As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Disgaea]: D2 Out On Steam, D5 Coming To Nintendo Switch

1404142434446»

• Options
    EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    Breaking the game in half is kind of the point of the games though. There's usually even multiple ways to do it. I just want a western release announcement. 6 was such a disappointment but 7 sounds like it's much better.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Maybe, but this isn't some clever use of skills or the like. There's even an option to automatically sell everything you draw, so once you get past the break point of bad rolls (easy enough to do with save/load), it's just basically a button in the castle you can mash that dispenses unlimited money. Not even slowly either. A couple minutes on the most expensive rolls, and you'll have more than you could spend to kit out an entire squad with the best things you can buy until the postgame.

ArcTangent on
    ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Never going to touch it unless a character unlock or something is tied to it for some awful reason.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    That was in DD2, and was the quickest way to break the game because you were very likely to get things that sold for more than it cost to roll by like... a huge amount. Not just technically infinite money if you spent a long time grinding, but completely ruined the non-NG+ game economy an hour or two into the game.

Apparently this one has to be unlocked in the assembly, as well as it doesn't use HL but rather resources that you get in other ways. Easiest way to farm them is to equip a muscle or orb on a character with high HP/SP affinity and unequip it, then heal at the hospital.

• Options
    KiTA wrote: »
    That was in DD2, and was the quickest way to break the game because you were very likely to get things that sold for more than it cost to roll by like... a huge amount. Not just technically infinite money if you spent a long time grinding, but completely ruined the non-NG+ game economy an hour or two into the game.

Apparently this one has to be unlocked in the assembly, as well as it doesn't use HL but rather resources that you get in other ways. Easiest way to farm them is to equip a muscle or orb on a character with high HP/SP affinity and unequip it, then heal at the hospital.

That's the kind of sweaty gameplay that sucks the fun right out of games though.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

That's the kind of sweaty gameplay that sucks the fun right out of games though.

>Spam equipping Muscles to heal at the hospital
    >Sweaty gameplay

I... see what you did there?

They basically disassociated it slightly so you can't powergrind it in the early game without having to put at least a little effort in. In the mid game you have the resources to use it (some), and by the endgame and postgame the gear it drops is probably pointless?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Hospital-bonuses are usually finite.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    After all these years, FINALLY!

(RHAPSODY 2 & 3!)

Rhapsody 2 goes even more hard on being a musical than the first, and that's saying something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImUHhkKQxbk

Here's hoping the dub is up to the task.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    In much less important news:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLlk74apf2Q

(D7 localization, shocking no one)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Ugh I have to wait until FALL?! And that's if it doesn't get pushed back more : /

• Options
    Any word on whether Disgaea 7 performance on Switch is better than 6? Hopefully the rumors actually pan out and (Super) Switch (2/U/Pro) comes out this year and I can just play it on that.

As far as I can tell there isn't any build your own character or FE:A Robin type character, so they haven't put the Monster Menu character creation to use in other games yet.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Any word on whether Disgaea 7 performance on Switch is better than 6? Hopefully the rumors actually pan out and (Super) Switch (2/U/Pro) comes out this year and I can just play it on that.

As far as I can tell there isn't any build your own character or FE:A Robin type character, so they haven't put the Monster Menu character creation to use in other games yet.

From the impressions I'm seeing, it's mostly better, but there are sometimes pretty painfully loads into particularly busy maps.

Weapon skills are massively reduced (only 4 each) and a lot of mechanics from 5 are gone (eg subweapons), as well as things like the chara world (stuff like extra move/jump/counter is all done via senate). Revenge mechanic from 5 is still around. Item worlds are maxed out at up to 30 floors for legendary items, but scale upward in difficulty much more aggressively. Items now have 'attributes' which do things like make attacks with them an element or boost one specific stat, while all innocents are just raw stat increases. Item reincarnation is basically just changing a maxed item into a different one out of a limited random selection with some extra points to put into its stats.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options

From the impressions I'm seeing, it's mostly better, but there are sometimes pretty painfully loads into particularly busy maps.

Weapon skills are massively reduced (only 4 each) and a lot of mechanics from 5 are gone (eg subweapons), as well as things like the chara world (stuff like extra move/jump/counter is all done via senate). Revenge mechanic from 5 is still around. Item worlds are maxed out at up to 30 floors for legendary items, but scale upward in difficulty much more aggressively. Items now have 'attributes' which do things like make attacks with them an element or boost one specific stat, while all innocents are just raw stat increases. Item reincarnation is basically just changing a maxed item into a different one out of a limited random selection with some extra points to put into its stats.

I heard someone mention that AI can't be used in the item worlds, so the game going for more quality time spent in the item world you do yourself (relatively quickly if you can) and potentially more interesting item worlds again (since the player will now actually see them instead of the AI clearing most of what it can) would definitely be an improvement.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options

I heard someone mention that AI can't be used in the item worlds, so the game going for more quality time spent in the item world you do yourself (relatively quickly if you can) and potentially more interesting item worlds again (since the player will now actually see them instead of the AI clearing most of what it can) would definitely be an improvement.

Autobattle can't be used in the item world, period. You have to clear story/regular maps before you can use it on them, and it uses a resource that is consumed each turn. There's also a postgame bill that lets you run a stage once on autobattle, and then say "do that X more times for Y resource" and it just deducts it and pays out.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I think it's probably high time we did a new thread, so we're not advertising D2 and D5 for the next 50 pages...

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Professor Snugglesworth (thread host) is also inactive for months at a time.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    D2 and 5 are the best ones in the series so maybe we should advertise those?

• Options
    D7 Limited Editions are up.

Yes, editions this time. There's the standard $99 Limited edition:

xe2usus9qn2w.png

https://store.nisamerica.com/disgaea-7-vows-of-the-virtueless/disgaea-7-vows-of-the-virtueless-limited-edition-nintendo-switch

But also a $160 limited edition that comes with one of each of the new D7 not-FumoFumo plushes from Japan:

sxul1znfn9m8.png

https://store.nisamerica.com/disgaea-7-vows-of-the-virtueless/disgaea-7-vows-of-the-virtueless-limited-edition-nintendo-switch-with-lil-fuji-pirilika-plush-set

No pictures of the actual "Lil' Plush" plushies, but if they're anything like FumoFumos we're looking at something like:

339h38911bqs.png

There was an earlier actual Disgaea Fumo set from a few decades back, here's Etna and Flonne:
    glrndgbf1k2l.pngkyf5fyigemlq.png

• Options
    Professor Snugglesworth (thread host) is also inactive for months at a time.

More like years...

So here's a new thread!

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/246848/disgaea-still-taking-strategy-rpgs-to-hell-and-back-d7-announced/p1?new=1

wVEsyIc.png