As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Gdiguy wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Hamurabi wrote: »
    Yo yo. My 6 has been incredibly slow for the past few weeks -- I think after upgrading to iOS 11.

And now I'm having issues with charging. Specifically, I will see one charge % when it's unplugged from power... and then it will jump up 10+% when I finally plug it in to charge. (I have a separate issue with my charge port being very finicky about connecting properly, but this seems like a hardware issue.)

Is this a common experience? I did see that study about iPhones slowing down massively -- or at least the massive spikes in people searching for "iphone slow" -- after each new iPhone launch. Is there some well-known issue with iOS 11 that could be slowing down my phone so massively?

As far as the finicky charge port, hitting it with some compressed air usually fixes that for me. That shit fills up with crud.

I had to go in with very fine tweezers to fix mine (both the charge port and also the headphone jack). Afterwards was good as new, but canned air wasn't enough to get it out, particularly from the headphone jack (as every time I would cram the connector in it was packing it tighter and tighter).

I've used a toothpick as well.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    God damn the iOS 11 split keyboard is terrible. Whose bright idea was it to replace part of the space bar with an undo button. It’s some of the worst design I’ve ever seen.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    So are they going to fix it? I just set my wife and my phone to November 1. First time I went to change it on my phone I just changed time zone but that put it in the looping restart. Luckily there's enough time between loops to make the change though.

What a joke.

• Options
    My phone seems fine? Maybe because I have background app refresh off? I dunno.

• Options
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    …no problems here so far (5:00 am) – did they clarify the time zones affected?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yep, following the instructions here to turn off notifications has stopped it from looping on my phone.

And also yes, there is a fix in an upcoming update which you can access with the beta program, which I've never done but maybe I will so I can have my beloved notifications still:

• Options
    Apple pushed out 11.2 earlier today.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Anyone have an IphoneX and want to post their likes and dislikes after having it for a while?

My wife just got an 8 and I'm still probably getting an X but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    Anyone have an IphoneX and want to post their likes and dislikes after having it for a while?

My wife just got an 8 and I'm still probably getting an X but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Ok heres mine :

Design ergonomics are amazing.
    The screen is gorgeous even compared to the Note 8 etc.
    Face ID works well.
    Having enhanced privacy on notifications not showing up unless you are viewing it is so useful.
    The UI UX is fantastic. It's far more natural to use than any other iOS.
    Battery Life is much better than expected.

Dislikes:

A large number of Apps are slow up update for the X and reverts to a letterbox mode.
    The device is very slippy without a case.
    I miss Touch ID on things like Apple Pay.
    The fact that the size options are limited to 64 Gb or 256GB annoys me as 128GB was my sweet spot.
    iOS 11 is still quite buggy in places.
    The camera while great still needs some software improvements to get it on par with the competition.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited December 2017
    The apps not being updated dont bother me too much since it just leaves black in the areas on the screen where bezels and buttons USED to be. Those apps make the phone look like a normal iPhone, which wasn't a bad thing up until a few weeks ago ;).

Touch ID is totally unmissed by me now that I adapted to the flow. touch ID may unlock a phone slightly faster, but in practice face ID feels lightning-fast when it comes to the little stuff like unlocking apps, banking, apple pay, etc. Stuff just happens and it almost feels like there is no security at all, at least until you hand your phone to someone else. I suspect Touch ID will be dead in the next 2 years on phones and laptops. Apple is all-in on face ID.

edit: the camera is fucking ridiculously good; the only competition it actually has is the new Google Pixel 2, which beats it (but barely). Portrait lighting is buggy, sure... but so was portrait mode in general when it launched. That will get sorted out, and nobody is doing anything like it on their devices at the moment (the lighting thing).

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    The apps not being updated dont bother me too much since it just leaves black in the areas on the screen where bezels and buttons USED to be. Those apps make the phone look like a normal iPhone, which wasn't a bad thing up until a few weeks ago ;).

Touch ID is totally unmissed by me now that I adapted to the flow. touch ID may unlock a phone slightly faster, but in practice face ID feels lightning-fast when it comes to the little stuff like unlocking apps, banking, apple pay, etc. Stuff just happens and it almost feels like there is no security at all, at least until you hand your phone to someone else. I suspect Touch ID will be dead in the next 2 years on phones and laptops. Apple is all-in on face ID.

edit: the camera is fucking ridiculously good; the only competition it actually has is the new Google Pixel 2, which beats it (but barely). Portrait lighting is buggy, sure... but so was portrait mode in general when it launched. That will get sorted out, and nobody is doing anything like it on their devices at the moment (the lighting thing).

