As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread of Art and Design

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    the movie is actually kind of depressing

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Art huh?

Incoming stuff I've saved that I think looks coolio and for the most part has fantastic lighting
    pYD04.jpg
    Vg8JY.jpg
    sSURG.jpg
    z9wO6.jpg
    kxs0E.jpg

BLUUUUUUUE ORRRRAAAAAAAANGE

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    would ya look at that

so it is

interesting

• Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    this is now the Blade Runner thread

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    yea

i'm totally ok with that

• Options
    every thread is now the blade runner thread

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    still havent seen blade runner, any cut

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

you need to fix this immediately

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh shit, I have a poster to post on my dumb blog that I never update.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    Although maybe you should have included some
    papyrus.png

Just look at that kerning abortion

Or better yet
    563375_3742720088805_881872881_n.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Options
    Rolo wrote: »
    #pipe wrote: »
    Although maybe you should have included some
    papyrus.png

Just look at that kerning abortion

Or better yet
    563375_3742720088805_881872881_n.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_mZ2ROsHc8

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    the next person to make a snarky post about blue and orange is going to get their phone stolen by me and ill make stupid posts on it and youll be fucking sorry

• Options
    jokes on you

all my posts are already stupid

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Blue and Sinaasappel.

• Options
    chico post that cutequistador

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

watch the edited for tv version. it makes little sense and will leave you generally confused.

It is the most pure blade runner experience ever.

Also Better For TV: Cheech and Chong's Next Movie

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Sooo pretty!

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Just yesterday I found this post on the blog Animalarium
    The Great Depression was a very difficult period for many, and affected a large number of American artists and graphic designers due to the lack of commercial work. In 1935 the US federal government created the Works Progress Administration (WPA) with the aim to provide job opportunities for the unemployed as part of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s New Deal. The fall of the same year saw the launch of the WPA Federal Arts Project, which enabled visual artists, musicians, actors and writers to support themselves and pursue their professional careers.

7KKSk.jpg

1lMF7.jpg

tkJR1.jpg

There are tons more and I am in love with them! (Especially the ones from Brookfield.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    fSB1b.gif

NDeVa.gif

qA3ml.gif

WT31x.gif

NNHaa.gif

cwxPT.gif

via Andy Helms, at
    http://oktotally.tumblr.com/

you might also remember him as the creator of

E2Lhm.png

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Yay it's this thread again!

I just finished doing a group assignment that was mostly designing a new branding scheme for a charity organization here. I spent a bunch of time doing calligraphy by hand, but the client ended up choosing the one which another girl had designed using Lobster.

>:[

Flay on
  • Options
    holy shit

Buttlord GT was the greatest thing on earth when i was in high school

more quotables than a goddamn kanye record

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    the lady who is nominally my supervisor at the library (i volunteer) had me create some labels; she's giving me her usual guidelines, and i feel something in my brain twitch a little when she says, "Comic Sans." i mean, i'm really not much of a snob about it, i even like Papyrus sometimes, but i guess i hold the library environment to a higher standard (heh.) i didn't say anything, 'cause, i mean.. she's nice, and i can't blame the norms for not obsessing over font.

being a film major did tend to make things easier, since papers were either TNR or Courier New...

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    This sometimes makes me a pariah in the design community

But comic sans really isn't that bad a font

If it is used as it was intended - that is making text seem less formal or imposing and making large blocks of text less daunting to read.

The problem I when people use it for everything or in situations where it is really inappropriate. Like the other week I saw it used on a wine bottle.

• Options
  • Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    I read an article once that claimed that a passage of text in comic sans was easier for test subjects to remember than one in arial or tnr or something similarly plain

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
    I read an article once that claimed that a passage of text in comic sans was easier for test subjects to remember than one in arial or tnr or something similarly plain

that is exactly what it was designed for.

• Options
    i was told that people with dyslexia can read comic sans without issue.

Except you're looking at comic sans, and that's a problem.

It's also not true, i tested, so it's at the very least not a 100% thing.

• Options
    World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    I recently saw this font which was supposedly designed with dyslexics in mind, which I can't test for myself but seems cool

kQwcZLJ.png
  • Options
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    What's wrong with arial? Now, I'm a plebian when it comes to this kind of thing but I've never found it actively terrible

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I recently saw this font which was supposedly designed with dyslexics in mind, which I can't test for myself but seems cool

that is interesting, i should download it and see how it goes. I usually just use Courier new because everything is evenly spaced and that tends to help.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

This is cool as fuck, it's just a shame about the terrible kerning. Unless that's somehow a vital part of making it easier for dyslexic people to follow?

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I know someone in senior managment of large company that uses comic sans in his email signature. I see a lot of email signatures in like Lucida Handwriting and I think that looks tacky as hell

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    What's wrong with arial? Now, I'm a plebian when it comes to this kind of thing but I've never found it actively terrible

I like Book Antiqua, dunno why. I'm told it's pretty terrible, but for some reason my eyes think it's pretty good to read.

• Options
    what is kerning?

• Options
    using the google to research what kerning is, the spacing between letters does actually help its readability. Though i don't think it completely solves the problem it does help.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »
    what is kerning?

Kerning is the space between two specific letters. The space between all of the letters is "Tracking"

• Options
    Tef wrote: »

Arial is an imitation of Helvetica, but without all of the things that make Helvetica good.

Now I'm not saying Helvetica is perfect - it's not - but Arial is like a finger painted mona lisa

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    For some reason, my boss decided to make her default email font size 12 arial, as opposed to our department's standard size 11 calibri.

So with pretty much every email conversation she's in, it makes it look like she's trying to talk slightly louder than everyone else in the room.