Options

[XCOM] Thread Sabotaged by Exalt - Use the New Thread

• Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    And once again I learn why mistakes in XCOM will punish you with death. Also learned why the proverb "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is true.

Seeing as my team kept killing everything in sight, I wanted to try and add a 3rd sniper to the team. This meant the Heavy had to give up his spot since I somehow reasoned that I didn't really use them that much (much more forgetting all the times his 2 rockets made tricky situations very easy instead).

First mission with the new team causes me to realize that I totally forgot to upgrade my new sniper rookie with gear and that I made the mistake of switching the heavy out.

So second mission I get the heavy back in and leave out one of my two supports. Here is where everything goes wrong. Firstly, I again forget to upgrade my rookie sniper. Secondly, I switch out the support which had the only medkit on the entire team.

My support gets downed by a grenade and I have no way to stabilize him, so he dies a painful death after three turns. My heavy gets swarmed by Chrysalids, but manages to kill them all. However, he got poisoned and with one bar of health left, he also dies a painful death. Rest of the team did fine, but that was a really stupid mistake on my part.

So I want to say thanks to "Rogue" @TheKoolGang and "Collateral" @The_Infidel for staying with the team so long. You will be missed.

Yogo on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Eumerin wrote: »
    You can stun with more than 3 health, the chance is just really really low.

Given that I've failed three stuns in a row at 70% and better... I really wouldn't recommend it...

I once took and succeeded at a 30% stun chance. I only took it on a lark because it was my first move of the turn, he was the last enemy up in the mission, and I could lock him down literally forever with suppression and disabling shot and my entire team had 80%+ shots at him if need be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Ahh the lovely bugs of XCOM.

Was doing the final assault and somehow my SHIV got stuck in the ceiling unable to move at all. Tried to continue, but my team got shafted because I had a "lost" my point man and 6th member.

Gonna call BS on that and hard exit XCOM to restart the mission.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I miss the Small Launchers of the original.

Arc Launcher range is like...3 squares, I think? I mean, better than the Stun Rod (...maybe, given you don't get multiple shots in one turn)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I miss the Small Launchers of the original.

Arc Launcher range is like...3 squares, I think? I mean, better than the Stun Rod (...maybe, given you don't get multiple shots in one turn)

Also, the Arc Thrower only gets 2 uses.

I would give my left nut for an extra tech available immediately after the AT that upgrades it to 4 uses.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    Kinda miss autocannons too. Inaccurate as fuck and responsible for a disproportionate of blue-on-blue casualties because I thought it was a totes great idea to go full-auto on a Celatid creeping on my dudes or something, but god damn if it isn't cool shooting mad amounts of high explosive rounds.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Kinda miss autocannons too. Inaccurate as fuck and responsible for a disproportionate of blue-on-blue casualties because I thought it was a totes great idea to go full-auto on a Celatid creeping on my dudes or something, but god damn if it isn't cool shooting mad amounts of high explosive rounds.
    More importantly, the ability to say "fuck you terrain" whenever the hell you want.

The maps are smaller and there's less terrain I find objectionable to advance through, but I still occasionally find myself wanting to just take potshots with explosives just for the sake of knocking down what are probably empty walls.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2012
    More importantly, the ability to say "fuck you terrain" whenever the hell you want.

The maps are smaller and there's less terrain I find objectionable to advance through, but I still occasionally find myself wanting to just take potshots with explosives just for the sake of knocking down what are probably empty walls.

Recon by fire was a real strategy in the original XCOM, less so here. I used to hurl HE or put a rocket into any structure likely to house an extraterrestrial. Blaster Bombs later on, of course. Now, ammo and squad size restrictions have pretty much killed it as a viable tactic.

Plus the monster closet alien spawns and the fact that so many of the crucial missions revolve around the lame UFO interiors. Good game, but in a few years time when somebody mentions XCOM, I suspect it'll still be UFO Defense people remember, not Enemy Unknown.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    I am really really tired of those spaceship interiors. Holy shit.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    I am really really tired of those spaceship interiors. Holy shit.

UFO/base interiors gets old fast. Give me a diner or a pub to shoot up any day of the week.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    DLC pack is hitting 12/4 and costs $7. It's the Triad missions. Apparently one of the maps is an alien battleship that's still in flight, so the city is scrolling beneath you.

Ceno on
  • Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    Well that is woefully underwhelming for 7 bucks....

