As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Do We Have A Beer Thread? I Want to Talk About Beer Now

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    You drink your Labatt and you LIKE IT.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    "Oh hey, I guess I can buy some Muskoka Mad Tom IPA again, I guess. At 14$ for a six pack."

At this point the only Ontario brewery who seems to be making interesting product in my area is Wellington County in Guelph. They've been making runs to Kentucky for bourbon barrels for aging, and have done other weird stuff like a roasted red hot pepper beer, etc. I crave that weirdness.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    My boss got me a bottle of the Ommegang Fire and Blood Red Ale as a going away present because she knew I'm a dork about ASOIAF.

Belgian beers aren't really my thing anymore, but hey, free beer!

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I tried Ommegang's Take the Black stout, and it was perfectly acceptable. Actually, perfectly acceptable is a label I'd apply to most of their beers. Their standout favourite for me is their Rare Vos Amber ale.

• Options
    Oh yeah, Rare Vos is the only of their beers I actually enjoy drinking. Three Philosophers is "good" in a critical sense but a little potent for me. Practically a wine.

Something I didn't notice about the Fire and Blood is that it's brewed with dried Poblano peppers. That makes me uneasy.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    For me, Hennepin is the go-to from Ommegang.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    pardzh wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Rare Vos is the only of their beers I actually enjoy drinking. Three Philosophers is "good" in a critical sense but a little potent for me. Practically a wine.

Something I didn't notice about the Fire and Blood is that it's brewed with dried Poblano peppers. That makes me uneasy.

I couldn't taste the peppers.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2014
    pardzh wrote: »
    My boss got me a bottle of the Ommegang Fire and Blood Red Ale as a going away present because she knew I'm a dork about ASOIAF.

Belgian beers aren't really my thing anymore, but hey, free beer!

It's a pretty spectacular beer, and as it's an Amber\Red Ale instead of say, a Strong Ale, it's not going to be as Belgiumy as say a Three Philosophers....

But I really, really fucking love Three Philosophers, so I'm obviously not the most objective party. But it's a very smooth, flavorful beer.

Edit: I'd like to make a note that it's probably THE beer that made me want to start my blog about Beers.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    Yeah don't get me wrong, Belgian (and Belgian-style) beers initiated my interest in craft brewing as well.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I finished my 50 beer card at my favorite bar, and they put my name on a plaque!

At my favorite bar you get a list to finish and then they order you an inscribed mug and then you get a dollar off drafts. WOOO!

For mine, it's 100 and you get a kickass embroidered polo shirt

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    I finished my 50 beer card at my favorite bar, and they put my name on a plaque!

At my favorite bar you get a list to finish and then they order you an inscribed mug and then you get a dollar off drafts. WOOO!

That would take me something like 4 months, and that's if I went in there every night.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    They're supposed to take you a while to complete, but that sounds like you don't drink nearly enough. I think it took me about 5 months going once a week and doing 4-5 beers at a time, but they also kept fucking up my list so I'm not completely sure how long it took me to finish it. But I was just doing the list while playing trivia there so it wasn't like a burden just a fun goal to reach.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Local bottl-o had some Ballast Point Big Eye IPA on sale, so I picked it up. It's pretty nice, much less floral than the IPAs I'm used to.

• Options
    Big Eye is really freakin' good, I've had that a couple of times.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Ballast Point was the one major in San Diego I did not sample. I shall have to rectify that.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Is Big Eye as expensive as Sculpin? I like the stuff but Christ it's $15.99 for a 6er in some places here on the east coast.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Heh, it was on special here at A$19.20. Down from $24. About $20 a 6er here is where interesting stuff starts.. 'cept for the stuff that is only available in 4ers or single long necks (640mL).

• Options

A Polo? In my hometown, the guy to do the first of every taps got his own bar stool with his name on it.

Eh I'm getting the horse before the cart here.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    We're having our summer work outing at Wisconsin Brewing Company today. Most of what I've had from them has been good-but-not-great, but I will never speak ill of free beer.

I Zimbra on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Beer camp is tomorrow....so excited you guys!

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »

What is beer camp?? That sounds wonderful!

• Options
    Beer Camp - Sierra Nevada's festival.

10 Barrel has extended the recall to Beer No. 1 (Cherry Tart). The enzyme at the root of the second fermentation/carbonation has been identified and since it was used it both Swill and this one, they figured it's better to pull the trigger.

• Options
    edited August 2014
    The Judge wrote: »
    Beer Camp - Sierra Nevada's festival.

10 Barrel has extended the recall to Beer No. 1 (Cherry Tart). The enzyme at the root of the second fermentation/carbonation has been identified and since it was used it both Swill and this one, they figured it's better to pull the trigger.

Fuuuuck definitely learned of this way too late. This is my last weekend before starting grad school and that would've been really easy to talk my dad into.

That is a ridiculously excellent list of brewers.

pardzh on

• Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Oh, the one in Philly? I'm going to that one too.

• Options
    Make Good Choices
    8sQnFevl.jpg?1

I am so happy I finally got Old Chub Nitro in a can, that is one of my all time favorites, and I sampled the nitro version at a tasting event and oh man, it's like the greatest milkshake ever. I can't wait.
    The Downeast is a cider that's sort of like raw homemade hard cider, it's really good and packs a heck of a wallop.
    Sebago Roundabout Red is an American Red, no surprises here, a good malty red ale. Very nice.
    Slumbrew Island Day is an IPA with Calypso, Ella and Pacific Jade hops.

Just got the phone call that my grandfather is reaching the end of his long road, he's ready, my family is ready, all's well that end's well. I'm going to go in the backyard after dinner and drink that Slumbrew and burn some wood and set off a couple small fireworks and sparklers that I bought today, because some of my favorite memories are when he would have a small fireworks show for all of us on July 4th. If you got a strong dark beer, tip one back for John P.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Local stores finally got some Zip Line Copper Alt in so I'll have to try that later this weekend. Already have plans for tonight that will involve alcohol or else I'd probably have one right now.

• Options
    Ooooh that IPA is nice, big time mango flavor.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Beer Camp may not be up in this neck of the woods, but Bailey's Taproom has their Anniversary tomorrow. As is the tradition, all 20 taps are cleared and everything they bring out is barrel-aged.
    2 Towns / Bourbon Barrel Bad Apple - unfiltered semi-dry cider aged for one year in bourbon barrels. 11%

10 Barrel / Old Pumpkin Pucker - first pumpkin beer they ever did, soured with Brett Lambicus in a single red wine barrel since November 2011. 7.5%

Against the Grain / Kentucky Ryed Chiquen - Rye beer aged in Redemption Rye barrels. 8.6%

Block 15 / Golden Canary with red currants (firkin) - A blend of sour Golden ales, matured 4, 9, 14, & 20 months in Pinot Noir Oak Barrels with brett. Locally grown red currants added. 7%

Breakside / Aquavit Barrel-Aged Saison a Fleurs – Base Saison a Fleurs aged for five months in Krogstad Aquavit barrels. 9.7%

The Bruery / Sour in the Rye - Rye Ale aged in red wine barrels. 7.8%

Cascade / Luckië Charms - NW style sour blond ale aged in pinot barrels with apricots, raspberries, and cherries for up to 13 months. 7%

The Commons / Trillium - blend of wine barrel aged farmhouse ales with brett thrown in for good measure then dry hopped. 6%

Crux Fermentation Project / Doublecross - dark Belgian-style ale, 12 months in Oregon pinot noir barrels.. 12%

de Garde / Cherry Bu - Berliner Weiss aged in oak barrels with Montmorency cherries. 4.2%

Deschutes / Raspberry Sour Wit - wit + 40 lbs of raspberry puree, aged in Oregon Pinot barrels for 17 months and then two wild strains were added. 5.5%

Firestone / Parabola - Russian Imperial Stout Aged in Bourbon Barrels. 12.5%

Fish / 10 Squared (2012 / Dryfly) - anniversary Barley Wine Ale aged in Dryfly Whiskey barrels. 10%

Flat Tail / Wild from the Vine - Sour ale aged in (and with) 26 pounds per barrel of southern Oregon Syrah wine grapes. 11%

Fort George / North VII - winter ale aged in KY bourbon barrels they got 72-hours after they were emptied. Then they hopped it again. 9%

Great Divide / Barrel Aged Yeti - base Yeti aged for 20 months in used Fireside Whiskey barrels. 12.2%

Laurelwood / The Fauves - blend of Wit beer and a quad aged several years in wine and gin barrels. 6.2%

Nebraska / Black Betty - Russian Imperial aged in Stranahan’s Whiskey barrels. 9%

New Belgium / Transatlantique Kriek - lambic ale made with Polish cherries. 8%

Oakshire / Hermanne-1882 - Wine/Beer blend. Cuvée A Müller Thurgau and Belgian golden ale soured with brett and aged in pinot barrels for a year. 6.6%

Russian River / Supplication – Brown ale aged in Pinot Noir wine barrels for one year with sour cherries, wild yeast. 7%

Stone / The Tiger Cub - ale aged in White Wine Barrels with sour cherries. 8%

Upright / Bailey’s Seventh Anniversary Beer - base Six aged in a pinot barrel for 12 months with various fruits and wild yeast. 7%

To say I look forward to this on a yearly basis would be a bit of an understatement.

• Options
    Oh my word, Nitro Old Chub. This might be my number one beer. How can I ever go back?

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    RARE GIRTH

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    shadowane wrote: »
    Oh, the one in Philly? I'm going to that one too.

Cool! Going with about 14 people. See you there!

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    spec2spec2 Painted in my tiger skin Especially in MichiganRegistered User regular
    Took a trip to Chicago this week, and stopped in at the Revolution brewpub. I don't think any one beer stood out as a favorite like happens at some breweries, but then again there was not a single beer in the 15 or so I tried that I didn't enjoy, so that's pretty impressive. I'm definitely a fan of them now.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    This is a neat video, but I wonder if pouring a beer like that would be good? It looks like it could be, but I don't know enough about the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-rRRT8lS4s

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Because Ballast Point loves to try new things I am having a grapefruit enhanced Sculpin IPA. It is good, but I have to give it up to the Habernero Sculpin I had a few weeks back, as I could and have enjoyed a few of those back to back.

Maybe this one is even just a bit shy of normal Sculpin, it has a hint of grapefruit pith on the palate, and while it is interesting and not unwelcome, I feel like one and done is the way to go with this one.

• Options
    useruser Registered User regular
    Also that robot pours very similarly to how I have learned to pour from any bottle or can with a nitro widget inside.

• Options
    Hah, it took three months for Half Time to finally contact me and ask what was up with my credit card.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Tyrant526Tyrant526 Registered User regular
    So beer camp New England edition was amazing. Short lines. Awesome beers. Great time. Two stand outs for hoppy beers: two hearted by bell's and easy jack by Firestone walker. Two hearted was as good as people say, super candied citrus hops. And easy jack is definitely the best session IPA I've ever had

Maul360.png
  • Options
    Tried some Abita Turbodog today with lunch. Me thinks I need to start drinking more dark ales.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »

A Polo? In my hometown, the guy to do the first of every taps got his own bar stool with his name on it.

Eh I'm getting the horse before the cart here.
    See, thing is, Jack Brown's has been around long enough a few people have broken 1000 (at which point JB's will embroider or decal anything you give them)

I know I've seen a 1300 on the wall

• Options
    Bailey's birthday was fun, but I'm a little bummed they stopped doing anniversary glassware for the event. It was always nice to add to the chalice collection.

The bourbon barrel aged cider from 2 Towns was ridiculous.

This discussion has been closed.