As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I originally ordered the blue Pro Max... but I had second thoughts and cancelled that to get the natural titanium one. It means I won't get it until early November, but I can wait a little bit to avoid the feeling of having picked the wrong color for the next couple of years.

The Ultra 2 watch arrived yesterday. In hindsight last year's upgrade from Series 5 to Series 8 was completely unnecessary, but this upgrade I'm actually happy with.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Went ahead and decided to move forward with upgrading from the 12 Pro to the 15 Pro. Battery on this one has reached ‘terrible’ status, and with my first kid I find I’m taking more pictures than I’ve ever taken in my life, so those camera upgrades actually mean something now (same justification for upping my storage for the first time).

One amusing effect I didn’t consider is that, since I’ll be on USB-C and my wife will still be using lightning, we’ll finally be able to assign blame to who is constantly destroying charging cables around the house.

Ordered late, but looks to be here Monday.

Your battery became terrible after only 3 years? Is that normal?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited September 2023
    Went ahead and decided to move forward with upgrading from the 12 Pro to the 15 Pro. Battery on this one has reached ‘terrible’ status, and with my first kid I find I’m taking more pictures than I’ve ever taken in my life, so those camera upgrades actually mean something now (same justification for upping my storage for the first time).

One amusing effect I didn’t consider is that, since I’ll be on USB-C and my wife will still be using lightning, we’ll finally be able to assign blame to who is constantly destroying charging cables around the house.

Ordered late, but looks to be here Monday.

Your battery became terrible after only 3 years? Is that normal?

I think it’s a bit of an outlier, but not entirely unusual. I use my phone near constantly, so a) the battery wear is worse, and b) my standard for ‘terrible’ is probably different from the norm. My battery health is currently at 74%, which isn’t the end of the world, but it means I spend a lot of time in low power mode and that the device itself gets a little unreliable when I’m in that last 20% of battery life.

Edit: I also have some suspicion that the 12 series in particular shows battery issues sooner than you’d expect. The introduction of 5G and a lower capacity battery than the previous generation meant that it’s always been a little less long-lived than I’d like.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    The battery on my 12 Pro is offensive at this point and I spend 100% of the time in battery saver mode, so I’ll be going to a 15 Pro at some point soon. Since I bought a car last week I’m putting it off to avoid the rush but I feel like as soon as I can see it in stock locally I’ll take the plunge.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    The battery on my 12 Pro is offensive at this point and I spend 100% of the time in battery saver mode, so I’ll be going to a 15 Pro at some point soon. Since I bought a car last week I’m putting it off to avoid the rush but I feel like as soon as I can see it in stock locally I’ll take the plunge.

for what it's worth the 15 pro seems to do worse in battery than the other three models, if battery is important

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Six wrote: »

for what it's worth the 15 pro seems to do worse in battery than the other three models, if battery is important

The 15 Plus appears to be the new battery life king for iPhones, regularly beating the max by 1-2 hours

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    in my android experience you don't notice that much going from 60hz to 90 or 120. the real stark moment is if you try to go back to 60 after using 120 for a while.

What I'd actually say is that the "oh this is much faster than my old phone" is actually the 120hz screen in action. The smoothness of the animations is the real speed increase in daily life, and most of that is the faster refresh screen.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    in my android experience you don't notice that much going from 60hz to 90 or 120. the real stark moment is if you try to go back to 60 after using 120 for a while.

What I'd actually say is that the "oh this is much faster than my old phone" is actually the 120hz screen in action. The smoothness of the animations is the real speed increase in daily life, and most of that is the faster refresh screen.

Related to this, my wife is getting a 15 pro this week, replacing her 12 pro. I'm very interested to see what she thinks/notices on it since she is most definitely not a tech person. She's actually not super thrilled about the switch to USB-C since she has a lightning iPad and Powerbeats Pro which charge via lightning and this will be her only USB-C device.

I'm actually having to replace a bunch of chargers now so there are a couple of USB-C cables and a lightning cable to accommodate. In the living room we had a 2 port 90W charger that I had one USB-C cable and one lighting cable, one for me, one for her. Now I had to buy a 160W charger with 4 ports to accommodate a 2x USB-C and lightning.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    My only remaining lightning port device are my Air Pod Pros. I've debated getting the Pro 2's because of the new/better ambient noise modes, but it's hard to justify those are worth $180-200. I do most of my charging with Magsafe now so I won't need to use a lightning cable unless I need to charge my phone and headphones at the same time. That should be very rarely.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    My (last year's) apple watch updated to the latest version of watchos, and the differences there are surprisingly large, or maybe I just hadn't found a bunch of bits of UI before. The 'stuff that shows up when you swipe up from the main screen' seems to be new, I feel like they swapped that with the screen that shows up when you press the not-wheel-button, or something.

