As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Life of [Raspberry] Pi

1235»

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I am considering building a multi effects pedal board for my guitar using my old pi3b+ as a fun project

But on the other hand I'm extremely bad at soldering, and worse about building any kind of enclosure

But it doesn't seem impossible with a bit of tinkering, mainly I'll need a USB audio interface, a few momentary switches and maybe pots, miscellaneous wires, maybe a touch screen if I don't want to make the unit headless somehow. Oh and a fan and heatsink for the pi itself since it'll need overclocking for latency issues.

Anyone ever tried anything like this?
    You should start with a PCB design tool, like KiCAD:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KiCad

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Looking at upgrading some RPi2s to RPi4-5s.

I think the RPi4 should be sufficient and the most 'drop-in' replacement, but the A76 of the RPi5 is tempting to wait for (but the requirement for active cooling puts a small frown on my face, but such is the price for performance).

Thoughts of the PA-RPi users?

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular

I think the RPi4 should be sufficient and the most 'drop-in' replacement, but the A76 of the RPi5 is tempting to wait for (but the requirement for active cooling puts a small frown on my face, but such is the price for performance).

Do you need the extra processing power of the pi5? If not, the pi4 is more than sufficient for most needs. It's got native gigabit ethernet and a couple of USB3 ports.

Additionally both the pi5 and pi4 max out at 8GB memory right now if that is your constraint.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

Do you need the extra processing power of the pi5? If not, the pi4 is more than sufficient for most needs. It's got native gigabit ethernet and a couple of USB3 ports.

Additionally both the pi5 and pi4 max out at 8GB memory right now if that is your constraint.

Probably not, but it's one of those things where the usage will probably expand to the capacity.

I do think the RPi4 will be sufficient for an upgrade (coming from the RPi2), too. Just got tempted by the big A76, and possible other things that didn't surface for me in the news/blog post.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular

I've got a (probably) 4 running a Homebridge instance and my Pihole, and the resource utilization on it has basically never moved off "zero". They're beefy little fuckers.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    The Pi foundation does allege that without any cooling the Pi 5 does perform better than the Pi 4, but that it does get thermally limited. So you're leaving performance on the table but still faster than the 4.

The biggest downside to the 5, in my opinion, is the lack of a 3.5mm audio jack. Doesn't matter for every application, but there are some that the Pi 5 just won't be a good fit for because of it. I think that's the main reason they're going to keep selling for the 4 for the forseeable future.

Related: you know what we really need: an updated Pi Zero. I'd kill for a Pi Zero 3 with two USB C ports. I think you could go to Micro HDMI (I don't love the port but with the 4 and 5 both using it, at least it would be commonality) and if you do go go Micro HDMI there might be room for a 3.5mm audio jack.

Throw in 1 or 2GB of RAM and suddenly you have a Zero that could actually replace a lot of those older Pi 2's out in the world. Give it a bit more processing power, maybe in line with the Pi 3 as well and it could take some Pi 3 workloads as well.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    The Pi foundation does allege that without any cooling the Pi 5 does perform better than the Pi 4, but that it does get thermally limited. So you're leaving performance on the table but still faster than the 4.

{snip}

I do wonder how good the thermal throttling in the RPi kernel for ver5 will be. Thermal issues scream reduced lifespan to me, so like it might still perform better than the RPi4 but will it last as long without active cooling? (This is rhetorical mostly because there'd need to be some characterization needed to provide a robust answer).

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »

{snip}

I do wonder how good the thermal throttling in the RPi kernel for ver5 will be. Thermal issues scream reduced lifespan to me, so like it might still perform better than the RPi4 but will it last as long without active cooling? (This is rhetorical mostly because there'd need to be some characterization needed to provide a robust answer).

My opinion, but I think people spend waaaay too much time worrying about thermals across the industry. The silicon is designed to operate at the temperatures they operate at. If they didn't, they wouldn't operate. the Pi does not begin to throttle speeds until it reaches 80C, which means that the processor is designed to run at 80C sustained. the thermal limits are there to prevent any chip from getting to a point where it will sustain damage, there's usually a fair amount of safety margin. It would be dumb to let it run right up to the actual thermal limit of the silicon.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Oh hey the Pi 5 I ordered on launch day has finally shipped and will actually be here before Christmas.

I have no specific need/use for it besides testing to see if a Pi 5 with 8GB of RAM can actually function as a good enough everyday computer. Plan on trying Pi OS then hacking Windows on ARM onto it.

• Options
    edited January 27
    Zilla360 on
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    I know we all love the Raspberry Pi but prepare to be disappointed:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/01/raspberry-pi-is-preparing-for-an-ipo-in-london-for-likely-more-than-500m/

Raspberry Pi is planning a London IPO, but its CEO expects “no change” in focus
    Eben Upton says hobbyists remain "incredibly important" while he's involved.

Good little buddy, we hardly knew you.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    On that note my Turing RK1 CMs are in Sweden now, so hopefully I'll have them by next week.

Was just grumbling over the state of my little home cluster that I really want to remake from scratch.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I know we all love the Raspberry Pi but prepare to be disappointed:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2024/01/raspberry-pi-is-preparing-for-an-ipo-in-london-for-likely-more-than-500m/

Raspberry Pi is planning a London IPO, but its CEO expects “no change” in focus
    Eben Upton says hobbyists remain "incredibly important" while he's involved.

Good little buddy, we hardly knew you.

Countdown to this thread seeing people talking about their "Raspberry Account" and bitching that "$9.99 a month isn't a lot for the Unlimited Devices option, but it sure feels a lot, especially when you're putting up with ads as well"

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Echo wrote: »
    On that note my Turing RK1 CMs are in Sweden now, so hopefully I'll have them by next week.

Was just grumbling over the state of my little home cluster that I really want to remake from scratch.

aww yiss

dntl3rxs5mqc.png