As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    I'm planning to upgrade my phone when the 15 Pro Max comes out. I'm still on an 8 and it's struggling.

Lotta rumours about the 15 Pro, I just hope the most recent ones aren't true and half the good features aren't getting delayed til the 16

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    There will always be something new next year. From an 8, just go for the 15; even the 14 would be insane comparatively.

• Options
    dporowski wrote: »
    There will always be something new next year. From an 8, just go for the 15; even the 14 would be insane comparatively.
    That big of a jump huh? :)

It was largely the stacked battery rumour I was worried about. Battery life always a plus

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I have a 13 right now and I'm tempted by the always-on display. 😶

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    dporowski wrote: »
    That big of a jump huh? :)

It was largely the stacked battery rumour I was worried about. Battery life always a plus

Honestly, yes. I've got a 13 at the moment, and the battery life has been fine. If you have any wireless/magsafe chargers, it's even better. In performance alone, you won't believe the difference.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm planning on upgrading from a 12 mini to a 15 Pro. As much as I've liked the small size of the mini I've also found a lot of things I don't like. The small screen size has really compromised media consumption, and as someone who is terrible at typing on phones the even smaller typing area is really rough. The battery life is pretty mediocre. In normal use it's alright but once you start watching videos, using GPS, making phone calls, or anything more intensive than just browsing the web or social media the battery just does not last.

My coworker recently went from a 12 Pro to a 14 Pro (almost for free because he switched from Verizon to T-Mobile senior plan), and he said there was an immediately noticeable increase in performance. Going from a normal 12 to a 15 Pro or anything older than a 12 should be a massive upgrade.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Jumping from an XR to my current 12 Pro is what has me holding off for something more significant. The performance increase was real, and I’ve had semi-regular uses for LIDAR and the improved camera, but it was the first time I felt underwhelmed by the upgrade. At this point I’m probably running with my current phone until it breaks or there’s an interesting form factor shift.

I want a new, interesting new tech to get excited about, but phone development feels like it’s been stagnant or limited to fine tuning for a good while now. Foldables are neat, but even there, what exists isn’t as wild as I hope things get.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I went from 11 Pro to 14 Pro Max and it felt like a massive jump. The 120hz screen with always on is nice.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Battery upgrade, speed upgrade and screen size upgrade all have me pretty keen. My 8 battery is dying but also so is the mic and the mute button

So who's good in the case space these days, given I've had mine for like 6 years? Mous has caught my attention.

Catalase on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Anyone got a 12 Pro Max case recommendation? Mine is beyond repair at this point. I've had it for 2 years and all of the soft rubber is gone now.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    Mous and Spigen make nice-looking stuff.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Echo wrote: »
    Mous and Spigen make nice-looking stuff.
    I used Spigen cases for my iPhone 6 and 8. Been researching before the 15s come out and I don't much like their most recent stuff. Mous looks quite slick though.

Only annoying thing is to get Mous here requires international ordering which means it takes god knows how long to get here

Catalase on
  • Options
    It's time for the usual Fall iPhone event. I already know I'm getting a 15 Pro but I'm more interested in watching to see how many things the rumor and speculation stories from the past few months have gotten wrong.

Here's the livestream

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiP1l7jlIIA

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Apple Vision Pro is pretty neat, but yeah can anyone afford it?

• Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Yeah, my 11 Pro Max is still hanging in there, but the lightning port stopped working earlier this year, so I can only wirelessly charge, and can't use my nice wired in ear monitors for listening to music any more. I'm also constantly struggling with storage, so it'll be nice to get way more than 64 gigs...

Also, that Mother Nature short was silly...

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I'm torn on how much time they're spending on the enviornmental stuff. Like, that's good, if a little self-congratulatory. But it really screams like "we have 90 minutes to fill and only two products to announce"

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Yeah, it was a bit much and overly long. I personally could not care less about how carbon neutral my devices are. I guess it's nice as a long term initiative but it's below dead last as something that is a selling feature for me.

Cormac on
  • Options
    Cormac wrote: »
    Yeah, it was a bit much and overly long. I personally could not care less about how carbon neutral my devices are. I guess it's nice as a long term initiative but it's below dead last as something that is a selling feature for me.

No, it is a big deal, especially at Apple's scale. Apple is leading the way here and it needs to be highlighted, and honestly, celebrated. We need companies championing this to make others do the same thing.

It just didn't need 30 minutes.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I'm hoping that I can trade my XR for a 15, but they will probably cut that full credit off at the 11. So what I might do is get the 14 with the full trade in and then go it next year for the 16.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »

No, it is a big deal, especially at Apple's scale. Apple is leading the way here and it needs to be highlighted, and honestly, celebrated. We need companies championing this to make others do the same thing.

