As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Disgaea]: D2 Out On Steam, D5 Coming To Nintendo Switch

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I spent around 50 hours on Disgaea 1 PSP, doing very little postgame content.

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Okay. I dont weeabo the fuck out on things normally. Especially crazy sexist japanese stuff.

BUT FEM LAHARL HAS BIG TITS AND THAT WHOLE CONVERSATION IS GOING TO BE AMAZING.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I put in a completely silly amount of time in Disgaea 1 post game but I never played through Etna mode. Should I do that?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Hey, I just recognised that sword. Laharl is seen with that model frequently. Cosmic Blade or something in the original game? The fuller is striking.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Etna Mode is pretty fun, short too. It's worth getting Disgaea 1 PSP for.

Never did get Disgaea 2 PSP, the PS2 version I have is more than enough.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZanshinretsuZanshinretsu About 20% more deathstare Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hm, new Disgaea game coming eh? I own all of them in one format or another and the first one (on DS) was the only one I actually got close to "completing". I got somewhat far into 2, not as far in 4 and I'm currently playing 3 on my Vita. For me it seems like I do the best when the games are on handhelds and I can just grind away when on the go or something. That being said, I'm only about 50 hours into 3 and on the chapter called "finale". Now I know that most of the meat of the game comes from post-game so the real fun is probably yet to begin. At least the game is easy to put down for a spell and then start up again later. This is especially good since I expect P4 to demand a lot of my time later this month. Back on topic, this sequel with the original cast looks fun. There were some great dynamics between those three that I'd gladly like to see again.

My studio's main site
    PSN: Zanshiretsu <-- misspelled because I am dumb.
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I took up that $10 deal on Afternoon of Darkness that was posted a couple pages back. $5 off, and mostly instant (it took maybe five minutes to get the email with the key).

First of all, these mechanics are weird. Just really weird.

Secondly, that music. So good.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else really miffed that Flonne turned into an Archangel in D4 with no explanation? Its not like the series is ever that big on sense, but something would have been nice.

Admittedly, I'm one of Flonne's few devotees.
    Also, I spent the entire second half of Disgaea 4 waiting for them to reveal that it was all a big joke. Nope. Took a villain dumb enough to qualify for a Spiderman cartoon completely serious...

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »
    Is anyone else really miffed that Flonne turned into an Archangel in D4 with no explanation? Its not like the series is ever that big on sense, but something would have been nice.

Also, I spent the entire second half of Disgaea 4 waiting for them to reveal that it was all a big joke. Nope. Took a villain dumb enough to qualify for a Spiderman cartoon completely serious...

Disgaea Infinite gives a reason.
    She spends the game in her Angel form, mentioning that she's studying to take the Angel entrance exam to be let back into Celestia. So by the time 4 comes along, she's simply moved up the ranks.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    gavindel wrote: »

Disgaea Infinite gives a reason.
    She spends the game in her Angel form, mentioning that she's studying to take the Angel entrance exam to be let back into Celestia. So by the time 4 comes along, she's simply moved up the ranks.

So, Raspberyl's story in Disgaea 3 comes after Infinite, then?
    Plus, it also seems that she can switch between angel and demon, since she walks on first as Fallen Angel Flonne, realizes she's in the wrong outfit, runs off screen and comes back as Archangel Flonne.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    I wouldn't go to Flonne to find out what the hell she is. She thinks she's a ninja.
    Ask Lamington.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So Laharl does indeed have a younger sister, except it isn't the blue-haired lookalike from the last image.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/19/meet-laharls-sister-the-overlord-wannabe-in-disgaea-dimension-2/

• Options
  • Options
    fedaykin666fedaykin666 Registered User regular
    I've only played Disgaea 1 and 2, but I just enjoyed the main stories of both of those games. 2 was slightly less funny than 1, but still amusing and they added lots of cool features, notably making the item world less dull for short trips with random pirate invasions and whatnot.

I'm looking more at eventually playing 3 and 4, before I look at this, but I'd probably rather play them on Vita than a PS3, if NIS get on those ports!