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    The DLC sounds laughably bad. I mean completely terrible cashgrab filler while we work on actual DLC bad.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Haha oh wow. Sticking to their CivV DLC payment plans eh? I guess we shouldn't hope for anything substantial from Firaxis

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Yo Firaxis: I would be willing to pay effing xpack prices (like 20-30 bones) for a piece that doubled the maps, including some maps with a goddamed farm and white picket fences. That's it. That's all you gots to do. None of this set of story mission nonsense to get some named character who's destined for the memorial wall anyway. This isn't Mass Effect; no one cares.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I want the missions even though it sounds like a poor value for the money. New maps sound neat, and blaster launchers that I can use for more than 2 missions sound great, too. For three missions and a hero unit though, I think $3 sounds like a better value proposition.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am not really that excited about this, but it's clear it was conceived well before the game came out and they were aware it would do so well (exceeded their expectations for sure). I kind of want some of the new customization options and a route to blaster launchers without needing to shoot down a battleship (or have one rarely spawn) isn't a bad thing (deliberately letting a UFO go to spawn a battleship triggers my OCD like mad). At the same time, this is IMO the complete opposite of what good DLC for this game should look like.

But I think 2k are more than aware of this and we will be seeing something more substantial next year.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Registered User regular
    Yo Firaxis: I would be willing to pay effing xpack prices (like 20-30 bones) for a piece that doubled the maps, including some maps with a goddamed farm and white picket fences. That's it. That's all you gots to do. None of this set of story mission nonsense to get some named character who's destined for the memorial wall anyway. This isn't Mass Effect; no one cares.

This! Give me some farm maps, even better just replace all crashed UFO's with farms. I'll just pretend farm houses are the aliens cloaking device.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Richard wrote: »

This! Give me some farm maps, even better just replace all crashed UFO's with farms. I'll just pretend farm houses are the aliens cloaking device.

Farm Terror Missions!
    Save the cows before the Chrysalids get to them.
    This would actually work, and it'd explain why the 'civilians' are so stupid they won't just run away.
    (Would also lead to fantastic bugs if they still had the occasional 'jump through a window to escape' moments civvies do.)

Ooo, new facility idea: Cloning tanks.
    Kind of works like the Psi-testing, you put someone in there, and after 20-odd days they come back out.
    Now you can 'grow' replacement troops of the same skill as the template soldier. The downside is the cost and the fact that they take so long to grow.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    They also have a tendency to go insane, kill all your teammates, and steal a clone tank to raise an army of atomic genetic supermen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    If you start cloning, then the aliens win.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Stop cloning around.

Also this DLC is $7? For a couple of missions and some dude?

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    3 missions (Council ones). Some tacticool triad guy, and 3 helmets.

• Options
    TraikanTraikan Registered User regular
    It should probably scare me how much I want those 3 helmets, but it really doesn't. More customization!

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    3 missions (Council ones). Some tacticool triad guy, and 3 helmets.

It also unlocks Blaster Launcher/Fusion Lance research at any point in the game, without having to down a battleship.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    You know, somebody was saying the other day that this game doesn't need to go overboard on the classes, keep it at 4 or 5 at the most -- since the classes work so well together.

I kinda take the opposite view. The fact that they work so well together is good for a while, but it also means that it's (usually) pretty easy to set up exactly the squad you want. I mean, I always have two snipers, one assault, and then 2 heavy + 1 support/2 support + 1 heavy, depending on how explody I'm feeling that day and who comes back Gifted.

I think it'd be really cool if instead, I was working with a conglomeration of like 20* classes, with no guarantee I'd ever even see a sniper in the early game. Trying to piece together a workable set of tactics with a squad make-up that is wildly variable. It would multiply the replay value of the game by a factor of whoa.
    *Might be hyperbole. Might.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    You know, somebody was saying the other day that this game doesn't need to go overboard on the classes, keep it at 4 or 5 at the most -- since the classes work so well together.

I kinda take the opposite view. The fact that they work so well together is good for a while, but it also means that it's (usually) pretty easy to set up exactly the squad you want. I mean, I always have two snipers, one assault, and then 2 heavy + 1 support/2 support + 1 heavy, depending on how explody I'm feeling that day and who comes back Gifted.