Even the apps have changed; I use overcast for podcasts, and the UI there has shuffled around so the 'time remaining' is at the top right rather than top left, and it seems to have gained the ability to select other episodes, which either wasn't there before or I didn't find it.

I do appreciate the new version of the activity rings app, the UI for 'how many hours have you stood up today' is a lot clearer than it was before.

And the new version of ios seems to be much the same for what I use it for, though it's fun going to 'health' and seeing what new aspect of me it reckons it can measure. This time there's "time in daylight", which as far as I can tell only works if I'm wearing short sleeves because it reads the info from the watch somehow. That said, thinking about how much time I spent outdoors today, it's not all that far off, so there seems to be _something_ to it, at least.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

Yeah, when I got a monitor with G-Sync it seriously felt like my video card got a stealth upgrade as well. So much smoother.

• Options
    I do appreciate the new version of the activity rings app, the UI for 'how many hours have you stood up today' is a lot clearer than it was before.

One thing I'd be happy if they improve is the "have I stood up this hour?" information.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2023
    I have been on the new watch OS for a couple months now, and I still don't like the dedicated button for control center as opposed to swiping up from the bottom.

Especially on the ultra, my complications give me all the data and access to apps I need - the app card view is kind of useless to me. I have, at this point, nearly a decade of muscle memory baked into swiping up to go into airplane mode and I make that mistake every. single. time. I need to do it.

edit: also annoyed that I cannot swipe between faces without a long press. That was a thing I did!

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    re: the watch face thing, I'm actually excited for that change because about once every 3 weeks my mother has managed to change the watch face on her watch without knowing how/why and this will reduce the number of calls I get from her.

• Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    My 14 is the last lightning device in our house. All our iPads are USB-C, and most of our phones are Pixels, so they are already on USB-C. I certainly will not mourn the death of the lightning port.

• Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

One thing I'd be happy if they improve is the "have I stood up this hour?" information.

The bars are a lot taller in the new UI, which helps - but I do wish they'd make the way it decides "if I'm standing up" more accurate, because last hour I got up, walked upstairs, cleaned coffee cup,dpoured in new coffee, added milk and sugar, and walked back downstairs, and was absolutely standing up and moving around for a few minutes but not in the way that it wanted me to, so it still showed me as "not having stood up".

• Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    My wife got an iPhone 13 last year, upgrading from her iPhone 6S. She quite likes it; however, she almost always asks to use my Samsung S10's camera instead of using her iPhone 13's camera, insisting that the S10 produces much better photos. I know basically nothing about Apple devices but is there some setting that needs to be enabled to improve picture quality. Apparently, the default iPhone camera app she uses is lacking all sorts of things like a 0.5 zoom for a wider field of view and zoom options above 2x.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I will remain a lightning home for at least one more year, as I have no real reason to upgrade my airpods pro v2 or my 14 pro max.

But knowing I own the last devices I am likely to own on that standard... it is the end of an era. Apple supported that connector for a decade.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    My wife got an iPhone 13 last year, upgrading from her iPhone 6S. She quite likes it; however, she almost always asks to use my Samsung S10's camera instead of using her iPhone 13's camera, insisting that the S10 produces much better photos. I know basically nothing about Apple devices but is there some setting that needs to be enabled to improve picture quality. Apparently, the default iPhone camera app she uses is lacking all sorts of things like a 0.5 zoom for a wider field of view and zoom options above 2x.

I know that Samsung definitely goes more vibrant and saturated on the processing of photos. if it's the final product she likes, that's probably what it's about..if it's the tools, then I don't know. I thought the iPhone camera.mostly had the same choices

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2023

There are tons of settings you can set when taking a picture, and once a picture is taken, a ton of editing options. It might be that she likes Samsung's default processing better, but I'd be shocked if the iPhone doesn't have similar processing available. I'm not a huge picture guy, but I know the iPhone's cameras have generally been considered very good.
    syndalis wrote: »
    I have been on the new watch OS for a couple months now, and I still don't like the dedicated button for control center as opposed to swiping up from the bottom.

