As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Disgaea]: D2 Out On Steam, D5 Coming To Nintendo Switch

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    FINALLY got the item world unlocked. Is it just me or does it take forever to do this time around?

Now to grind out some uber items! Temporarily!
    With Innocents, the only way to be sure to get all of them in an item is to take it to level 100, right?

No? I'm not sure what you're asking here tho. Innocents have a random chance to show up on a floor. If you miss one, it can show up again as well.

I'll try again. If an item has 4 Innocents in it, how many floors of the Item World do you have to clear to guarantee running into all 4 Innocents?

I don't believe there is any guarantee. There's just a random chance of being on a floor each time.

Another question: I've run into quests to recruit new classes that require rank 3 Brawlers, but I haven't seen any Brawler class? I feel like I should have run into them by now?

You can make them from the get go at the Recruiter. They're the Martial Artist.

Ooooooooh! *facepalm* I feel silly. I kept looking for a class that was literally called Brawler. :(

It's odd because "Brawler" is a term used to refer to both the female and male "kung-fu" classes just like "Mage" refers to the Skulls and the Magicians.

Yeah, or even for "Fighter" the male's version is called Fighter (or at least has fighter in the title), though the female version is Lady Valkyrie, iirc.

I don't know how much grinding you're going to be up for if you think that getting to unlocking the item world took "forever". ;-)

Also, I just unlocked the Chara(sp?) world, and ... its weird. Is this a new think for D5? I haven't played 3 or 4.

It was introduced in 4. It was called Class World in 3 and wasn't in 2.

It took forever because I just don't have a lot of time to play. It took me what... 4 days to get to it? But it feels like they introduced it sooner in the other games is what I mainly meant.

• Options
    KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    D4 had the same board game-ish Chara world? I don't remember that at all, heh.

• Options
    Kryhs wrote: »
    D4 had the same board game-ish Chara world? I don't remember that at all, heh.

No, they had a Chara World but it was sort of the same as the Item World.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Chara World isn't new, but they changed Chara World.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I much prefer this version. Item worlding for tiny char boosts was painful. This is faster.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    What does chara translate to? Is it just supposed to be short for "character"?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    What does chara translate to? Is it just supposed to be short for "character"?

yup

• Options
    Kyarakuta-

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    does d5 have any cool internet connection meta games like d4? i need to salivate about it a bit, after I burn out on dd2 i'm going to replay d4 again because i fucking love their item world pirate team stuff

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    azith28 wrote: »
    Anyone know a really good early leveling area? I'm only on act 3 but can't really find anything good.

Best ive been able to do is max out the xp stat in the cheat shop, then do the first 10 levels of item world on different items. The monsters in item world are curious...lots of them are showing highish levels but have really low health, so the xp seems to be much better. just be careful in the mystery rooms, those mobs are tough and look much more like the level they are in health and resistances.

I'm afraid to talk to anyone in Mystery rooms after I accidentally robbed a bank and got seven 9999s sicced on me.

doh, I just did this, lost like 3 hours of progress

I thought there'd at least be an escape pad under the guide like all the others, but nope, it's fight or die on that one

in other news

there's an evility in the skill shop for my sage that says it reduces a targets star resistance to 0 when using star attacks

that sounds good on paper but...if an opponent actually has negative star resistance, would that also put them at zero and cause you to do less damage? Granted, I guess not a ton of enemies are weak to star and the stronger ones are probably more likely to be resistant/

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    does d5 have any cool internet connection meta games like d4? i need to salivate about it a bit, after I burn out on dd2 i'm going to replay d4 again because i fucking love their item world pirate team stuff

You can visit player-made maps and make and share your own and have friends give you items (or randomly appear in your Meeting).

Apparently you also get bonuses for streaming the game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2015

there's an evility in the skill shop for my sage that says it reduces a targets star resistance to 0 when using star attacks

that sounds good on paper but...if an opponent actually has negative star resistance, would that also put them at zero and cause you to do less damage? Granted, I guess not a ton of enemies are weak to star and the stronger ones are probably more likely to be resistant/

a negative magic resistance means the character takes that much more damage from it. So a 100 point fire spell would to 150 points of damage to something with -50% Fire. So yeah it would suck on targets that are weak to Star

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Whoops wrong thread

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Phantom Brave's confine-system sent resistances flying all over the place.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Super-belated thanks for Magic Pink for the D2 guide. These are games where I really enjoy having a detailed reference while I'm playing.

You're good people.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    in other news

Yes, that's the trade-off. You're giving up the ability to hit a weakness in exchange for ignoring resistances, basically. There's another evility in the same vein that sets all of your own resistances to zero.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So when i take a main character into the char world, complete it and earn a bonus to attribute gain, does that go away after i reincarnate or does it stack over every reincarnate?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    So when i take a main character into the char world, complete it and earn a bonus to attribute gain, does that go away after i reincarnate or does it stack over every reincarnate?

I think it stacks but it doesn't stack 100%. It's subject to the same inheritance percentage everything else is.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    What do the Evilties that change stat growth rates do? Is that for leveling up? Can I reincarnate so I can get extra bonuses from leveling up?

• Options
    What do the Evilties that change stat growth rates do? Is that for leveling up? Can I reincarnate so I can get extra bonuses from leveling up?
    They increase the amount you get by whatever percent they are.

So like Mean Guy, if you gain 10 ATK on a level up, would change that to 11. I don't think they affect reincarnation acquisition rates.