Well as it's been explained before, these things that I do not like generally are software based and will improve over the coming months.

The camera while its good, has software issues, crashes buggy nature. This could very well be due to iOS11 again but I fully expect it to improve over time like the 7 Plus did in its software. For the technology involved, I expect it to wipe the floor with the Pixel 2 and the Note 8.

The transition from Touch ID to Face ID has been positive, but again still needs software revisions. For me and a lot of people it feels like when Touch ID was first introduced and is one major OS update to make it faster responsive.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Has Apple just been hungover and not coming into work this month or

EDIT: tweet I linked was from a nsfw account so I removed it.

august on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Is the iPad Pro a good substitute for a laptop

Or would I be better off getting the cheaper 2017 regular model

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    It depends on what you do, but if it is basic stuff (web, email, etc) the $350 model and a $100 keyboard case gets you (almost) everything besides Pencil support for less than half the cost of a fully-equipped Pro.

If you *need* the Pencil, then you need to be cross-shopping the lower-end Surface Pro models to at least be sure you don't like it better.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Do you guys have any guesses how much longer the SE will get updates? My mom and roommate are both still rocking the 5 and are resident to spending money on a 7 or 8.

august on
  • Options
    august wrote: »
    Do you guys have any guesses how much longer the SE will get updates? My mom and roommate are both still rocking the 5 and are resident to spending money on a 7 or 8.

I would wait, the current SE has the A9/M9 chipset which is the same as the 6s I believe and will be due an update soonish. Previous models have been updated late March which should get you more system updates in theory.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I got a iPod Touch for Christmas and I was wondering what are some good or needed apps to have for it? Is there any in particular that lets you watch Youtube videos without the annoying ads playing?

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    I got a iPod Touch for Christmas and I was wondering what are some good or needed apps to have for it? Is there any in particular that lets you watch Youtube videos without the annoying ads playing?

sadly google cracked down on that kind of player and has been issuing C&Ds on the various app platforms since they now charge money to remove ads ala youtube red.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Ziggymon wrote: »

I would wait, the current SE has the A9/M9 chipset which is the same as the 6s I believe and will be due an update soonish. Previous models have been updated late March which should get you more system updates in theory.

That said, I would guess the current SE will get updates until at least late 2019. Depends on whether they get the full iOS 12 or 13 release series.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    There's a good chance it'll get a refresh in the next few months. The MacRumors Buyer's Guide is a good resource - and it says to wait on the SE

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iOS

ApGJm0b.png?1

With that said it doesn't seem like there's any super-solid info about when the next SE might be coming out, and sometimes Apple just leaves a product to rot. (The Mac Mini hasn't been updated in years, for example.)

wandering on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    To be fair the SE is in a weird category of budget iPhone that has little precedent to go on.

The 5C was the closest to being the same thing as the SE, and there were three years before Apple tried another budget phone. Granted, the SE is presumably doing better since Apple hasn't axed it immediately.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    My mom's 5c is on its last legs, and I've been hoping that they're gonna announce a refreshed SE soon, but who knows. I think Apple often announces new hardware in March, so fingers crossed.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Thread title is a tad out of date, no?

• Options
    Thread title is a tad out of date, no?

Technically it is on the bottom still. It's even further on the bottom given the dongle is about 2" long :snap:

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I got some AirPods as a gift a few weeks back and I’m really liking them. Something came up and I don’t even know if it’s an issue but I figured I’d ask here.

For the first few days, the double tap was very sensitive, to the point where it would activate if I was just adjusting the AirPod in my ear. I got tired of Siri constantly coming up so I went into settings and turned off the double tap.

Then I thought I might want to use it when I’m playing music so I turned it back on and set it up for one to play/pause and the other to skip tracks. Except now it doesn’t recognize the double tap no matter how firmly I tap it.

Is this an issue I should be concerned with? I don’t use these for phone at all, they are 100% for watching or listening to media on my iPad. And I don’t use Siri.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    If you haven’t already, I’d suggest removing them from your list of Bluetooth devices and re-pairing them. Mine got wonky (not pairing quickly) after I’d had them for a few months and that fixed it up.

I love the things. I’m sure it’s very dependent on the person, but they fit me perfectly and haven’t fallen out once when I go running.

I did once accidentally drop the left earbud down three flights of stairs, but it worked fine even then, so! A+

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Is there an equivalent to Microsoft paint on the iPad? I'm looking for something that's easy for my daughter to play with and I don't mind paying a few bucks to make sure there's no advertisements.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Is there an equivalent to Microsoft paint on the iPad? I'm looking for something that's easy for my daughter to play with and I don't mind paying a few bucks to make sure there's no advertisements.

it depends on a features you want.