Especially on the ultra, my complications give me all the data and access to apps I need - the app card view is kind of useless to me. I have, at this point, nearly a decade of muscle memory baked into swiping up to go into airplane mode and I make that mistake every. single. time. I need to do it.

edit: also annoyed that I cannot swipe between faces without a long press. That was a thing I did!

I'm with you on the control center, but I love the face swipe change. I used to always accidentally change my face. I always use the same face, I never really change it, so it was just annoying to me.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options

Few things there. As said above Samsung and Apple do different processing to their photos. By default, samsung photos are definitely more saturated, to the point of being unrealistic sometimes. Basically both companies apply different default edits to the photos that the lens captures. Apple's photos are more "natural" looking by default in that colors will be more muted, but much closer to true to life.

I'll say straight up that the actual camera hardware on an iPhone 13 is miles better than the actual camera hardware that is on the Galaxy S10. So as said, she just prefers the overall look of Samsung's photo processing, not which phone has the objectively better camera.

As for the rest of that, the iPhone 13 has an ultrawide camera. in the camera app on an iPhone 13, which thankfully because I'm at work I have one in front of me, it shows 1x by default. tapping that goes to 0.5x, which is the other lens that is ultrawide. To zoom, it is pinch to zoom on the viewfinder. the iPhone 13 will go up to 5x. Word of warning though is that the zoom is all digital zoom, and doesn't look great past about 2x anyway.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    FWIW avoid the current production of the Speigen GlasTR EZ FIT screen protectors. I had two come from the factory with dust under the protector. They also leave huge gaps between the edge of the protector and edge of the screen. Looking at Amazon reviews I'm not the only one with dust issues. I bought another set but am going to return them and attempt to return the two I used as defective items.

I bought the TORRAS Diamond Shield instead and they're much nicer. No dust, better screen coverage, and an actually nicer/easier application process.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    15 Pro came into today, and the slightly rounded edges is really the peak of this design. You maintain the better grip of the 4’s squared-off design, but with softer edges for better comfort. The weight is noticeable.

I only had like two lightning cables left since I primarily use Magsafe everywhere, and I have plenty of usb-c cables for the iPad and just about everything else. So not a difficult transition.

Only complaint so far is the stupid info bar, despite gaining more real estate with each iteration trimming down the notch/island, still not displaying the damn headphone connection indicator without going into the control panel. Like once in a blue moon your airpods won’t automatically connect and you can’t just check the bar to be sure.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I should not of updated to iOS17. I'm on a 14 Pro Max and there is significant lag on the update. I thought maybe it was the Low Power mode at first or that I haven't cycled the phone in a bit.

Tried a few things, but still the same, swapping between apps or even in app usage there is lag, longer loading times, some stuttering.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I'm on a vanilla 14 and haven't noticed any differences.

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    I should not of updated to iOS17. I'm on a 14 Pro Max and there is significant lag on the update. I thought maybe it was the Low Power mode at first or that I haven't cycled the phone in a bit.

Tried a few things, but still the same, swapping between apps or even in app usage there is lag, longer loading times, some stuttering.

This will self correct. Major OS updates end up with a ton of reindexing and background processes that can take days depending on how much stuff you have on the phone.

14 Pro Max can run this OS like a champ, honestly no noticeable difference between it and a 15, because they use the same processor.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    More anecdata; my 12 runs 17 just fine.
    Maybe restart it a time or two?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    ah okay, hopefully it sorts itself out then, I had power cycled it a number of times but remained the same.

• Options
    Dixon wrote: »
    ah okay, hopefully it sorts itself out then, I had power cycled it a number of times but remained the same.

Rebooting won't help. It has work to do if you did an upgrade and if you have a lot of messages / files / emails / photos / etc. the upgrade can take literal days.

Goes faster on wall power and not in low power mode, so leaving it plugged in when you can might help get you over the hump.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Small thing I noticed the other day with the latest CarPlay update: When I get in the car now, it automatically highlights the route to Home from wherever I am. It doesn't set it as your route, just highlights it on the map. It's a little thing but a feature I really like.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Small thing I noticed the other day with the latest CarPlay update: When I get in the car now, it automatically highlights the route to Home from wherever I am. It doesn't set it as your route, just highlights it on the map. It's a little thing but a feature I really like.