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    On Chapter 2 of Disgaea and I unlocked the Pugilist class. Laharl has a bunch of Mana saved up but I was wondering if I should recruit a pugilist or wait till I hit Rank 3 and do transmigration on my current Lv.6 Brawler?

Edit: Nevermind, didn't realize I have to get my Brawler up to Rank 3 to do transmigration. Might as well make the Pugilist since she is only Rank 1.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Wait imo. Reincarnation carries over accumulated mastery and such.

Plenty of other classes to make... which version of Disgaea 1?

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    PS2. I'm pretty overwhelmed with how much you can do in this game.
    I have one person of each class in my group, but only have about 5-6 ringers that do massive damage at the moment.
    Laharal, Etna, A Prinny, Female Brawler and Female Cleric

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    Riokenn wrote: »
    I have one person of each class in my group, but only have about 5-6 ringers that do massive damage at the moment.

Yeah, that's Disgaea all right.

• Options
    I have to say, I'm really enjoying D5 so far. The character designs are all well done. I like the quests to unlock the classes, so I'm not just stumbling around trying to figure out what to level. Also, unlike D1 and D2, there doesn't seem to be a "god" class, so there seems to be a point to leveling up a variety of classes, which I really like.

The story itself isn't anything amazing, but it is enjoyable, plip.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The Sage is the god class I guess, but in a limited sense.

• Options
    The Sage is the god class I guess, but in a limited sense.

i don;t know, the videos i've been watching pretty much make her seem extremely god like

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Armor Knight is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous.

I detest any time there's enemy ones on the field, and love the bullshit I can do with my own.

And then they learn Galahad's Shield and can start just breaking enemies in half while also taking only 25% damage and blocking damage for the team in a giant area. Absolutely insane.

That said, I don't have sage unlocked yet, so...

Polaritie on
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

I detest any time there's enemy ones on the field, and love the bullshit I can do with my own.

And then they learn Galahad's Shield and can start just breaking enemies in half while also taking only 25% damage and blocking damage for the team in a giant area. Absolutely insane.

Yeah, I just unlocked armor knight, and she is cray cray.

I haven't unlocked Sage yet, but I hope its not like Majins are in D1 or D2. IIRC, after you unlocked Majins, there was literally no (gameplay) reason to level any other class. They have the highest equipment affinities (A's to start, and S's by the end) in all weapons, like 120% (or more?, I don't remember exact numbers) in every stat. It made the endgame grind too boring for me.

• Options

I haven't unlocked Sage yet, but I hope its not like Majins are in D1 or D2. IIRC, after you unlocked Majins, there was literally no (gameplay) reason to level any other class. They have the highest equipment affinities (A's to start, and S's by the end) in all weapons, like 120% (or more?, I don't remember exact numbers) in every stat. It made the endgame grind too boring for me.

If I recall the threads I read, there is a way to build a sage to be super godlike but only for certain situations that I believe involve the item world and geo panels.

• Options

If I recall the threads I read, there is a way to build a sage to be super godlike but only for certain situations that I believe involve the item world and geo panels.

I don't think anyone has the "fuck it shoot everything everywhere" of D4's alien cyborgs.

• Options
    Sage has Land Demise.

Knight is my favourite from D2. It's the first actually useful tank of the series.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular

I don't think anyone has the "fuck it shoot everything everywhere" of D4's alien cyborgs.

Sages are great, and will be your primary Item Worlder. Land Decimate is amazing, but with only a 50% hit rate, RNG can kinda be a bitch at times.

But no, there are no Majin like classes that take over and just beat out everyone. Most of the story chars get 3x3 skills of some sort, either as a character specific skill or eventually via their weapons - so PL'ing them in Martial training isn't too painful. Your Sage will eventually be clearing mirror world in 2 to 3 rounds killing most of the map, and if you have Megaphone equipped you will capture ~30 people a round for interrogating in your base, then converting them to stats.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    Question about 'towers'. I've seen the video that shows creating a stack of people then using some 'tower abilities' to wipe the level. what exactly do you have to do to get those skills to show up however?

• Options
    edited November 2015
    Question about 'towers'. I've seen the video that shows creating a stack of people then using some 'tower abilities' to wipe the level. what exactly do you have to do to get those skills to show up however?

Make a tower. Make a basic attack while in a tower. Repeat for a little bit.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular

Use normal attacks while stacked as a tower. The first skill shows up after something like 3-5 attacks as a tower. Eventually you end up with 3 attacking skills, a movement skill, a throw skill, a lifting skill, and a skill that disperses the tower.

PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
  • Options
    ah...so glad thats like...explained in the game... I mean ive apparently even been making the towers wrong. I thought i had to make a big line of characters and do pickup>pickup>pickup>pickup, wasting all my turns except the guy on top just to position myself to kill that damn clone geopanel the first time....i didnt know i could just walk onto the tower.

• Options
    ah...so glad thats like...explained in the game... I mean ive apparently even been making the towers wrong. I thought i had to make a big line of characters and do pickup>pickup>pickup>pickup, wasting all my turns except the guy on top just to position myself to kill that damn clone geopanel the first time....i didnt know i could just walk onto the tower.

If you walk to the tower the character can't move after they're thrown tho.

• Options
    hum. well it saves a bit of time at least...thanks for the info.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Well, it's taken ten(?) or so chapters, but I'm finally starting to smile regularly along with the antics.
    Seraphina's crusade to prove Christo is an angel is amusing. Especially the bit where she brings Usalia into it.

Sensible chuckles!

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow