth do a really good iPad stand that is perfect for drawing on.

For digital art, its great for the no input lag and in general i've enjoyed it more for the day to day sketches. ProCreate is excellent and worth the investment. Ive found lag with Sketchbook Pro but it might have had an update since i've last used it? Also do you have a Mac? If so then you need to get Astropad.

The iPad pros are still miles behind for the pressure sensitivity compared to a Wacom. The equivalent Wacom however, is over twice the price.

Thanks for that insight! I thik the 10.5" is definitely the way to go for me. I have a PC but apparently there is a different app I could use called Duet Display. I think I'd need some kind of adapter perhaps, but my laptop does have a usb c port.

I figured that about the pressure sensitivity compared to a Wacom. Should be fine for me I think. I use it but I'm way more concerned with it feeling smooth as I draw. I don't know when I'll be able to get one of these though, might not be for a while but I wanted to seriously look into it.

DarkMecha on
    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Is it possible to use an iPad as a drawing tablet in conjunction with software on a Mac? Like could I set it up to mimic using a Wacom tablet in Photoshop?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    Is it possible to use an iPad as a drawing tablet in conjunction with software on a Mac? Like could I set it up to mimic using a Wacom tablet in Photoshop?

You should check out Duet and Astropad: Astropad Studio vs Duet Pro: Which second-screen drawing tablet for iPad Pro reigns supreme?

• Options
    So anybody else manage to get an iPhone X?

First impressions:

The thing is beautifully made, Really looks and feels awesome to hold and reminds me of the original 2G phone in feel. Feels small and easy to carry if anyone thought the Plus models were too big to hold. Setting up was relatively painless, and Face ID works really well. The screen is amazing and really something you want to keep using.

The gesture OS does work but takes some getting used to. You have to drag the apps away like pulling up the task bar in other iPhones.

Now the biggest issue for me is that a number of apps are just not designed for the new gestures or Face ID in mind. In particular banking apps I have seen just crash or render useless as they still ask for Touch ID.

Other smaller issues, Apple Pay is really fussy to use, you have to look at the phone then double tap the power button to activate it which takes far too long in my opinion.

• Options

First impressions:

The thing is beautifully made, Really looks and feels awesome to hold and reminds me of the original 2G phone in feel. Feels small and easy to carry if anyone thought the Plus models were too big to hold. Setting up was relatively painless, and Face ID works really well. The screen is amazing and really something you want to keep using.

The gesture OS does work but takes some getting used to. You have to drag the apps away like pulling up the task bar in other iPhones.

Now the biggest issue for me is that a number of apps are just not designed for the new gestures or Face ID in mind. In particular banking apps I have seen just crash or render useless as they still ask for Touch ID.

Other smaller issues, Apple Pay is really fussy to use, you have to look at the phone then double tap the power button to activate it which takes far too long in my opinion.

I've used the X but won't get mine until Monday. I'm surprised that apps that need authentication are crashing due to Face ID. Supposedly, Apple's biometric authorization API hasn't changed, so even apps that haven't been updated for the X should get the standard Face ID UI when they ask for authorization.

As for gestures, if you find the "pull up to multitask" motion irritating, then I think you can swipe left or right over the home indicator to switch between apps.

Also, for Apple Pay, doesn't holding your phone near the merchant's payment device automatically kick off the Apple Pay process? Seems like you could just hold your phone near the cash register and then look at it once it makes the RFID connection and the Apple Pay screen appears.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    htm wrote: »

First impressions:

I've used the X but won't get mine until Monday. I'm surprised that apps that need authentication are crashing due to Face ID. Supposedly, Apple's biometric authorization API hasn't changed, so even apps that haven't been updated for the X should get the standard Face ID UI when they ask for authorization.

As for gestures, if you find the "pull up to multitask" motion irritating, then I think you can swipe left or right over the home indicator to switch between apps.

Also, for Apple Pay, doesn't holding your phone near the merchant's payment device automatically kick off the Apple Pay process? Seems like you could just hold your phone near the cash register and then look at it once it makes the RFID connection and the Apple Pay screen appears.