If you just want to give her paper to do art on, take a look at paper or penultimate.

If you want photo import and manipulation there are some amazingly sexy cool tools like procreate and affinity but might be a lot more than you need.

consider medibang or artstudio for something between the two.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Anyone have a good comparison / opinions on the new low end iPad that has pencil support vs getting a refurbished iPad pro?

I'm pretty much just going to use it for procreate and reading.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Anyone have a good comparison / opinions on the new low end iPad that has pencil support vs getting a refurbished iPad pro?

At least you're honest about it.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular

Here's a good breakdown: https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Overall the screen on the iPad Pro has more gizmos, like 120hz refresh rate, True Tone, and P3/wide gamut. Cameras are better for video, photos, and FaceTime on the Pro. The Pro has a 4 speaker layout compared to 2 on the new iPad, and there's a few other things that are different.

For reading the True Tone display might make a difference, and Procreate possibly benefits from a higher screen refresh rate. Just depends on how much more a refurbished iPad Pro is and if that extra amount is worth the differences to you.

• Options
    KPC wrote: »

Here's a good breakdown: https://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Overall the screen on the iPad Pro has more gizmos, like 120hz refresh rate, True Tone, and P3/wide gamut. Cameras are better for video, photos, and FaceTime on the Pro. The Pro has a 4 speaker layout compared to 2 on the new iPad, and there's a few other things that are different.

For reading the True Tone display might make a difference, and Procreate possibly benefits from a higher screen refresh rate. Just depends on how much more a refurbished iPad Pro is and if that extra amount is worth the differences to you.

Right like, I don't care about any of the gizmos, but if the refresh rate effects its use as a drawing tablet basically at all, I care about it deeply. I guess thats actually the question I'm asking, not which one but if there is a measurable difference between the two in that specific use case. I've had a hard time finding an answer in my very small googling.

I like to ART
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    I haven't used the new one yet, but here's The Verge review:
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/4/3/17188626/apple-ipad-review-pencil-processor-2018-education

Relevant quote, obviously YMMV:
    There is a speed difference between the iPad and the iPad Pro, but it’s not so great that I think anybody who buys this will care — or maybe even notice. (We’re talking an extra half-second to launch an app.) Drawing with the Apple Pencil on the iPad is just as good to me as on the iPad Pro, though true drawing professionals may notice a difference.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    I just the 2018 iPad, after a year of thinking about buying the iPad pro. I wanted something for work (I'm an engineer) to take to meetings for notes, and I liked the idea of the pencil for quick sketches and PDF annotation. The iPad pro seemed like overkill for me (i'm no artist, so I wasn't going to need some fancy drawing program that would really benefit from the pro).

I've only had it for a few days, but I'm really liking the 2018 ipad + pencil + keyboard cover combo. I'm mainly using OneNote for note taking and sketches, and I just got PDF Viewer for PDF drawing markups. Using dropbox to make my files accessible wherever I want them to be has worked really well. My work setup is completely Windows, but the Microsoft apps are working just fine on the iPad.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    The three biggest things that differentiate the two iPads for artists are the variable refresh rate (120hz tracking with the pencil is noticeable), truetone which helps the color profile stay good in different lightning conditions, and the screen design. The Pro has a laminated screen where there is no air gap between the pixels and the surface, which makes the pencil to screen feel really damn good and close to paper. On the 2018 iPad, there is a visible gap which gives you a tiny disconnect from where the pen touches down and where the ink appears.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    The three biggest things that differentiate the two iPads for artists are the variable refresh rate (120hz tracking with the pencil is noticeable), truetone which helps the color profile stay good in different lightning conditions, and the screen design. The Pro has a laminated screen where there is no air gap between the pixels and the surface, which makes the pencil to screen feel really damn good and close to paper. On the 2018 iPad, there is a visible gap which gives you a tiny disconnect from where the pen touches down and where the ink appears.

This is really the kind of stuff I needed to hear. It sounds silly but those are make or break things for someone like me. I just won't use it if it doesn't feel natural. Guess I'll start shopping for refurbished pros.

I like to ART
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular

Yeah, it makes sense that there would be those differences between the two models (there is the $320 price difference between the two models for a reason one would assume). I haven't used a Pro before, so it's probably that I don't know what I'm missing, but I haven't had any issues with using the pencil to do quick and dirty note taking or line sketches. For artists though, it certainly seems like the Pro is the better one.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist