As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[XCOM] This thread is old and weak and soon will spawn a zombie. Use the newer thread.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Pathing needs SO much work.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    There needs to be an option to let me lay out the walk path by myself if I want to. No, idiot - I DO NOT want you to run through the poison cloud.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    So if I know where the spawns are in a map, can I just shoot a rocket/throw a grenade there and kill the guys in the fog of war? I pretty much memorized all the spawns in the construction yard, but I haven't tried this yet.

Also fuck that map thats on the roof of the building under construction, its literally an uphill battle with no high cover that doesn't activate tons of enemies
    Turns out, yes you can. A well place rocket can end the mission much faster

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Oh man. I was trying to hunt down the last two remaining Thin Men during a bomb mission. My squad is still full but had taken some damage so I'm inching around the map slowly. For some reason I have my crappy sniper leading taking the first movement. I choose to move about 3 spots around a corner, when she decides that the best way to round a simple corner is to CLIMB THE FUCKING BUILDING, GO UP A RAMP, AND JUMP BACK DOWN TO STREET LEVEL.
    Not that it has anything to do with pathing, but you should never have a sniper move first anyway. Or a heavy with rockets available, for that matter. Soldiers with full-round actions with a range greater than vision should always move last if you can help it. You get more flexibility out of your available tactical options that way.

Unless the sniper is a squaddie, in which case Extreme Forward Scout is an excellent role for them. Squaddie snipers without squad sight are probably the single most expendable thing in the game. They're even worse than rookies.

Wyvern on
    Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Poison clouds are badass.

Was disarming a bomb in a cemetery in the city where I live (I actually live near a cemetery too!) and ended up fighting 3 groups of Thin Men. During the fight I activated another 2 groups, almost all of them died in the central structure of the graveyard. The result was 8+ poison clouds layered on the same spot.

...which caused the game to become unrespesponsive before dumping me back to Windows. So mind those poison clouds :P

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    The worst is when they take an extra step around some cover in the middle of their walk and that ONE step out of line activates another group of aliens.

I also just discovered the joy of plasma weaponry. I had enough to outfit my whole A-Squad as soon as the research was done and the change from ballistic weapons was magnificent. Is it safe to assume I can build a a plasma sniper rifle and plasma LMG eventually? Right now I just have the light plasma rifles.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Wyvern wrote: »
    Oh man. I was trying to hunt down the last two remaining Thin Men during a bomb mission. My squad is still full but had taken some damage so I'm inching around the map slowly. For some reason I have my crappy sniper leading taking the first movement. I choose to move about 3 spots around a corner, when she decides that the best way to round a simple corner is to CLIMB THE FUCKING BUILDING, GO UP A RAMP, AND JUMP BACK DOWN TO STREET LEVEL.
    Not that it has anything to do with pathing, but you should never have a sniper move first anyway. Or a heavy with rockets available, for that matter. Soldiers with full-round actions with a range greater than vision should always move last if you can help it. You get more flexibility out of your available tactical options that way.

Unless the sniper is a squaddie, in which case Extreme Forward Scout is an excellent role for them. Squaddie snipers without squad sight are probably the single most expendable thing in the game. They're even worse than rookies.

Yeah, that's exactly what she was. My two Assaults and my Support Medic that I usually use as my front-most scouts had all taken some damage already, so I figured the useless Squaddie Sniper was more expendable in case shit went south.

• Options
    I also just discovered the joy of plasma weaponry. I had enough to outfit my whole A-Squad as soon as the research was done and the change from ballistic weapons was magnificent. Is it safe to assume I can build a a plasma sniper rifle and plasma LMG eventually? Right now I just have the light plasma rifles.
    Yes, you can, in addition to plasma pistols and regular plasma rifles (+2 damage over the light ones instead of the aim bonus). There's also a shotgun at that tech level, but it isn't technically plasma-related.

• Options
    I think the regular plain old shiv should be available earlier than the foundry. Its kind of silly to get it so late when its just a robot with a gatling gun. It should be a research prereq earlier in the tree than foundry

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    The worst is when they take an extra step around some cover in the middle of their walk and that ONE step out of line activates another group of aliens.

Indeed, and the plasma sniper rifle is big fucking gun.
    You can also get a better version of the plasma rifles as well.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

Yes, you can eventually research plasma sniper rifles, plasma LMGs, a heavier-duty plasma rifle, and a plasma rocket launcher.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Yes, you can, in addition to plasma pistols and regular plasma rifles (+2 damage over the light ones instead of the aim bonus). There's also a shotgun at that tech level, but it isn't technically plasma-related.

I kinda wonder why they didn't make a plasma shotgun, considering they made a laser shotgun. They decided everyone's weapons being green was too boring, so they made one orangish?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
  • Options
    A plasma rocket launcher sounds like the best thing.

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    I've got a question about Covering Fire in the Support tree - it says that it allows reaction fire on firing, not just movement. So does that mean if i set up on overwatch and I've already got an alien in view that the support will fire?

If so - what are the applications for this? I think it would only make sense if the alien I was firing on lost whatever cover bonus it had while it's firing.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    Lawndart wrote: »

Yes, you can eventually research plasma sniper rifles, plasma LMGs, a heavier-duty plasma rifle, and a plasma rocket launcher.

Heavy plasma and (I think) plasma rifles can be scavenged off of enemies just like light plasma rifles and plasma pistols. The sniper rifle you've got to make yourself, though.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Do I have to use the Psionic skills to get more Psionic upgrades or is it just dependant on xp?

Sirialis on
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    So my max rank sniper misses a muton with 85% chance to hit. Twice. My other rookie sniper with 45% chance, also miss. My assault fires twice at 60%, misses both times. My support fires with 45% chance. Another miss. Enemy shoots my heavy with a critical instantly killing her.

F*CK!

My 'other' heavy got hit with critical death from the last enemy of the prior map, as they walked out of fog of war and shot them across the flippin map behind cover.

So now I am down to using rookie heavies because of complete and total BULL! God this game can be really fun, but it has the worst crapsack, ripoff, stupid as hell moments way too often.

You know what, I lost my first damn heavy to that bullcrap too! My entire memorial wall is three heavies who got bullshit killed by the cpu. >_<

• Options
    I've got a question about Covering Fire in the Support tree - it says that it allows reaction fire on firing, not just movement. So does that mean if i set up on overwatch and I've already got an alien in view that the support will fire?

If so - what are the applications for this? I think it would only make sense if the alien I was firing on lost whatever cover bonus it had while it's firing.
    Covering Fire gives you a shot on an enemy after they fire, if you're on overwatch and haven't already used your reaction shot on something else. I'm not sure if the target loses their cover bonus or not...I assume they must, or else the skill would be almost completely useless. It's rare that enemies will move from out of sight directly into cover without provoking a regular reaction shot.

Personally, I'm inclined to go for Sprint instead. I guess Covering Fire might be decent against targets in heavy cover that you were going to miss anyway, assuming hit chances work that way, but for the most part you want to take all available measures to kill aliens on your own turn if possible. And if you can't, Suppression is probably a better use of your turn if you have it (Covering Fire WILL NOT proc if a suppressed target fires, which was disappointing). There's definite synergy with Sentinel, which gives you two reaction shots instead of one, but picking a rank 1 upgrade on the off-chance that you'll live long enough to see a max-rank upgrade is...optimistic, to say the least.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Maybe you should have used a grenade to soften him up and destroy his cover before taking so many marginal shots?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Do I have to use the Psionic skills to get more Psionic upgrades or is it just dependant on xp?

Yes

• Options
    If your hit percentage is less than 80% or so, I'd consider doing something other than taking a shot. Basically always assume that if the aliens can shoot your unit, they will die. In a lot of cases its better to just fall back to heavy cover, throw a grenade and let someone else take a shot and so on.

• Options
    mollehmolleh Registered User regular
    Heavy plasma rifles in the hands of a soldier with HEAT ammo = lollertastic! It does like 18-20 damage to cyberdisks and sectopods without even critting.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    That's why nades are rad as fuck. GUARANTEED DAMAGE AND COVER DESTRUCTION, OOH YEAH.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Jintor wrote: »
    That's why nades are rad as fuck. GUARANTEED DAMAGE AND COVER DESTRUCTION, OOH YEAH.

Yea, 45% to hit for a rookie with a scope or a squaddie sniper is a Muton with light cover.

Destroy the cover and that goes from -20 to +40 for exposed virtually guaranteeing a hit.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    molleh wrote: »
    Heavy plasma rifles in the hands of a soldier with HEAT ammo = lollertastic! It does like 18-20 damage to cyberdisks and sectopods without even critting.

