As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rebellion in a Dwarf Fortress: A [Mini][Phalla] - Commoners(Village) Win!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    stever

schuss thinks I'm entertaining <3<3

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Hmm, what to make tonight.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    schuss thinks I'm entertaining <3<3

He obviously meant me.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    You are all unique and beautiful plump helmets.

That came out wrong. You're all unique and wonderful bloated tubers.

Errrr.

Delmain

More ale!

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Okay, kime stever and TRV pm me your roles and I'll make the call on who should live.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Okay, kime stever and TRV pm me your roles and I'll make the call on who should live.

Brilliant.

:)

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    This is a votepost depicting the voting of INANTP for schuss. INANTP is smiling. All craftsdwarfship is of the finest quality.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    So this may sound crazy, but it sounds like there are a huge number of apprentices. Should we be publicly getting a hierarchy going to make sure every special is covered? I haven't thought this all the way through, but if we can just ensure that every special has exactly one apprentice, then mafia kills mean nothing (at least, their target becomes irrelevant).

Even as I say it though, I realize that if the mafia claim to be one of the apprentices that pretty much shuts down that system. But I think we should be thinking along these lines to try to come up with some way to keep the special roles around as long as possible with minimal possibility of interference.

Phyphor, I'm looking at you.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    My role? I'm a MILLER. Like the one who makes flour. Not the one who dies the wrong color.

I can apprentice under people, since flour isn't exactly a combat art.

In case you couldn't tell by the color, that'd make me a villager. I'd rather not die early again, but if I do kick the bucket I guess the village isn't losing a huge asset

(Plz don't murder me :( )

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Well we could have people apprentice under the person above them in the sign up list. Number one on the list would have to apprentice under number 30 and whoever is under the vote winner (assuming we have a good idea of who it will be before vote close) will have to pick someone else. I admit it's not the best set up, since you'll have few people who are free once the network forms. You could have a special (or noble) under a special, increasing the likelihood that a vig/vote/mafia kill deprives us of a special for the rest of the game. The upside is that it keeps who is a special from being public knowledge and probably does a better job of covering our bases than people picking at random.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Well we could have people apprentice under the person above them in the sign up list. Number one on the list would have to apprentice under number 30 and whoever is under the vote winner (assuming we have a good idea of who it will be before vote close) will have to pick someone else. I admit it's not the best set up, since you'll have few people who are free once the network forms. You could have a special (or noble) under a special, increasing the likelihood that a vig/vote/mafia kill deprives us of a special for the rest of the game. The upside is that it keeps who is a special from being public knowledge and probably does a better job of covering our bases than people picking at random.

Och, tellin' a dwarf how to play 'is game will ne'er work!

• Options
    I'd like to point out that today it is too late to get this plan in action for every player.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    But my point is that there's no reason to keep who is special a secret, since the mafia can't eliminate abilities. The only reason to keep it a secret is if they can mess up the system to ensure that no apprentice takes over.

• Options
    I'd like to point out that today it is too late to get this plan in action for every player.

Yes, and apprentices don't need to sign up for someone today.

• Options
    Hey what happens if you apprentice under a mafia? Can you learn their skills? I know you can't become mafia because you said so earlier.

• Options
    I just like to make that something that's absolutely clear so it can't come up as any sort of ammunition later. :D

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I just like to make that something that's absolutely clear so it can't come up as any sort of ammunition later. :D

I sense a plan hatching and I don't like it :P

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    Hey what happens if you apprentice under a mafia? Can you learn their skills? I know you can't become mafia because you said so earlier.

Unfortunately, this clarification must be denied.

• Options
    MrTLicious wrote: »

I sense a plan hatching and I don't like it :P

That's a dragon.
    A dragon is hatching.
    We should get out of here.

• Options
    premium wrote: »

Unfortunately, this clarification must be denied.

I sense possible shenanigans!

• Options
    and whoever is under the vote winner (assuming we have a good idea of who it will be before vote close) will have to pick someone else.

Also looking around do you mean that "if we enact this plan tomorrow someone else will have to pick someone else because they'll be dead today"? Because looking around I couldn't see any rules to the effect of "you won't get apprentice bonuses from someone who dies to the vote" which is what I initially read this as and I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE OKAY

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Hey, @phyphor, did you just add the vote history thing to the magic box? I like it!

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Guys, don't just pick someone randomly. At the very least wait for a network to form and be informed of a decision.

YOU CANNOT PICK SOMEONE ELSE IF YOUR FIRST TARGET DIES.

Edit: This is for apprentices.

MrTLicious on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Guys, don't just pick someone randomly. At the very least wait for a network to form and be informed of a decision.

Yes you can.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    If, upon death, the player you are apprenticing under has no powers you can learn, you will be able to apprentice under a different dwarf.

Megafrost on
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Hey, @phyphor, did you just add the vote history thing to the magic box? I like it!

The first part has been there for a while, I added the second part last game

• Options
    kime wrote: »

Yes you can.

He's just continuing the fine tradition of not reading the OP!

• Options
    Us common folk are taught to hate readin. That's the work of a nobleman, they says. Tryin' to rise above yer station in life is the quick way to the grave, they say.

Who th'ell's they?!

• Options
    You'd know if you could read their nametags!