The more ive used the X interface, the more i'm enjoying it. The multi tasking works really well and smooth.

Im surprised and well as I thought like you all apps that used Touch ID just changed to Face ID with an update. However, in the UK banking apps are notorious for being extremely slow to update or do stupid things to brick themselves. So i'm not surprised, for my bank it was asking for Touch ID to let me pass, so I disabled it and went back to entering a passcode. I'll expect an update by June since it took them 12 months to use Touch ID.

Other apps have adapted well, though some are just reverted to letterbox mode which sucks but Im expecting updates soon.

The Apple Pay, it will come up when you hold it near the card machine, but you have to both look at the device to activate Face ID then, you have to double click the power button to activate payment. going from just holding fingerprint down for a second, it feels like a painfully slow process.

Edit: I forgot the smaller really cool features of using it so far, notifications won't show any content or who is sending you them until you activate Face ID. So anyone else looks at the phone it'll only say 'notification' and what app which is really great security.

Also if you change your facial features such as remove glasses or shave, it'll ask for passcode during Face ID first time just to make sure but then it will remember that face again so you won't need to do it every time.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Trying to get my Apple Watch to send me text alerts while charging and still haven’t quite got it. Turned off wrist detection and passcode. It rings for calls but doesn’t give me texts and I have alerts for both set exactly the same so not sure what is going on.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I got my iPad Air in 2013. It has served me well, but newer games aren't running so well on it, and I'm starting to get some crashing here and there on particularly intensive games. Considering I work for a mobile pub/dev and use my iPad at work every day, I think it's about time I updated. I'd rather not spend the money, but as you can see this is a work related expense. With that in mind I'm thinking of jumping to a 2017 256gb 10.5" iPad Pro. Are there any particularly good upcoming Black Friday deals, or deals in general that I should be aware of?

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I got my iPad Air in 2013. It has served me well, but newer games aren't running so well on it, and I'm starting to get some crashing here and there on particularly intensive games. Considering I work for a mobile pub/dev and use my iPad at work every day, I think it's about time I updated. I'd rather not spend the money, but as you can see this is a work related expense. With that in mind I'm thinking of jumping to a 2017 256gb 10.5" iPad Pro. Are there any particularly good upcoming Black Friday deals, or deals in general that I should be aware of?

Black Friday is the one day a year on which Apple actually has a sale. Also, they sell refurbs, too, usually about 15 to 25% off of the usual price and under the same warranty as new.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    htm wrote: »

Black Friday is the one day a year on which Apple actually has a sale. Also, they sell refurbs, too, usually about 15 to 25% off of the usual price and under the same warranty as new.

Would they be offering any BF sales in addition to the refurb discount if you bought a refurbished one on BF?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    I've never really seen an Apple sale that was "great". I mean money's money, but like, they were taking 100 bucks off an iMac or something last time I looked.

• Options
    Should I go for $650 for BF pricing, or $615 for the same thing, but brand new open box?

• Options
    Depends how you feel about open box stuff. Personally, I like unboxing things myself, cracking the seal and huffing all that electronic fume goodness, and Apple does make it enjoyable, too. I'm weird about that kind of stuff though. I'd say an open box/refurb/etc Apple product FROM Apple is going to be pretty damn trustworthy/solid though, so wouldn't worry on that front.

• Options
    I got my iPhone X, and even now I am getting annoyed at the home button and touch ID on my iPad Pro.

What apple has made is such a hit that it is making their other UX, which used to feel like the gold standard, feel kind of clunky.

It's like they took all the best parts of WebOS and stirred it into their apple secret sauce.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    I got my iPhone X, and even now I am getting annoyed at the home button and touch ID on my iPad Pro.

What apple has made is such a hit that it is making their other UX, which used to feel like the gold standard, feel kind of clunky.

It's like they took all the best parts of WebOS and stirred it into their apple secret sauce.

After a solid week of using my X I couldn’t agree more with this post. The UX is superior in almost every way..

...except apple pay, still feels clunky this method.