Hell yes. Crit does 30 damage and instantly downs Sectopods in Classic. It's a little less reliable than a Ghost Armor Alloy Cannon burst, though.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Heavy plasma and (I think) plasma rifles can be scavenged off of enemies just like light plasma rifles and plasma pistols. The sniper rifle you've got to make yourself, though.

The bright side of having to research and develop plasma sniper rifles yourself because you're unable to scavenge them off enemies is thank fucking God there are no enemies toting plasma sniper rifles.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I have the Second Wave options enabled but I am wondering what the Hidden Potential and Not Created Equally options actually do to soldiers?

Anyone that can explain it to me?

Retaba on
  • Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Ironman Classic. Sorry folks, you're about to start dying. But first, success!

@Polaris314 leads three rookies to victory in our first council mission.

@drcongo , @krylon666 , @Blurbl are now vital, important members of our team.
    6E8850188FEA0EE29F43F8468DADC1B83DC7D901

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Retaba wrote: »
    I have the Second Wave options enabled but I am wondering what the Hidden Potential and Not Created Equally options actually do to soldiers?

Anyone that can explain it to me?

Not Created Equally: Rookies are hired with random stats.
    Hidden Potential: On promotion, stat gains are random.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I think enemies with squad sight and ghost powers would be a great way to challenge players who are using those powers to plow through late game enemies.

Though a sectopod killed two of my heavily equipped soldiers after an LOS glitch so, that's pretty good too.

• Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Can I get an invite to WangCOM? Username is the same as my forum handle.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

Covering Fire gives you a shot on an enemy after they fire, if you're on overwatch and haven't already used your reaction shot on something else. I'm not sure if the target loses their cover bonus or not...I assume they must, or else the skill would be almost completely useless. It's rare that enemies will move from out of sight directly into cover without provoking a regular reaction shot.

Personally, I'm inclined to go for Sprint instead. I guess Covering Fire might be decent against targets in heavy cover that you were going to miss anyway, assuming hit chances work that way, but for the most part you want to take all available measures to kill aliens on your own turn if possible. And if you can't, Suppression is probably a better use of your turn if you have it (Covering Fire WILL NOT proc if a suppressed target fires, which was disappointing). There's definite synergy with Sentinel, which gives you two reaction shots instead of one, but picking a rank 1 upgrade on the off-chance that you'll live long enough to see a max-rank upgrade is...optimistic, to say the least.

There is also the fact that an alien might aproach and fire without ever moving to someplace you can get a normal reaction shot off. I'm pretty sure that shooting from full cover, at very least, moves whoever's shooting out of cover; I've revealed aliens before simply from stepping out to take a shot.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    I need more psionics. So far, only one. My only soldier with the classic X-Com hair and bright yellow armour by default.

None of my super-supports were Psionic and I really wanted a psionic super-support. :(

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Too late now, but if your first batch of soldiers fail, your next soldier to be tested will always succeed.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    Too late now, but if your first batch of soldiers fail, your next soldier to be tested will always succeed.

What? No. My first run through, it took two failed test groups before I got my first psychic guy (he also turned out to be the only psychic out of my recruited mans.)

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »

The bright side of having to research and develop plasma sniper rifles yourself because you're unable to scavenge them off enemies is thank fucking God there are no enemies toting plasma sniper rifles.

Jesus Christ, seriously. I'd just put a bullet in my own head if I had to deal with that.

Except I'd probably miss with a 95% hit chance.

• Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    Is there a way to remove all equipment from everyone not in your current squad? Also is the only way to get plasma rifles to build them? I keep attempting to get them through capturing enemies, but I always seem to get light plasma rifles even though if I kill the enemy instead it says their plasma rifle explodes.

• Options
    khain wrote: »
    Is there a way to remove all equipment from everyone not in your current squad? Also is the only way to get plasma rifles to build them? I keep attempting to get them through capturing enemies, but I always seem to get light plasma rifles even though if I kill the enemy instead it says their plasma rifle explodes.

Off the top of my head I've picked up plasma rifles (not lights) from heavy floaters and muton elites.

Also, I should be able to target the enemy I have under mind control. Everybody in my squad knows that the aliens, even if I'm telling them what to do, are the enemy.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    6) Why can't I rename Major Bluetooth Headset to @iolo? I'm just going to call him that in my head anyway.
    Because that man's incompetence is a smear on the good name of @iolo. Why, I bet he can't even make a proper list of reasons he's terrible.

steam_sig.png