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    From the Journals of Mal "Matev" Swearengen

So there I was in the capital working my bar when some slick-bearded son of a goose sidles up and asks for a pint, tells me he's a friend of a friend. A friend who conveniently had turn on me over a nice game of "Drinks and Hammers". The guard was on it's way to collect me next. Being the smart business-dwarf I am, I thanked the goose-sucker and made the executive decision to expand out of the capital. (Geese can barely see outside their own walls, unless it's precious metals, which was likely the source of my troubles here, but that's a whole 'nother story...)

I hooked up with the first caravan out of town, ask where they're headed once we're out of town. Say some place in the Jagged Phalla peaks, they say, place called Bandwagon. I know dwarves get shit for weird names, but this got my gut churning. It took us a month, 5 dead caravan guards, and more carp than I care to admit, but we finally approached the city. The first thing I noticed was there was no Armok-damned road here. I don't know what kind of hoople-headed elf lovers were running the place, but I knew I was gonna giving them more than a few pieces of my mind. As we finally escaped the fucking roofless sky (What kind of savages would enjoy living out there!?) and plunged into the earth of Bandwagon, I knew that I'd stepped into a real situation.

People were slaughtering horses, who seemed to be inclined to pay back the favor. I asked the first dwarf I could see who was in charge. He spouted some bullshit about being an Anarcho syndicalist. After a I beat him around the ears for being a silly goose, he jerked a thumb to the main square, where two rotting dwarf corpses were stinking up the place. One of them looked the militia leader of the place, but the other looked like the Armok-damned Hammerer of all people. I could fucking dance for joy!

I begged to know where the nobles were. (Secretly hoping they'd met the same fate as the Hammerer) Everyone looked around sheepishly, claiming they were hiding somewhere. Nobles? In hiding!? I laughed. Oh, these poor geese, they were like cats without shepherd.

"Listen up! There's work to be done!" I yelled, avoided a complex set of levers mounted to the main statue in the square, "Brewers, churn out the good shit, and don't spare a single fucking Plump Helmet! Miners, strike the earth like it was a Armok-damned goblin and bring us in that shiny! We've got a chance to become the mightiest dwarven fortress the world has seen!" I knew I was making a big play here, but I also knew I was most fit to guide thesr poor sad-sacks and make this town into an economic hub, "No more toy forges! No more menacing with spikes of bread! We're going to make what WE need and then what WE want!" I yelled as the crowd lapped it up. All except a few of 'em. They stuck out like fucking sore thumbs. All smooth hands that they tried to hide and beards that looked like they got combed out everyday.

"YOU!" I called out to the closest one, "What's your name!?" I could tell the crowd was whipped up.

"U-urist." They said sheepishly. I grinned like an elephant about to run down a marksdwarf.

"Bullshit! You sound like a Armok-damned noble! What's your real name, you silly goose?" I growled, hoisting them up with me onto the statue. The crowd jeered, I felt like a fucking king.

"stever..." they finally admitted with a sigh.

"Y'hear that!? Sounds like a noble name to me!" I pushed them into the mob. The hoople heads starting eating him up too, like the rest. I hopped down off the statue, whistling a bit as I went to look for a good bar to take over in this place....

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    and whoever is under the vote winner (assuming we have a good idea of who it will be before vote close) will have to pick someone else.

Also looking around do you mean that "if we enact this plan tomorrow someone else will have to pick someone else because they'll be dead today"? Because looking around I couldn't see any rules to the effect of "you won't get apprentice bonuses from someone who dies to the vote" which is what I initially read this as and I JUST WANT TO MAKE SURE OKAY

That is just me screwing up. Sorry, to use to having to switch over orders when someone dies. ><

I also blame geese in D&D for derailing one of the threads on to a stupid tangent after the OP said it was BS, others said it was BS and trying to move the thread back on track.

• Options
    Ugh, I read the "once per game" part and didn't remember the last bit.

I am sorry.

• Options
    But still, you shouldn't pick people willy nilly, as it binds you to them until they die, preventing you from guarding special abilities.

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Yes, picking willy nilly is bad.

No one picking anyone day one is also bad.

There must be a happy medium.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    The issue I see with making village specials none to the mafia.
    A) We don't have a network head to tell people to switch to the new special, so that special has to reveal. (huge problem if death reveals one's role).
    B) We don't know what the mafia has in the way of powers. Publicly revealing specials makes it easier for them if they have a role block.
    C) It narrows down things for trying to render the seer useless. Great we get a new seer, but if they get lucky and hit the seer we're not going to get any results for that night.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    This is a votepost depicting the voting of INANTP for schuss. INANTP is smiling. All craftsdwarfship is of the finest quality.

You're just jealous of my mad crafting skizzles

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    I'll get behind Stever777

:winky:

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    The issue I see with making village specials none to the mafia.
    A) We don't have a network head to tell people to switch to the new special, so that special has to reveal. (huge problem if death reveals one's role).
    B) We don't know what the mafia has in the way of powers. Publicly revealing specials makes it easier for them if they have a role block.
    C) It narrows down things for trying to render the seer useless. Great we get a new seer, but if they get lucky and hit the seer we're not going to get any results for that night.

C is a very good point I hadn't even thought about.

Edit: the others are good too I just had already thought of them :P

MrTLicious on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    Delmain

Didn't stever get say one'd last game

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    Delmain

Didn't stever get say one'd last game

Yes, but

he outed the mafia guard when we had it in the bag if we could avoid 1 vote.