The Face ID is improving for me too so now I can be looking at a small distance or the phone on my desk and it will unlock. Brilliant stuff.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    syndalis wrote: »

After a solid week of using my X I couldn’t agree more with this post. The UX is superior in almost every way..

...except apple pay, still feels clunky this method.

The Face ID is improving for me too so now I can be looking at a small distance or the phone on my desk and it will unlock. Brilliant stuff.

I dont mind the Apple pay method beause I have multiple cards in there.

So double tap side button, look a the screen and scroll to card, by then the faceid recognition has happened, and I tap it.

That said, I still mostly do apple pay from the watch

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    FUCK Apple. For a couple months now I've been clicking no over and over again to their annoying popup trying to force me to update to iOS 11, because I have several dozen games I'm still playing through that don't support it. I guess Apple got tired of asking, because I just woke up and my iPad updated itself without asking me. Go to hell Apple.

Edit: What would be less of a pain in the ass, figuring out how to downgrade my iOS version, or just getting a PC emulator for the apps I still wanted to play?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    IIRC, the only way to downgrade is to factory reset to that version manually.

OTOH, any emulator that doesn't involve paying Apple's developer fee is probably pirated, so...

• Options
    HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    Yo yo. My 6 has been incredibly slow for the past few weeks -- I think after upgrading to iOS 11.

And now I'm having issues with charging. Specifically, I will see one charge % when it's unplugged from power... and then it will jump up 10+% when I finally plug it in to charge. (I have a separate issue with my charge port being very finicky about connecting properly, but this seems like a hardware issue.)

Is this a common experience? I did see that study about iPhones slowing down massively -- or at least the massive spikes in people searching for "iphone slow" -- after each new iPhone launch. Is there some well-known issue with iOS 11 that could be slowing down my phone so massively?

• Options
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Yo yo. My 6 has been incredibly slow for the past few weeks -- I think after upgrading to iOS 11.

And now I'm having issues with charging. Specifically, I will see one charge % when it's unplugged from power... and then it will jump up 10+% when I finally plug it in to charge. (I have a separate issue with my charge port being very finicky about connecting properly, but this seems like a hardware issue.)

Is this a common experience? I did see that study about iPhones slowing down massively -- or at least the massive spikes in people searching for "iphone slow" -- after each new iPhone launch. Is there some well-known issue with iOS 11 that could be slowing down my phone so massively?

Short answer: Nah.

Long answer: Nah, but kinda. You're on a 3 year old device now, and while Apple is REALLY good about support, as things go on, the OS and apps does "more" and as such older phones have more to chew on, and since they have less hardware grunt to deal with it... Same as a desktop, really. There's just been more advancement in mobile procs/hardware in those years than on the desktop side, comparatively. Hell, I'm on a 7 and can feel the difference a little. For reference, here: https://browser.geekbench.com/ios-benchmarks. It's a near-hockey-stick shaped curve, these things. Kind of nuts.

As for the battery, historically I get about 2-3 years on an iPhone battery before it starts "going a little funny", not lasting as long, etc. I'd suspect you're starting to fall into that bracket.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Older phones being a little chuggy after an update is pretty par for the course. My 6S is also beginning to feel pretty bad.

That said, iOS 11 is kind of a fucking mess. I’m still getting all kinds of stupid little UI bugs in addition to the longer load times and app hang ups. I can’t remember if it was iOS 9 or 8 that resulted in a massive improvement for older phones after a similarly borked iteration, but I’m hoping to see that happen again, hopefully sooner than the next iPhone launch.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    On my 5S it did the charge percentage thing when the first battery was going out. Since I've gotten it replaced I haven't had that issue.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

As far as the finicky charge port, hitting it with some compressed air usually fixes that for me. That shit fills up with crud.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2017
    admanb wrote: »

As far as the finicky charge port, hitting it with some compressed air usually fixes that for me. That shit fills up with crud.

I had to go in with very fine tweezers to fix mine (both the charge port and also the headphone jack). Afterwards was good as new, but canned air wasn't enough to get it out, particularly from the headphone jack (as every time I would cram the connector in it was packing it tighter and tighter).

Gdiguy on