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hkqtmv8JZYY&hd=1
    Sicily, the girl shown after Flonne, claims to be Laharl’s sister. Barbara and a mysterious demon called Xenoris are also new characters.
    Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/28/new-disgaea-dimension-2-shows-human-and-monster-combo-attacks/#XYU8yVU07krxdFtc.99

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    I've only played Disgaea 1 and 2, but I just enjoyed the main stories of both of those games. 2 was slightly less funny than 1, but still amusing and they added lots of cool features, notably making the item world less dull for short trips with random pirate invasions and whatnot.

I'm looking more at eventually playing 3 and 4, before I look at this, but I'd probably rather play them on Vita than a PS3, if NIS get on those ports!

Disgaea 3 Vita already exists

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hkqtmv8JZYY&hd=1
    Sicily, the girl shown after Flonne, claims to be Laharl’s sister. Barbara and a mysterious demon called Xenoris are also new characters.
    Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2012/12/28/new-disgaea-dimension-2-shows-human-and-monster-combo-attacks/#XYU8yVU07krxdFtc.99

Looks good! Sounds good!
    And that was animu-Winged Slayer.

• Options
    FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    They never go out explaining who the fem Laharl is from one of the posters is, do they.....?

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'm not the only one ecstatic they brought back geopanels, instead of geocubes, I hope.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Yesssssss more Disgaea!

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm not the only one ecstatic they brought back geopanels, instead of geocubes, I hope.

Nope!

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    Speaking of Disgaea, wondering if the Vita version of Disgaea 3 is any good, or if I should just play some more Afternoon of Darkness?

I think it might be the best version as it has another (end game) campaign plus it has all the dlc content as part of the "game" as opposed to the nickel and dime stuff the PS3 Disgaea 3 forced you to do.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    If I was going to buy one of the PS3 Disagaea's, which one should I get? I have little interest in any post game stuff.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I thought D3 was pretty funny.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    If I was going to buy one of the PS3 Disagaea's, which one should I get? I have little interest in any post game stuff.

Disgaea 4 for sure. It's the 2nd best game in the series after 1. The cast is outstanding and it takes the good gameplay additions from D3 while stripping a lot of the annoying ones.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Here’s an interesting twist – one morning Laharl wakes up and without knowing why changes into a woman’s body. Why does Laharl become Laharl-chan? We’ll have to wait for more information to find out.
    Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/15/disgaea-dimension-2-tidbits-about-an-alternate-etna-and-laharl-as-a-girl/#ssTa5WxlwHYBMRWv.99

I already know the jokes that are going to result from this and I'm totally for it.

• Options
    Intro Movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiL-lfDFczo&amp;feature=player_embedded#hd=1

Good lord, someone get Etna a sandwich.

I also shouldn't be excited about Flonne becoming a Magical Girl...and yet I am.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Argh. I wish this was coming out for a different system!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Argh. I wish this was coming out for a different system!

Hopefully the Vita will die quickly enough that we can start getting 3DS ports.

• Options
  • Options
    eloquentraveeloquentrave Registered User regular

Why? Dear god, WHY? WHY DO THIS TO ME?

Now I have to hit up e-bay on the off-chance they have a used hyperbolic chamber, or else find a purer form of caffeine than imported Brasilian guarana and work the whole strung-out junkie look, or else go vampire hunting half-heartedly, so I might go ghoul, and mitigate downtime fullstop. Sleep what?

• Options
    Redhead is female Laharl's male Etna. Just guessing.

• Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Finally another Disgaea for the PS3. I have succeeding in resisting the urge to buy a Vita!

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    Wha~?
    Laharl is now been crowned Overlord of his Netherworld and has taken his father's place on the throne. However, the demons of his Netherworld do not respect him or his authority. Also, a group of demons called King Krichevskoy faction are trying to usurp him and put someone that they find to be a more suitable leader on the throne.

Compounding the issue is the sudden appearance of rapidly multiplying Celestial Flowers that are changing the atmosphere of the Netherworld. The King Krichevskoy faction blames Laharl for the sudden appearance of the flowers, believing it to be an act of aggression from the angels in retaliation for the events that occurred in Disgaea: Hour of Darkness.

After a run in with the King Krichevskoy faction, Laharl wakes up the next morning to find that he is in a female body due to unknown circumstances.

http://disgaea.wikia.com/wiki/Disgaea_D2:_A_Brighter_Darkness

Edit: Neat, magic!
    Disgaea_D2_-_Tera_Fire.jpg

Disgaea_D2_-_Tera_Ice.jpg

Disgaea_D2_-_Tera_Wind.jpg
    ^ Remember this guy!

Disgaea_D2_-_Tera_Star.jpg

Disgaea_D2_-_Tera_Heal.jpg

These are special book-spells, or something?
    Wind_and_Star_Summon_Co-op.jpg

Oh, I get it. Books are weapon-mastery with spells. So more elemental versatility for casters with one kind of innate spells.
    I suppose staves will be better for casters who already have all the innate spells they need, but that's always been what staves do.

PLA on
  • Options
    Santa Ana, Calif. (July 9, 2013) – NIS America is thrilled to announce that the newest installment of the fan-favorite strategy RPG series, Disgaea®D2: A Brighter Darkness, will release on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system on October 8 in North America and September 27 in Europe. Celebrating the 20th anniversary of Nippon Ichi Software and 10th anniversary of the Disgaea series, Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness brings back the popular trio from the first game: Laharl, Etna, and Flonne! With a completely new storyline, it offers game system refinements that will entice new players, while still offering the same kind of hardcore, over-the-top, endless gameplay that is sure to please longtime fans! Disgaea D2: A Brighter Darkness will also feature various DLC to keep entertaining players for even more sleepless nights this fall!

For more information, please visit NISAmerica.com/disgaea_d2

About the game:
    The Netherworld – a place where might makes right and today’s friends are tomorrow’s enemies. After a long journey with many ups and downs, Laharl finally finds himself as a full-fledged Overlord. However, the other denizens of the Netherworld do not see him as such, so he sets out on a journey with his loyal(!?) vassals to receive the respect he deserves. Along the way, Laharl will meet a girl who claims to be his sister, demons with bigger than usual chips on their shoulders, and find out that even his own body holds a few surprises for him...

Key features:
    Enhanced Customization: The character creation system has been completely revamped to allow for the highest level of character customization in series history!
    Master/Pupil System: The player chooses the master and the pupil, as well as which skills to learn! Benefits include new skills and higher weapon proficiencies for the pupil, while the master gets a stat boost!
    Item World: Challenge this battleground to power up your weapons, items, and characters! Prepare to deal massive damage!
    Geo Panels: These status-altering blocks provide bonuses or detriments to the terrain! Change the tide of battle by skillfully manipulating these elemental icons!
    Reunite with old friends and meet a new crew: Bringing back the fan favorite trio of Laharl, Etna, and Flonne, with new characters and a brand-new story!

I was wondering when we were going to hear more about this game.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    may I just say HELL YEAH

missed this thread the first time around

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Enhanced Customization: The character creation system has been completely revamped to allow for the highest level of character customization in series history!

That's horrifying. I'm not even excited.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    http://disgaea.us/disg_d2/disgaea_d2_contest/winner.html

Winners from the weapon contest. "All-finger fistcount" and "The Doodbringer" are great.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    So close. "Discount" would have been excellent.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited July 2013
    I just recently got the Vita version of 3 and have played it a little, but then it prompted me to buy a copy of 4 for $19 and I stopped playing 3. Four is definitely my favorite after the original now. I'm just starting on the postgame storyline but I downloaded and finished the 4 Episode Fuka and Desco show, and the Flashback Episode first. Tyrant Valvatorez is definitely going to make the rest of the postgame much easier.

To the earlier posts of music from Disgaea 4, this one is probably my favorite battle theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqI0nrJ16zs

EDIT: Holy shit I just realized that Troy Baker voices Valvatorez. Playing this after playing The Last of Us really puts his VA talent into perspective.

Viskod on