Options

Monster [chat]

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    My dad showed me The Fountainhead at a really young age for some reason even though he hates Ayn Rand. And so its one if those things I am supposed to hate but can't because its imprinted on me, like the Super Mario Bros. movie and Batman and Robin

The movie or the book?

The movie has Gregory Peck and is therefore at least watchable.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Having one of those moments where you can't remember how something pretty basic works and thus feel dumb for it.

Maaaan, how do fans make things cooler via moving air?

Magic

sweat evaporation

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    damn it, shoulda f5'ed

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    fans are actually common in the humid tropics

you see, your sweat doesn't evaporate as easily in high humidity, which makes a fan that much more effective

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Sounds like she has a disconnect between what she thinks she wants and what she actually wants. Which is always tricky business.

thing is, i think i'm the thing she actually wants

like, if that's the problem then i'm almost certainly the thing she actually wants. i won't go into the details of the conversation where she decided not to "jump into anything," but yeah. it's pretty clearly a case of thinking there's something missing, but still wanting what's here. or something. i'm drunk, this shit aint gonna make sense. point being, she's inexperienced enough that she wouldn't know a good relationship if it bit her in the ass.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ronya wrote: »

you see, your sweat doesn't evaporate as easily in high humidity, which makes a fan that much more effective

oh yeah.

but vap coolers don't work for shit.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    My dad showed me The Fountainhead at a really young age for some reason even though he hates Ayn Rand. And so its one if those things I am supposed to hate but can't because its imprinted on me, like the Super Mario Bros. movie and Batman and Robin

The movie or the book?b

The movie. And you mean Gary Cooper

• Options
    i want pumpktris so bad

• Options
    mcdermott wrote: »
    ronya wrote: »

oh yeah.

but vap coolers don't work for shit.

they do if you vent the increased humidity very fast

a fine spray of water is added to standing fans in open-air events sometimes for that reason

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Sounds like she has a disconnect between what she thinks she wants and what she actually wants. Which is always tricky business.

thing is, i think i'm the thing she actually wants

like, if that's the problem then i'm almost certainly the thing she actually wants. i won't go into the details of the conversation where she decided not to "jump into anything," but yeah. it's pretty clearly a case of thinking there's something missing, but still wanting what's here. or something. i'm drunk, this shit aint gonna make sense. point being, she's inexperienced enough that she wouldn't know a good relationship if it bit her in the ass.

Sounds like a plan

:winky:

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    ok, that makes sense

edit: the vap cooler bit, mind you. nothing with this girl makes any fucking sense at all. i'm sticking around, though, because having her as a friend would actually be pretty spiffy as well.

mcdermott on
  • Options

The movie or the book?b

The movie. And you mean Gary Cooper

Yes.

<3

• Options
    gnight, chat

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Having one of those moments where you can't remember how something pretty basic works and thus feel dumb for it.

Your body heat warms the air immediately in your vicinity by convention. A fan moves that air with slightly cooler air.

This also allows moisture on your skin to more easily evaporate by reducing the dewpoint of the air immediately touching you.

So fans only make you feel colder but do not actually make the room colder.

Okay, this makes far more sense to me.

Air is a much better insulator than we realise. Imagine replacing that inch of air between your hand and a hot pan with.. anything else, really. Or remember why wool sweaters made of holes work so well.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    oh shit just saw the bolded

i was thinking of going for the naked man instead

works two out of three times

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
  • Options
    poshniallo wrote: »

Your body heat warms the air immediately in your vicinity by convention. A fan moves that air with slightly cooler air.

This also allows moisture on your skin to more easily evaporate by reducing the dewpoint of the air immediately touching you.

Air is a much better insulator than we realise. Imagine replacing that inch of air between your hand and a hot pan with.. anything else, really. Or remember why wool sweaters made of holes work so well.

that is a fucking genius explanation. i'm gonna have to remember that and keep it on tap.

• Options
    This is fantastic.

HoverBar_hero_headerlarge_6.jpg

Okay, bedtime for reals.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Naked man!

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Naked man!

the burt reynolds

every time

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Man, the problem with your entire circle of friend having the same work schedule is everyone wants to do something on the same night. Got invited to three different things tonight, of course, I am gonna go with Simon's but still! Oh wells.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I am in the backseat of a car. The person to the left of me is crying. The person to the right is vomiting. I am too sober.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    This is fantastic.

HoverBar_hero_headerlarge_6.jpg

Okay, bedtime for reals.

If I used a desktop with any regularity, I'd be all over it.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    I am in the backseat of a car. The person to the left of me is crying. The person to the right is vomiting. I am too sober.

oh yeah thats no good

• Options

that is a fucking genius explanation. i'm gonna have to remember that and keep it on tap.

Thank you.

I am also able to explain magnets, tides, and the entire English language.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Man, the problem with your entire circle of friend having the same work schedule is everyone wants to do something on the same night. Got invited to three different things tonight, of course, I am gonna go with Simon's but still! Oh wells.

Don't do anything for my sake, hanging out with me is stagnation incarnate. The party don't start until I walk out, etc.

• Options
    In other news, went back to yuppie central yesterday to give another day of assertiveness training.

Feels really good to just tell people, 'You're doing it all wrong!' after years of respecting their right to suck at international business meetings.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yay off work!

Hey Simon, I am about to run out the door so fire me off an email as to when you think you will be getting into Sendai.

Toodles!

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular

p much
    its also the explanation I was given for down jackets
    the down just creates pockets of dead air around your body which your body warms and then keeps you toasty

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Good morning [chat].

• Options

Thank you.

I am also able to explain magnets, tides, and the entire English language.

oh yeah?
    what about Portuguese then

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Hiya, Tsarina Bobette.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Amazing. Nerds are breaking out rulers to measure Cortana's boobs in the new Halo 4 game.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/24757102/#Comment_24757102

• Options
    As a digital boobologist,

• Options
    As a tit,

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Amazing. Nerds are breaking out rulers to measure Cortana's boobs in the new Halo 4 game.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/24757102/#Comment_24757102

dafuq

• Options
    like, seriously?

this is why cancer ain't cured yet.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    If boobs didn't exist, I would like to think we'd be in some floating, fantastical future paradise.

To those who utilize boobs often, this is probably a fair trade.

• Options
    like, seriously?

this is why cancer ain't cured yet.

hasn't smoked long enough

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
This discussion has been closed.