Mine's been doing that for a while. It suggests the route to my employer's office if I get in the car M-F in the morning, and it suggests home the vast majority of the rest of the time (it suggests the local farmer's market that me and my kiddo hit nearly every Saturday morning in the summer too). Some days I like it, some days I find it really annoying, but I couldn't explain why it's annoying if you asked. :P

I like the little overhaul that they gave Siri's UI for responding to/reviewing messages in the latest update.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Waiting three years between upgrades felt a lot better than waiting two years - improved speed/responsiveness is very noticeable, and not at all the disappointment I felt going from the XR to the 12 Pro. Probably helps that I’m taking a thousand pictures of my kid on a daily basis now, so photo improvements are actually meaningful.

On features, I like being able to use the phone streaming music to my car as a kind of jukebox that others can control the music from.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    GnomeTank wrote: »

Mine's been doing that for a while. It suggests the route to my employer's office if I get in the car M-F in the morning, and it suggests home the vast majority of the rest of the time (it suggests the local farmer's market that me and my kiddo hit nearly every Saturday morning in the summer too). Some days I like it, some days I find it really annoying, but I couldn't explain why it's annoying if you asked. :P

I like the little overhaul that they gave Siri's UI for responding to/reviewing messages in the latest update.

I wonder if it starts doing it after it trains itself or something? Because it only started doing it for me recently, and so I thought it corresponded with the iOS 17 update. I've only had a car again since last July, so maybe it just took time to train itself on my driving habits.

e: I also like that UI update.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Mine has definitely done it at least for the last year or two. Mine did get stuck at one point trying to direct me to this random McDonalds every time I left the house, and I later realized that it was because the McDonalds shared a parking lot with the gas station I always stop at and it thought I was just loading up on Big Macs all the time.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    AppleNews is going up $3/month to 12.99

It’s not really even worth the $9.99 i’m paying now so I cancelled it and Apple TV

So that’s $16 per month in my pocket I didn’t have before

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    When they release the new iPads, I'm thinking of getting a new one (and giving my 2019 iPad Air to my wife). What I'm thinking about is whether to go for an iPad Air 12.9, since that one is supposed to get the previous generation iPad Pro's screen tech. What is the experience here of people who've gone from a 10+ inch iPad to a 12+ inch one? Is the increase in size worth it, or are the bigger ones too big for a lot of users? I know there's not a right answer to this, but I'm curious to hear what people who've made the jump think.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    When they release the new iPads, I'm thinking of getting a new one (and giving my 2019 iPad Air to my wife). What I'm thinking about is whether to go for an iPad Air 12.9, since that one is supposed to get the previous generation iPad Pro's screen tech. What is the experience here of people who've gone from a 10+ inch iPad to a 12+ inch one? Is the increase in size worth it, or are the bigger ones too big for a lot of users? I know there's not a right answer to this, but I'm curious to hear what people who've made the jump think.

It all depends (I know that's not a particularly helpful answer).

I prefer the 12.9" size, but I use mine more as a sitting back on the couch kind of device. Maybe prop it up on the arm of the couch and watch some youtube, but mostly just briefly checking my email or whatever. Outside of that, it's my drawing tablet, so the 12.9" size is ideal there. And I actually usually slot it into a much larger drawing board to make it even larger and give me some room to rest my arms. But then it's always propped up on my desk, or at least on my knees or something.

If you're more looking for something to hold one handed and use constantly as a laptop replacement or a "bigger phone" sort of deal, I think the 12.9" size is probably a little too unwieldy for that and the ~10" models are a lot more comfortable for actually holding and using actively for most people.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Travelling with it might be a consideration. 12.9" is, unsurprisingly, pretty much the size of a 13" laptop. I also have the Magic Keyboard, so those combined actually makes it a little bit heavier than a 13" MacBook Pro. It's something I need to pick the proper bag/backpack for if I want to bring it with me somewhere.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I think I’d get both a Magic Keyboard and a slim magnetic cover, so I don’t always have to lug around the former. But it’s likely the 12.9” iPad would be 1 1/2 times the weight of my 2019 Air.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    If you're still running a 2019 Intel Air, you might consider replacing that with an M3 (or even M1) Air instead of getting a new iPad. Unless you just really need a touch screen and/or pencil support, an MBA is a better experience than an iPad with a keyboard, and an Apple Silicon MBA will run a lot of iPad and iPhone apps.