It just didn't need 30 minutes.

That's exactly how I feel. But like you said it just felt too long for what's a presentation of new devices.

I definitely could have phrased that better. I didn't mean to be quite so dismissive. It's a great thing Apple is doing and it's something more if not all companies should strive for. However, it's not something that's going to have any influence on my purchasing decisions in this case.

That said, those new sport bands with the flecks of colors mixed in do look great. I prefer leather or metal watch bands over rubber in almost all cases, but sometimes a nice splash of color is nice.

Cormac on
  • Options
    jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Wow, okay, being able to record video directly to an external drive is pretty huge. That's already a common workflow with certain "real" cameras. That's a big deal for content creators.

• Options
    I'm torn on how much time they're spending on the enviornmental stuff. Like, that's good, if a little self-congratulatory. But it really screams like "we have 90 minutes to fill and only two products to announce"

Weird of them to have a pee break that early in the show.

I got the Series 8 watch last year, but I'm already considering the Ultra 2. Hoping the Series 8 actually has a decent trade-in value, I went from the Series 5 to the 8 and it was a whopping $70, so I decided to just keep it as a backup.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular

If it can provide a quality movie-watching experience on top of being a computer, then $4000+ isn't that insane. People spend half that or more for 75"+ TVs.

• Options
    KPC wrote: »

If it can provide a quality movie-watching experience on top of being a computer, then $4000+ isn't that insane. People spend half that or more for 75"+ TVs.

But like, more than one person at a time can look at a 75" TV.

• Options
    Weird value consideration for me - I don’t really have any desire for a new phone, but my current 12 Pro’s battery is garbage. Battery replacement would cost me ~$90, while an upgrade would cost me nothing but agreeing to a contract I’m likely to keep regardless.

Main factor I suppose is how much I expect next year’s upgrade to be something more exciting than just a standard spec bump. Right now the always on display is probably the most appealing aspect of getting a new device. If next year has something more interesting, that’s a missed opportunity, but that’s the only con I can see.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    I have a 13 Pro Max and this is definitely an incremental upgrade, but I checked what I can get for a trade-in from third-party sites, and I can get close to $800 for it? That changes the calculation.

edit: just for a reference, the 15 Pro Max with base storage is ~1600 USD in SEK.

Echo on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    The spec slide for the iPhone 15 mentioned 4K/60Hz video out. I’d love literally any details about docking this thing. Is that just for video playback or using external displays as a camera viewfinder, and it’ll be stuck mirroring the phone’s native resolution for everything else?

I really want Apple’s take on Dex. Have it throw up Stage Manager if it’s plugged into a display while an external keyboard and mouse are connected. But it seems like they would have made a big deal about it if that was a thing.

• Options
    Frem wrote: »
    The spec slide for the iPhone 15 mentioned 4K/60Hz video out. I’d love literally any details about docking this thing. Is that just for video playback or using external displays as a camera viewfinder, and it’ll be stuck mirroring the phone’s native resolution for everything else?

I really want Apple’s take on Dex. Have it throw up Stage Manager if it’s plugged into a display while an external keyboard and mouse are connected. But it seems like they would have made a big deal about it if that was a thing.

yeah I don't think it'll be much more than what has existed in the iphone for years: screen mirroring.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I really want to make the switch to iPhone. I think the only thing holding me back is not being able to use extensions on browsers right now. Like, browsing without uBlock is a crazy thought.

But I've been using an iPad for the past few months and I really think I might do it anyway. Maybe.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I really want to make the switch to iPhone. I think the only thing holding me back is not being able to use extensions on browsers right now. Like, browsing without uBlock is a crazy thought.

But I've been using an iPad for the past few months and I really think I might do it anyway. Maybe.

You can use some extensions with Safari and a bunch with the iOS version of Firefox (I think). I use NextDNS which works as a firewall to block the all incoming ads, pop ups, and the usual annoyances. It does a great job and I never needed to upgrade to a paid plan in the event I hit the free version limit. I do have AdGuard installed but not enabled. I also have an extension called Noir to make all webpages dark mode. I only use Safari on my iPhone and iPad because of Private Relay and pull to refresh.
    I have a 13 Pro Max and this is definitely an incremental upgrade, but I checked what I can get for a trade-in from third-party sites, and I can get close to $800 for it? That changes the calculation.

edit: just for a reference, the 15 Pro Max with base storage is ~1600 USD in SEK.