I think it'd be really cool if instead, I was working with a conglomeration of like 20* classes, with no guarantee I'd ever even see a sniper in the early game. Trying to piece together a workable set of tactics with a squad make-up that is wildly variable. It would multiply the replay value of the game by a factor of whoa.
    *Might be hyperbole. Might.

Eh, 20 classes is just bloat.

What would work better is a semi-randomised draw system for skills. So sort skills by class and tier, each dude gets 3 tier 1 skills, 3 tier 2 and 2 tier 3 skills.

Whenever leveling up you draw 5 skills from the pool, 2 of which are garunteed to be for your class and you can pick one. OFT upgrades could increase the amount of skills drawn and let you see future draws ahead of promotion to let you plan better.

That way you get the cobbled together squad feeling without being entirely knackered for control over things (which to me is the definition of XCOM, maxamising the most out of semi-random crap).

Alternatively, just full on rip-off Games Workshop and steal the skill progression systems from: Necromunda, Blood Bowl or Mordehiem. Any of them really, they're pretty much the same (also on that note, someone fucking make a Necromunda game now we've proven that TBS with rage inducing die rolls and perma-death can be a success in the market).

• Options
    scherbchenscherbchen Asgard (it is dead)Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    I really like both of those ideas. the random pool idea would work great as a second wave option. both would increase replayability by a best of your metric tons.

but I have to ask... how Triage would those options be? when that is all that really matters.

scherbchen on
  • Options
    As in how much could you correct it when the game deals you a bad hand?

Large number of random classes would leave you little to no correction potential unless there was some OFT upgrade to switch soldiers into 'close disciplines' or something like that so you ha some control.

Randomised pool hasn't got correction potential but has the ability to plan for where the hicup will be through upgrades that'd let you see more of the progression.

Personally the main draw of randomised pool is with that sort of set up I suspect you could have alot more quirky or passive upgrades for your troopers which would mean more variety.

• Options
    Well, have a Sniper at Colonel now. Kind of a horrifying angel of death.

And now I'm going to have her ride the pine while I start cycling more guys in to build up a deep roster.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    And now I'm going to have her ride the pine

Heh.

Hehehehe.

That's DLC worth paying for.
    I'm not sorry.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Also, according to the latest 2k blog post, the DLC comes with new Armor Decos as well. That alone makes it worth it for me, because I like playing dress up. :P

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    I like the new customization options. Hats, helmets, and armor deco yeah!

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Sadly, it also means you get the new missions for every game as your first council missions.

I mean, I'd pay for the new armor and stuff. (Not 7 bucks, but some). But if it makes the game worse elsewise, no thanks.

(Also, even by XCOM standards, having a Triad gangster be more badass than your hardened squad of Mossad, Spetsnaz, SAS, and SEAL vets seems silly. Yes, I know your rookies don't act much like hardened special operations vets, but it's what the manual says.)

• Options
    I've always thought that Xcom operatives are baseball players.

Which is why they all have American accents and the ability to perfectly throw grenades.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    My theory for old X-COM is that all the operatives were perpetually drunk on cheap vodka.

It explains everything.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Sadly, it also means you get the new missions for every game as your first council missions.

I mean, I'd pay for the new armor and stuff. (Not 7 bucks, but some). But if it makes the game worse elsewise, no thanks.

(Also, even by XCOM standards, having a Triad gangster be more badass than your hardened squad of Mossad, Spetsnaz, SAS, and SEAL vets seems silly. Yes, I know your rookies don't act much like hardened special operations vets, but it's what the manual says.)
    If that Triad gangster was Mr. Chang from Black Lagoon, that would make perfect sense.
    I've always thought that Xcom operatives are baseball players.

Which is why they all have American accents and the ability to perfectly throw grenades.
    Did you play the original?

I will tell you that they most certainly did not perfectly throw grenades there. :lol:

The current version is very forgiving with its grenades, they are able to make alot of tosses I would not ordinarily expect them to make.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    They can't miss in this one.

And I've only played two games so far, but the map repitition is already getting tiresome.

• Options
    So, apparently SHIVs are something kind of awesome? I haven't bothered to do the research yet since they're so pricy.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I don't really give a shit what DLC they put out. I'm not a fan of the small DLC for a (relative) premium stuff, but I was/am so excited that they're continuing the XCOM strategy games because no one makes games like this anymore, and I'm going to just happily buy whatever they put out for it because I want them to make another one.

Are you the magic man?