The $800 is likely for the top spec 14 Pro Max and possibly only through service providers (probably also putting you into a 2-3 year contract for that trade in value) and not through Apple. The most Apple offers is $650 for a 14 Pro Max. They'll give you up to $580 for a 13 Pro Max. I don't know how carriers handle phone contracts where you live but US carriers like getting you into 2-3 year contracts for phones. Sometimes you can upgrade within that time frame but sometimes that'll just reset the 2-3 year thing.

Cormac on
  • Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular
    KPC wrote: »

But like, more than one person at a time can look at a 75" TV.

For me, it's not a factor. Plus there are excellent enough TVs in the 55" range that's <$750, should I need something that multiple people can look at.

A quality movie-watching experience is generally solo, anyway.

• Options
    I did find it a bit weird that they touted that finger tap gesture as loudly as they did... considering that's already an accessibility feature you can turn on. But I guess with the new chip it's more reliable and promoted to a first-class citizen feature for something.

• Options
    I did find it a bit weird that they touted that finger tap gesture as loudly as they did... considering that's already an accessibility feature you can turn on. But I guess with the new chip it's more reliable and promoted to a first-class citizen feature for something.

The (probably correct) speculation is because that's going to be one of the primary gestures for the vision pro, so this is Apple's first way to get that into the wild for real life people to test. Through that lens, it makes sense that they pushed it as hard as they did because they actively want people to use it to gather the usage data.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Frem wrote: »

iPad has what you are asking for - I can connect my iPad to my docking station, same as my macbook pro, and get a 3440x1440 display with keyboard + mouse, using stage manager for window management.

It's ALMOST a proper desktop OS now. Almost.

I think they are gating all that stuff behind the M-series chips though, so I wouldn't expect to see them move into that featureset on the iPhone any time soon.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Yikes, so apparently the Finewoven cases/accessories are.... not very good.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/20/23882255/apple-iphone-15-finewoven-case-wallet-bad

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I mean, Apple’s cases are always bad, is the thing.

I’m mostly just disappointed they didn’t use a cool non-leather material like the cactus leather that Orbitkey uses on their vegan line. That stuff feels great, and holds up way better than fabric or PU “leather”.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I thought about a Finewoven case until Apple wanted $60 for them. Nope!

So I went and bought a Benks kevlar, a Carved.com (it's gorgeous), and Decoded clear case instead. I usually get a leather case from Blackbrook, Decoded, Andar, or Keyway, but it's time to try something(s) different.

Cormac on
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Went ahead and decided to move forward with upgrading from the 12 Pro to the 15 Pro. Battery on this one has reached ‘terrible’ status, and with my first kid I find I’m taking more pictures than I’ve ever taken in my life, so those camera upgrades actually mean something now (same justification for upping my storage for the first time).

One amusing effect I didn’t consider is that, since I’ll be on USB-C and my wife will still be using lightning, we’ll finally be able to assign blame to who is constantly destroying charging cables around the house.

Ordered late, but looks to be here Monday.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I got my 15 Pro in the mail this morning albeit with the trade in kit missing for some reason. I'll have to call them about that and have another one sent out.

It's definitely noticeable faster than my 12 mini. Not surprising I guess but I wasn't expecting such a noticeable difference. I'd also forgotten how nice an ambient display is after years of Android phones before switching to the 12 mini a couple of years ago. I need to do a side by side comparison to see if I can tell a difference between the 60hz and 120hz screen, but everything does seem a bit sharper and smoother at first glance. I restored from a backup on my M1 Mac Mini which took all of a half hour including the update to 17.0.2. I had to re-sign into my Google accounts and banking accounts, but everything else transferred over without any issues or need to re-sign in.

Other than the missing trade in kit I did have to other issues. Repairing my Apple Watch was a real pain. I ended up having to do a remote erase through iCloud to clear the activation and then re-pair it like a new device. That itself was easy enough but I wasted a good half hour trying other methods before going the full wipe method. Once it re-paired it restored from backup. The other issue was bad luck with dust on the screen when applying Spigen screen protectors. There was just enough dust in the air in my office that I'm going to have to buy another set and try again. This time in the bathroom after a shower so it's nice and dust free. I can barely see the one piece of dust that's there now, but knowing it's there is enough for me to spend the $15 and buy another pair.

The natural titanium color is really nice. Not gold at all like the initial pictures and videos showed. It's very much the natural/normal titanium grey.

Edit: The trade in kit shipped separately and arrived a few days after the phone

Cormac on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    in my android experience you don't notice that much going from 60hz to 90 or 120. the real stark moment is if you try to go back to 60 after using 120 for a while.